Fun with Microwaves

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 31 Mar 2008, 19:38

I know Three PS3s has had a lot of YouTube views and other exposure off site from LRR but in terms of views through Revver and LRR, Fun with Microwaves now has more views.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
The R

Postby The R » 01 Apr 2008, 16:59

I honestly was not expecting so many views. Was milkandcookies the source of it all? Overall i still think 3PS3s is my favorite LRR video of all for not only the concept, but how it unintentionally trolled thousands of stupid gamers who cannot distinguish OBVIOUS parody between a real rant.

Also, yay more fanart!
izra

Fun With Microwaves

Postby izra » 03 Apr 2008, 08:50

awesome, especially the plasma ball, I commend you for having the plasma balls to try that (what kind of crazy gas is in those things anyway?) I tried the cd thing and a few other things with some friends before and if you ever make another vid of microwaving, be sure to include a LIT MATCH...I cut a grape in half and used it to hold the match upright, and I guarantee this will blow your mind...i have no idea what's actually going on but freaking awesome. freaking.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 03 Apr 2008, 10:35

Plasma globes are generally filled with some inert gasses at very low pressure (I want to say krypton or xenon, but I'm very willing to be wrong). The gas itself is basically harmless (Although you wouldn't want to stand in a room of xenon) as it is the high-frequency, Telsa-coil-like transformers and electronics inside the bulb that actually produce the plasma filaments and coloured lights.

I actually have that EXACT model of plasma globe in my apartment - I haven't plugged it in for years, but it sure is a neat little toy.

As for the match in the microwave, my guess is something like this: The match's flame is a partially-ionised plasma, and is thus electrically conductive. Being conductive, this plasma will absorb microwave radiation, which causes more heating, which causes more ionisation, which causes more conductivity. Since heat rises, this eventually causes a small cloud if ionized gas to leap off of the rooted flame, which continues until it hits the (earthed) wall of the microwave, or until the ionized gasses disperse such that they can't conduct properly.

For people who don't know what I'm talking about: Placing a lit match (or candle, I assume) in a 1000w microwave will cause large, bright clouds of light to jump off of the match with the characteristic buzzing sound of high voltage. I've also heard that you can get a cloud of plasma if you do this under a glass jar in the microwave, which I can only assume would be very similar to a plasma globe in terms of physics.
Smallpoxxer

Postby Smallpoxxer » 03 Apr 2008, 14:45

Sable
Talking above the intelligence of everyone in the room since 2007 lol
If you can't laugh at yourself, just laugh at other people.
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Postby Nomadic » 03 Apr 2008, 14:54

ALMOST everyone. I understood what he said. It's standard chemistry. XD
Successfully lurking since 1709.
Tiger1313

Postby Tiger1313 » 05 Apr 2008, 12:56

Fun with Microwaves in now in the top 5 most viewed. Wow
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 08 Apr 2008, 12:09

Well, I just gave the microwaving a marshmallow trick a go (Singular marshmallow in a glass cup, 850 power for 30 seconds). The spectacle was awesome and the end product, whilst sticky, was tasty and chewy. It might actually pass a lazy-man's toffee.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Scone

Postby Scone » 09 Apr 2008, 21:52

I learned, from microwaves, that there are different kinds of peeps and each type has its own consistency. We all know the regular type, but I stumbled upon a much larger peep sold in a container by itself, ah, Wal-Mart and its lovely post Easter sale; so I picked up three to experiment with them.

Your first clue that they aren't typical peeps is that each one is perhaps 5 grams. I decided one in the microwave at a time would be plenty, so I laid out the paper towel plate and let it roll. This thing, this terrible monstrosity never stopped growing. We shut down the microwave because the smell was making everyone in the room nauseas. It turns out these peeps were mostly "cream" filled with very little marshmallow. The cream could also have just been some alien concoction of pure sugar, it was very hard to tell. Having shut down the microwave early, the peep didn't get the chance to burn properly for it to taste good, so it was awful. Bill might have had some trouble with this thing. I swear, it grew in mass by sitting the microwave.

The moral of the story? That's right, never go to the bathroom.
<- <- <- <- HOPE

Image To The Lab! Image
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 14 Apr 2008, 20:15

Wow. Fun With Microwaves just kinda snuck up onto the top 5 list, didn't it?
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
meisbored
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby meisbored » 15 Apr 2008, 12:26

Cake wrote:Wow. Fun With Microwaves just kinda snuck up onto the top 5 list, didn't it?

Wait, what? *goes to check*...
...whoa!
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 15 Apr 2008, 12:27

Im not surprised. =-D
i shoulda put money on it.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Postby Nomadic » 15 Apr 2008, 17:48

ZOMG. That's interesting. O.o

And here I was hoping that I could get Installation Anxiety up there.
Successfully lurking since 1709.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 23 May 2008, 10:08

Given to me by my fellow crusader fighting against the forces of good AND evil, forumly known as jangles. http://www.break.com/index/cell-phones-are-evil.html
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
Jangles

Postby Jangles » 23 May 2008, 10:12

Cool, my first reference on the forums.
The hardest part of being me? The mustache.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 23 May 2008, 10:36

What the hell?!
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Legitgrit
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal To ICP

Re: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Legitgrit » 08 Jul 2010, 23:36

anyone else notice a shotgun shell on the table when they panned over it...kinda glad they didn't try that one
Hurrah! A round of bad puns on me!

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”