An Interview with Uwe Boll

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 27 May 2008, 09:55

I have to say it was refreshing to see him speaking in a rational level I just saw that one youtube video, and I found it upsetting, that said I can atleast understand where he's coming from in reference to the Saw movies, I never saw any of those either, I look at movies from an entertainment view point most things don't bother me in movies but when it get too violent or whatever it stops being entertainment, it's almost painful to watch movies that push it that far.

I haven't seen any of his films, this is not me being proud, just a fact. I generally avoid video game movies like the plague (no offense) because I may like X game but the format of that game is interactive, you can do things differently in it, play it over and over, almost like it has a life of it's own a movie of that same video game, is like a 2D representation of that game you watch it once, and you've seen it for all it was. likewise movies that get turned into a video game are stretched and hacked to become a video game, that's why I think the 2 don't really get along.

I love watching movies, I watch a movie every night, and go to the cinema once a week usually. I even fought on forums for Blu-ray because it had more space and with the faster bitrate was able to present the movies in the best quality possible, scratch protection a nice + :D what I get out of movies is a story line, something that pulls me into the story for 2 hours, whether it be a comedy, horror, action, whatever that's what I define as a hallmark in a great movie. Anyways I think it's cool that Uwe Boll did the interview, I found it very enlightening. :)
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 27 May 2008, 10:18

I have been Bolled over by this interview. Ha ha, see what I did there? Oh, I kill myself.

I agree that it is fascinating to see Boll talking about his own work in his own voice. I admit I was outright surprised at how reasonable he was - how calm, rational, and articulate (He sure speaks better English than I do German). It seemed like he really was digging talking with the LRRCamera, Graham et al., and that's really cool.

It was basically awesome of you guys not to be dicks to him - I can think of a dozen other people/sites off the top of my head who just would have tried to use him as a personal punching bag in the name of web traffic. It just seemed like y'all were having a good time hanging out and talking about the world of filmmaking and movies. Just really, really good work, guys.

I've been thinking I might rent Name of the King on DVD, just to see how silly it might be. It's really nice to have seen the "man behind the madness," as it were.
Bryy M. Miller
First Video: Dinosaur

Postby Bryy M. Miller » 27 May 2008, 10:55

So many people on other sites are reacting negatively to this. They simply cannot handle that Boll may be a decent - and even an amazingly intelligent - guy. They want the Boll that challenges his critics to fistfights and yells "who has the bad movie now?" at his downed opponents. They don't want to hear that it's making fun of publicity stunts.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 27 May 2008, 10:58

Yeah, well it was kind of surprising for me to.
My favourite comment on Kotaku was something to the effect of:

"Okay, I'm not going to watch this video but I want to say that I HATE Uwe Boll and I can't believe all you people are saying that you're thinking otherwise about him!!!"

Hilarious!
maxman14

Postby maxman14 » 27 May 2008, 11:05

he comes off as stubborn in my opinion. like when he was saying he would never go to starbucks? a little over board.
"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself,
and see if we may not eff it after all." -Douglas Adams
Kroze
Filled With Regret

Postby Kroze » 27 May 2008, 11:05

I am just amazed about how many people are just completely ignoring it because it has Uwe Boll in the title...
Bryy M. Miller

Postby Bryy M. Miller » 27 May 2008, 11:07

Graham wrote:Yeah, well it was kind of surprising for me to.
My favourite comment on Kotaku was something to the effect of:

"Okay, I'm not going to watch this video but I want to say that I HATE Uwe Boll and I can't believe all you people are saying that you're thinking otherwise about him!!!"

Hilarious!

It looks like somebody told the general population that people who have seen this video and rate it favorably hate Iron Man.
Oxford
First Video: The Whatever Thing

Postby Oxford » 27 May 2008, 11:12

Well, he certainly knows his shit. That's for sure. Seems like a nice guy, actually. This has probably been asked already, but I'm thinking that the Boll-bashing will decrease a bit on the site?

Also, Starbucks policy blows. Tim Horton's is way better.

I also don't like the Saw flicks at all. I'd rather watch a documentary on lint for 24 straight hours than 2 hours of Saw.
Last edited by Oxford on 27 May 2008, 11:16, edited 2 times in total.
9 out of 10 Americans believe that out of 10 people 1 American will always disagree with the other 9.
gplgeek

Postby gplgeek » 27 May 2008, 11:14

Boll seems like a smart and confident man. This puts a light on another side of him, not seen in his marketing image.

He is correct about movie making. Be rich, be pop, or be damned.

I still maintain that some of the best movies used wires and shadows, not CGI but people in a whole don't understand the soul behind a good production they just want flashing graphics story line be damned.

Great job on the interview. Has he seen the boll videos on LRR? That's the question I'd ask.
Bryy M. Miller

Postby Bryy M. Miller » 27 May 2008, 11:14

Oxford wrote:Well, he certainly knows his shit. That's for sure. Seems like a nice actually. This has probably been asked already, but I'm thinking that the Boll-bashing will decrease a bit on the site?

