Skeletor's Dick

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
CaesarMagnus

Postby CaesarMagnus » 06 Aug 2008, 16:29

I'm trying to see where this video is so "controversial." Someone said it was "a TAD lowbrow" and half the forum get's bent out of shape.
I re-read the posts and I think only one person just outright hated it and another was offended by one line. The rest of us who didn't find it that funny acknowledged it was a well made video and song, but in our opinion we just didn't find it "epic."

If you're going to put a video on the internet and have a forum to discuss it, I think you should be ready for not only praise but that some people might not like it for reasons you might not agree with. But that said, very few people have actually trashed the video or the song. Heck, most people thought it was epic.

EDIT - and now I'm apparently bent out of shape. :wink:
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 06 Aug 2008, 16:36

Sometimes we get pure gold, and sometimes we get 24k, and sometimes it's rose gold or raw nuggets or veined ore in quartz or intricate trinkets cast with the Lost Wax Process.

Then we get increasing amounts of Dutch gold tie pins, and people ooh and aah over how shiny they are. Yeah, they're... they're real shiny, guys. They glitter real good.

One of my younger brothers, whom I had introduced to the site, has already told me he's stopped watching because he just doesn't find it funny any more. I'm about two composition leaf tie pins away from joining him.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Lacerta
Affable Marmot
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Lacerta » 06 Aug 2008, 16:59

Yeah, I totally thought the skinny dude with the guitar was a chick in the first few "rocking out" shots.
semper fidelis tyrannosaurus
Iggy

Postby Iggy » 06 Aug 2008, 17:28

Melendwyr wrote:I'm about two composition leaf tie pins away from joining him.

If you don't like it, then fuck off already. No one wants to sit here listening to you bitching about how everything is getting worse and boohoohoo.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 06 Aug 2008, 17:51

Iggy wrote:
Melendwyr wrote:I'm about two composition leaf tie pins away from joining him.

If you don't like it, then fuck off already. No one wants to sit here listening to you bitching about how everything is getting worse and boohoohoo.

No one wants to read people jump down each other's throats, either.

Tact please?

Mel, I hope you don't go. You're a valued community member.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 06 Aug 2008, 18:00

Master Gunner wrote:So to further that analogy then...we've gotten used to the PURE GOLD!, and this week we were given an equal (if not greater) amount of PURE URANIUM!, which scares the people who think radiation=evil, even when (as in the case of uranium) it isn't even harmful, just slightly warm to the touch. It has the same or greater monetary value, put some people find it a bit scary.

That is a GREAT analogy.

Dear Lrrds,

Please forgive those forum members who are disheartened by this weeks bounty. Please grant them the patience to see the miraculous works of your powers in coming weeks, and allow them to redeem themselves by bowing to your grace.

In Graham's name we pray.

Amen.
Sir_Substance

Postby Sir_Substance » 06 Aug 2008, 18:24

Melendwyr wrote:Sometimes we get pure gold, and sometimes we get 24k, and sometimes it's rose gold or raw nuggets or veined ore in quartz or intricate trinkets cast with the Lost Wax Process.

Then we get increasing amounts of Dutch gold tie pins, and people ooh and aah over how shiny they are. Yeah, they're... they're real shiny, guys. They glitter real good.

One of my younger brothers, whom I had introduced to the site, has already told me he's stopped watching because he just doesn't find it funny any more. I'm about two composition leaf tie pins away from joining him.

is this...some kind of threat or protest? i dont get it.

there is a phrase that gets common usage in the eve online forums. whenever someone threatens to cancel their subscription over a bug or a lack of a feature or whatever, the standard response is "can i have your stuff?".

indicating that if your going to leave, can you give me all your in game shit, because i value the in game shit you ahve collected more then i value you as a player.

unfortunately, there is no LRR forums equivalent by which i can express my utter lack of care that you feel you might stop watching and posting. i doubt i am alone is this opinion.
blackfangs

Postby blackfangs » 06 Aug 2008, 18:37

i dislike how everyone is analyzing the video so much cant we just enjoy it for its phat beats and interesting lyrics?
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 06 Aug 2008, 18:39

Sir_Substance wrote:PREAMBLE...there is no LRR forums equivalent by which i can express my utter lack of care that you feel you might stop watching and posting. i doubt i am alone is this opinion.

That's an incredibly rude thing to say.

What happened to this community? Before this thread, I don't think I can remember a single situation where anyone was so unwelcoming and jerkish as many people in this thread are being. This is not how a community should work.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 06 Aug 2008, 18:45

I would like to interrupt everyone to proclaim that this video is the most epic shit I have ever seen.

