The Return of the Bill

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Zack

Postby Zack » 15 Jul 2008, 11:18

Matt wrote:
The Kinda Second Zack wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:
The Kinda Second Zack wrote:Oh, and LRR has officially missed an update (not the first time).

I wouldn't say that. They've released at least one new video without fail every week for nigh on to four years; sometimes more. It may take the equipment past midnite to upload the video to Revver & then to the LRR main page but it's not due to any human error. Personally, I give them the whole week. Monday may be the norm but if the video goes up on Tuesday or even Wednesday it's still the official update for that week & doesn't break their record.

I suppose your right. According to Graham (in the "Video" thread), it's a video a week, not a video every Monday. I'll accept this because he's Graham, but a lot of things lead people to believe that updates are on Mondays ("Hilarious sketch comedy every monday", the Super Secret Surprise video...).

Also, thanks for being mature about this. I appreciate it.

We update weekly. Our scheduled day to update is monday, however if we are unable to get it up on monday the video is not "missed" it is "late". Frequently, late updates are a result of the fact that we rely on a 3rd party to host our videos, and they operate on their own, unpredictable, schedule. The video was uploaded to Revver in plenty of time to be posted on monday. That they took 12 hours to encode and post it is out of our hands.

-m

Fair enough. When I originally posted that LRR had missed, I wasn't really complaining.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 15 Jul 2008, 11:26

Well, we take that kind of thing a bit personally. We bust our asses to get a video out every week, and when someone starts to claim that we've missed an update as if to say we've failed in some way, or let you all down, it trivializes the effort we put in to providing you all something to laugh at every week. We do everything we can to get you your update on time, and when it gets held up we appreciate patient understanding. We do not appreciate griping about how we've broken our commitment.

-m
Last edited by Matt on 15 Jul 2008, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

I am not angry at you.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 15 Jul 2008, 11:30

I notice that Matt's voice has taken on the distinct timbre he used when performing as the obnoxious fan in Deeply Religious.

Is that the 'fanboy voice'?
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 15 Jul 2008, 11:33

Melendwyr wrote:I notice that Matt's voice has taken on the distinct timbre he used when performing as the obnoxious fan in Deeply Religious.

Is that the 'fanboy voice'?

essentially.

although I went more for the athsmatic nasal sound in DR. this was just supposed to be loud and obnoxious.

what a stretch, eh?

-acting-

-m

I am not angry at you.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 15 Jul 2008, 11:38

Lol. Paul, thanks for moving my post. <3

Also, in the original 'Video' thread by Graham, I mentioned, before Melendwyr yelled at me to be nice, that people shouldn't whine about the video being late, or anything of the sort. No updates have been missed, ever, so shh.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Zack

Postby Zack » 15 Jul 2008, 11:39

Matt wrote:Well, we take that kind of thing a bit personally. We bust our asses to get a video out every week, and when someone starts to claim that we've missed an update as if to say we've failed in some way, or let you all down it trivializes the effort we put in to providing you all something to laugh at every week. We do everything we can to get you your update on time, and when it gets held up we appreciate patient understanding. We do not appreciate griping about how we've broken our commitment.

-m

1. You don't have to bust your asses. You can stop doing this if you want to. You've talked about this extensively on the podcasts. Due to the (IMO) recent decrease in funniness, I wouldn't be heartbroken if LRR shut down. I have other sources for comedy.
2. I wasn't griping.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 15 Jul 2008, 11:44

Zack, you're kinda digging a hole. Since you listen to the podcasts, it's likely you've read the forums for a bit, even if you haven't posted all the time. Therefore, it's also likely that you would know that sometimes the video isn't uploaded at midnight, and this, by LRR's "One video a week" standards, doesn't constitute a missed update schedule.

I would kinda stop trying to argue this point if I were you, as you're arguing against an entire community's idea of the norm, effectively stumbling in drunkenly and shouting at everybody for not wearing pants on their head.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 15 Jul 2008, 11:45

I AM NOT TRYING TO PICK ON YOU, I JUST HAVE A QUESTION:
The Kinda Second Zack wrote:Due to the (IMO) recent decrease in funniness, I wouldn't be heartbroken if LRR shut down.

