An Interview with Uwe Boll

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
rom_ripper

Postby rom_ripper » 29 May 2008, 05:30

i have just watched the vid all the wau though. and i have to say i'm going into manchester to a small indie cinema, to watch postal, the only place in england it is showing (as far as i know.) just because of this vid.

Good job guys, you really outdid yourselves. It's nice to break from the norm of sillyness once in a while and just do somthing to change peoples lives.

keep it up LRR, you guys rock.
Novak>The Legend that is.
Bento

Postby Bento » 29 May 2008, 10:00

I cant wait to hear the podcast for this video
When the God's wish to punish us, they answer our prayers -Oscar Wilde
Chris_Gonzalez

Postby Chris_Gonzalez » 29 May 2008, 15:22

I really, really, REALLY want to see the full 45 minutes of this now. Amazing video on it's own, but I think it'd be that much better just to see it in its entirety.

Add it as an extra on the Season (5?) DVD, and you've already got a customer.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 29 May 2008, 15:57

That's an immense signature picture, Oxford.
Last edited by Dominic Appleguard on 29 May 2008, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
-=Nate the Great=-
Or should I say, Nate the So So.
First Video: Moshpit Etiquette

Postby -=Nate the Great=- » 29 May 2008, 19:31

Graham I know I mentioned this already, but hats off on a job well done. Solid interview, and you've lifted the veil of douchebaggery from Uwe.

Who's the next LRR interviewee? I think you should get Michael Bay for the followup.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 30 May 2008, 00:43

Oxford wrote: ... something irrelevant to Jim's comment ...

Oxford, I really like that drawing of Spielberg swatting Lucas but do you have to MAKE IT YOUR FREAKING SIGNATURE?

Edit
Nevermind. And thanks!
Last edited by Evil Jim on 02 Jun 2008, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 30 May 2008, 11:03

I will say this: my respect for Uwe has gone up considerably because he was willing to do this. That’s not saying much, mind you, as I’ve never been able to stomach the man, but at least now a respect does exist. However, it didn’t really change my mind too much about him or his work. Here’s why:

1. I confess that I destroyed my copy of Postal after playing fifteen minutes of it (I don’t mind violence, even extreme violence, it’s context that’s important to me, and going around executing children with their mothers as they beg you for mercy just doesn’t fit my idea of entertainment), but I really don’t remember it having much in the way of political commentary or humor. If you ever do this again, ask him why his game-based movies diverge so drastically from the games (I think that could be phrased and asked respectfully).

2. I really don’t like how his big thing seemed to be “make it violent, over-the top and edgy.” Violence should be a tool to tell your story. It shouldn’t be the focus of your story. Otherwise, you end up with…well, you end up with House of The Dead. He seems to me to be one of those people who think that a small budget and a bunch of controversy somehow make a movie worth seeing. They don’t. The reason there is Iron Man and Hulk and Indiana Jones and Kung-Fu panda all at once, is because they are entertaining, and if I go to a theater with $20.00, and I see a marquee with my choice of Iron Man, Narnia, Hulk and Indiana Jones, aka two super-hero flicks, the return of a legendary film franchise, and a fantasy movie based on my favorite book series, or a low-budget movie whose big selling points are “violence and controversy”, I’m not sure what movie I’m going to chose, but I damn sure know which one I’m NOT going to.

3. So the Bay-Bashing was an attempt to get more attention for Postal? I’ve said this many times before: I. Hate. Marketing. I recognize that it’s sometimes a necessary evil, but still.

4. I’m not sure I understand his point about “why do they only compare my movies to the really great movies (LOTR) instead of the mediocre movies like Golden Compass?” I mean, is it me, or is this an obvious question? They compared In The Name Of The King to Lord of The Rings for the same reason they compared Golden Compass to Narnia: because when a movie like Narnia or LOTR come up, it raises people’s expectations. They then know how good something can be, and after that, there’s just no going back. Yes, if you compare In The Name of The King to The Golden Compass, it probably holds up pretty well (to be fair, I’ve not seen either of those, so for the sake of argument, I’ll give him the benefit of a doubt and say that ITNOK was better than Compass); that’s not really saying much, and it’s not enough to get me to use five to ten bucks worth of gas getting to the theater and ten bucks on a ticket. Congratulations, Alone in The Dark is better than a lot of creature movies that have come out. The thing is, I didn’t see those movies, either. Being better than something that sucks X9003 doesn’t mean it’s good enough to watch. It just means it’s more watchable than some of the alternatives. It can still suck x9002. I’m not going to drop twenty bucks for something because it’s better than watching paint dry.
-Wraith
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 30 May 2008, 11:43

