The Writers Room

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 11 Jan 2008, 15:33

Man, this was wonderful. The realization of what's going on builds, and I love that; it wouldn't work as well if you knew right off the bat what the deal was.

VERY nice ending line, too. Tied it all up very nicely.

Any of you guys ever read Christopher Moore's "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal"? This sketch reminded me of that book, in a non-ripoffy, "great minds think alike" way.
martinjester

Postby martinjester » 11 Jan 2008, 16:03

But the gospels are in the New Testament, and the 10 commandments are in the Old Testament.

BURN YOU HERETIC SCUM :wink:
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 11 Jan 2008, 16:06

I took a photo of my list on the board, I'll upload it later today.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 11 Jan 2008, 16:47

I solved the equation on the board.
Great video, the camera was kind of sloppy at times, but it was pretty good.
You guys managed to get morgan while he was stoned eh? 8/10 from me.
i dont know what's happening anymore
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 11 Jan 2008, 17:27

Flewellyn wrote:Any of you guys ever read Christopher Moore's "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal"? This sketch reminded me of that book, in a non-ripoffy, "great minds think alike" way.

READING IT CURRENTLY!

I like the part about making the Greek statue "Jewish" in the middle of the night. That and Raziel's obsession with Soap Operas.

Anyway, just finished watching the video. It's like Jesus Christ Superstar: the uptight find it blasphemous, the rest see the comedy. This is strong proof to the theory Andy brings up in the Hide a Body podcast, that comedy is varied forms of irony taken lightly. Granted it's his theory, but in using that as a basic rule of writing, he has cranked out many great comedic scripts.

By they way, that's not a "T", the equation is:

Code: Select all

"Crucifix" + "Star of David" = ?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 11 Jan 2008, 17:46

Lavos wrote:You guys managed to get morgan while he was stoned eh? 8/10 from me.

You'll note that Morgan was delivering his memorized lines on time.
He was sober, you fools.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 11 Jan 2008, 17:50

tak197 wrote:By they way, that's not a "T", the equation is:

"Crucifix" + "Star of David" = ?

Yeah, I know what it is. For my representation the lowercase "t" looked more like a crucifix than the plus sign. A font without a lower bend on the "t" would help. Tho in retrospect I probably could have used a dagger: †
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Hawkaris
First Video: 1337

Postby Hawkaris » 11 Jan 2008, 17:51

It took a moment before I grasped the entirety of what was going on, but when it did hit, it was like a metric ton of comedic bricks. It was awesome.

I, too, must give props to the "Book of Stan". The fan service is always loved, and Door to Door is one of my most-favouriter of the old videos.

Now, did you do the entire six minutes in one cut? Just how much did you guys practice on this one, and how many takes did it take to get this one?

Also, ANDY!!
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 11 Jan 2008, 17:56

Hawkaris wrote:Now, did you do the entire six minutes in one cut? Just how much did you guys practice on this one, and how many takes did it take to get this one?

It really made me think of Hitchcock's Rope, but even he used cuts in that one.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 11 Jan 2008, 18:00

Wow, that was awesome. Great job everyone, especially Andy.

What was the Bar Mitzvah in Damascus a reference to?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 11 Jan 2008, 18:03

Teeeeeechnically, if the cameras had held enough film, The Rope would have been done without cuts.

Not bad. Reminds me of Mr. Diety, except less blasphemous. I definitely found this one funnier. I figure if God doesn't like this kind of thing, he'll take care of it on his own time.

I got the idea that they're trying to outline the entire Bible at once, like it's being done beforehand. In other words, the Gospels aren't going to be written for another three thousand years.

I started to suspect what was going on shortly after the "nepotism" comment.
robothero
First Video: Ways to drink a Coke?

Postby robothero » 11 Jan 2008, 18:07

During a couple of the quick pans to and from Harold, I think they cut the short into more than one take. I noticed a little jump. I want to try a test some time to see if doing a wipe that exactly matches the speed of the pan will be more or less noticeable.

And I initially thought they were writing for Hitler, because the Jewish guy was really angry about it, (and I only saw the star followed by a question mark on the board) and they were dressed like it was the 1930s. Then they started saying their names, and I figured it was the sermon on the mount. That's cool, though. I feel that some element of "I figured it out" is crucial to humour; that's why it's not funny if someone explains it to you.
-Geoff-

Postby -Geoff- » 11 Jan 2008, 18:13

Morgan was great. Don't really like all the christianity, but whatever. Delivered well.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 11 Jan 2008, 18:23

LOL I CHANGED MY SIG THIS MORNING

SO FUCKING APPROPRIATE.

Also it's a really fantastic video.
And they fixed the Wiki about Cain and Abel. :(
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
The Pious Flea

Postby The Pious Flea » 11 Jan 2008, 18:30

It's not a crucifix - a crucifix has to have a representation of the crucified body of Christ.

It was a perfectly ordinary cross.

I liked the cerebral style here - not so LOL, more chin-stroking.