Nothing else matters anymore.
Sir_Substance

Postby Sir_Substance » 06 Aug 2008, 19:38

proudfoot wrote:
Sir_Substance wrote:PREAMBLE...there is no LRR forums equivalent by which i can express my utter lack of care that you feel you might stop watching and posting. i doubt i am alone is this opinion.

What happened to this community? Before this thread, I don't think I can remember a single situation where anyone was so unwelcoming and jerkish as many people in this thread are being. This is not how a community should work.

is it perhaps as rude as considering your self of such import in the community that you think everyone will lament that you should leave?

i have no respect for someone with such a high opinion of himself that he thinks that his threatening to leave will cause the LRR crew to stop making what they think is cool and cater to his whims.

to be honest with you, im not really part of this community. im a very occasional poster, and thus i have quite the outside perspective on a lot of issues in this thread.

maybe this guy is your friend, and if he is, i apologize *to you* for offending *you*. but i do not apologize to him, because when i see him posting the standard "change or i will leave" comment, i see a puffed up little sparrow who believes he has some kind of earth shaking significance on this forum.

the only people who have earth shaking significance on this forum are the people whose names sit up the top saying "forum moderators". the rest of us are just here for the ride, and i for one don't care who gets off in the middle of it.
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 06 Aug 2008, 19:38

Corax wrote:not my fav video, it doesn't really feel like a LRR video to me. but good production quality and was atleast worth watching, also i hope you didn't already record the LRRcast so as to ignore our feedback.

Sorry to disappoint :(: For this podcast, it might have been particularly good to be able to respond to viewer feedback, but it's rather difficult to get all of us in one place without scheduling a ways ahead of time. The upload taking so long was not planned, and we didn't have time to change the meeting in accordance. That said, it was recorded on a holiday and therefore has 100% more Jer :).

On the topic of this "not being an LRR video", I assure you that we stand behind it. We like to try new things, and when our friends have ideas, then it's fun to work together and facilitate them :). Granted, this week's video wasn't "standard" sketch comedy, but if you can't take artistic risks when you're self-publishing on the internet and not getting paid for it, then I don't know when you can.

The nice thing about short-form comedy is if it doesn't bite you, at least it's over quick :). Rest assured that we love you guys and would love to be able to please all of you all the time. That we can't goes without saying, but we know what we're good at, and will continue with both more traditional and experimental forms. Also rest assured, the general outcry for more "standard" fare has not fallen on deaf ears.

NecroVale wrote:Is there someplace online to hear more of their music?

Not that I'm aware of, unfortunately, though Geoff does have a MySpace page.

Sir_Substance wrote: Is there an MP3 somewhere?

We'll ask Geoff and Pat, as it's really their song. If we can get permission, it'll show up on the blog.

Meledwyr wrote:That isn't hatred. It's indifference, shading downward into disapproval.

Which is much worse for you, I suppose - hatred is at least a passion.

That did seem a bit personal, whether or not that was the intent. Please keep things civil.

Iggy wrote:If you don't like it, then fuck off already. No one wants to sit here listening to you bitching about how everything is getting worse and boohoohoo.

Again, let's be civil.

proudfoot wrote:Mel, I hope you don't go. You're a valued community member.

QFT. I appreciate the passion you obviously have with regard to what we do.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 06 Aug 2008, 20:42

I fell kinda bad for being the first one to voice his indifference (I almost wrote "dissatisfaction," but it seemed too strong) to this vid.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 06 Aug 2008, 21:36

So, I'm not going to sift through 8 pages of people probally complaining of the use of the word dick....without first saying.... HOLY MOTHER OF GOD THAT WAS FUCKING AMAZING TO EPIC PROPORTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The music was fucking fantastic, and the video was hilarious. THIS is the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back for more. I pity the snub nosed for their lack of amusment in penis jokes.

I applaud you LRR.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 06 Aug 2008, 21:37

The one thing that bugged the crap out of me though (and this is from years of theatre) was the gum chewing at the begining.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
achesst

Postby achesst » 06 Aug 2008, 22:04

proudfoot wrote:

Though I have only been a member a short while, I agree with proudfoot. Despite being a total n00b, no one has said a single thing mean to me at all about my opinions on the videos. Why is everyone so mad at everyone else about this video?
cobrabubbles

Postby cobrabubbles » 06 Aug 2008, 22:07

Firstly the song is hilariously awesome, I find myself coming to LRR randomly just to listen to the song again. And the video itself is just jaw dropping. The amazing thing about this site is that even if I don't find myself laughing out loud at a video I'm continually blown away by the talent that goes into the video. Whether that be the performances or the editing, it has always been done flawlessly.

