National Anathema

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 30 Jun 2008, 13:34

funny stuff. I've never heard O Canada before.

at least, not the national anthem. Five Iron Frenzy wrote their own Sca version which is a lot of fun, but decidedly nothing like a national anthem.

Of course, this set me thinking, and I tried to remember what the US anthem is. For some reason, though, I keep trying to sing it to the tune of Silent Night, which is so close to working that it throws me off, but so far from working that it doesn't help me remember the words at all!

And another happy Canadia day to our neighbors to the north.(and south, to those who happen to live in Alaska.)
Smallpoxxer

Postby Smallpoxxer » 30 Jun 2008, 14:09

Lord Chrusher wrote:Also I am not sure if the term 'undefined border' should be use for the post 9/11 Canada US border.

What Us Canadian border? Most Americans don't even know that the terroists of 9/11 came into America from Canada. 9/11 was just used as an excuse to build a wall to stop Mexicans. Just like there wasn't much if any connection between 9/11 and Iraq. Most of Al-Qaeda were in Afganistan.

But enough about me, how are you?
If you can't laugh at yourself, just laugh at other people.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 30 Jun 2008, 14:17

Are you confusing Ahmed Ressam and his plot to bomb LAX on New Years Eve 1999 with 9/11? None of 9/11 hijackers entered the US through Canada.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 30 Jun 2008, 14:20

Corax wrote:we got screwed out of a weekly video just for some holiday that unless ur in canada u dont care about.

Shut up Corax. You're always pissing on the videos. Why are you still coming?
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
EdZ

Postby EdZ » 30 Jun 2008, 14:27

Oh hey, it's the Avro Arrow!
Daco
First Video: can't remember

Postby Daco » 30 Jun 2008, 14:35

AHAHAHAHAHAHAA
niiice
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 30 Jun 2008, 14:43

Corax wrote:we got screwed out of a weekly video just for some holiday that unless ur in canada u dont care about.

Fact 1:
The crew, and a large number of the fans, are from Canada.
Fact 2:
The video is entertaining to people outside of Canada.
Fact 3:
You're a fucking moron.
Fact 4:
Kill yourself.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
forty6andtwo

Postby forty6andtwo » 30 Jun 2008, 14:46

If you listen to the LRRcasts, these fine gentlemen (and ladies) explain that they make these videos because they think it's funny. And if you don't think it's funny, oh well. And what's not funny about lumberjacks? Classic throwback to the Pythons. Cha-cha-cha!!
~~Out of work drummer in Victoria looking for a band to play with, inquire within~~
forkbomb!
Location: Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill: the Nexus of the Universe.

Postby forkbomb! » 30 Jun 2008, 14:49

Great vid. Very appropriate (and topical, considering the recent brouhaha) use of Hockey Night in Canada

Lord Chrusher wrote:To be a little on the pedantic side... 'undefined'

That's 'undefended'.
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 30 Jun 2008, 14:53

Kennsta wrote:I forgot were also the country with the longest coast line... and yes i looked that up on Wikipedia.

Since coastlines are fractal geometries, technically every country has an infinitely long coastline.

"The more you know!"
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 30 Jun 2008, 14:53

tak197 wrote:@wilson: Hey, you guys get to take a nap mid-day as part of your culture. Don't complain. (Yes, I know what a siesta actually is, dut seriously, I want to have a government-instated naptime, cuz I drag ass about 3:45 in the afternoon)

That was stupid & racist.

I have been working for the last 11 years in all kind of companies, local and foreign and I have NEVER received permission to sleep during the day.In Mexico there is no such thing as a goverment-instated nap ¬¬

Allen! wrote:

Fact 1:
The crew, and a large number of the fans, are from Canada.
Fact 2:
The video is entertaining to people outside of Canada.
Fact 3:
You're a fucking moron.
Fact 4:
Kill yourself.

QFT
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 30 Jun 2008, 14:53

Welcome to every video we have made in the past 5 years at this time of the year!
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 30 Jun 2008, 14:57

Corax is the new Wraith :evil:

Back to topic:

Seriously, compare God Save the Queen to Rule Britannia, which sounds more national anthem-y? Certainly both still have their issues in contemporary civilisation, but the latter still sounds better than the former to me.
Last edited by Lyinginbedmon on 30 Jun 2008, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 30 Jun 2008, 14:59

Lyinginbedmon wrote:

Don't insult Wraith like that.
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 30 Jun 2008, 15:00

As for the video...quite awesome!