I'm guessing that Harold was kept as ghostwriter, shared his stash with John the Revelator while telling him about numerology, and hilarity resulted.
I require a dance of intellect. Put on your thinking shoes!

Dance with us, LRR! Dance with us into oblivion!

Do not question me! I control your arms!
The Pious Flea

Postby The Pious Flea » 11 Jan 2008, 18:34

Lord Chrusher wrote:What was the Bar Mitzvah in Damascus a reference to?

Probably St. Paul, whose take on Christianity ended up dominating the field. He would have had to call in sick after being struck blind.
I require a dance of intellect. Put on your thinking shoes!

Dance with us, LRR! Dance with us into oblivion!

Do not question me! I control your arms!
Motoken

Postby Motoken » 11 Jan 2008, 18:45

had to watch it twice, soo funny!
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 11 Jan 2008, 18:49

It took me until the group said their names to get it, but boy when I did, I giggled like a madman. brilliant, all around. Wonderful to see Andy, but you were all really spot on, especially Paul. Bravo!

I love Andy's scripts. They're packed with so much funny, so many references and ironic moments and jokes, that you just feel assailed by a constant barrage of laughs.

I must admit, there were a few times that the quick camera pans back and forth made me sort of dizzy, but it was all in good fun.

Mor leik thees plzkthx!
Dedendre

Great job

Postby Dedendre » 11 Jan 2008, 19:15

Just wanted to say how great this week's video was. Great job just about everywhere in the video.

Andy (yay!) did some fantastic writing, I absolutely loved all the small references, and all four of you did an exceptional job acting (even "sober" Morgan).

Keep it up guys.
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 11 Jan 2008, 19:17

There looks to be at least 2 cuts :)

When they whip back from Morgan the first time there's a cut :) and after he takes about his "mellow" there's another cut.

Joss Whedon did the same in Serenity to make the first on-ship scene look like a single cut even though the sets weren't connected.
Last edited by Tensen01 on 11 Jan 2008, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
The R

Postby The R » 11 Jan 2008, 19:17

That was incredibly well played with the one take and all. Ive been around for a few shootings and sometimes it was hard just to get one little thing right. Nice show.

P.S: Not to sound picky, but Graham I don't know if you noticed but that smudge on the lens should be cleaned.
wuzoe

Postby wuzoe » 11 Jan 2008, 19:22

Appearing
ANDREW COWNDEN, PAUL SAUNDERS, GRAHAM STARK, MORGAN VANHUMBECK
Writing
ANDREW COWNDEN
Shooting
JAMES TURNER
Editing
GRAHAM STARK

Editing? What? It looked like a one cut video to me ... either Graham is taking credit for editing out of habit, or he did a most excellent job.

Props to Andy for the writing, btw. When I heard all of the names I had to pause so my laughing wouldn't drown out the rest of the dialog. And the pace was excellent.

LRR wins.
"How many members of a certain demographic group does it take to perform a specified task?" "A finite number: one to perform the task and an additional number to act in a manner stereotypical of the group in question."
Andy

Postby Andy » 11 Jan 2008, 19:36

The Pious Flea wrote:
Lord Chrusher wrote:What was the Bar Mitzvah in Damascus a reference to?

Probably St. Paul, whose take on Christianity ended up dominating the field. He would have had to call in sick after being struck blind.

To be honest, I didn't have anything specific in mind.

But ... yeah, the St. Paul thing.

I'm so happy people like the video!
Thanks to everyone who made it happen!
Time flies like an arrow;
Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx
Elaro
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Elaro » 11 Jan 2008, 19:45

Wow. Third viewing, and just... wow. Awesome. This is truly awesome.
Evil Jim

looong

Postby Evil Jim » 11 Jan 2008, 19:46

Yukikaze wrote:Teeeeeechnically, if the cameras had held enough film, The Rope would have been done without cuts.

The actual cuts were done at the end of each 10 minute reel, but only every other one was disguised (ie. while panning behind someone's back.) There are (I think) four visible cuts at about every 20 minutes. So even if they had enough film I can't say if it would have been done in a single shot. Now I really want to watch it again. It helps that it's my favourite Hitchcock film.
robothero wrote:During a couple of the quick pans to and from Harold, I think they cut the short into more than one take. I noticed a little jump. I want to try a test some time to see if doing a wipe that exactly matches the speed of the pan will be more or less noticeable.

Tensen01 wrote:There looks to be at least 2 cuts :)
When they whip back from Morgan the first time there's a cut :) and after he takes about his "mellow" there's another cut.

Really? I hadn't noticed. But then, I'm so accustomed to the quick pan-cuts in LRR videos that I hardly notice them. Time for a re-watch.
Allen! wrote:LOL I CHANGED MY SIG THIS MORNING
SO FUCKING APPROPRIATE.
Also it's a really fantastic video.
And they fixed the Wiki about Cain and Abel. :(

That's a good one. I'm glad they archive old Wiki edits. Thanks for pointing it out.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”