Halo: The Future of Gaming

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
The Pious Flea

Re: Copyright Laws

Postby The Pious Flea » 27 Sep 2007, 14:47

Graham wrote:
JimBo wrote:And if LRR does nothing they may lose their right to enforce any copyright that they do have."

WHAT!?

Copyright has to be asserted, Graham. If you don't initiate action against the people who stole it, and you knew about it, it's de facto approval.

Sue their pants off.
I require a dance of intellect. Put on your thinking shoes!

Dance with us, LRR! Dance with us into oblivion!

Do not question me! I control your arms!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 27 Sep 2007, 15:02

You say "sue them" likes it's an option for us.
Break isn't just some pathetic video aggregator. They're owned by MTV/Viacom. Who I guarantee you, have big, angrier lawyers than we could ever afford.

We can ask them to stop, and assert it that way, but we can't afford to take anybody to court. We'd lose.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 27 Sep 2007, 15:30

I'd vote for you.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 27 Sep 2007, 15:41

Aside: Talked to BBSpot, they've changed it to our version. Yay!
Some people are cool!
JimBo

Copyright Laws

Postby JimBo » 27 Sep 2007, 15:50

Graham wrote:We can ask them to stop, and assert it that way

I apologize if I stirred up a wasp nest.
Asking them to cease and desist is the first step. If "Break" refuses then you can go to the next level if you so choose.

Bottom Line 1: To quote "Civil Action" with John Travolta.

The odds of a plaintiff's lawyer winning in civil court are two to one against. Think about that for a second. Your odds of surviving a game of Russian roulette are better than winning a case at trial. 12 times better. So why does anyone do it? They don't. They settle. Out of the 780,000, only 12,000 or 1 1/2 percent ever reach a verdict. The whole idea of lawsuits is to settle, to compel the other side to settle. And you do that by spending more money than you should, which forces them to spend more money than they should, and whoever comes to their senses first loses.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120633/quotes

Bottom Line 2: It's good PR.

Now I don't mean taking Break to court. I mean by having the video promoted by Break gets the LRR logo out there and in the public. People start talking about LRR and the funny shit that they do. People start frequenting the site. They buy videos, t-shirts with the LRR and Jangle and Jones logos.(Selfless Product Promo) LRR fan base grows exponentialy. "Give and ye shall receive!" Can I get an Amen!

Sorry about that I got carried away with myself.

In my opinion promotion of the site and the video should be the goal but you should also protect yourself. Though you may not have the resources right now to take on Break and it's huge corporation, someday you may. By asking them to cease and desist you've established your objection to their use of the video at this point in the "timeline of LRR."

Cheers
Last edited by JimBo on 27 Sep 2007, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 27 Sep 2007, 15:58

JimBo wrote:Bottom Line 1: To quote "Civil Action" with John Travolta.

not to me a smarmosaur or anything, but are all of your legal sources from movies?
JimBo

Postby JimBo » 27 Sep 2007, 16:15

emma wrote:not to me a smarmosaur or anything, but are all of your legal sources from movies?

Funny.

What other legal movie did I quote?
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 27 Sep 2007, 16:17

Graham wrote:You say "sue them" likes it's an option for us.
Break isn't just some pathetic video aggregator. They're owned by MTV/Viacom. Who I guarantee you, have big, angrier lawyers than we could ever afford.

We can ask them to stop, and assert it that way, but we can't afford to take anybody to court. We'd lose.

AGAIN Viacom is illegally taking copyrighted things from people, while they are sueing YouTube for nearly the the same??
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 27 Sep 2007, 18:30

JesterJ. wrote:

AGAIN Viacom is illegally taking copyrighted things from people, while they are sueing YouTube for nearly the the same??

Okay well this makes things even more interesting. Find other people who are suffering from the same injustice, band together, and bring the news into it. I guarantee that as soon as the news finds out that MTV/Viacom is doing the same thing that they are accusing YouTube of doing to them, their grievances will lose a lot of validity.

EDIT: guess what guys? There are now MULTIPLE VERSIONS of the video on Break. It has officially become illegal.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 27 Sep 2007, 18:33

Woohoo! Let's start a riot! errr...I mean a civil suit!
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 27 Sep 2007, 18:34

tak197 wrote:
JesterJ. wrote:

Okay well this makes things even more interesting. Find other people who are suffering from the same injustice, band together, and bring the news into it. I guarantee that as soon as the news finds out that MTV/Viacom is doing the same thing that they are accusing YouTube of doing to them, their grievances will lose a lot of validity.