P.S., Please include the entire thing in the DVD.
-Wraith
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 30 May 2008, 11:43

Oh come on, Wraith. Is that REALLY fair? I mean, I'm having a "watch paint dry" party this weekend. You can come if you like and see jsut how awesome watching paint dry can be.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 30 May 2008, 11:54

You're right. My apologies to Serman-Williams.
-Wraith
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 30 May 2008, 12:06

Wraith wrote:You're right. My apologies to Serman-Williams.

Hahaha.
That was honestly really funny to me. Well played.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 30 May 2008, 12:32

Isn't it 'Sherman'?
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 30 May 2008, 20:09

Melendwyr wrote:Isn't it 'Sherman'?

It's actually 'Sherwin-Williams'.

GO PAINT.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 30 May 2008, 21:20

Allen! wrote:
Melendwyr wrote:Isn't it 'Sherman'?

It's actually 'Sherwin-Williams'.

GO PAINT.
Is that a command or a cheer?
Image Image Image
HomerTheBrave

Postby HomerTheBrave » 30 May 2008, 23:36

I think it's funny that so many on the forum seem to think that Boll was some crazy dude who made bad movies because he's nuts or something.

The first job of directing a commercial film is to convince people to hand you large sums of money. People tend not to hand large sums of money to crazy dudes.

The real goal of this kind of filmmaking is to make money. Boll is making the movies he can make in the commercial environment he swims within.

I'm looking forward to seeing 'Postal' on DVD. I might even buy a copy to put next to 'Idiocracy' and 'Freddy Got Fingered,' all underrated farces that saw only limited release.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 30 May 2008, 23:40

HomerTheBrave wrote:I might even buy a copy to put next to 'Idiocracy' and 'Freddy Got Fingered,' all underrated farces that saw only limited release.

Except that Idiocracy was funny and Freddy Got Fingered wasn't.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 31 May 2008, 12:59

Freddy got fingered also didn't have a limited release.

It SHOULD HAVE, but it didn't.
-Wraith
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 31 May 2008, 19:22

Marketing and Engineers: two groups of people who think something looks good on paper but never realize how it won't work in real life.

If you are in either field, i urge you to take a day or two and visit the site of the people who will be using the plans. You may realize that things won't actually work as well as you think.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 31 May 2008, 23:06

Engineers go through entire courses thinking about how things are applied to real people. I'm a mechanical engineer at university right now, and every decision we make is based on its applicability to real people. It's the job of physicists and chemists to push the boundaries of modern science, but any engineer that does not take into account the human element is a poorly educated engineer.
That's Design 101.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 31 May 2008, 23:10

Sieg Reyu wrote:Is that a command or a cheer?

I... I... I don't know!
*sobs*
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Triangular
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Triangular » 31 May 2008, 23:45

Awesome you guys, very fascinating indeed. I really like the points he makes about pompous hollywood's way of showing the disgustingly populous movies.

lol I thought it was very funny seeing Bayswater street in the background at the end.

Did this yearn a new found respect for you guys for him?
Always speak your mind, those that matter wont mind,
and those that mind, don't matter
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 01 Jun 2008, 05:03

HomerTheBrave wrote:I think it's funny that so many on the forum seem to think that Boll was some crazy dude who made bad movies because he's nuts or something.

Yup, that's what I tried to say ^^

GO PAINT! Woooo! PAINT FTW!
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 01 Jun 2008, 19:37

HomerTheBrave wrote:I think it's funny that so many on the forum seem to think that Boll was some crazy dude who made bad movies because he's nuts or something.

Watch some clips of him talking, him punching out "haters", etc. You'll see why.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
I, Nameless Slug

Postby I, Nameless Slug » 02 Jun 2008, 15:09

Bit lazy on the ad. Although a lot of it's views will be off site...
a_-
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 02 Jun 2008, 17:32

I, Nameless Slug wrote:Bit lazy on the ad. Although a lot of it's views will be off site...

That's the main reason actually.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”