Right to the source

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
sevey

Postby sevey » 08 Jul 2008, 12:41

I watched it again and you're right it would have been really dumb if you had played it not seriously. Also where did you guys get all the footage used for this video and the LRR3K ones?
WaffleIronMan wrote:They all look the same in the dark...unless they're fat
WaffleIronMan
First Video: Underpantaloons

Postby WaffleIronMan » 08 Jul 2008, 12:46

So THAT'S where ice cream comes from. I've been wondering about that. XD
Crast

Postby Crast » 08 Jul 2008, 12:46

Just spurred to register after watching this video because I thought this one was great. I especially liked the mining footage which was practically perfect.
Elaro
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Elaro » 08 Jul 2008, 13:09

Graham wrote:
StoneageRocker wrote:Was it just me or did some bits of the video jump around a bit, and near the end of the video it seemed to flash green every now and again

Weird encoding bugs with the MPEG 2 source footage. I'll try and fix it up.

Personally, I found that the video "crud", so to speak, added to the whole "old timey" flavor.

I especially liked the bit with the cows. "Instinct for dairy", indeed!
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 08 Jul 2008, 13:11

This just made me eat some Ice cream but I have to say I didn't find that funnny :(
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

TyGuy88

Postby TyGuy88 » 08 Jul 2008, 13:28

You really got this video to be so 1950's, from the stock footage to the filter to the narrators dialogue, I love it. "Dr. so and so who loves his wife and kids very much." "actually im gay but thank you." really did the trick for me.

incidentaly, whenever i'm eating a bowl of ripple ice cream I always think i'm mining for the chocolate in it with my spoon...

hehe the info about the cows and dairy farms must be one hell of a conspiracy...
Ender: No luck sarge, he "says" he doesn't know.
(WACK)
Moody: Suppose we try again...
Zhyard

Postby Zhyard » 08 Jul 2008, 13:33

Red Charlie wrote:This just made me eat some Ice cream but I have to say I didn't find that funnny :(

I have to agree. There was too few (good) jokes and I can't realy put my finger on it but it was certainly something missing.
Radical Ans

Postby Radical Ans » 08 Jul 2008, 13:42

Lord Chrusher wrote:I think a lot of the stock footage is of salt mining.

That's what I was thinking as well. I had a personal lol because I used to work at the company that makes the machine that was gathering up the ice cream in the one bit of stock footage.
Woland

Postby Woland » 08 Jul 2008, 13:59

Graham wrote:Playing comedy seriously is what we do.

Besides, it wouldn't have worked otherwise, it would have look amateurish.

Still, I respect that opinion.
It was a concept video, not a LOL-fest.

Understandable, but it seems that the "concept" is left on its own. Because it is presented as an artifact from a world that is completely unseen, it seems deliberately farcical, as opposed to a legitimate part of a larger, curious universe (i.e., it plays like a video one finds online, making fun of "natural foods," as opposed to a serious video from a humorous world where ice cream comes from the ground and gay scientists actually exist). Essentially, I guess, the video wasn't meta enough to get across the message that (I think) you were trying to convey.

"Unless I've completely overlooked something."

On a side note, I thought the bit with the stawberry and chocolate was intentional, a mark of faux-poor filmmaking one might find in an older movie.
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 08 Jul 2008, 14:03

It was really funny when Jer said, "actually, I'm gay"

Also, I loved the ad!

ALL HAIL PAUL!
HighLucifer

Postby HighLucifer » 08 Jul 2008, 14:12

that was different but good and thats why i come to LRR, now all we need is someone who thinks this is real
Crazy Canadian Government
teknotheef

Postby teknotheef » 08 Jul 2008, 14:16

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOPAUL
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 08 Jul 2008, 14:29

I really wish you guys didn't choose ice cream. A) I hate ice cream, but want some right now. B) I am on a diet and can't eat some. :(
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
The_Russ

Postby The_Russ » 08 Jul 2008, 14:36

WoW! I had a totally different idea as to where ice cream came from! I was thinking something to do with milk from cows and all these crazy thoughts!

Thanks LRR for helping me answer another of lifes great questions :D
Bring on the trumpits!
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 08 Jul 2008, 14:37

I am stupefied as to what has just occurred.

What would happen if an industrial accident flooded an ice cream operation with unprocessed phail?
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 08 Jul 2008, 14:39

Also, where does butter come from?

Is it a trade secret? Or the basis of Cold War espionage between Canada and Poland?
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 08 Jul 2008, 14:56

wilson_x1999 wrote:It was really funny when Jer said, "actually, I'm gay"

Also, I loved the ad!

ALL HAIL PAUL!

QFT
"actually, I'm gay" was my favorite line in the video.
I liked the video but it didn't make me laugh as much as they usually do.
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
novel_concept

Postby novel_concept » 08 Jul 2008, 15:00

When I was a kid, I used to dig in the backyard. One time I found an arrowhead. I used to think that was cool. Now, I'm disappointed I didn't find a vein of chocolate ice cream under my playhouse. :(

But then, I didn't have a cow, so maybe that explains it.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 08 Jul 2008, 15:07

novel_concept wrote:When I was a kid, I used to dig in the backyard. One time I found an arrowhead. I used to think that was cool. Now, I'm disappointed I didn't find a vein of chocolate ice cream under my playhouse. :(

But then, I didn't have a cow, so maybe that explains it.

Remember that the cow is drawn to the ice cream, so the absence of a cow is a sign that there is none. The ice cream does not appear or disappear based on the presence of one of our bovine friends.

Therefore, find a playhouse with a cow willfully stationed there, and you'll strike white gold every time. 8)
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 08 Jul 2008, 15:09

Lyinginbedmon wrote:Therefore, find a playhouse with a cow willfully stationed there, and you'll strike white gold every time. 8)

This guy. He gets it.
allison

Postby allison » 08 Jul 2008, 15:11

if cream is from underground.. does that mean theres milk geysers and icecream volcanoes!? :o
ZephCrow

Postby ZephCrow » 08 Jul 2008, 15:16

The whole time I was watching this video, my brain was thinking, "What...? WHAT." Just over and over again.

For some reason, it made perfect sense. In a way that it didn't make sense at all.

Fantastic.
AzracTheUnstable

Postby AzracTheUnstable » 08 Jul 2008, 16:59

Guys, no words can quite encapsulate the sheer awesomeness of this video.

I don't know if the "Actually, I'm gay." line was an intentional reference to The Worst Homosexual, but if it is, well done.
Misty wrote:Azrac happens to have a fuckwin avatar.
novel_concept

Postby novel_concept » 08 Jul 2008, 17:23

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
Remember that the cow is drawn to the ice cream, so the absence of a cow is a sign that there is none. The ice cream does not appear or disappear based on the presence of one of our bovine friends.

Hm...but can we really know that? We can know, with a fair degree of certainty, that the presence of cows indicates the presence of subterranean dairy products, but does it necessarily follow that the absence of bovines equals the absence of ice cream? I believe factors such as human encroachment into their natural habitat, global warming, etc. must be considered, and surely have an impact on the cows' innate ability to act as a kind of dairy divining rod.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 08 Jul 2008, 17:24

Woland wrote:a serious video from a humorous world where ice cream comes from the ground and gay scientists actually exist).

Whoa Whoa Whoa... hold that train. Gay scientists don't exist? Have you ever visited a tech school? LOL.

Otherwise... interesting concept, well composed. However I'm missing the awesomeness of the off the wall antics of Graham and company's true comedic genius. Do we have some new Phail coming soon? That would make up for the lack of ROFLing.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”