And only on this site, as the rest of the internet is only incensed that he's a nice guy.
Oxford
First Video: The Whatever Thing

Postby Oxford » 27 May 2008, 11:17

Yeah. I definitely have changed my opinion of him.
9 out of 10 Americans believe that out of 10 people 1 American will always disagree with the other 9.
Bryy M. Miller

Postby Bryy M. Miller » 27 May 2008, 11:27

My favorite quote of all time, and of course I paraphrase here: "I don't care if he's the nicest guy in the world, he makes bad films and that makes him a douchebag".
Valandil

Postby Valandil » 27 May 2008, 11:47

"Furore" is the British spelling and it includes an extra syllable as a result -- just checked my OED.
Wraith wrote:WHY DOES THIS KEEP GETTING HARDER?!
Jiko

Postby Jiko » 27 May 2008, 13:02

A few weeks ago, after watching all of the YouTube highlights of Dr Boll, I came to a very similar conclusion that theres no way that a guy this insane could exist but that it's all great marketing for postal and it totally changed my opinion of him. I felt so strongly about how much my opinion changed that I sent him a two page email to his publicist and to an email address he has on his film company site.

I have to say, I was more than a little suprised when I got an email back thanking me for the email within 5 minutes with a tag on the bottom in German saying it was sent from his blackberry.
Urdar

Postby Urdar » 27 May 2008, 13:04

The Interview really was very interesting and gave a new insight to this man who made some very bad movies.

I really have to say, taht he made some points, I might not like his movies better, but the guy behind those isn't disliked that much anymore.
Making the world a weirder place.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 27 May 2008, 13:05

Graham wrote:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/furor

Click "Audio Help"

:( Um...

...actually click the grey 'speaker symbol' that looks kinda like <
just to the left of "Audio Help", unless you're looking for a couple of extra clicks and some instructions on how to use the audible pronunciation feature...

...and sorry for correcting you on an otherwise argument-settling resolution to this whole pedantic mess. :oops:

(And thank you for standing up for veracity, Allen! My Inner Grammar Nazi™ jumped at the 'three syllables' bit...)

maxman14 wrote:he comes off as stubborn in my opinion. like when he was saying he would never go to starbucks? a little over board.

Yeah...kinda - oh, what's word for it..."bullheaded"?..."iconoclastic" doesn't quite fit, but it's close. The sort of person who might "throw the baby out with the bath water."... -ish :?

Anywaysers, it's good to see him talk 'out of character' so-to-speak, and show he has what it takes to earn a doctorate in his field. It's just a pity his vision that he puts forth in his films doesn't jive with more people (me, especially...from my selfish perspective :D )
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 27 May 2008, 13:20

I think he was joking when he was talking about Starbucks.

I also think that's his biggest problem, that his sense of humour is so dry (and his persona is so believable) that no one realizes he's joking.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 May 2008, 13:29

Basically 3 PS3's, except worse.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 27 May 2008, 13:37

empath wrote:Anywaysers, it's good to see him talk 'out of character' so-to-speak, and show he has what it takes to earn a doctorate in his field.

Too bad it's not a doctorate in film. Or direction. Or screen writing.

Graham wrote:I also think that's his biggest problem, that his sense of humour is so dry (and his persona is so believable) that no one realizes he's joking.

Master Gunner wrote:Basically 3 PS3's, except worse.

Ha! I remember that. There was (is?) so much bile on Youtube when that came out. Why are people so dense?
You know what, don't answer that.
I've got a very strong feeling that a lot of those people didn't even watch 'Three PS3s' before opening their cakeholes. Or after, for that matter.
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 27 May 2008, 13:49

I was reading through the comments to get a vibe of what Kotatku members where feeling about the whole, same thing is sorta reflect in the comments although I find this one funny:

to the guys at Loading Ready Run:

BUY A TRIPOD.

I'm assuming you guys were on the move so much it was pointless really and with sitting down I'm sure using a tripod would've ment the camera would be looking down at you.
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

florn
It's Over 2000!!!

Postby florn » 27 May 2008, 14:09

I've been wondering why everyone has been saying how intelligent he seems in that interview, but I now realize that because I had no previous developed opinions of him, not having seen his movies as far as I know, I realize that comparatively to what people thought of him before, talking normally like that is pretty good.
I, Nameless Slug

Postby I, Nameless Slug » 27 May 2008, 14:10

I really want to see some of his movies now. I am feeling really bad about signing that petition without ever seeing his movies. Damn.
a_-
StoneageRocker
Ret-con'd: Correct

Postby StoneageRocker » 27 May 2008, 14:24

StoneageRocker wrote:
StoneageRocker wrote:Did he come to you, or did you go to him?

Graham you seem to have this knack of answering other people's questions and ignoring mine

Hello Graham, have I got all my posts set to invisible? Please would you mind answering my question?
In England.........

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 27 May 2008, 14:34

Sorry, StonageRocker, I missed it.

We came to him, sort of.
He was all for doing it, but someone (namely, Tank_Girl) asked on our behalf. It's all in the podcast.

He was totally cool about it too. Any excuse for more publicity for Postal, I guess.
codewolf

Postby codewolf » 27 May 2008, 14:49

i cant say that i will start liking his movies better but i do admit some of my perspective of him has changed.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”