The LRR CD-ROM Game

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Re: The LRR CD-ROM Game

Postby AlexanderDitto » 17 Jan 2011, 12:49

This was good. This was so, so good.

...not only did I try to click on the shirt when Paul told me to... I kept trying to click throughout the video. XD Augh, it was so painful watching them freak out about me not clicking... I kept trying! Must have paused the video 10 times.

...that threshold effect makes everyone look very different. Especially James. He looked really young for some reason. Also Kathleen's bosom shines with the white light of a thousand fiery suns.

Oh CD-ROMs. I will not miss you.
Nanosauromo
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby Nanosauromo » 17 Jan 2011, 12:52

Okay, that? That was GREAT. I haven't laughed that hard at a LRR video since Trapped. I have fond(?) memories of those shitty 90s adventure games and the video, in addition to being funny because of the crew's reactions to the "player's" lack of action, was somewhat of a nostalgia trip. Bravo, dudes.

I take it this is meant to be the season premiere? It's at the beginning of the year, the whole crew appears, and it's laugh out loud hilarious. If so then congratulations on making it to your 8th season!
TypeYourNameHere
First Video: The LRR CD ROM Game

Postby TypeYourNameHere » 17 Jan 2011, 12:58

Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 17 Jan 2011, 13:10

ahhhh nostalgia most powerful of forces
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
goat

Postby goat » 17 Jan 2011, 13:11

Yaxley wrote:I'm curious what bit of awesomeness Nick Haines did to have it specifically mentioned in the credits.

Also, Jer's happy pirate smiles slay me.

I'm curious to know as well.

TypeYourNameHere wrote:

I fucking love you. SO. HARD.
------------------------------

But really, did you guys green screen yourself into your own office? Fucking genius.

Also, great work on that filter. It actually looks like low-res FMV. I kind of want to see that in HD....
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 17 Jan 2011, 13:21

:*D

And here I was, worried that you weren't going to do a series finale. Amazing.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 17 Jan 2011, 13:54

That
was
GENIUS.

I'm actually kind of sad that I wasn't allowed to click anything, even when I tried. :(

1) Huge thumbs up to Jer and Paul for the writing.

2) The music was great, especially when the alien ships stopped moving

3) Typeyournamehere wasted a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY that day. What was he or she thinking? Oh wait...

4) I wouldn't call the effects 'top notch', but since that was the whole idea, it was brilliant. Completely like the real thing.

5) Orange hair + Bear hat = Awesome.

5.5) Jer in a pirate outfit = Awesome.

6) The stills from the fight were hilarious.

7) The stinger was the icing on the already delicious cake.

This is now one of my favourite LRR videos.
Last edited by WAYF on 17 Jan 2011, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 17 Jan 2011, 13:56

So I'm not the only one who forgot that it was a video for a while and actually tried to play the game at the beginning? Great.
RLYoshi
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby RLYoshi » 17 Jan 2011, 14:04

Two things I must admit.

1. I didnt try clicking the shirt, but I tried typing in for entering your name.
2. I thought it was Tim, not Matt, in the preview picture (the one you click on while on the site to advance to the video).

Also, it would be AWESOME if someone actually made a LRR game! *IDEA*

If, somehow, I made a decent LoadingReadyRun game and burned it to a disc, could I send it in for Desert Bus 5's auctions?
I fight for TRUTH! JUSTICE! And DONUTS!

...not really the first two.
Nanosauromo
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby Nanosauromo » 17 Jan 2011, 14:08

RLYoshi wrote:If, somehow, I made a decent LoadingReadyRun game and burned it to a disc, could I send it in for Desert Bus 5's auctions?

Bonus points if it's a Sega CD game.
Last edited by Nanosauromo on 18 Jan 2011, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 17 Jan 2011, 14:22

This was genius. Bravo.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Herald

Postby Herald » 17 Jan 2011, 14:42

BEST. LRR. VIDEO. EVAH!!!

:D :D :D :D :D
"This signature is blank when you are not looking at it."
RLYoshi
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby RLYoshi » 17 Jan 2011, 14:51

Ok, after reality caught up with me, I realized making a LRR video game would be beyond my current technical capabilities.

BUT...

What about...a LoadingReadyRun Card Game? Would anyone be interested?
I fight for TRUTH! JUSTICE! And DONUTS!

...not really the first two.
Mighty Magnus
First Video: Phailhaus - 26

Postby Mighty Magnus » 17 Jan 2011, 14:52

Sweet Jesus on a jet-ski, now that was funny. :D

Does this show us all just how many games like this the LRR crew has played/been subjected to?

I will neither confirm nor deny any allegations of 'clicking' when asked to......but I might have done something close to it...
Life is not a race, it's a journey. Stop running, start enjoying.
Fugiman
First Video: Halo

Postby Fugiman » 17 Jan 2011, 15:12

Progress:
- Installed flash development tools
- Downloaded hi-res version of video
- Planned segments of video to make "cut-scenes" and "interactive" portions

To-Do:
- Actually slice the video
- Hook everything together
- Export and upload

Right now I can't see a way to make it super-awesome. Basically it will just be the video, but click-able :(
Twitter | Google+ | Steam
ClickQuest | MineCraft | Team Fortress 2
Alahmnat
First Video: The Future of Sex

Postby Alahmnat » 17 Jan 2011, 15:25

GreigKM wrote:And the name of the animation file is...? pageloop.bik. Now you all get the reference!

