An Interview with Uwe Boll

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 27 May 2008, 02:00

Kroze wrote:I've been working on pimping this out at any place I could find...
Although now I have the feeling I will be ripped on for "Stealing" it from Kotaku....

You can direct people to where Kotaku "stole" it from.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Zed Alpha

Postby Zed Alpha » 27 May 2008, 02:01

Nicely done. I think this was a great move. And now I feel guilty for calling the man an idiotic pimple on the face of the universe.

Sorry, Uwe. :oops:
Frozengale wrote:You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 27 May 2008, 02:01

Although now I have the feeling I will be ripped on for "Stealing" it from Kotaku....

Pfft, you're oldschool LRR, Kroze. We miss ya, buddy.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Kroze
Filled With Regret

Postby Kroze » 27 May 2008, 02:03

Allen! wrote:Pfft, you're oldschool LRR, Kroze. We miss ya, buddy.

Pre-school LRR?
Bryy M. Miller
First Video: Dinosaur

Postby Bryy M. Miller » 27 May 2008, 02:04

I got to Penny Arcade before you did. I don't like them, I just want to see what happens. Mayhaps heads will explode.
Kroze
Filled With Regret

Postby Kroze » 27 May 2008, 02:05

Bryy M. Miller wrote:I got to Penny Arcade before you did. I don't like them, I just want to see what happens. Mayhaps heads will explode.

Videos of Gabe's head exploding for Christmas Bryy... thats all I want!
(Besides that pony I asked for)
Zed Alpha

Postby Zed Alpha » 27 May 2008, 02:10

About halfway through there's this high-pitched, annoying, keening whine. Or maybe it's my speakers. But either way, it's giving me a migraine and I can't concentrate.
Frozengale wrote:You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 27 May 2008, 02:19

Well, it's certainly extinguished the image I had of him as a man with insane investors and half the film-making talent of a molded banana.

I mean, I haven't really stopped viewing his films are being really poorly-made, and I don't think many people will, but the fact that he's apparently lucid in his usually-personal time is quite...I'm not sure how to put it, but it certainly puts a new spin on things.

The "it's all a publicity stunt" doesn't quite edge with me though, considering very little of the media-grabbed arguments actually mention Postal as their key element, maybe it's viral marketing but I get the feeling he's just covering up.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 27 May 2008, 02:24

Wow. That's one heckuva surprise to wake up to! :shock:

I've watched thirty seconds just to make sure this isn't a seven-week-late April Fool's joke; c'mon - you folks are just cunning enough to pull a fake out. :D

I'll tell you right now that this won't quite 'change my opinion' of Herr Boll, as much as accelerate a change already happening - stop thinking of him as 'batshit loco' and start thinking of him as 'evil' ;) j/k - start thinking of him as 'cunning guy who is willing to take a dose of infamy as a tool to market his films' (the whole "4 screens in U.S." bit planted the seed)

And last thing I say before going back to watch is to reiterate something others have said here: he IS a very perceptive man who is totally right about the state of the Western film industry, but that still doesn't give him license to make lacklustre films.

Analogy: A group of people are trapped in a deep pit dug into the ground. Some people decide to dig down one side wall of the pit and use the earth to make a ramp to get out. One person declares "That's a bad idea!" and then pitches in, but digs really, really slowly - as if in protest.

EDIT: Yeah, it's really just solidifying my hypotheses. One one matter was the 'last' question: I'm glad he is capable of 'getting it out of his system' all the stress that must come with all the 'anti-Boll' hype, etc. He seems a decent, intelligent guy, who simply makes movies that just don't quite click with me - I've said it before, I don't think the ones I've seen were bad but they didn't have what I was looking for.

P.S. I also like that he's so relaxed and...er, 'un-self-conscious' that he'll pick his nose during the interview! :lol:
Last edited by empath on 27 May 2008, 03:21, edited 1 time in total.
Bryy M. Miller
First Video: Dinosaur

Postby Bryy M. Miller » 27 May 2008, 03:08

Would there be any chance in hell of seeing the full 45 minute video?
Jakkle

Postby Jakkle » 27 May 2008, 04:14

Graham; quick FYI -->

'Furore' is pronounced 'Phew-roar-ree'.
Or 'Fa-roar-rey' (with a very short rey) depending on accent.
Sorry, I'm a Nazi when it comes to the spoken word. My graphology is wrong but expressive, where as my use of speech is impeccable.
Moves like a leopard,
his feet padding down, down, down...
One more animal, one more fox to slip away,
feel the mandible,
of the leopard and his prey.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 27 May 2008, 04:27

Jakkle wrote:Graham; quick FYI -->

'Furore' is pronounced 'Phew-roar-ree'.
Or 'Fa-roar-rey' (with a very short rey) depending on accent.
Sorry, I'm a Nazi when it comes to the spoken word. My graphology is wrong but expressive, where as my use of speech is impeccable.

FYUR ROAR
Or FYUR RER

There's only two syllables in furore(or furor, if you're American), thanks for coming out and failing miserably.

And yes, I'm giving you how you actually say it, as I am not very good at the official phonetic examples you'd get from, say, the dictionary, and I don't feel like looking it up because I don't need to and am right.

In any case, you are EXTRA wrong, because he is(lol) using the word "Führer", and is, in fact, more of a "Fyuh ruh"(not the lack of ending in an r sound, or, indeed, an 'ee').

IRONICALLY:

You called yourself a 'Nazi' when it comes to this. Guess the most popular usage of Führer? Can you guess? I'll give you a chance to figure it out before I slap you.

Now, remember: I am a psycho when it comes to the English language, and butchering it in my own way. Bill used to use me as his personal, walking dictionary(because Spell Check was for suckers, according to him).