Your opinion. That's totally fine. I am okay with that.

Can you be more specific? I am curious. We like feedback. Can you compare some recent videos to previous ones you enjoyed more?

I consider the "missed update discussion" over now. Let's move on.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 15 Jul 2008, 11:47

Glad to see you drawing on your own life experience for your metaphor there allen :p

I also consider the "missed update discussion" over now. Let's move on.[/quote]

-m

I am not angry at you.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 15 Jul 2008, 11:49

I like to think wisdom comes at a price, Matt.

The price, of course, of having pictures on the internet of you not wearing pants, sometimes on your head.

WHY DO I ALWAYS END UP WITHOUT PANTS WHEN I GET TRASHED.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 15 Jul 2008, 11:51

Allen! wrote:WHY DO I ALWAYS END UP WITHOUT PANTS WHEN I GET TRASHED.

BECAUSE YOU ALWAYS TAKE THEM OFF. YOU HAVE NO ONE TO BLAME BUT YOURSELF. WE'D BE QUITE HAPPY IF YOU LEFT THEM ON.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 15 Jul 2008, 11:55

I personally would like to know why 'Caesar' is misspelled.

Why do you hate the Caesars? Did a Roman Emperor kill your dog, or your ancestor's dog, or something?
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 15 Jul 2008, 12:05

You are a liar, Matt. I think YOU take off my pants all the time, you pervert.
rootbeerbaby

Postby rootbeerbaby » 15 Jul 2008, 12:10

Thought this video was cute. Ninjas are awesome anyway and Matt's performance was great :)

To Mr.Zack I would suggest that you write and submit a script or some ideas. And I don't mean that in a 'huh, see if you can do it!" way. I just mean that if you have a great funny idea in you then everyone would appreciate it. The LRR crew have said they are open to ideas.
Snarking that recent stuff hasn't been up to your discerning tastes = not helpful, surely?
Will write for root beer
Day is followed by dusk followed by night. Then dusk. Then night. Then dusk again.
Frost

Postby Frost » 15 Jul 2008, 12:15

1. Gripe gripe gripe gripe, gripe gripe.
2. Gripe.

fixed
Lacerta
Affable Marmot
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Lacerta » 15 Jul 2008, 12:21

Hah! Are you guys dressed as Peter Davison in the intro ad? That's awesome!
semper fidelis tyrannosaurus
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 15 Jul 2008, 12:24

Lacerta wrote:Hah! Are you guys dressed as Peter Davison in the intro ad? That's awesome!

Fans of the Who as they may be, I think it's more Barbershop Quartet kinda attire.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 15 Jul 2008, 12:29

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
Lacerta wrote:Hah! Are you guys dressed as Peter Davison in the intro ad? That's awesome!

Fans of the Who as they may be, I think it's more Barbershop Quartet kinda attire.

I love LOVE Doctor Who (and Peter Davidson's Doctor) but I think it's less Barbershop Quartet and more "what do we have lying around our apartment?"
sevey

Postby sevey » 15 Jul 2008, 12:32

Great video, the photoshop bits were a little rough but I assumed you guys were trying to mimic the rough, clearly-not-possible-stunts look, which you achieved. I do have one question, which is if Bill just got back now, who the hell has been playing DotA pretending to be Bill. Hmmm maybe the NFO has wifi and Bill had a laptop. That would explain why his connection fucks over our games with lag. Anyway good video, thumbs up guys.
WaffleIronMan wrote:They all look the same in the dark...unless they're fat
Zack

Postby Zack » 15 Jul 2008, 12:37

Allen! wrote:Zack, you're kinda digging a hole. Since you listen to the podcasts, it's likely you've read the forums for a bit, even if you haven't posted all the time. Therefore, it's also likely that you would know that sometimes the video isn't uploaded at midnight, and this, by LRR's "One video a week" standards, doesn't constitute a missed update schedule.

I have already stated previously that I understand this.

Can you be more specific? I am curious. We like feedback. Can you compare some recent videos to previous ones you enjoyed more?

