A Little TOO Human

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Joystick Hero

Postby Joystick Hero » 18 Aug 2008, 11:22

Woah man, this video was amazing. Just with how smoothly everything goes into each other, you can tell that this had to be story boarded. Especially with things like the cuts between everyone's reactions at the computer, the story of the bears / Beowulf turning into a picture on the fridge, and the panning down for sitting on the couch (which was very Shaun of the Dead now that I think about it). I also liked how the video had many small story elements that at first seemed unrelated but then all came together at the end to make a coherent, if not a bit silly, story. These elements actually made me laugh at parts on the rewatch that I didn't the first time, like with the comment as to uncooked vegetables giving food poisoning and the mention of bigfoot's origins.

So yeah, awesome video. Definitely in my personal top 5.
WTFDude445

Postby WTFDude445 » 18 Aug 2008, 11:24

Well, it was funny. Just funny.
meh.
Graham wrote:RUUUEEEEE!!!!!
CaesarMagnus

Postby CaesarMagnus » 18 Aug 2008, 11:26

Matt wrote:not to toot my own horn, but my favorite part of this video is my slide out of the doorway. mouthing "I'm gonna goooo...."
-m

I agree, that worked well.

Overall, this was great. I was trying to figure out why there was a build up of something with Matt, when the focus was on Kathleen's bear phobia. Great way to tie it up at the end, made all the funnier for me because I don't like fresh tomatoes either.

LOL'ed at the "how the hell am i supposed to get food poisoning from uncooked vegetables?" line. Next we'll have to watch out for jalapenos!

Graham's facial expressions were priceless too.
Schmiddy

Postby Schmiddy » 18 Aug 2008, 11:36

I'm so glad that you responded to your poll of audience preferences with a great video this week. Perfect combo of you being yourself, with video game tie-ins, bears and time travelling.

Brilliant.
--**--Heck is where people go who dont believe in Gosh--**--
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 18 Aug 2008, 11:38

This is the shit; far and away the best produced LRR video ever. All the things happening in the backs of shots, all the tie-ins between shots such as the artwork on the fridge, the quick editing...beautiful. It was so much faster than other videos, it almost didn't feel like a LRR one.

Was the picture behind Kathleen's head in her big speech relevant to the video? It sort looked like it might be, but I couldn't work it out.
The only thing wrong with it is that the clock on Matt's head keeps changing with the different shots. As it didn't ruin the video in the slightest, I'll make this invisible.
EDIT: Also you did my favourite LRR plot device, not resolving the situation.
Last edited by Emperor Gum on 18 Aug 2008, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 18 Aug 2008, 11:40

Emperor Gum wrote:This is the shit; far and away the best produced LRR video ever. All the things happening in the backs of shots, all the tie-ins between shots such as the artwork on the fridge, the quick editing...beautiful. It was so much faster than other videos, it almost didn't feel like a LRR one.

Was the picture behind Kathleen's head in her big speech relevant to the video? It sort looked like it might be, but I couldn't work it out.
The only thing wrong with it is that the clock on Matt's head keeps changing with the different shots. As it didn't ruin the video in the slightest, I'll make this invisible.

no, it's just a star wars print that graham and I have hanging in the livingroom of our apartment.

-m

I am not angry at you.
slayer41

Postby slayer41 » 18 Aug 2008, 11:46

The Video was funny. but what was with the point where kathleen stood up and she was wearing a hat all of the sudden.

Oh and i loved the THIS IS A BAGEL FREE KITCHEN sign on the wall.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 Aug 2008, 11:49

slayer41 wrote:The Video was funny. but what was with the point where kathleen stood up and she was wearing a hat all of the sudden.

Because she starts going off on a communist rant?
Tetsubo

Postby Tetsubo » 18 Aug 2008, 11:50

But... but bears are my favorite animal...

Well executed video. Nicely edited and it just looks very smooth.

I found the references to ghettos and work camps a tad disturbing however.
--
Tetsubo
--------------------------------------
Deviant Art: http://ironstaff.deviantart.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tetsubo57
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 18 Aug 2008, 11:56

Classic LRR
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 18 Aug 2008, 12:02

Oh. My. God. O_O
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Fatsobob

Postby Fatsobob » 18 Aug 2008, 12:03

One last comment, which I am amazed nobody has even mentioned him yet.
Stephen Colbert would be proud!