I am such a dick.
Daco
First Video: can't remember

Postby Daco » 27 May 2008, 04:38

hmmm, i liked it.
uwe boll has a nice point of view.
i think, after seeing this, he is indeed a very intelligent man

and lol @ retarded starbucks.
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 27 May 2008, 04:39

Blown away. I am BLOWN AWAY!

Major major props and applause. It took a lot of guts to pull this off Graham.

Also respect to Mr. Boll himself for donating his time to speak to the audience, his real audience.

For better or for worse. Well done.
St. Ricktopher
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby St. Ricktopher » 27 May 2008, 04:50

Nice work guys.
Very insightful.

Also, I really hope this video spreads all over the internet.
It may make people question some of their bandwagon jumping.

Also it would get Loading Ready Run all over the internet, which is even more awesome. :D
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 27 May 2008, 05:02

FYUR ROAR
Or FYUR RER

There's only two syllables, thanks for coming out and failing miserably.

And yes, I'm giving you how you actually say it, as I am not very good at the official phonetic examples you'd get from, say, the dictionary, and I don't feel like looking it up because I don't need to and am right.[/quote]

I don't mean to be rude Allen but your grammer is not quite right with 'am right'. It should be 'I am right' or 'I don't need to since I am right'. It is three syllables anyway, if you tap your arm like you would in charades when you say the word you can here the different sounds. '

Being pedantic:

Ç = fur
c = (c needs to be backwards, doesn't appear in character map) oar
ã = long r like roll or roger
ð = ay as in play

so that equals: fur-oar-ray = Ç- c -ãð

Edit: Okay the text won't appear, annoying here's a link to a phonetic chart: http://www.hum.aau.dk/~firth/PHONETIC.jpg
Last edited by Elomin Sha on 27 May 2008, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
Android

Postby Android » 27 May 2008, 05:07

I have to agree with him on the whole Kung Fu Panda deal - That really has no place being screened at a festival of Cannes caliber.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 27 May 2008, 05:16

Maybe you're thinking of the word 'ferrari'. We're talking about furor/furore, which you say with two syllables(being fyur and ror). Nobody adds 'ee' onto the end of it, except for the mentally handicapped.

If you tapped out three syllables for the word 'furore' in Charades, nobody would want to be your Charades partner, because you would lose all the time.

In any case:

Führer.

And yes, I understand that 'furore' is written, phonetically, with three syllables, but nobody says it that way, sorry. Except maybe the English, and who the hell cares.

Edit: I'm not questioning your accuracy on the actual phonetic system, because, as I said, I don't know that shit.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 27 May 2008, 05:27

I wasn't thinking of the vulgar car company.
It was true that I was barred from charades. Aparantly Nazi Pope wasn't allowed.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 27 May 2008, 05:29

Elomin Sha wrote:I wasn't thinking of the vulgar car company.
It was true that I was barred from charades. Aparantly Nazi Pope wasn't allowed.

Bahahaha.

Win.
Klotz

Postby Klotz » 27 May 2008, 05:32

I saw Postal, and I think it is a crappy movie. Based on crappy but funny game. I saw most of the Boll movies, and they`re b-movies. But he`s right. The Dungeon Siege is not a very good movie, but the golden compass was a really bad movie. More expensive than Dungeon Siege, but less entertaining.

I think, Boll can do better movies, if he has more money to do them. I read in a german magazine, that Boll wanted to do the Hitman Movie with Jason Statham, but didn`t get the rights for the movie. The Hitman movie with Timothy Olyphant was worse. I would like to see Jason Statham as Agent 47.
Most of what Uwe Boll said is right. I watch a lot of movies, but only the good movies, I get only on DVD. In the cinemas are only the big budget movies, but if you wan`t to see movies like Children of Men or You Kill Me, you`ll have to get them on DVD in germany.
If you start talking to me, please zip up your pants
BermudaZucka

Postby BermudaZucka » 27 May 2008, 07:10

I felt that interview did not make this Uwe Bole any more sympathetic. And speaking as an out-sider on this whole movie scheme, Bole just came off as your generic independent movie producer openly frustrated and possibly embittered with the difficulties he has to face as someone trying 'to think outside the corporate paradigm' or something post-modern like that.

And at the interview's very best, I felt that interview only captured Uwe Bole at his defensive for Postal’s release. I am still not going to watch it however, (despite living close to New York) mostly because I’m pretty sure Postal won’t be funny..
CaesarMagnus

Postby CaesarMagnus » 27 May 2008, 08:37

While I certainly don't doubt that Uwe Boll is sincere in his moviemaking, I came away from the interview feeling like he was blaming the industry for his poor movies more than himself. I really don't think budgets are what make or break a film. Some great movies have been made on tiny budgets, and some horrible movies have been made on outrageous budgets. Yes, the industry does control a lot of things, but good independant films can still get recognition and do well.

I also did get the feeling he was still in that "gotta plug the movie Postal" mode, as I was watching the interview.

I do give him kudos for being willing to talk with LRR, and it was interesting just to hear his thoughts on things. But ultimately, I would think he actually has enough resources to make a decent movie, but he ends up ruining it by not staying faithful to the original source and having to put "his" take on it. It sounds like he should avoid making movies based on something and just make something completely original, especially since he takes and approach focusing on artistic expression rather than re-presenting an established franchise in another mode of media (ie videogames to film).
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 27 May 2008, 09:11

wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 27 May 2008, 09:30

Whoa...

I never thought I'd see him speaking like a normal person, it's a good change for him.

I still think his movies suck, but now, I don't hate him anymore...

Damnit Graham! now I have to look for someone else to hate! ¬¬

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”