The Ballad of the Fanboy

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 19 Oct 2007, 18:21

to everyone: if you want the ads gone, buy our crap. in quantity. tee-shirts, DVDs, the whole shebang. our videos are a product we provide to you for free, made in the precious few spare hours we have each week, while we all either go to school or work full- time to make ends meet.

this website is a massive investment of time and money, and quite frankly we reserve the right to generate revenue via any means we see fit. we appreciate feedback with regards to any new ad format we implement, but honestly, if you're not supporting us by paying for our products directly, then what right do you have to complain? particularly since paul and graham are so careful about using only ad formats that are minimally intrusive. the ads on the videos can be made to go away. the ads at the end can be avoided entirely. It's not like we have pop-up ads that obscure the site, or animated pictures of asses jiggling in your face down our sidebars. We *could* decorate our blue space with more corporate logos than a nascar driver's jumpsuit, but we don't. So try not to jump down our throats when we test out some new ad format to try and see a return on our work.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 19 Oct 2007, 18:25

Mostly complete lyrics. I can type fast, but with errors. It actually took longer to edit and fix everything than it did to type it. (One play through.) Also, I've never played crackdown, so hearing that reference was bit bit difficult. If you caught it, then let me know and I'll fix it. EDIT: Thanks Matt!

Code: Select all

You said I had you once,
but now you're never coming back.
But I can prove to you
that you just can't leave me flat.

I got 2000 games.
They don't compare to you.
Unlike them I'll finish you before I get something new.

I love you.
Don't you see
that if you come back
I'll be your final fantasy?
I need you like oxygen.
So won't you come dance in my pinata pen?

I'll be your Princess Peach.
You'll be my Mario.
And at the end of the level,
you'll slide down my flag pole.
And like the master chief I'll get you from behind.
Although my sword is factory sealed I'll break it out for you tonight.

I love you.
Don't you see
that if you come back
I need you like gamer fuel.
And if we crackdown I got some secret orbs for you.

I've been living two half lifes without you.
And my heart is full of coffee thats hot for you.
You don't have to choose between naked and solid,
'cause my snake is the big boss.
He knows what he's gotta do.

I love you.
Can't you see
that if you come back
I need you like I need to bathe
And if you hold me close, I'll kiss your lock with my keyblade.

I love you.
don't you see that if you can back,
I'll let you waggle with my Wii
I need you please don't say no,
'cause if you come over, we'll play some Nintendo.

I realize I'm missing some commas. I don't care.
Last edited by Cake on 19 Oct 2007, 18:33, edited 5 times in total.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 19 Oct 2007, 18:27

it's "secret orbs" not "secret art"

-m

I am not angry at you.
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 19 Oct 2007, 18:29

And "two Half-Lives"
CaesarMagnus

Postby CaesarMagnus » 19 Oct 2007, 18:38

At first I wasn't as hip to this. (It's hard to top last week's vid, and I did have my heart set on 64K, but I'm willing to wait if it means not getting a rush job.). I think the voice effect was a turn off IMHO. However, the song itself is growing on me (can't ... get ... out ... of ... head!) :P

I totally see Matt's point on the ads and have no problem with them. And on that note, I just to say thanks to all y'all (that's the plural of y'all) for the time and effort you put into this to make people like us have fun! You guys definitely help me get through Fridays. \o/
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 19 Oct 2007, 18:41

I though "y'all" was the plural. I guess that's just because I thought it was an improper contraction of "you all."
theProphetSuz

Postby theProphetSuz » 19 Oct 2007, 18:51

The phasing effect on his voice was interesting. Nice work though.
Green Eggs and Hampire
eiopqrtuwy
Smartest SpamBot Ever
First Video: Rejected 'Get a Mac' Ad's

Postby eiopqrtuwy » 19 Oct 2007, 18:56

nice song.

I didn't find the new ads very obtrusive, but I was wondering if you could change the top and bottom black margins (top smaller and bottom bigger) so the ads don't cover-up any of the shot. That would be a bit better.

Although if the revenue is based on clicks, I doubt it's worth keeping because I don't think many people would read and then click on an ad mid video anyways ... too busy watching the video.
Zeophlite

Postby Zeophlite » 19 Oct 2007, 19:08

didn't know what to write, so i showed it to my girlfriend and asked her what she thought

me: so what did you think of the LRR video
Jo: very good
i liked it a lot
me: i want to post something besides "awesome vid"
anything in particular?
Jo: erm
"i'll use that to get my girlfriend back if she ever leaves me"?
me: lol
would it work?
Jo: it would
me: lol
Jo: with the web addresses of some well- chosen comics

I thought it was quite good, but some of the lyrics were a bit bad (like the Metal Gear references)
I found the sound to be a bit off, seems others thought this too.

Nice collection Matt, good to see someone takes the time for something that they've invested so much in. (And ouch, that must of cost you a fair bit)

So much Final Fantasy (reminds me of that Christmas one)

And Jer has a nice voice, well done!
Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 19 Oct 2007, 19:08

Holy damn, Jer... stop being so awesome. You're making the rest of us look bad :P

The song was hilarious!! I thought the singing was nice, but I think it probably sounds better without the weird effect. I definitely rofl'd at all the geeky innuendos, the Final Fantasy collection build up, and the Viva Pinata dancing.

