Trick or DOOM

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 27 Oct 2007, 11:11

I didn't laugh out loud this time but I always enjoy Evil Inc. It would help if the Evil Boss didn't smile during the delivery of some of his more dramatic lines.

I especially enjoyed the reference to Halloween Safety with the peanuts. I'm glad I'm not allergic. Canadaman's plan is much better. I like 3 Musketeers far more than Mars.

I (since I'm beginning all my paragraphs with "I" I'll go for one more) find it very amusing that Canadaman speaks with what appears to be the stereotypical accent tho' Graham himself doesn't. He could even pass for a native Wisconsinite without much suspicion.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 27 Oct 2007, 11:55

That's because the Canadian Accent™ isn't actually super common. Most Canadians tend to sound like we do, more of a neutral accent. But they do exist, believe me.
Consider that stereotypical American characters always talk like Texans, y'all.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 27 Oct 2007, 12:09

Except that in Texas, almost every single person has that accent. And anywhere within about 500 miles of Texas, while still north of Mexico, you will still find up to about 10-15% of the people speak like Texans.

As you move east, however, you hit a pocket of Cajun influence along the lower Mississippi River, and then when you work to Jahw'ja (Georgia) you get real Southern Hospitality. (Point of note: never ask for directions in Georgia. No one knows how to give proper directions. I have been there. I have seen the wasteland. Also every place of food offers cold, sweet tea for some reason.)

Then, as you follow the Appalachians northeast, you hit the Ozarks with a kinda gruffer Mountain Variant of the Southern Dialect. If you skip down to Flori'duh, land of the Floridiots, you get almost no dialect because Florida is the most "Northern" of the Southern States due to tourists, retirees, etc.

Continuing up along and past the Appalachains, you get to New England where there are a few dominant speech styles. Bostonian is a major dialect spoken by most Massholes and much of the region south of New York State. The folks north speak more of a general New England dialect. In New York City, of course, you have Brooklyn and Manhattan dialects as the primary, and then all the big-city foreign culture influences.

The west of the United States, which I have had the smallest amount of experience with, but am currently living in, seems to largely resemble the neutral Canadian speech. Oregon has a few folksy speaking chaps who hunt a lot, but they're not so much the majority. California, of course, is a mish-mosh and contains Valley-speak and Hollywoodian, but also normal people, as well as various types and varieties based on location in California itself (it's a big state).

~Alja~
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 27 Oct 2007, 12:12

Graham wrote:That's because the Canadian Accent™ isn't actually super common. Most Canadians tend to sound like we do, more of a neutral accent. But they do exist, believe me.
Consider that stereotypical American characters always talk like Texans, y'all.

Not common but still Trademarked™! I figured Canadians sounded more or less like real people. Is a French accent more common than the traditional one, eh?

By the way Graham, I enjoy listening to you speak. You have one of those voices that can make nearly any topic worth listening to.

ALJA, thanks for the brief tour of American dialects. I'm proud to say that in Wisconsin we're fairly neutral as well & therefore can make fun of everyone else. Just don't pronounce it "Wesconsin."
Swaldo

Postby Swaldo » 27 Oct 2007, 13:04

Alja-Markir wrote:Except that in Texas, almost every single person has that accent. And anywhere within about 500 miles of Texas, while still north of Mexico, you will still find up to about 10-15% of the people speak like Texans.

~Alja~

I don't really hear the Texan accent around here...or anywhere really. I know that it's in the northern parts. But even when you go there you don't really hear it.
The only Texan thing everyone says is "y'all".

But other than that, I was really hoping for some Jaques Francois.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 27 Oct 2007, 13:24

Okay, I admit, I gave Texas a bad rap. There are pockets of Texan speech, and pockets of normal speech, just like anywhere else. Exaggeration is funny, however, so meh.

~Alja~
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 27 Oct 2007, 15:01

sad... i live in a place where there's no accent. :(
Not responsible for delays due to incorrect address, payment information, publisher date change, inclement weather or Samus and Solid Snake exchanging vows in a small but tasteful civil ceremony.
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 27 Oct 2007, 15:09

The Happy Friar wrote:sad... i live in a place where there's no accent. :(

Where might this place be?

Well, ok. It might be anywhere. Where is this place you speak of?
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 27 Oct 2007, 15:36

Evil Jim wrote:ALJA, thanks for the brief tour of American dialects. I'm proud to say that in Wisconsin we're fairly neutral as well & therefore can make fun of everyone else. Just don't pronounce it "Wesconsin."

Oh no you don't. I have worked with a couple people from Wiscoooonsin, and they have a *very* distinct accent. That may not be all of Wiscoooonsin, but certainly is from what I've seen come out of it.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 27 Oct 2007, 16:20

so i'm eating peanut butter m&m's and this one i just ate has no peanut butter....... who is behind this??
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 27 Oct 2007, 16:37

Jacques Francois of course!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 27 Oct 2007, 16:38

Alja-Markir wrote:As you move east, however, you hit a pocket of Cajun influence along the lower Mississippi River, and then when you work to Jahw'ja (Georgia) you get real Southern Hospitality. (Also every place of food offers cold, sweet tea for some reason.)

