Men

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Re: Men

Postby WAYF » 24 Jan 2011, 19:55

Kathleen wrote:Ok, seriously everyone, I'm getting really annoyed about the man cooking thing - here and on the escapist.

Me too, actually. The best analogy I can think of is it being like people complaining that this week's Doctor Who episode didn't feature daleks.

(Plus, Morgan tends to cry a lot around onions. The network might've considered that a bit un-manly)

Ignoring that, the jokes were actually brilliant. James makes a really good testosterone-poisoned action hero; the sheer simplicity yet aptness of the "Explosions While Women Moan" and the "Squad of Heroes Corps". And I would definitely pay to watch a reclining armchair match... and I don't even know what that's supposed to look like.

And... something else... oh yeah! How many costumes did you guys need for this video?
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
robothero
First Video: Ways to drink a Coke?

Postby robothero » 24 Jan 2011, 21:14

goat wrote:edit: what happened to Asskick 3: Midnight Meatfist?
They said "Vanderpunch returns" for Asskick 4 because he wasn't in Asskick 3, which is the worst of the Asskicks.

I laughed the loudest at Tankmandos.

And to compliment something in the post-production, the orange outlines around everyone is exactly the sort of thing they would do on one of these channels.

I assume it's come up before, what do you do 3D graphics in?
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 24 Jan 2011, 21:50

Why don't you credit Gibb in your videos? I thought it might be because the Escapist doesn't know him, but I checked Rapstar 64k and he's not mentioned there either.

Also: I don't know what was going on between Alex and Gibb in Tuk Tuk Scrappers, but that was easily my favorite preview.
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
Slack Mesa
First Video: Green

Postby Slack Mesa » 24 Jan 2011, 22:44

I laughed at several of the jokes, and I liked the overall concept, but the video didn't really click with me. I think the reason is that it consisted of steady riffing on one theme. I've grown accustomed to skits that establish a pattern and then break it. E.g., "coming up next, on an all-new episode of Psycho Garage, Dirk Throttle and his crew have 24 hours to build a top fuel drag racer out of a stolen police car. Then at 9, Gunther Slate stars as a man out for revenge in the world television premiere of Dead Rage 2: Payback. And after that, The View."
Casandro

Postby Casandro » 24 Jan 2011, 22:56

Ohh I've heard of Spike TV. I cannot get it here.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 24 Jan 2011, 23:35

robothero wrote:
They said "Vanderpunch returns" for Asskick 4 because he wasn't in Asskick 3, which is the worst of the Asskicks.
CORRECT!

That's what I was trying to infer, anyway.
Mighty Magnus
First Video: Phailhaus - 26

Postby Mighty Magnus » 25 Jan 2011, 05:54

Good Lord! The manliness is FLOWING THROUGH ME!!!

Mustaches, fighting, butt-steak, random manly shows, Gib, moaning and expolsions......, I'm.. so.. happy.. and manly.. :D

Ah, it good to get that out of my system, now I need a cigarette.
Hmm, well I'll just have to pull off a tree branch, hack it up with a chain-saw and roll it up in a piece of carpet. AND I DON'T EVEN SMOKE!!!

In all seriousness, that was good. I'd say you've done better (maybe not as complex or hectic) but it still a good laugh.
Life is not a race, it's a journey. Stop running, start enjoying.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 25 Jan 2011, 07:30

I very much enjoyed the parody of Spike, though the wife was only really tickled by the wrestling confrontation. I think she has a thing for Matt. I, at least, agree that Matt does those types of characters fantastically, though my favorite Matt is still Ryan Quickbender. For better or worse, Matt, you play dicks very well and that's better than not being good at any character.

The graphics were obviously the key to the video. When I saw it was only about 3 minutes, I knew it had to be pretty intensive one way or another. I think this is right up there with Tuscon or Bust and that's saying something.

To Man Cooking, it's not a criticism of the rest of the video in question, it's the love of Morgan. In that vein, I would've liked to see Pimp My Chair make an appearance.

It had the Rapidfire feel to it which was a nice stroll down memory lane. I know the Crap Shots have taken up the Rapidfire mantle, but they're not a perfect replacement.

I don't think I want to know which collection of stock sounds that Graham had to acquire to get a woman moaning. It would've been cheaper to have Kathleen or Tally do it. :wink:

Kudos all around, folks.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
karl256
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby karl256 » 25 Jan 2011, 09:03

After intense training and watching the channel non-stop. maybe I can join beard growing Olympic team
Steam|Google+|Twitter|Skype ID: karl256

Truth complicates reality lets have less of it ok.
Triangular
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Triangular » 25 Jan 2011, 11:13

Haha, nice one guys. Best in a while in my opinion.
Always speak your mind, those that matter wont mind,
and those that mind, don't matter
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 25 Jan 2011, 11:15

Graham wrote:
robothero wrote:
CORRECT!

That's what I was trying to infer, anyway.

(imply - the viewers would infer.)

-m

I am not angry at you.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 25 Jan 2011, 11:59

Man Cooking not on MEN? Meh. No biggie.

As for the other parts of the video, I think that people who didn't get each of the little jokes may have forgotten that the overall joke was "this is a crappy cable network pandering to hypermasculinity and failing miserably at it", which is EXACTLY what Spike is. I agree with Graham, though, I miss the days when CSI, TNG, and Ninja Warrior/Viking were on Spike.

