Rebellin'

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 10 Aug 2007, 23:26

Kate! wrote:Funny story about that...

Oh, this has to be good. Elaborate, por favor.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 11 Aug 2007, 00:02

PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 11 Aug 2007, 00:05

Dude, that thing is ridiculously awesome.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
The Pious Flea

Postby The Pious Flea » 11 Aug 2007, 00:17

Meh.

The basic concept was intriguing. However, the introductory conversation was awkward (and would probably have been better if it had been Graham and Morgan talking; a different topic would also have improved things). The scene was too static and wooden, without enough motion and with too much standing still. The transitions between the shots of Paul alone and Paul with others were uneven, and the volume seemed to change between them. And instead of showing us that the rhyming thing was ubiquitous and creating in us a sense that it was annoying and intolerable - like the slowly-building frustration in 'The Bet' that put the end scene in proper perspective - this video tells us that it's become too much, instead. There's really no twist as there was in its predecessor, as it's obviously an affectation being done for an unknown reason instead of an ostensibly innocent but bizarre group of behaviors that makes us curious as to what it's about. Unlike 'The Bet' or 'The Worst Homosexual', there's really no story, no sense that it's strange and inexplicable and leaves us grasping for an explanation. Paul wandering between cast members, all of whom demonstrate the perverse rhyming, would have added some needed activity and plausibility to the joke, but I don't think even that would have been enough.

This isn't a good video. It isn't even average. And it's inferior in every way to the previous video it references. I have to give it 3 out of 10: disappointing.
I require a dance of intellect. Put on your thinking shoes!

Dance with us, LRR! Dance with us into oblivion!

Do not question me! I control your arms!
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 11 Aug 2007, 00:32

Shut up, Flea
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 11 Aug 2007, 00:39

So wait, clique and click are not homophones to canadians? That is some rebellin spellin like a felon on a melon quite compellin...

Someone get me my rubber mallet and wooden stake, cuz I now have to stop this madness with the gellin thing. As they say, to kill the strain, you must kill the originator. I'm gonna find Dr. Scholl now...

And as for Morgan's haircut, he refused to shave his legs but buzzing his hair is no problem? Pussy.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 11 Aug 2007, 00:50

One thing Flea said that I do agree with was the transitions between each person talking; they seemed kind of awkward, not a real flow.

However, I disagree with the rest of what he said.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 11 Aug 2007, 01:00

I double-dog dare one of the Admins to change his name to "The Holier-Than-Thou Flea"
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 11 Aug 2007, 01:18

It's opinion guys.
And it's backed up with reasoning behind the dislike for the video.

I didn't like it that much either. I also have no idea what 'Gellin' is and i too saw peoples in the microwave... wNNr!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 11 Aug 2007, 01:27

I am not angry at you.
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 11 Aug 2007, 01:30

So... they're just insoles?
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 11 Aug 2007, 01:32

yes. thus the reference to insoles in the video. also, they're REALLY annoying commercials.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 11 Aug 2007, 01:40

I thought it was reference to some 4chan thing again. Or maybe a film i hadn't seen.
I wouldn't trust a Doctor called Dr. Shoes btw.

Those adverts aren't as annoying as the Shiella's Wheel's ones we have all the time:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yrKaQRIXPNw
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8fp6DaJivc

Arrrrggghhh!!!
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 11 Aug 2007, 02:04

It's Dr. Scholl's
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 11 Aug 2007, 02:11

god0fgod

Postby god0fgod » 11 Aug 2007, 03:36

I loved this video. I think I'm going to start doing this now.
The Pious Flea

Postby The Pious Flea » 11 Aug 2007, 04:47

Tensen01 wrote:I double-dog dare one of the Admins to change his name to "The Holier-Than-Thou Flea"

Given that I'm not the one complaining about people expressing their opinions in polite and respectful terms, I think you should might want to reconsider posting.

If my criticisms aren't honest, then my praise means nothing. I've thought other videos were absolutely fantastic. This one, not so much. Keeping quiet, or saying that it was great to match other people's opinions, would be a lie. See the signature.

Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 11 Aug 2007, 07:48

I was expecting Grahm and Morgan to make Paul start gellin'. Forcefully.

Allen! wrote:Shut up, Flea

Yeah, that.
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 11 Aug 2007, 09:41

Well, I had to watch it twice, but I loved it!
Great work! : )
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 11 Aug 2007, 10:37

I can totally see what the Flea is saying, and I agree with some of it too. It's not our best shoot. It's kind of lame looking, in fact.
Joke-flow and such, I'm not super concerned with in this case, but it definitely wasn't shot super well. Boring background, steady shots.
We only had one person running sound and camera, so it was tricky.

Having said that, I obviously still like it, and I don't think the faults above make it less funny, just less slick overall.
Johnny_Lunchbox

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 11 Aug 2007, 11:53

The Pious Flea wrote:The basic concept was intriguing... instead of showing us that the rhyming thing was ubiquitous and creating in us a sense that it was annoying and intolerable - like the slowly-building frustration in 'The Bet' that put the end scene in proper perspective - this video tells us that it's become too much, instead.