That reason is because sweet tea is made of pure southern win.

The only reason I am saying this is because I study linguistics for my degree in Communication Disorders, but you are using accent wrong people. A speaker with an ACCENT is a non-native speaker of a language (such as a English speaker with a French accent). A speaker with a DIALECT is a native speaker with idiosyncratic speech patterns for the region or regions from which they dwell (Aussie dialect, British dialect, SAE dialect, Canadian dialect are all in ENGLISH).

And pennsylvanian dialects abound, since you have Philly that serves real Italian woodrice (water ice) and a provalone cheeztake wid (Provalone Cheesesteak with onions and mushrooms), then there is Pittsburgh with its Pittsburgheese: "Yintz see the Alleghany whitefish?" (Did you all see the condoms floating in the river?), and you top it all off with pennsyltuckian dialects all over the place.

/rant
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 27 Oct 2007, 17:47

i'm from outside philly... and i go to school in pittsburgh,... an i actually had a conversation today with someone about how i say "wudder" instead of water... there is also a heated debate here about wether its soda or pop...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
foxtrot_MGS

Postby foxtrot_MGS » 27 Oct 2007, 18:26

That french joke took my a second, I forgot you guys are up in Canada.
"Some one has replaced my Mars Bar with a Three Musketers!!!"
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 27 Oct 2007, 18:54

korri wrote:there is also a heated debate here about wether its soda or pop...

If that happens near you, RUN!
The Happy Friar

Postby The Happy Friar » 28 Oct 2007, 04:51

Evil Jim wrote:Where might this place be?
Well, ok. It might be anywhere. Where is this place you speak of?

western half of new york (pretty much best of the eastern border). We don't sound like the canuks across the border. don't sound like the people in eastern NY (who sound like NYC or eastern state). Don't sound like the people to the south.

pretty boring. :( The one thing we do know how to say is "snow tires." :)

PS: It's Pop.
Not responsible for delays due to incorrect address, payment information, publisher date change, inclement weather or Samus and Solid Snake exchanging vows in a small but tasteful civil ceremony.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 28 Oct 2007, 05:00

Soda. As derived from soda water, which was used as medicine, later flavored because soda water tasted icky, later drunk for fun because it tastes good.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 28 Oct 2007, 07:58

ITS EITHER GODDAMN IT

It's "soda pop" and people shortened it to either!
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 28 Oct 2007, 10:34

emma wrote:ITS EITHER GODDAMN IT

Quebec foxtrot tango.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 28 Oct 2007, 11:14

PEOPLE FROM DIFFERENT PLACES SOUND DIFFERENT AND USE DIFFERENT WORDS.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Ishamel

Postby Ishamel » 28 Oct 2007, 11:38

OK, for benefit of ignorant person in England, WTF are the Three Musketeers with reference to chocolate bars? I barely smiled at this vid due to confusion over a) fireworks and b) said chocolate bars. Also the head of evil inc.'s plans being so dire! Comedy where you're supposed to go, 'oh they're so stupid mwahah' just makes me despair of people, but then I can't watch The Office for this reason and that got loads of prizes so meh.

On the soda/pop thing? everyone knows it's now 'coke', whatever the hell it is, unless it's a primary colour. In which case it's 'eew bubbly horrible crap.' I know no-one who actually drinks anything that cannot feasibly be labelled 'coke' who is not 6 and high on sugar.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 28 Oct 2007, 11:51

FOXTROT YUKON IMITREX:

Three Musketeers bars are similar to Mars bars, but you take the caramel out and make the nougat chocolate flavored.
Last edited by tak197 on 28 Oct 2007, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 28 Oct 2007, 11:58

You guys light fireworks on Halloween? Someone needs to start that in the States.

I guess a peaceful break from Britain kinda precludes fireworks on your Independence day.

or your July 4th, for that matter. You should celebrate with your neighbors to the south.

yep, Emma's posts are still funny.
WaffleIronMan
First Video: Underpantaloons

Postby WaffleIronMan » 28 Oct 2007, 12:57

I'm glad that Canadaman has made his return, but what great feat of heroism made him lose his cape between shots?
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 28 Oct 2007, 13:11

Yukikaze wrote:You guys light fireworks on Halloween? Someone needs to start that in the States.

I guess a peaceful break from Britain kinda precludes fireworks on your Independence day.

or your July 4th, for that matter. You should celebrate with your neighbors to the south.

yep, Emma's posts are still funny.

We still light Fireworks on Canada Day, just look at Canadaman Adventures and you'll see the tail end of one. As for July 4th, obviously we have no reason to celebrate then, it's not our holiday.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”