"Explosions While Women Moan" would be part of Spike though.
Ed.
First Video: Desert bus 3 (started at day 3)

Postby Ed. » 25 Jan 2011, 12:42

i dont get all tghe man cooking demands the only LRR joke show that might have fit would be pimp my chair but James already had loads of awsome roles

Explosions while women moan had my laughing so much having everything build up to it soo good.
Spoilers for your life.
The main character dies at the end.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 25 Jan 2011, 14:40

Kathleen wrote:Ok, seriously everyone, I'm getting really annoyed about the man cooking thing - here and on the escapist.

I do apologise if my comments were taken in any other manner, than praise. My suggestion was that the video was Morgan-deficient was meant to be a joke. Frankly it would have been hard to improve on this video, and I think perhaps adding Man Cooking in there would actually have detracted from the overall theme of the video.

This was a hilarious video, and seeing Graham's comments I was aware of the effort that went into making this video, and frankly it shows.

Whilst you were parodying a specific television channel, one that I have not personally watched, I still found the entire video hilarious. Of course I was aware of the genre you were parodying, but the video stood on it's own as a silly joke, even without the inside knowledge of its intended target.

Green-screening was top notch, you've really perfected your technique for doing this now.

The rapid-fire combination of silly jokes, hilarious images, and multiple fake hairpieces (including the same wig used by Matt and Graham) just kept me laughing all the way through.

This week's video was a great start to Season 8 and it's fantastic to see that you're continually playing with the style of videos that you produce and still managing to be funny at the same time.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Nanosauromo
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby Nanosauromo » 25 Jan 2011, 17:47

Come to think of it, you guys have done so many fake TV shows that you could potentially launch your own TV network:

-Man Cooking
-Pimp My Chair
-Is this a Date?
-House of the Dead
-Insomnia House
-RapStar 64K (clearly this hypothetical network has some sort of deal with Jeremy Michaels)
-Action 9 News
-Antique Street Show
-Poker Before Dusk
-You Just Got Fridged
-ComodoreHUSTLE (it's practically a TV show already, just needs to be a bit longer)
-Iron Stomach Challenge (could work as a show, maybe.)
-ENN

No doubt I've overlooked several shows.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 25 Jan 2011, 18:58

OK.

This is THE BEST video since Son of a Bitch.

THE BEST

THE. BEST.
Nosliw87
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby Nosliw87 » 25 Jan 2011, 21:00

Women moaning with explosions is a MUCH better program than Women exploding with moaning, im glad they took that off the air. =D.

also ar-MEGA-don stinger; AWESOME.

I would actually watch spike if they brought MXC back, now that was a funny show!
PodX140
First Video: The Job

Postby PodX140 » 25 Jan 2011, 21:38

By only focusing what we didn't put in, everyone is ignoring all the hard work we DID put into the video and the 24 HOURS + (three full days) of post production work Graham slaved over.

A little respect for the jokes that WERE in the video please.

I found the entire video hilarious, and I'm sure the people commenting on the lack of M.C. Simply were poking fun, much like the a friend poking another friend about his weight, even though they're like .5 pounds apart and fully fit. Hm. Err...

Ok, I see your point :P

But in all seriousness, I found the video hilarious, and I'm sure everyone who bothered to post did so as well, and the M.C people maybe even moreso, that's why the need to voice their minor disappointment at a lack of Morgan.
SONIC_WOLF
First Video: unskippable: eternal sonata

Postby SONIC_WOLF » 25 Jan 2011, 22:47

metcarfre wrote:OK.

This is THE BEST video since Son of a Bitch.

THE BEST

THE. BEST.

I personally wouldnt say THE BEST, as i love all the crews work equally, but its definitely the hardest i've laughed since S.O.B.

p.s. random thought i had at the end of the stinger " omg CHAIRMAGEDDON !! Its like ArMEGAdon times a thousand , but with CHAIRS ! "
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 25 Jan 2011, 23:01

Well, this is surely the one I've laughed hardest at since. :D

Which is funny, because normally I really dislike it when LRR does parody. [quizzical smiley]

Perhaps it's because I'm more familiar with the subject of the parody than in other cases.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 26 Jan 2011, 09:30

And, y'know.. y'are allowed to like different things. ;)
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 26 Jan 2011, 12:26

I haven't seen this get brought up yet, but "Men Who Service Vehicles" made me laugh so hard I thought I was going to die. Partly because of the fake beard Matt was wearing, but mostly because of how lost everyone looked in that promo, as if they weren't sure what was happening or why they were even there.

The freeze-frame of James' face during the "Fighting Mad" promo was priceless.

Graham wrote:Oh yeah!

The moan was actually a stock sound effect :D

Really? I could have sworn it sounded like Kathleen did the voice-over for that...
ImageImageImageImage
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 26 Jan 2011, 12:46

Vanguard wrote:Really? I could have sworn it sounded like Kathleen did the voice-over for that...

I thought the same, but that's probably because I didn't expect them to use stock audio.

However, that doesn't take away from the fact (opinion?) that it sounds like Kathleen.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 26 Jan 2011, 17:48

Nosliw87 wrote:I would actually watch spike if they brought MXC back, now that was a funny show!

That was really the only show I had to watch on Spike. CSI and TNG were on other channels as well. That said, you now have "Wipeout" on ABC that serves the same purpose as MXC.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 26 Jan 2011, 18:24

The British version of Wipeout is better, if only because Richard Hammond is the presenter.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”