Lawman
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Lawman » 18 Aug 2008, 12:19

Another great video.

It's interesting, Graham, that you said that you had a lot of fun story-boarding and directing this one: the first thing I noticed was the good use of camera angles. Even things like the establishing shot of the flat added a more cinematic feel. Also (I don't know why), Matt walking by in the foreground as Kathleen talks to You.

I can't believe this video is courtesy of Jer: As Dutch guy said, surely Kathleen-vs-Bear episodes are Kathleen's property. If one can say that there's a sort of story arc here, this video really ramps it up. What's the next bear video going to be? Do we find out that the bears are really sharks in costume?

There are a bunch of things in this video I was hoping you'd do in some shape or form, like bringing back the time helmets, and also using green-screening in a way that isn't apparent straight away (which you did for Kathleen's speech). Nicely done. You didn't over-blur the background like you have done in the past.

Also, nice to see abundant references to past videos; and nice to see another "we all play ourselves" video. While I like pretty much everything you guys do, my favourite kind of videos are this kind.

And because I'm sure you appreciate informative feedback, here're my thoughts in general:-

Things I liked:
  • Graham and Matt's silent exchange – good expressions.
  • The drawings – you go, Kathleen!
  • Matt explaining salad in terms of pizza
  • Future Graham smacking the salad-pizza into Present Graham's face/lap – just very well timed; it actually looked convincing.
  • The dovetailing of the two stories – I didn't really know where they were going, but they came together nicely.
  • Future Graham's greyed hair.
  • El Casa Del Pizza – funny because it is so wrong in terms of grammar. I liked how you got logos printed off for the pizza and the van.
Not so much:
  • Too much orange light on Graham and Kathleen at the start – sure they're looking at a screen giving off orange light, but this is the movies, where lighting can be tweaked!
  • The fridge – a very clever idea, but I don't think the lighting worked well; plus the tentative zooming out before the final pull-back.
  • The whip-pan to Graham and Kathleen sitting down – I think it looked a bit too dramatic. Looking through it in slow motion, I see it was supposed to be one fluid motion, but I think the pan down on Matt went too fast that it just ended up looking like two disjointed movements in quick succession.
Things I noticed:
  • It's been about two months since El Casa Del Pizza was first mentioned in "Sick Day", but apparently that isn't long enough for Graham to become aware of it
  • When Kathleen stands up for her speech, she magically acquires a hat. By any chance is that the all-cotton dictator hat?
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 18 Aug 2008, 12:27

I believe that el casa del pizza was first mentioned in 30 minutes or less, which would mean it's been 3 years and 4 months, but graham still isn't aware of it.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 18 Aug 2008, 12:27

not to toot my own horn, but my favorite part of this video is my slide out of the doorway. mouthing "I'm gonna goooo...."

-m

Yeah, that was definitely my favourite part as well. Overall, this was an excellent video - a mash-up not only of previous mentions of Kathleen's melissophobia, but Phailhouse references, throwbacks to Graham/Matt disputes, and references to the crew's salad diet, mentioned in the blogs and LRRcast!
Really, this should be the season finale, as it's one big fanboy appeasement... for which, I salute you!
Also kudos to the editing - I've recently watched some other sketch videos, and good editing really makes the difference between a somewhat amusing vid and a lolroflmao-esque one.
Cheers!
P.S. On another tangent, it should be noted that you can get food poisoning from raw vegetables. For example, the fairly recent E. coli outbreak on spinach. Remember to wash veggies well!
Last edited by Metcarfre on 18 Aug 2008, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Postby Nomadic » 18 Aug 2008, 12:29

What.

Allow me to point out this should be the trump card in any non-sequiter contest. Throughout the entirety of the video, I could not stop thinking..."WTF."

That said, I did get a good chuckle out of it.
Successfully lurking since 1709.
Lawman

Postby Lawman » 18 Aug 2008, 12:37

Matt wrote:I believe that el casa del pizza was first mentioned in 30 minutes or less, which would mean it's been 3 years and 4 months, but graham still isn't aware of it.