EDIT: guess what guys? There are now MULTIPLE VERSIONS of the video on Break. It has officially become illegal.

This is the one I was talking about
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 27 Sep 2007, 19:54

Congrats LRR

Citin

Postby Citin » 27 Sep 2007, 21:41

It'd be funny if Google could just walk into court, throw down how Viacom has been stealing other peoples stuff to and get the case dropped, nothing like buddying up with Google.

I mean it would never happen but it would be awesome
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 28 Sep 2007, 01:10

The thing about Break is...

GimpyPrime says:
this video:
sucks one of that will every happen. however u will still be in your moms basement making stupid ass videos in 2016

LS1PWER said:

Halo sucks:
DONKEY PENIS FOR BREAKFAST ()

PS3FORLIFE says:
PLAYSTATION 3 IS TRUE POWER:
I hope all of those GAYLOs get disc read errors or scatched discs or save data corruptions. XBOX1.5 sucks. I hope nobody finish the game because of 33% of those lame consoles will break down. What's next? Halo is out now what for the next 5 years? NOTHING. ONE GAME.... ONE GAME!!! THAT'S IT. XBOX1.5 SUCKS GAYLO SUCKS
Subject:
Comment:

MyWadIsOnYourChin said:

go stroke your joystick:
fucktard!! xbox360 rules!!! ()

esamp1900 says:
PS3FORLIFE is a very very GAY:
PS3FORLIFE Do you hate the XBOX 360? Dude get a life, play your GAYSTAION while sucking off your boyfriend and leave the elite gaming to the superior console. Hey hows that P.sukS.suk 3 live working for you? Just keep on playing your DDR, which I've seen the pics your great, playing Crash Bandicoot and the great Jak and Daxter. Again leave the serious gaming to the MLG players and go git some tit from your mom, oh wait you can't do that because hey, my name is sammy and I play with your mammy, she gives g

...Yeah.

**sighs**
Don't you love our kind?
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 28 Sep 2007, 01:12

That's the internet I know.
Kneuronak
Doink

Postby Kneuronak » 28 Sep 2007, 03:34

ZOMG It's on Albino Blacksheep.

Of course, the problem is: LRR never gets too much face from any of the videos. LRR's top videos are the ones that appeal directly to internet culture: None of them are proper LRR videos, such as ones that reference the cast- Down With The Sickness is a good example. It doesn't matter where the logo is- I would bet that once LRR releases the next few videos we'll be back to the usual viewership.
Who?
theProphetSuz

Postby theProphetSuz » 28 Sep 2007, 04:35

The Australian Prime Minister is apparently getting into the spirit of things!

(from www.theage.com.au)
The Pious Flea

Postby The Pious Flea » 28 Sep 2007, 05:31

Which is why you get a lawyer who agrees to work for free, or who will accept a portion of the settlement money and work for free otherwise.

Why do you think they have such big, angry lawyers? Because they're always doing illegal stuff, getting sued for it, and settling out of court.

They're stealing your intellectual property. Talk to a lawyer and find out what your options are. Heck, talk to the media - I'll bet a small, Canadian comedy site being ripped off by a media giant who's stealing their stuff would make good news, especially if break refuses to take down the video and send you money.

Berthold

Postby Berthold » 28 Sep 2007, 11:07

It is still teh awesome, you guys rock!
Rated "E" for Excellently!
Marcaine

Postby Marcaine » 28 Sep 2007, 16:52

Anyway we can get the music from the video?
The Pious Flea

Postby The Pious Flea » 29 Sep 2007, 08:27

break.com still has LRR's video up on its site.

Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 29 Sep 2007, 14:02

Should we call in some Red Hats to handle the matter? A simple DoS? Defacement, perhaps? Main Server "critical failure"?

I mean, Titan Reign can't be that hard to contact. They're supposedly somewhat responsible for that recent Chinese attack on the Pentagon's systems.

*strokes his goatee evilly*

~Alja~
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 29 Sep 2007, 15:21

That would be a bad idea.
We'll handle it, don't worry.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 29 Sep 2007, 20:21

tak197 wrote:
JesterJ. wrote:

Class action would be a good idea.

And one the bright side, at least it isn't ebaumsworld dot com. But if we all join hands and sing this song, then our call will reach the sky.
Image Image Image
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 29 Sep 2007, 20:33

I APPRECIATE EVERYTHING, EVERYONE.

PLEASE LET US HANDLE IT.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”