An Interview with Uwe Boll

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
RoomKeyNinja

Postby RoomKeyNinja » 26 May 2008, 21:30

...Wow, just wow...

You know, I've been entirely convinced that Uwe Boll is a horrible director and his movies are terrible and...I've never seen any of his movies. Not one. Not a single one.

Wow, weird mental snapping. I still imagine his movies aren't very good, but at least I now realize that, having not seen them, I really can't say.

*Also wishing for an unsign on the petition*
Is eternally grateful to Misty for this .gif
Also plotting how to destroy Bill, as all Ninjas should
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 26 May 2008, 21:38

Darkobra wrote:The man may be intelligent, but I still pray to God every night that he stays the HELL AWAY FROM MAKING A FINAL FANTASY MOVIE!

I would watch a Boll Final Fantasy movie.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
TheSugarRay

Movies

Postby TheSugarRay » 26 May 2008, 21:46

I've tried to watch Alone in the dark and Blood Ray and haven't made it past three minutes. I watched them on TV and I couldn't stand them. The camera, the actors, the costumes, the lines it all stuck out and I quickly changed the channel. I saw this god-awful stealth seen were the chick tried to sneak up on a fat thing somehow woke it up and a lame fight started.
...or a baby
Don't fondle energy coils.
Citin

Postby Citin » 26 May 2008, 21:52

This was very cool to see, thanks Graham.

It was nice to get some insight into the man behind the internet hype.
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 26 May 2008, 21:53

Graham wrote:
gobobgo82 wrote:So did this interview actually make you like Boll, or his movies?

I would say "like", but I certainly respect the man more now. I definitely hold no personal ill will for him, and I hope he is successful.

I still think the movies of his that I have seen, are awful. But that is my opinion.

That being said, is that the end of LRR poking fun at his expense? Will Uwe Boll no longer be used for humor on Loading Ready Run.com?
Casandro

Postby Casandro » 26 May 2008, 21:57

Well I still have one point of criticism about Uwe Boll.
He rightfully complains that the whole movie business is now just corrupt and money driven. However he supports that attitude by making extremely expensive movies.

Just look at the great movies of the past, the ones you remimber. Those rarely are the expensive ones of that time. Just look at Dark Star. It surely didn't cost several million dollars.
LRR manages to put out shorts which can easily compete with most commercial works, for a budget of a few thousand dollars a year which the makers even pay out of their own pocket. (we might talk in a year about an investment there)
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 26 May 2008, 22:05

Extremely expensive movies that apparently aren't out to make a profit. Or, at least, he hasn't made a profit, really.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Pattmyn

Postby Pattmyn » 26 May 2008, 22:10

*clap clap clap*

Good job guys, good job.

Saying anything else would just be over complicating it.
"The stars will be your night lights, and I will be your lullaby."
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 26 May 2008, 22:27

Holy shit! Paul said "fuck"!
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 26 May 2008, 22:34

Do you think Uwe Boll has looked at your website now?
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 26 May 2008, 22:45

Um... so he's saying, he makes bad movies (okay, maybe they aren't as bad as we make them to be. There sure are worse movies. But they (the few I saw) aren't anyway near "good", either) because... um... all other movies are bad, also?
Because he can't do good movies without a big budget?

I'm still not sure why he makes BAD MOVIES.

But still, nice interview.
If you ever need someone to play a German, he's very convincing ; )
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
Casandro

Postby Casandro » 26 May 2008, 22:51

browncoat wrote:If you ever need someone to play a German, he's very convincing ; )

I don't know, he doesn't have the bavarian accent. People won't believe he's german without it.
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 26 May 2008, 23:29

cool interview it changed my perspective of him, i probably will se postal now

i cant get over how eerie it is that he mentioned "18 year old from minnesota whos never seen one of my movies" cause i fit all of those criteria...
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 26 May 2008, 23:34

I planned on seeing postal just so i could see if i'd walk out of it.

Now it sounds funny.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 26 May 2008, 23:38

(WARNING! LONG POST! SKIP TO END FOR SUMMARY!)

I still will not see his movies, but not because he is involved. This interview really was necessary to show that the man is being pushed into a corner by everything and is really striking back in order to save his sanity. As someone who has bottled emotion, criticism, torment, and so on up inside themselves, I understand and support his decision to fight back.

Hollywood does have a major censorship issue, and I can explain one of his points.

CHILDREN: Shooting children is very shocking and disturbing, and personally I don't want to see it happen, but sadly it is a real thing in our world. We see it on the news and have to face it daily. However, we go to the movies to escape that horror and suspend our reality for a few hours. As much as we can do that, we also know that we are living and conscious people in a real world, and the screen is the fantasy. If we have to think "Whoa! Rambo just gutted that 6 year old. Sweet!," we inherantly feel that we are perverted in some way.

I don't think Boll would have just shot up an orphanage for a movie just to be evil, but using it does require some heavy doses of reality.

As for the sameness issue in Hollywood, well that's all because we are in a severe economic recession in America and Hollywood needs to produce a lot of movies to keep the out-of-school hyperactive kids in a quiet place for a little bit so Mommy and Daddy can take a melon-farming nap once in a while. I miss the days when we had Amelie, Brokeback Mountain, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and Napoleon Dynamite to hold up the indie film and word of mouth advertising demographics. Those were all (relatively) good movies, and I enjoyed watching all of them.