Overall I think it's a cute song/video, guys. Great job!

(Oh, and concerning the ads- I could care less about them in general, as long as I can watch the video without interruption. That's all I'd like.)
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 19 Oct 2007, 19:21

yeah its catchy wich is good, also the lyrics got funnyer towards the end.
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 19 Oct 2007, 19:22

Matt wrote:to everyone: if you want the ads gone, buy our crap. in quantity. tee-shirts, DVDs, the whole shebang. our videos are a product we provide to you for free, made in the precious few spare hours we have each week, while we all either go to school or work full- time to make ends meet.

this website is a massive investment of time and money, and quite frankly we reserve the right to generate revenue via any means we see fit. we appreciate feedback with regards to any new ad format we implement, but honestly, if you're not supporting us by paying for our products directly, then what right do you have to complain? particularly since paul and graham are so careful about using only ad formats that are minimally intrusive. the ads on the videos can be made to go away. the ads at the end can be avoided entirely. It's not like we have pop-up ads that obscure the site, or animated pictures of asses jiggling in your face down our sidebars. We *could* decorate our blue space with more corporate logos than a nascar driver's jumpsuit, but we don't. So try not to jump down our throats when we test out some new ad format to try and see a return on our work.

-m

hey look what lavos taught me:
tl;dr
Number09
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Number09 » 19 Oct 2007, 19:52

The song: Awesome lyrics! But the effect on the voice was kinda iffy at some points, but worked in others.

The ads: They don't bother me that much especially since you can X them.

Buying T-shirts: I am a lady... I do not like V-necks... Men's small is too big. :(
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 19 Oct 2007, 20:45

Hmmm...

I hate you because you got my mind gutterbound...

But I love you because that genuinely kicked ass...

While being totally goofy and a little dirty, this was really kinda cute.

The Beatles did say "Love is all you need" so I love it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Matt, as much as we like you, the previous "buy stuff" post was pretty unneccessary. We understand that you guys have school and work and other responsabilities, mostly because the vast majority of us are of the same age group and have the same exact issues and committments. I could list off the number of credits, work hours, leadership positions, and group memberships that I have, but I think it would just be redundant of the fact that WE ARE ALL BUSY. Also, you all have told us in detail what your committments are in the forum and podcasts many times.

Remember, just because the ads piss us off and we complain about it, it doesn't mean we don't appreciate the work you guys put into the videos and the site. That's WHY this is a fifth-season comedy site and not an empty URL.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 19 Oct 2007, 21:20

Really good song. A few great gags and such in the lyrics. But I agree with some earlier comments saying that it felt like it was leading up to something at the end, but then there wasn't really anything. I thought it might having something along the lines of the 'Those Games We Played' bit with the WoW stuff. But nothing.

Regardless, the song was great other than some weird sound going through the video. Dunno if that's intentional or not.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 19 Oct 2007, 21:29

I just had a thought. Jer is a part of 64k.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 19 Oct 2007, 21:31

STFU^

64K VIDEO PLOX
i dont know what's happening anymore
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 19 Oct 2007, 21:59

I agree with the Sound kinda killing it for me...

But I did dig the song and now Require both Lyrics AND Tabs for it.

As for the ending... I love that there were all the Innuendos but the end showed that really, he meant all of them literally and all he really wanted to do was game with her... Share his two loves.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 19 Oct 2007, 23:00

No comment.

*fails to respress an odd, unidentifiable facial expression*

~Alja~
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 19 Oct 2007, 23:14

I think we have over looked the fact that Jer says Mario like "Mar-ee-oh" and not like "Mare-ee-oh."
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 19 Oct 2007, 23:35

I will learn to play guitar to play this song.
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 19 Oct 2007, 23:44

Cake wrote:I think we have over looked the fact that Jer says Mario like "Mar-ee-oh" and not like "Mare-ee-oh."

"Mar-ee-oh" is correct. People who pronounce it "Mare-ee-oh" annoy the crap out of me. Mario himself pronounces it "Mar-ee-oh", why would anyone say it differently?
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 19 Oct 2007, 23:53

Sable wrote:I will learn to play guitar to play this song.

I was thinking of coming up with a bass equivalent. Can we get a drums?
Vadim

Postby Vadim » 19 Oct 2007, 23:56

First off loved the song, well done.

Also Matt, you're insane. Not in the bad way mind you.

<devil's advocate>With regards to the new ads, it popped up for me when the video first started, and I closed them off right away. As far as I could tell they wouldn't have interfered with the video much at all if i had left them.</devil's avocado>

::EDIT::

Upon further investigation my original guess was correct. The ad covers a VERY small portion of the actual video. Most of what is blocked is black bar.
Last edited by Vadim on 20 Oct 2007, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 20 Oct 2007, 00:04

Matt, that was kind of unnecessary, but I appreciate your moxy. Understand that when we first used ads AT ALL the forums were in uproar. People resist change.

I'm sorry about the sound, and that it's ruining it for some. I actually removed flange... but I was tired at the time, so to me it sounded like a vast improvement. Also, poor speakers.

Also:

Tensen01 wrote:As for the ending... I love that there were all the Innuendos but the end showed that really, he meant all of them literally and all he really wanted to do was game with her... Share his two loves.

THANK YOU!

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”