Code: Select all

# The Return of The Bill  -  Some good scenes, but just not that funny.
# Right to the Source  - I dunno, just found it boring. The idea is amusing, but it doesn't get better
# National Anathema  -  Loved it
# A Sacred Duty  -  Very good
# Sick Day  -  Makes me smile, the ending was predictable, the toys, meh
# MGS4 Boss Auditions  -  Don't play MGS
# Inside D&D 4th Edition  -  Don't play D&D
# Bagel Time  -  Not LOL funny, kinda funny
# Son of a Bitch  -  Fun to watch, not that funny.
# First Draft Iron Man Trailer  -  Good
# GTA IV Trailer  -  The only really funny part was the pole, the rest seemed more like random silly stuff

Videos I have really liked (in no particular order):

Code: Select all

# Super Secret Surprise - Beginning season 5
# High Noon - Beginning 5
# WGA, No Way! - Beginning 5
# Pull Yourself Together - End 4
# It's Very Simple - Middle 4
# A Part of Our Heritage  -  AWESOME!!! - Middle 4
# Daylight Savings - Middle 4
# Eyewitness Accounts - Middle 4
# Down with the Sickness - Middle 4
# Dinosaur  - Middle 4
# Anchovies  -  Fantastic punchline - Middle 2
# The Bright Young Newcomer - Middle 2
# The Procratinator - Middle 2
# It's a Wonderful Game - Beginning 4
# Launch Day - Fantastic punchline - Beginning 3
# The Rumble - End 3
# The Small Times - End 3
# Suspend Your Disbelief - Middle 2
# Some more that I can't remember

I consider the "missed update discussion" over now. Let's move on.

Agreed.

Frost, that's just immature and stupid.

Rootbeerbaby, maybe I will.

Allen, once again, you certainly aren't encouraging me to post on these forums. I was under the impression that updates were on mondays and that updating later constitued a miss. Let's move on.
flareism

Postby flareism » 15 Jul 2008, 12:56

Take a deep breath, sir Zack of notingham. That horse your sittin' on is starting to reach Mt. Everest.
Last edited by flareism on 15 Jul 2008, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Got Flare?
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 15 Jul 2008, 12:56

I honestly think that this is my favorite video that you guys have ever done. I love it because I feel like even though it stand perfectly on its own, anyone who's a long time forum goer gets a special little nod and a wink. We've had the "Bill's fighting Ninjas" explanation for a year or so now, and at last, we get the full story!
-Wraith
Frozengale

Postby Frozengale » 15 Jul 2008, 13:01

Due to the (IMO) recent decrease in funniness, I wouldn't be heartbroken if LRR shut down. I have other sources for comedy.

I'm actually new to the site and I started watching the newest videos and going backwards. I would say that this season is a huge improvement on their earlier seasons. In the first season you could tell what they were going for and it was funny and good but it relied to much on the situation being funny and not the actual lines and acting being funny (no offense to you guys of course). In this season they've been getting a good balance of having both a funny situation and being able to give it those extra highlights of humor that can only come out through the acting and placing of lines.

BTW what other sources of comedy are you talking about? I could go for a few more good laughs.
If I ever come up with something witty or interesting I'm not going to display it in plain sight for you buffoons to steal away.
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Postby Nomadic » 15 Jul 2008, 13:02

YAY BILL! *Does vertically obese dance of joy*

*Cough*...right. Um, welcome back to Bill...and do we get to see / hear about your ninja fighting skills / escapades? XD

Excellent movie as always.
Successfully lurking since 1709.
Zack

Postby Zack » 15 Jul 2008, 13:08

Frozengale wrote:
Due to the (IMO) recent decrease in funniness, I wouldn't be heartbroken if LRR shut down. I have other sources for comedy.

[...] it relied to much on the situation being funny and not the actual lines and acting being funny (no offense to you guys of course). In this season they've been getting a good balance of having both a funny situation and being able to give it those extra highlights of humor that can only come out through the acting and placing of lines.

I honestly think the inverse :? . I think that the previous seasons had funny situations and funny lines, where as the more recent ones only have funny situations.

Flareism, :roll: .

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”