Rapidfire II - 04

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 10 Nov 2008, 19:08

theashigaru wrote:I would also have to agree with Graham on the ending. While it was immediately apparent to me that the satanists were, in fact, satanists; I don't think that someone who hasn't seen Door to Door would have been as clear on what was going down without the last line. It didn't really detract from the comedy of the end either IMO.

This is where Graham and I disagreed on this one. I felt that the last line was unneccessary, because I was of the opinion that anyone should be smart enough to figure out what's going on simply by the one satanist making it obvious that he's making a play on words:

"we didn't want you to LEAVE us at the ALTAR. Ha Ha Ha"

that, coupled with the fact, that Jer shows up at a dungeoney looking church door, after dark, and meets up with two guys, dressed in red and black, one of whom is brandishing a sword, and poking Jer with it wihile talking about it being his big day, should be enough to clue anyone into what's going on, irrelevent of the previously established door to door satanists context. I feel that the last line is simply spoon-feeding the joke, and I do think it waters the ending down a bit.

As noted in one of my previous posts, Rapidfire has a history of long buildups to bad puns, and the punchline typically punctuates the end of the video. In this case that punctuation is lost, and in my opinion, much of the impct of the pun went with it.

Graham felt the video was stronger with the line, and he kept it, and I respect that - after all, it's his call to make - and I totally get why he did it. I just thought I'd add my thoughts on the matter.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 10 Nov 2008, 19:11

RAPID FIRE WAS SLOW.
WUT.

Also, door to door, watch it.
i dont know what's happening anymore
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Nov 2008, 19:32

Lavos wrote:RAPID FIRE WAS SLOW.
WUT.

Agreed, I didn't find it nearly as rapid or snappy as the previous ones. The recurring gag dragged on too much.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 10 Nov 2008, 19:45

Master Gunner wrote:
Lavos wrote:RAPID FIRE WAS SLOW.
WUT.

Agreed, I didn't find it nearly as rapid or snappy as the previous ones. The recurring gag dragged on too much.

This.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
ClownX
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Postby ClownX » 10 Nov 2008, 20:00

Originally, I thought that Shush Guy was Story Guy, but then I was set straight. We need the beard!
--
Also, I'm calling you out. When Morgan runs out in front of Jer, we can hear Graham laughing. But still, hilarious.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 10 Nov 2008, 20:19

I'd have to side with Matt on the finale; the "Seriously, we're gonna sacrifice you." as it is seems almost redundant.

At the same time, stopping earlier misses something, as Graham notes.

I think the best option would have been to rework things as someone suggested on page 2 (apologies for forgetting - I'm bad with names).

<Door opens>
G:Ah! There you are!
P:We were worried you'd leave us at the altar!
J:I couldn't miss my special day!
<Jer enters past G and exits stage left, Paul steps back behind door>
<Graham turns to stage left and draws sword> "Seriously, though - we're gonna sacrifice you."
<As Graham exits stage left, Paul closes door>

Maybe?

Oh, and clean-shaven Graham?!? I was so hoping for his stubble to lengthen and thicken into a strong, masculine beard so that he could stand up to any punishment a provoked Wraith could dish out! ;)

EDIT: It was Ratfor's idea originally; I merely embellished a little.
Naturally, my ego insists that my ammendments to Ratfor's idea improve both it, and the video. :roll:
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 10 Nov 2008, 20:39

I like leaving the last line in. My first thought was that Jer was showing up to some kind of formal DnD session, what with the plastic sword and all. So the last line set me straight.

I didn't hear anyone laughing when Morgan came out, and I'm not going to re-watch and listen for it.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
krzwis

Postby krzwis » 10 Nov 2008, 20:52

yeah, the last line for me was the kicker and gave me a few extra laughs (i guess the audience is stupid-er than expect (or at least i am)....but i think that is usually the case with shows and performances.

Btw....thank you so much Matt for finally spelling altar correctly... the first page of this thread really annoyed the crap out of me.

Good video though, very good
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 10 Nov 2008, 21:05

i'm a bit over these now. i did like the windscreen washer bit, though.
blip.tv is slightly slower for me than revver, but the quality fullscreen totally makes up for it. i'm liking this change.
achesst

Postby achesst » 10 Nov 2008, 21:33

I like the final line, Graham. If Altar had been emphasized a bit more, then maybe it could have been left out, but as is I do think it's rather needed. I also continue to love the Andrew Shepard shorts.

Although, now that the elections are over, will we get an update on how candidate Shepard fared in...whatever position he was running for? I really wanna know how he did.

Also, where were the poll updates? Just what did his pool boy Julio "tell"? Where does Mr. Shepard stand on the highly controversial issue of clubbing baby seals for fun and profit? Will he represent my interests in a new, globalized marketplace?

Also, I love the new uploader-thingie or whatever it's called. Full-screen without reduced quality is greatly appreciated.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Nov 2008, 21:42

Maybe I'm inobservant, but I hadn't actually thought those two were the guys from Door to Door until the last line. They're not quite as distinct as the Warriors or Darkness or something. So, if it wasn't for that line, I wouldn't have gotten it.