I must confess I'm very curious which version of Myst you played that not only used Bink videos, but had a separate loop for that bit. All the copies I have use a single quicktime file for that sequence (ATR1PAGE.MOV, specifically... yes I went and looked) that the game loops programmatically between a pair of timestamps until you click on Atrus.

But now I'm derailing the thread with nostalgic pedantry.

Fear my Myst pedantry... it's about the only thing I'm good at on the internet.
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 17 Jan 2011, 15:41

Fugiman wrote:Right now I can't see a way to make it super-awesome. Basically it will just be the video, but click-able :(

How is that not super awesome?
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 17 Jan 2011, 16:14

Alahmnat wrote:
GreigKM wrote:And the name of the animation file is...? pageloop.bik. Now you all get the reference!

I must confess I'm very curious which version of Myst you played that not only used Bink videos, but had a separate loop for that bit. All the copies I have use a single quicktime file for that sequence (ATR1PAGE.MOV, specifically... yes I went and looked) that the game loops programmatically between a pair of timestamps until you click on Atrus.

But now I'm derailing the thread with nostalgic pedantry.

Fear my Myst pedantry... it's about the only thing I'm good at on the internet.

realMYST, the lesser known, and (in my opinion) better version of the game. pageloop.bik was a corrupted file in all shipped versions of the game, it would infinitely play and never let you progress, there was a fix, and the new Steam version uses it. The version you are referring to is the original for Mac, or the latter Windows port, or maybe the Masterpiece edition. Yeah, don't question a member of MYSTcommunity on these things...

EDIT: Oh yes, and the newer iOS port uses Bink video, as such the pageloop.bik exists in the files.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 17 Jan 2011, 17:06

WHY LRR? WHY YOU MAKE ME SO SAD? I wanted to click the shirt. SO MUCH. I tried, even though I knew it was just a video. And you shouted at me anyway. :cry:

I loved this. I wish the crew had time to write (or even just help guide) the development of a game like this. I would do everything I could to help! Even if it was just buy it~!
Alahmnat
First Video: The Future of Sex

Postby Alahmnat » 17 Jan 2011, 18:37

GreigKM wrote:realMYST, the lesser known, and (in my opinion) better version of the game. pageloop.bik was a corrupted file in all shipped versions of the game, it would infinitely play and never let you progress, there was a fix, and the new Steam version uses it. The version you are referring to is the original for Mac, or the latter Windows port, or maybe the Masterpiece edition. Yeah, don't question a member of MYSTcommunity on these things...

EDIT: Oh yes, and the newer iOS port uses Bink video, as such the pageloop.bik exists in the files.

Ah, I'd forgotten about realMYST with all of its Bink-y, Indeo 5-y codec oddity goodness. I think it lost some of the charm of the original, personally (a lot of the animations seem much more sterile to me), but overall it's got a better end-game and connection to the rest of the series, and the graphics are pretty sweet, especially considering the era. You are correct though, I was referring to the classic/masterpiece slideshow version. You are also the only person I've seen speak of realMYST in the realm outside the cloistered halls of MYSTcommunity.com, which is part of why I got confused ;).

And actually, the iOS port doesn't use Bink, it uses H.264 m4v videos, and some fancy sprite animations where FMVs aren't possible due to API limitations (I have the whole .ipa package unpacked on my hard drive to back me up on this one ;)). It also eliminates the click action in that video entirely (now titled "Atrus1 Page-F.m4v"), going straight from "did you bring the page? Ah, give it to me." to "You've done the right thing" without user intervention. Kind of irksome, but probably a limitation of the video playback routines in the API.

-----

Okay, derailment over. Greig is right, never start one of these conversations with another Myst nut ;).

I dunno if anyone else here was lucky(?) enough to have a younger sibling for whom their parents bought the interactive CD "Muppet Treasure Island" game back in the day, but on a second viewing, this video really reminded me of it quite a lot. More than it reminded me of Myst, actually (outside of Paul's shirtloop). There was a LOT of characters-talking-to-the-camera-giving-directions stuff in that game, though you were playing the pre-defined role of Jim Hawkins instead of Nameless Faceless Genderless Mute Protagonist Person. The crummy-looking cross-fades and sometimes jarring scenery shifts between images also made a strong showing.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 17 Jan 2011, 18:59

We can totally provide the vocal track and music track separately, if you want.

Also, props must be thrust again onto Bradley, who made all of this week's music on actual 1990s-era equipment.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 17 Jan 2011, 19:06

Well, Alahmnat, thanks to you my bank of Myst knowledge is now greater. I haven't bothered extracting the IPA of Myst... Man, now I miss MYSTcommunity, it's just WAY too slow...

Also, I'm glad Fungiman has no excuse not to make the game anymore! :lol:
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
RoentgeniumFinger

Postby RoentgeniumFinger » 17 Jan 2011, 19:34

I think something is wrong with my computer. I clicked on the shirt and it just froze up on me. I tried clicking again and it unfroze. I clicked a third time and it completely froze up again... this game sucks :(

But you know what, if the "no click" loops were strung together, I think it would make an awesome video that would compel a non-entity on the forums to come by and praise you. if only...
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 17 Jan 2011, 19:45

Graham wrote:We can totally provide the vocal track and music track separately, if you want.

Also, props must be thrust again onto Bradley, who made all of this week's music on actual 1990s-era equipment.
The music was easily my favorite part of the video. It really made it.

But definitely my favorite video in a while.
Image Image Image
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 17 Jan 2011, 19:46

Fugiman wrote:Right now I can't see a way to make it super-awesome. Basically it will just be the video, but click-able :(

I'm going to choose to read that sentence as "making fan-made bug fixes".
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”