Skeletor's Dick

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Kerzyni

Postby Kerzyni » 05 Aug 2008, 12:01

Matt wrote:no, not at all. Clever writing and wit differentiate something like Monty Python's "isn't it awfully nice to have a penis" from base-level anatomical or body-function humour
-m

For your pleasure:
Monty Python wrote:Isn't it awfully nice to have a penis?
Isn't it frightfully good to have a dong?
It's swell to have a stiffy,
It's divine to own a dicky,
from the tiniest little tadger
To the world's biggest prick!
So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas.
Hooray for your one-eyed trousers snake.
Your piece of pork, your wife's best friend,
Your Percy or your cock.
You can wrap it up in ribbons,
You can slip it in your sock.
Just don't take it out in public,
Or they'll put you in the dock
And you won't
a-come
a-back.
Semerus

Postby Semerus » 05 Aug 2008, 12:02

I never really thought of skeletors wang a highly romantic subject. I may be wrong your fiance may swing that way....

Did this video take longer to edit and shoot than the usual, with like the smoke effects and overdubbing the music to the mouth movements?
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 05 Aug 2008, 12:07

Matt(and everyone else) wrote:I question your definition of "low-brow"

(this is unimpressive, I'll keep it small)
First; low-brow is the term used by the high-brow to describe anything else, it's not a mark of quality. The entire Literature Renaissance in my country was low brow in it's time; Marlowe, Shakespeare, Donne, ect. are filled with carnavalesque humour, i.e. cock jokes. That doesn't mean they aren't good. Is a well written song about Skeletor's Dick high-brow? No, but is it good? Yes. But is Dude Where's my Car either? Hell no! Don't equate high-brow with well written. In these posts I have been expanding on my explanations with innuendos.

Second; low-brow/high-brow is defined vaguely; roughly it can be seen to be whether something just entertains or whether it makes you think as well. This was supposed to be funny, nothing more. That is completely fine, it is not an insult. You think that Monty Python is high-brow, someone being slapped in the face with a fish? It's brillaint, though.

Emperor Gum wrote:that doesn't mean it isn't good

Third, a double negative results in a positive, I though the video was awesome. I don't come here to have my beliefs challenged, I come here to be entertained. Keep up the good work! [patriotic music]
Semerus

Postby Semerus » 05 Aug 2008, 12:14

Emperor Gum wrote:The entire Literature Renaissance in my country was low brow in it's time; Marlowe, Shakespeare, Donne, ect. are filled with carnavalesque humour, i.e. cock jokes. That doesn't mean they aren't good.

On that trail of thought, there is the classic, theese are her ery C's her U's and her T's in Twelfth Night. For those wondering and an N and you have the modern equivalent ;p And even with the references to genitailia, the pay was held in high standing.
Last edited by Semerus on 05 Aug 2008, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 05 Aug 2008, 12:14

I wasn't attacking you, or your beliefs, I just wanted you to claify your meaning. Glad you enjoyed it.

-m

I am not angry at you.
-=Nate the Great=-
Or should I say, Nate the So So.
First Video: Moshpit Etiquette

Postby -=Nate the Great=- » 05 Aug 2008, 12:14

Flawless Victory.
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 05 Aug 2008, 12:17

Matt wrote:I wasn't attacking you, or your beliefs, I just wanted you to claify your meaning. Glad you enjoyed it.

I know, I need to stop arguing with you guys over trivial things. I come across as a dick sometimes (yeah, I'm out of subtleties).
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 05 Aug 2008, 12:29

I enjoyed that. I saw the title and went "huh?" and then I watched it and I liked it. The song was funny and wasn't just about trying to get the word dick in there as many times as possible. Not the normal for LRR, but then again LRR didn't write it. I still had fun with it so good job guys.
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 05 Aug 2008, 13:07

What I find most impressive about this video is that it's a lot better than many, many other music videos I've seen filmed with actual budgets!
See: almost ANY Muse video. They are the worst.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
JeremyBanks

Postby JeremyBanks » 05 Aug 2008, 13:15

I liked it. Not going to be one of my favourite LRR videos of all time, but it was good.
Elementalbulldog

epic

Postby Elementalbulldog » 05 Aug 2008, 13:19

That was amazing, i dare say had phail embedded in it even.

Those two have really good voices. The song was very funny and at the same time, that was just a really good song. I enjoyed it a ton.

I want the song file, be a great ringtone.
Ben

Postby Ben » 05 Aug 2008, 13:22

This video wins! Been waiting so long for this, I want my Pat back.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 05 Aug 2008, 13:41

One lesson we need to take away from this video is never checked the LRR Revver channel.

Another is Pat changes a lot in 3 years...

Then again, he certainly looks more alike there than compared to his appearance in the 2004 Holiday Special as "5 Gigs of RAM". Most of change seems to have occured in that one year interim.
tak197 wrote:Great, so now we have seen James' AND Morgan's bare asses in videos. If you stay on this trend though, the next instance would be in Season 8 or 9. So I guess we can let it slide.

Where did James appear butt-naked? (Or should that be naked-butt...)
Last edited by Lyinginbedmon on 05 Aug 2008, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
RoomKeyNinja

Postby RoomKeyNinja » 05 Aug 2008, 14:01

Some random thoughts. I tend to think it's important to weigh in when I care for a video so long as I actually analyze what I don't like about it, which is helpful instead of just insulting. This video might grow on me, but I think it's suffering from two marks against it in terms of winning over LLR forum members.

