Rapidfire II - 05

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Flewellyn

Postby Flewellyn » 24 Nov 2008, 21:25

My only question is...who would WANT to get rid of a nest of "spice"?
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 24 Nov 2008, 21:28

Morgan wrote:when we realized that there were five girls in the house and they were spice there was a flurry of spice girls jokes followed by acknowledgement that no spice girl joke ought to be made.

(watches the video again)

Who was the fifth spice leaving the house? Why wasn't she in the rest of the video?

Also, good call on not making the Spice Girls joke. That'd be like making an Austin Powers joke or something. The only thing good the Spice Girls brought us was naked pictures of Geri Halliwell.

Flewellyn wrote:who would WANT to get rid of a nest of "spice"?

Remember, according to LRRWiki, Morgan vows never to get married, much less five times.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Corax
Hangleyman

Postby Corax » 24 Nov 2008, 22:30

solid video, but i thought the fumes coming out of the house at the end looked odd.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 24 Nov 2008, 22:45

Corax wrote:solid video, but i thought the fumes coming out of the house at the end looked odd.

I believe there's a semi-interesting story about that. It's not real smoke, AFAIK.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 24 Nov 2008, 22:51

After some thinking, about the only Rapidfire sketch in this bunch I didn't care for was the Explanation bit. Graham may be getting a bit more exasperated but it's really just the same joke done over & over from first season, only with different bric-a-brac within reach.

The rest are still solid.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
MrNerdHair

Postby MrNerdHair » 24 Nov 2008, 22:57

Master Gunner wrote:The spice punchline was a bit lost on me, because that's what I immediately thought of at the beginning, so it the "punchline" didn't "hit" as "hard".

Actually, that's why I nearly had an aneurysm because of this joke. I heard the word spice, and thought Dune... naw, it can't be Dune, there's nothing addictive or prescient about it. So my next thought was Star Wars... naw, it's not contraband. So after about three segments, I'd decided that it really was just a play on the word mice.

My guard was down.

I paid dearly.
ArmsAkimbo

Postby ArmsAkimbo » 24 Nov 2008, 23:12

Hmm. For some reason I am entirely unable to see this video, or any of your videos for that matter. In quicktime or flash, in internet explorer or firefox, nothing. There's been somewhat of an internet overhaul on this end as well though, so I'll see if it persists or not.
PaidTheUmpire

Postby PaidTheUmpire » 24 Nov 2008, 23:52

ArmsAkimbo wrote:Hmm. For some reason I am entirely unable to see this video, or any of your videos for that matter. In quicktime or flash, in internet explorer or firefox, nothing. There's been somewhat of an internet overhaul on this end as well though, so I'll see if it persists or not.

I had the same, but seems to be fine now.
achesst

Postby achesst » 25 Nov 2008, 00:10

Tim wrote:Graham's mother is British. I think he actually understands cricket.

"Cricket? Nobody understands cricket! You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket!" Bonus points for knowing where this comes from, no cheating.

That was awesome rapidfire! But I still wanna know what happened to candidate Shepard in whatever race he was running. Did he win? Was he elected supreme overlord of Earth or something?
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 25 Nov 2008, 00:19

achesst wrote:"Cricket? Nobody understands cricket! You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket!" Bonus points for knowing where this comes from, no cheating.

Raphael. When he fights Casey Jones. In Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I wore the video cassette out I watched that movie so many times.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 25 Nov 2008, 00:52

metcarfre wrote:
Jillers wrote:
metcarfre wrote:ALSO, I must be the only person here who hears 'spice' and thinks 'Star Wars' instead of 'Dune' (never read it).

I may be in the minority here but Spice + Star Wars? I definitely don't get how Spice = Star Wars... (I should dig up that Star Wars RPG my friend made... I'll bet there's something about spice in there).

HELLOOOOOOOOO!?! The Spice Mines of Kessel?!?

Dude, I had to wookiepedia that to find out it was mentioned in A New Hope. Unfortunately my knowledge of Star Wars is fairly limited to the major plot points of the original trilogy and The Knights of the Old Republic games. I apologize for being so ignorant.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 25 Nov 2008, 03:37

I kept swinging between Dune and Spore, of all things, as the reference untill I actually read this forum :/

What? You need spice in Spore to do ANYTHING. Enough spice you can take over, well, the galaxy, but still. It's a very large area. Shaddap.