I also can't seem to understand people thinking this is stupid low brow humour. It may not be the 'smart' kind of comedy but as stated before there is nothing wrong with penis jokes. There is a difference in this video in its jokes than someone repeating 'dick' and 'wang' over and over again. That's why it's so good, because the jokes are very, very witty.

Also Morgan IS Skeletor. Nobody will ever be able to pull that role off so perfectly. The scene with him pointing at the two guys then at his dick is absolutely revolutionary. I'll never forget that image, pure gold.
Freestyle Lumberjack

Postby Freestyle Lumberjack » 06 Aug 2008, 22:23

achesst wrote: Why is everyone so mad at everyone else about this video?

I think a lot of this is being blown out of proportion. It seems to me that what happened is a few people said that it wasn't their cup of tea, and other people who liked the video or felt the need to defend LRR argued with their reasoning. Looking back there seems to be many more positive reactions than many of the posts make it sound. The video may have turned out to be controversial, but it seems that the general consensus appreciates the talent and effort that went into the video. Personally, I found this video hilarious and it is definitely one of my favorites. Mad props to Pat and Geoff for the song, and of course props to the "normal" LRR crew members involved.
forkbomb!
Location: Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill: the Nexus of the Universe.

Postby forkbomb! » 06 Aug 2008, 22:33

Lyinginbedmon wrote:I asked a while ago, where does James appear "literally butt-naked"?

What happens in Chemainus STAYS in Chemainus.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 06 Aug 2008, 22:53

I think the best part about this conversation is the part where Geoff came in and basically told us all that he worte it a while ago, and the experience of making the song and the video was the greatest time he has had. No one can take that away from him.

This is probably the most hotly contested topic LRR has seen since "The Worst Homosexual". People, remember, LRR does give us FREE content and that means that sometimes we all won't enjoy it, but inevitably there WILL be content that we all enjoy equally.

If you don't like this video, there is one simple solution to your woes: WATCH ANOTHER VIDEO. Seriously, LRR is coming up on 5 full years of content, most of which is accessible on the site. If one video makes you not want to watch any other videos on this website, that's quite unfortunate.

Now can we please talk about something else other than "is it lowbrow?" and "you suck if you don't agree with me"?

PS: Feel free to disagree with me, I enjoyed the video a lot. In fact, while I was cleaning the shelves at work today, I was singing it to myself.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 06 Aug 2008, 22:57

King Kool wrote:I fell kinda bad for being the first one to voice his indifference (I almost wrote "dissatisfaction," but it seemed too strong) to this vid.

Don't, King Kool. You are entitled to feel that way about it all. Thanks for being the brave one to step forward first and say you didn't like it.
Geoff
First Video: Probably the first one.

Postby Geoff » 06 Aug 2008, 23:00

Gawd help us if we ever decided to make a video for "Orbiting Orson"...

As per a few requests, I'm gonna make up a myspace and/or facebook music page for Bag Fries. We only have a handful of recorded songs (some of them unfinished) as Pat moved away from Victoria shortly after recording commenced. I hope to finish the album one day...the working title is "Druids".
Thanks for the requests for more music, and I'll keep everyone posted with links to the aforementioned sites once they are created.

Geoff.
"Hahahaha...you think this is the real Quaid?...........IT IS!"

http://www.myspace.com/geoffhowe
Sir_Substance

Postby Sir_Substance » 06 Aug 2008, 23:14

achesst wrote:
proudfoot wrote:

Though I have only been a member a short while, I agree with proudfoot. Despite being a total n00b, no one has said a single thing mean to me at all about my opinions on the videos. Why is everyone so mad at everyone else about this video?

perhaps i should clarify the matter. i dont mind that he dislikes the video, i mind the fact that a) he feels the need to say he is going to leave unless the site starts showing content more to his liking and b) he clearly feels that either he is making a potent threat or that he is so important that his desires override all the support shown for this video.

i dont mind how mel feels about the video, but i strongly object to the way he voices that feeling. threatening to leave unless the content is changed is childishly petulant and silly.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 06 Aug 2008, 23:18

Geoff wrote:Gawd help us if we ever decided to make a video for "Orbiting Orson"...

Pfff, I can barely imagine what would happen if we adapted the LoadingReadyLIVE sketch "Pride & Seek".

Actually, I want to do "Orbiting Orson" next time Pat's in town.
Ben

Postby Ben » 06 Aug 2008, 23:42

I think there's another song that might be a little more controversial, though I don't want to give it away.

One vid I'm looking forward to seeing is Catbeard.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”