1) The 'huh' factor. I think this is the big one. If I'd seen this as a random link in youtube from a friend, I probably would have just kind of shrugged it off as mildly amusing. However, seeing it on the LRR site is very much like ordering a cheeseburger and being presented with a pizza. You might like both cheeseburgers and pizza, but you are going to be disorientated by the unexpectedness, which will reduce your enjoyment of the pizza somewhat. Of course, the metaphor isn't exact, since we don't 'order' anything, but it's just a comment how on how, regardless of what the video was or was not, sheer surprise can sometimes lower the enjoyment.

2) On the 'high-brow' 'low-brow' argument, I believe that material CAN rise above it's subject matter. Monty Python, Kids in the Hall, Saturday Night Live, have all done very silly skits about base functions, that are still sophisticated and clever. That being said, I don't believe this video did that. In essence, it's combining pop culture reference of skeletor, throw in a penis, and the classic frat joke of seeing another man's dick being somehow scarring psychologically. I'll admit it's WELL written, from a musical stand-point, but I don't see anything particularly clever about it. There isn't amazing turns of phrase in the lyrics, it's just musically amusing.

That being said, as always, the production professionalism continues to rise. It was executed well, and it's nice to see the team experimenting. This isn't a video intended for me, but such is life. I'll nod and get in on the next one.

Also, yes, I'd rather watch this video than half the ones that are made by multi-million dollars bands.
Is eternally grateful to Misty for this .gif
Also plotting how to destroy Bill, as all Ninjas should
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 05 Aug 2008, 14:44

RoomKeyNinja (nice reference btw), my only point of contention with what you said is that the video is not playing off the homophobia of seeing "another man's dick being somehow scarring psychologically", it is specifically Skeletor's dick that is horrifying in some intangible way. That is the joke there.
RoomKeyNinja

Postby RoomKeyNinja » 05 Aug 2008, 14:48

Graham wrote:RoomKeyNinja (nice reference btw), my only point of contention with what you said is that the video is not playing off the homophobia of seeing "another man's dick being somehow scarring psychologically", it is specifically Skeletor's dick that is horrifying in some intangible way. That is the joke there.

Fair point, that one. I stand corrected

And thank you for the compliment of the reference. It was that video that made me sign up for the forums.

Now if only I had the photoshop to get a gif of the room key ninja, I'd be set
Is eternally grateful to Misty for this .gif

Also plotting how to destroy Bill, as all Ninjas should
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 05 Aug 2008, 14:49

Given that a magic font of pure extradimensional evil waxed his face off, I could imagine why.

...Actually, no I don't...
Lissette Arevalo

Postby Lissette Arevalo » 05 Aug 2008, 14:50

You guys are awesome. period. That rocked my socks.

Pat: Can't wait to see you again buddy.

Geoff: Awesome. That is all.

Graham: You're ridiculously talented.

P.S. I miss you guys :(

I peed myself dry watching this video the first time and showed it to everyone in my department. Hearing "Skeletor's Dick" ring out at a non-profit child prevention services office is a little unsettling but well worth it.
:lol:
>)i(<
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 05 Aug 2008, 15:16

I know I will draw fire for this, but...while good, the humor of the song and video was ruined for me by the "Skeletor's dick will always rape you" line.

I just don't think it's a good idea to sling that word around in jest. Except for Canola.
CaesarMagnus

Postby CaesarMagnus » 05 Aug 2008, 15:35

OK, my only real complaint is that I had a hard time hearing the lyrics. It took me three times carefully listening to get most of it, but I still had to read the lyrics posted earlier to get most of the stuff in the "in the city" parts.

The song was well written, the music was a lot better than some big time bands, and the video was well done for the song. Knowing Morgan played Skeletor does give it extra points in creepiness.

However, I really didn't find it very laugh out loud funny. I was amused, but for me it just fell a bit limp. :P It's not that I don't mind the form of humor, but something just didn't really work.

Still, I do say you guys did a good job, and I agree with Kathleen that this video is way better than a lot of the crap on MTV. And it is a catchy tune.

Maybe I just need to let it grow on me. (Ewwwww!)
CygnusX1

Postby CygnusX1 » 05 Aug 2008, 15:38

This video was AMAZING, thats all there is to it. My favourite in quite some time. Its nice to see I haven't grown too old and I can still enjoy a good dick joke.
we sometimes catch a window, a glimpse of what's beyond
http://www.underaglassmoon.wordpress.com
PhilK36

Postby PhilK36 » 05 Aug 2008, 15:39

Lmao, awesome vid, you have some good musicians at LLR
Don't like my message?
Try my music
www.youtube.com/philk36
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 05 Aug 2008, 15:43

I think it's awesome that Pat has returned. Recently watched through the old videos and seeing Pat rock out on air guitar was sweet.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 05 Aug 2008, 16:07

HO shit, that was Pat? Awesome! Good to see him back.
Seriously epic, "watch it groooooooooowwww" is going to be stuck in my head forever now.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 05 Aug 2008, 16:42

Graham wrote:I refuse to believe that something so cleverly written (which I can say because I didn't write it) can be considered "low-brow" regardless of subject matter.
Dude, it's a penis joke.

A brillliantly-written, -played, and -performed penis joke, but a penis joke nonetheless.

I was quite amused. I might have found it funnier if I knew who 'Bag of Fries' was (besides presumably the musicians). Any explanations?
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”