iPhone Alternative

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Stephen_S

Postby Stephen_S » 25 Jun 2007, 17:03

You guys made it onto flixxy:

http://www.flixxy.com/iphone-alternative.htm
Le grá,

Steve
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 25 Jun 2007, 19:38

Morgan wrote:i am gonna be a cheap fuck
I can't think of a signature.
Under13

Postby Under13 » 26 Jun 2007, 11:38

Lawman wrote:
Morgan wrote:
Lawman wrote:When all of them are combined in one device, the quality just goes down.

wrong
[Sony Ericsson Cybershot]

What I mean to say is that my iPod has 30GB of storage while the Cybershot only has 64MB; I have a 7 megapixel camera but the phone only has a 3.2 megapixel camera; and I'm quite sure its video capture capabilities are not as good as that of a standard video camera. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Cybershot is a great phone, but it will never be as good in terms of quality as buying separate devices each dedicated to doing one thing.

The whole purpose here, I think, is consolidation. Bells and whistles added onto cel phones don't need to be absolutely-cutting-edge-best-thing-out-there to be useful and/or competitive. I absolutely ahbor electronics-creep, so the fewer total things that I carry around in my pocket, the better. I am completely happy with the 1GB of storage on my W300i's memory stick. I honestly do not NEED more, because usually the only time I'm listening to music for long periods of time is while I'm driving, and the only MP3s that I put on my phone are ones that I do have on CD. If I have it on CD, I'm going to listen to it through my car's CD player. I don't need my entire CD collection stuffed into my phone, because I already have the CDs I'm currently interested in listening to stuffed into the changer. I realize that this is just my situation, and that this sort of thing does not necessarily fit everyone's life. But it fits mine. I didn't NEED to have my MP3s in my car; if that had been a big enough priority for me, I probably already would have a MP3 player by now. But it was something that was nice to have added into my life, since I was needing to get a new cel phone anyway, and there were some offered that had this built-in.

The camera is by no means jaw-dropping, but does it need to be? I see the camera built into my phone as akin to keeping a disposable single-use 35mm camera on-hand in my glove compartment. If I'm at an event where I'm going to want to capture pictures, odds are I'll have my single-purpose digital camera with me. Oh man, the batteries are dead? Dang, I guess I'll use my phone. That's better than nothing at all, right? If I'm on the way to work and someone rear-ends me, I'll take insurance pictures with my phone; it will certainly be good enough, and now I don't have to worry about whether or not the two-year-old film in that single-use 35mm has deteriorated.

Some of you guys are too young to remember, but back when cellular phones started to pick up momentum, lots of people didn't see any need for them in the first place. "If I need to make a phone call, I'll use a real phone instead of that bulky, crackly suitcase." Media storage and digital cameras and such added into phones don't need to be stellar quality to still be reasonable enhancements. The fact that these things are consolidated gives them appeal to many people. Electronics are supposed to enhance and simplify life. Carrying around four unitask devices for basic day-to-day enjoyment is inherently more complicated that one multitasker.
<>{
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 26 Jun 2007, 14:24

also, if you go into asia then your phone options are much greater. they've got 5+ mp cameras in them. i only showed the k790 because it's the best phone in north america. there are tons of phones that ruin the k790, they're just asian/european exclusives.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”