SUMMARY:
- Boll is intelligent, but I still don't want to see his movies (not my cup of tea).
- Hollywood is stuck in a rut.
- Violence involving children is bad to use unless there is a sever point, but we still don't want to see it.
- I enjoyed Brokeback Mountain, Amelie, My big Fat Greek Wedding, and Napoleon Dynamite, all word-of-mouth movies.
Kroze
Filled With Regret

Postby Kroze » 27 May 2008, 00:33

I am taken aback by this really well done interview.
I am thankful to say I am not one of those ones who signed that petition but not because I wanted him to keep making the crap he does, but more so that I knew it really wouldn't do anything.

Uwe Boll does seem like a smart and intelligent guy. I mean he would have to be to keep getting the money and the rights to do all the films he's been doing even though they keep tanking in the box office (thats not to say they don't tank for good reason).
I, myself have seen several of his films and have disliked every single one of them. I still will not be going to see Postal after watching this video but at least it has put some insight to how over the top his productions tend to be.

I still do think that with the right movie, Boll can make something really good. I always have thought that but with the way he has gone so far, he hasn't hit anything really solid yet and its really hard for me to randomly go see yet another one of his movies (Especially with the rising theater ticket prices) without tons of people telling me that Boll has managed to come up with something that finally works.
But from what he said, it doesn't matter if we see it in theaters. He makes everything off the DVD sales and TV viewings so I don't feel too bad about not going to see it.

I do disagree with several of his points but I agree with some of them as well... this has been a hard video for me to process because of these mixed views.

I do look forward to what Uwe Boll has up his sleeve next.
Here's to hoping that he one day finds his footing in the film industry with a film that turns out to be good.
theINC

Postby theINC » 27 May 2008, 00:51

Really interested to watch this. My internet finally came back from dial-up speed today.
I think I'll download it at school though, just to keep my download limit for longer.
Woland owes me 10 points.
forkbomb!
Location: Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill: the Nexus of the Universe.

Re: Kevin Smith?

Postby forkbomb! » 27 May 2008, 01:09

Whoa, this is the LRR video I thought I'd never see. I've always been sad that you guys missed Boll when he was filming Dungeon Siege, but now at long last we get an interview. The only thing I've seen by Boll was the funny-but-evil Postal intro; if I get a chance I'll try to watch the rest of the movie (with an open mind).

Gray24 wrote:I had a question. I watched through the interview with Uwe Boll, and he mentioned that your really shouldn't make in independent movie. I don't know if this refutes his argument, but wouldn't Kevin Smith, not being a structure director, and finding success make an independent movie possible. Remember, Smith wrote and filmed Clerks while working in a convenience store.

I think Clerks falls under Boll's "Make an outrageous movie that really gets people talking" clause. Hell, if it hadn't been for the "37 dicks" line, Harvey Weinstein would never have bought it.
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 27 May 2008, 01:23

By the way, Graham, did you happen to tell Mr. Boll that he won the 2006 LRR Lifetime Achievement Award?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 27 May 2008, 01:24

Evil Jim wrote:By the way, Graham, did you happen to tell Mr. Boll that he won the 2006 LRR Lifetime Achievement Award?

I definitely considered it originally, but then we decided to not be dicks about it.
NintendoRev

Postby NintendoRev » 27 May 2008, 01:30

So went to my home page and saw the kotaku feed:
http://kotaku.com/5011019/uwe-boll-gets-serious

you got Kotaku'd
Last edited by NintendoRev on 27 May 2008, 01:32, edited 2 times in total.
Friend of the Lemon Tree, Perhaps you forgot.
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 27 May 2008, 01:31

Graham wrote:I definitely considered it originally, but then we decided to not be dicks about it.

Yeah, I kind of figured that. Did it feel hypocritical at all being polite & respectful with him after all the negative stuff done about him on LRR? Or were the other videos generally done in good fun?

NintendoRev wrote:you got Kotaku'd

It's about time. Good eye on that. I've been checking Kotaku this evening too.
Last edited by Evil Jim on 27 May 2008, 02:02, edited 2 times in total.
Bryy M. Miller
First Video: Dinosaur

Postby Bryy M. Miller » 27 May 2008, 01:31

Wow.

I always had an ounce of respect for Boll for doing what he wants...

But this was one of the most effing fascinating things that I have ever seen in my life.

He says some really intelligent things that I never thought I'd hear an industry man say.

Some really intelligent things.
nizno

Postby nizno » 27 May 2008, 01:33

Wow. My opinion on his movies didn't change but I now understand why he did the movies and respect the movies and him more. But I still don't understand how you get an interview with him. Did he saw the other videos about him?
As Albert Einstein ones said: "Have you seen my keys?"
Kroze
Filled With Regret

Postby Kroze » 27 May 2008, 01:35

I've been working on pimping this out at any place I could find...
Although now I have the feeling I will be ripped on for "Stealing" it from Kotaku....

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”