Yeah, I decided that the rhyming thing couldn't drive someone homicidal in the span of 3-4 minutes, so I couldn't show the 'revenge prank' in its entirety without some sloppy "Four months later..." transition. I thought that we establish that it's been building for a long time, and we're just watching the situation come to a head, but I'll have to give it another boo to see how I could've spelled it out a little more.

There's really no twist as there was in its predecessor, as it's obviously an affectation being done for an unknown reason instead of an ostensibly innocent but bizarre group of behaviors that makes us curious as to what it's about.

You likes you some big words, doesn't you?

I would argue that in The Bet, Paul's motivation isn't 'bizarre' and mysterious; he knows Graham isn't supposed to talk, and thinks it would be fun to drive him crazy. The twist at the end is that Paul had ulterior motives, despite the fact that he did seem to genuinely enjoy making Graham flip out.

Unlike 'The Bet' or 'The Worst Homosexual', there's really no story, no sense that it's strange and inexplicable and leaves us grasping for an explanation. Paul wandering between cast members, all of whom demonstrate the perverse rhyming, would have added some needed activity and plausibility to the joke, but I don't think even that would have been enough.

This was done because it's primarily a parody of a commercial, not a continuation of The Bet. In that commercial (which Matt has graciously linked for us), people are just standing around and rhyming, and that rhyming is really annoying. The only reason for that rhyming is their insoles (and, BTW, I still like my original title for this, "Insolence", but whatever), which just heaps the annoyance up that much more. They aren't rhyming because they're singing and the meter demands it, they aren't rhyming because they're reciting nursery rhymes or catchphrases--they're just rhyming because they're douchebags, and they want to annoy the fuck out of you to the extent that you can't hear any "-ellin'" word without being reminded of that damned commercial and the damned insoles (as well as an urge to drive a piece of long pointy metal into your ear).

Anyways, my point is, if I were to have given this a story and a plot, it would betray the source material: Dr. Scholl's commercials have no plot. They have no character development. They have no purpose. They are simply annoyance incarnate.

This isn't a good video. It isn't even average. And it's inferior in every way to the previous video it references.

Awesome. I was kinda going for a "people who make a conscious effort to use fancy language in everyday speech are going to absolutely fucking hate this" type (or "Individuals who consciously and ubiquitously attempt to disparage their audiences vis-a-vis the unwarranted application of somewhat cumbersome language--consisting of both overtly complicated pseudonyms for ideas which could possibly be conveyed via slightly more diminutive language or the use of jargon in forums and locales in which such expressions of linguistic 'acrobatic loquaciousness' are altogether unnecessary--will surely discover sentiments of maleficence towards this particular comedic routine" type, if you will) of anti-intellectualist humor.
"Yeah, I had it pretty hard growing up. I guess that's why I turned to accounting." - SB&M
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 11 Aug 2007, 14:16

That last paragraph sounds like something Lord Black would say.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
The Pious Flea

Postby The Pious Flea » 11 Aug 2007, 15:28

Johnny_Lunchbox wrote:I would argue that in The Bet, Paul's motivation isn't 'bizarre' and mysterious; he knows Graham isn't supposed to talk, and thinks it would be fun to drive him crazy. The twist at the end is that Paul had ulterior motives, despite the fact that he did seem to genuinely enjoy making Graham flip out.

But the revelation that the actual bet was between Morgan and Paul, and that Paul wasn't tormenting Graham for the sheer pleasure of it, causes us to look at everything we've just seen differently.

In this video, the revelation that Graham was orchestrating an elaborate scenario for the sole purpose of annoying Paul didn't make us re-evaluate, because the stuff preceding the revelation was so weird that we couldn't come up with a plausible explanation at all. It's the tension between our expectations and the revealed reality that made 'The Bet' satisfying at the end.

Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 11 Aug 2007, 17:14

The Pious Flea wrote:In this video, the revelation that Graham was orchestrating an elaborate scenario for the sole purpose of annoying Paul didn't make us re-evaluate, because the stuff preceding the revelation was so weird that we couldn't come up with a plausible explanation at all.

Well, I dunno about you Mel, but I kinda just thought they were wearing Dr. Scholls insoles until the end. That seemed really obvious. And then it turns out they're just faking the entire shpiel. Not a marvelous twist, I admit, but it was an adequate twist.

Like the recent Transformers movie. They put the cube into Megatron, not Prime. A twist, although not a strong one, and in retrospect, a predictable one.

~Alja-Markir~
Johnny_Lunchbox

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 11 Aug 2007, 18:34

Alja-Markir wrote:
The Pious Flea wrote:In this video, the revelation that Graham was orchestrating an elaborate scenario for the sole purpose of annoying Paul didn't make us re-evaluate, because the stuff preceding the revelation was so weird that we couldn't come up with a plausible explanation at all.

Well, I dunno about you Mel, but I kinda just thought they were wearing Dr. Scholls insoles until the end. That seemed really obvious. And then it turns out they're just faking the entire shpiel. Not a marvelous twist, I admit, but it was an adequate twist.

Like the recent Transformers movie. They put the cube into Megatron, not Prime. A twist, although not a strong one, and in retrospect, a predictable one.

~Alja-Markir~

I think the twist in Transformers was supposed to be that Optimus keeps a sliver of the cube as a memento. Surviving cube fragment = Magatronic sequel.
"Yeah, I had it pretty hard growing up. I guess that's why I turned to accounting." - SB&M

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”