And at least you Canadians have a national anthem that normal people can sing.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 30 Jun 2008, 15:11

Flewellyn wrote:
Lyinginbedmon wrote:

Don't insult Wraith like that.

Yeah. srsly.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 30 Jun 2008, 15:19

wilson_x1999 wrote:
tak197 wrote:@wilson: Hey, you guys get to take a nap mid-day as part of your culture. Don't complain. (Yes, I know what a siesta actually is, dut seriously, I want to have a government-instated naptime, cuz I drag ass about 3:45 in the afternoon)

That was stupid & racist.

How was that in any way racist? It's a common stereotype/misconception that is akin to saying all canadians live in igloos. He wasn't making a value judgemt of you based on it, he was just making a goofy joke. To call his statemt racist is taking it way, WAY too seriously.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Telekenesis

Postby Telekenesis » 30 Jun 2008, 15:25

Tiger1313 wrote:I liked the video. I am curious how many of the non-Canadians recognize the hockey night in Canada song and know what happened to it.

Also is Canada man going down to the big celebration again this year?
Have to see if his power still works.

FOR THE LOVE OF KEYTARS PLEASE GOSH YES.

Graham. I'm sure you know by this point in time that we all love you.
So PLEASE, tear off your sweater vest like Superman takes off his suit & stick that toque on.

:lol:
Graham wrote:Clearly I'm dancing like a ninny intentionally.

Graham wrote:It's a lot of phun.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 30 Jun 2008, 15:28

Dude... dude:

1) This was an awesome video, with a funny buildup to a hilarious ending,
2) It's both entertaining and comforting for me to see people who like their country enough to be able to poke fun at it,
3) We care about LRR, and LRR cares about Canada, therefore we care about Canada, even if only at a remove,
4) This WAS a perfectly good weekly video,
5) Cram it in your noise hole, please.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 30 Jun 2008, 15:31

Also, it's true: "The Star-Spangled Banner" does need some updating.

I couldn't manage it without a whole lot of bitterness, though. LRR seems to have some comedic anthem-taste: What do you think should be the USA's theme song?
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
'"
Kate!

Postby Kate! » 30 Jun 2008, 15:46

Dr Frankenjam wrote:**snigger** beavers

I was waiting for that.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 30 Jun 2008, 15:49

Hooray! Happy Canada Day, dear brothers & sisters to the north. If I wasn't already stuck in Wisconsin I'd be proud to be Canadian. I also love seeing LRR's Canadian pride.

Despite the faults pointed out in the video, the Canadian national anthem is still better than the USA's. Ours is essentially two questions asking "do you see the flag?" and "is it still there?" set to the tune of a British drinking song (whose original lyrics are much better.)

Smallpoxxer wrote:First, you didn't mention Maple Syrup! As the leader of the future Pancakeland, I am insulted.

I for one, salute the leader of future Pancakeland :D

Melendwy's signature wrote:Honestly, after playing a game that allows you to disembowel people with a pair of pants, it's hard to go back to playing a game that doesn't allow you to disembowel people with a pair of pants. -Keiseth

What is this wondrous game in which you can disembowel people with a pair of pants??

Edit:
Also, Tim Hortons! I welcomed them with glowing hearts when I saw the stores while visiting Maine last year.
Last edited by Evil Jim on 30 Jun 2008, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Ozz

Postby Ozz » 30 Jun 2008, 15:54

I thought it was great.

Going offtopic a little, I got into the habit of calling Canada "Canadia" a few years back. Now I can't seem to shake it.
tothehorrorshow

Postby tothehorrorshow » 30 Jun 2008, 16:02

Honestly I think the video is just as entertaining as everything else that has been posted before. I've been watching for about a year now and this is the kind of stuff I expect (and love to see) You don't have to be from the land of mounties to find a giggle or too....so good job guys :D
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 30 Jun 2008, 16:10

Evil Jim wrote:
Melendwy's signature wrote:Honestly, after playing a game that allows you to disembowel people with a pair of pants, it's hard to go back to playing a game that doesn't allow you to disembowel people with a pair of pants. -Keiseth

What is this wondrous game in which you can disembowel people with a pair of pants??
Permit me to commend to you: Dwarf Fortress

It's in the alpha stage, as it has been for the past four years and will probably continue to be for the foreseeable future, but it's perfectly playable - and AWESOME.

You may want to take a look at the Dwarf Fortress wiki to help you get started.
'"

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”