-m

Wasn't that place called Cosmos Pizza?
florn
It's Over 2000!!!

Postby florn » 18 Aug 2008, 12:38

There's that bagel time reference again
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 Aug 2008, 12:39

Lawman wrote:
Matt wrote:I believe that el casa del pizza was first mentioned in 30 minutes or less, which would mean it's been 3 years and 4 months, but graham still isn't aware of it.

Wasn't that place called Cosmos Pizza?

The actual location was a Cosmos Pizza, which at the time I didn't change in the video, because I didn't think about that stuff as much back then, but it's referred to in the video as "El Casa Del Pizza".

If it isn't, we ret-conned it as such in LoadingReadyLIVE.
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 18 Aug 2008, 12:40

Graham wrote:
slayer41 wrote:The Video was funny. but what was with the point where kathleen stood up and she was wearing a hat all of the sudden.

That was my favorite part too! I loved how she just stood up and had the hat on. Great vid guys!
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 18 Aug 2008, 12:48

Anyone who hasn't seen it yet (welcome, new members ^_^) needs to watch OMG! Bears!

I didn't see the flaming bear in the game until the second viewing. A nice effect.

Loved the pictures illustrating the story of bears & the first settlers of North America. The bear must not have heard the entire story of Beowulf tho' as Grendel met a rather unpleasant fate. And I'm referring to the original story, not the book.

I'd never heard of Too Human so I'm unfamiliar with the ghost & zombie bear epidemic. But I think the video conveyed well enough that it was the inspiration of the real-life events.

My heart lept like gazel at the return of the Time Helmet, especially to see the subtle costume touches of everyone being from the future. Kathleen's look was dramatic but she' pretty hot with her hair all slicked back like that. Did Graham put chalk in his hair again to look more gray? It was a nice touch. I have nothing against Graham & Matt but I think the only thing that could have made these characters better is if they were played by Stuart Stark & Jim Wiggins.

Kathleen's speech about her anti-bear initiative was excellent. That had to have been a green-screen effect. It was subtly deceptive how it started off in a convincing shot of the room she was in before fading to the anti-bear flag. Also, nice hat! I need one that appears when I make dramatic speeches.

The hidden camera bit & subtitled voices at the end were pretty freaky, despite all the silliness. It was certainly unexpected. I should have learned by now that Kathleen's mania about bears is not entirely in her head.

I love how, like "Bioshocked," there are so many in-references to LRR videos & tidbits about cast member's lives, and yet it's still entirely accessible to new viewers. This is exactly how I think this sort of humour should be done & it would appear that LRR has mastered it.

I too am surprised Kathleen didn't write this. Jer must have been channeling her.

Overall, wth all due respect to Bag Fries, I think this video was even more epic than "Skeletor's Dick."
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Splunge

Postby Splunge » 18 Aug 2008, 12:55

-m

Of course, if that and Sick Day are the only two previous references to ECDP, then it makes sense for Graham to be unaware of it, as he was in charcter for those two videos, whereas he's Graham in this one.
Or perhaps they've just opened a new franchise in your area?
Fun is the feedback the brain gives while successfully absorbing a pattern - Raph Koster
I'm think I might be indirectly responsible for Bagel Time!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 18 Aug 2008, 12:57

Splunge wrote:Or perhaps they've just opened a new franchise in your area?

this was my thinking.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Lawman

Postby Lawman » 18 Aug 2008, 12:58

It isn't mentioned in the video.
Graham wrote:If it isn't, we ret-conned it as such in LoadingReadyLIVE.

Ah.
Elaro
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Elaro » 18 Aug 2008, 13:09

Graham wrote:

You mean a bear-oriented stalinian rant. Because I'm pretty sure "imprisoning large furry animals (with big sharp pointy teeth) in yukonian* gulags" isn't covered in my copy of "The Communist Manifesto". Just sayin'.

*I'd have said "Siberian", but then I realised "hey, we have a perfectly good frozen wasteland right here in Canada!" I just picked Yukon because I don't think "nunavutian gulag" has the same ring to it. (And you can forget about the North-Western Territories!)

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”