Oh, also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj7J7vXCf5w

Mr.B The Gentleman Rhymer. Well worth a listen :D
Whatchamabiscut

Postby Whatchamabiscut » 25 Nov 2008, 04:49

The video appears to not be working.
QQQ

Postby QQQ » 25 Nov 2008, 06:03

PaidTheUmpire wrote:
ArmsAkimbo wrote:Hmm. For some reason I am entirely unable to see this video, or any of your videos for that matter. In quicktime or flash, in internet explorer or firefox, nothing. There's been somewhat of an internet overhaul on this end as well though, so I'll see if it persists or not.

I had the same, but seems to be fine now.

Same, it works now, though.
Jermo

Postby Jermo » 25 Nov 2008, 06:10

LoL at Dune references, and "FRIDGED!!" rabbits.
"Less talk more Phat loots"
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 25 Nov 2008, 08:45

Evil Jim wrote:After some thinking, about the only Rapidfire sketch in this bunch I didn't care for was the Explanation bit. Graham may be getting a bit more exasperated but it's really just the same joke done over & over from first season, only with different bric-a-brac within reach.

The rest are still solid.

Actually, I found the explanation sketch to be the best yet. It was subtly, yet importantly different from the others. I feel as though there has been a progression.
In the first few sketches, random objects are used to represent random things (like in the internet one) or, worse, concepts, such as in the evolution one. Then in the 300 one, cans of Coke physically represented the Spartans at Thermopylae.
In this latest one, Graham was so close. The position were all represented by action figures - if they could move, they could actually play the game. It was all going so well.

And then Obi-wan comes and ruins it all. Because he represents a rule, rather than a person. Graham goes back to his old ways.
Sorry for explaning the funny out of that. Odds are, they weren't even making that connection when they wrote it.
Also, the attempt to make the fieldsmen all Imperial as a solution was a brilliant second joke. Best explanation sketch ever!
DmitriW
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DmitriW » 25 Nov 2008, 08:55

metcarfre wrote:...Odds are, they weren't even making that connection when they wrote it.
Also, the attempt to make the fieldsmen all Imperial as a solution was a brilliant second joke. Best explanation sketch ever!

Graham did say, at some point, that our old favorites (Explanations, R&R) would be taking interesting turns this season.
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 25 Nov 2008, 08:57

metcarfre wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:After some thinking, about the only Rapidfire sketch in this bunch I didn't care for was the Explanation bit. Graham may be getting a bit more exasperated but it's really just the same joke done over & over from first season, only with different bric-a-brac within reach.

Actually, I found the explanation sketch to be the best yet. It was subtly, yet importantly different from the others. I feel as though there has been a progression.

Glad you think so.

I know I talked about Paul's Hawaiian shirt, but I realize now that my favourite joke in this video is actually:

Jeff: "--and behind each batsman is a wicket."
Johnny: "The Ewok?"
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 25 Nov 2008, 10:27

Can anyone who is/was reporting issues with the video please email me the following info:

System (Mac/Win)
Browser
IP
Flash Version
Nature of the error

Blip brought a new data centre online, and they need to know why this is happening.
Thanks!
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 25 Nov 2008, 12:28

The video has never not loaded for me, but it has repeatedly taken ages to load...
johnny

Explanations

Postby johnny » 25 Nov 2008, 13:24

Almost exactly a year since we filmed this Graham, I'd forgotten how great your delivery of this Explanation skit was. The complexity of the rules and still being able to deliver the lines for comedy, very impressive.

This may have been mentioned before but Graham didn't "write" these in the traditional way. He just makes them up on the spot. I'm sure Paul and I gave some suggestions but this stuff just seems to come naturally to Graham.

Johnny: "Hammerhead?"
Jeff: "Momaw Nadow"

brilliant
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 25 Nov 2008, 14:41

Matt wrote:We are retarded, and scripted that scene badly. Rodriguez was not intended to be the one under the fridge.

-m

edit: the people responsible for this scene have been sacked.

Am i the only person that never got the impression that he was?
DmitriW
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DmitriW » 25 Nov 2008, 14:45

Tank_girl wrote:
Matt wrote:We are retarded, and scripted that scene badly. Rodriguez was not intended to be the one under the fridge.

-m

edit: the people responsible for this scene have been sacked.

Am i the only person that never got the impression that he was?

Nope. I didn't think that until I read the forums.
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 25 Nov 2008, 14:59

It just hit me: I knew there was something familiar sounding in Graham's delivery of the Leg before Wicket rule. He starts it out with a rhythm like Danny Kaye in The Court Jester, during the whole "The Pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pessel" part... which makes it funnier to me.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
MostlyImprov
First Video: How to Talk Like A Pirate

Postby MostlyImprov » 25 Nov 2008, 15:02

I've been reading Dune recently. Coincidence?!? Well, probably.

Even so, one of my favorite Rapidfires and a great (presumed) end to the "Fridged" series.
-Seamus

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”