Then again, the line could've been different, or you'd showed the altar instead. I think keeping the last line out only works only if you recognize them as the Door to Door guys right away.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 10 Nov 2008, 22:06

I thought the last line, "Seriously, though, we're going to sacrifice you", was very much unnecessary.

That's WHY it worked. That's WHY it made me laugh so damn hard. Because it's totally unnecessary.

So, by being completely redundant and unnecessary, the line became necessary for the humor. Paradoxical, nu?
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 10 Nov 2008, 22:57

I agree fully with Graham, and prefer the last line as it is. The fact that he says it so nonchalantly is humor on its own, and in my opinion justifies any stretching the scene had to go through for it.

Also clarifies quite explicitly that Jer's character didn't want to be late for his own death.

I'm trying to fit in a joke involving "virgin sacrifice," but it's just not working...
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 10 Nov 2008, 23:07

Closet Morgan was funny XD

AeroCmdr wrote:Morgan suggesting everyone should give themselves a dutch oven made me laugh quite a bit. Great video!

QFT

The moment I saw Paul and Graham in black suits with red shirts I knew what was happening, but the lines made it even funnier.
Andy

Postby Andy » 10 Nov 2008, 23:14

Great job, guys!

Being a theatre-geek, I am compulsively obligated to say that although the story of RENT takes place in the late 1980's, the show opened off Broadway in 1996 with a workshop 2 years earlier in 1994.

It's a pretty dickish thing to point out a minor inaccuracy like this, so I have sacked myself accordingly.
Time flies like an arrow;
Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 10 Nov 2008, 23:23

Andy wrote:It's a pretty dickish thing to point out a minor inaccuracy like this, so I have sacked myself accordingly.

The people who were responsible for sacking Andy, wish to let you know that they themselves have been sacked.
Johnny_Lunchbox

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 11 Nov 2008, 05:54

Unclever title wrote:I thought Morgan already came out of the closet, why is he back inside?

Okay now that that joke is out there time to watch the video.

I told you he was a lousy homosexual.

I've gotta give some major props to James for almost hitting the sportscar with his hat, though--it was pretty impressive when it arced while Jer turned the corner.

And also major props to the whole crew for pretty much everything else, ever.
"Yeah, I had it pretty hard growing up. I guess that's why I turned to accounting." - SB&M
howdthathapn

Postby howdthathapn » 11 Nov 2008, 10:19

ok, I definitely didn't think it was the best rapid fire so far.. But the tie in at the end with the satanists was PRICELESS.
Did not see that coming at all.

The t-shirt add was great!
While I was watching it last night with my boyfriend, he said afterwards:
"I was going to say 'How'd they convince Morgan to get in the closet?' But then I realized it was probably his idea... the real question now is 'How the hell did he even fit in there??'"

awesome.
A truly witty signature once lived in the depths of this text box until one day he was offered a cigarette... the combine harvesters took his life and now reign over all text boxes. Until one brave signature overthrows the combine harvester overlord.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 11 Nov 2008, 14:35

I agree that this one didn't feel so.... rapid. The first scene was too long. Maybe if Jer had tried some creative ways of escaping or something.

I still like the Shepard clips, and the shhh guy surprised me this time. The angry teacher clip could have been shorter too, or maybe a little more dynamic (change the camera angle or move the camera... pan the students expressions as Paul is talking...) The seatbelt scene was good, but the scene with Morgan the squegee boy was also a little long. Maybe you could have done more of Morgan getting in the way, but then shown the footage sped up?

Enjoyed this one, as always, but not the best episode in the series.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 11 Nov 2008, 15:00

Shhh guy at the library. :D My life is complete now. :wink:
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
krzwis

Postby krzwis » 11 Nov 2008, 17:45

what i found very interesting was just how stupid the students really were (i thought the angry teacher was just extremely pessimistic...guess not)
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 11 Nov 2008, 17:49

krzwis wrote:what i found very interesting was just how stupid the students really were (i thought the angry teacher was just extremely pessimistic...guess not)

Well you can be pessimistic and right at the same time :wink:
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 11 Nov 2008, 18:05

krzwis wrote:what i found very interesting was just how stupid the students really were (i thought the angry teacher was just extremely pessimistic...guess not)

I think I resent that!

I may be misdefining "resent", though. It has to do with cheeseburgers, right?
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Shandi
First Video: The Secret Life of Toast

Planitarium?

Postby Shandi » 11 Nov 2008, 18:08

They aren't very bright, but I wouldn't put it past a lot of people I knew in school to end up on a field trip without knowing its curricular significance. Then they might spout off something about historical peoples.
This is why I'm LOL!
-Shandi
iwashere33
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby iwashere33 » 12 Nov 2008, 07:23

the ad - morgan in closet is so funny, matt's 'personality' during it i like better (was he trying to do relaxed english guy perhaps?)

the al gore line - quite funny

the alter line at the end - i think it needed the second last line, i thought i was like a wedding for ages and then 'but we are gonna sacrifice you' was like all SNAP!

over all another video from LRR that is the reason for getting out of bed today. just brilliant it is.

DID anyone else try and download it for multiple watchings? i tried but all i got was some *.mv4 file (where * is the name of video and . is a full stop)

and al gore didn't invent seat bealts, he invented the inverted commas around light bulbs.......
Ian McKellen, now!

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”