Fun With Microwaves 2

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 25 Feb 2009, 17:44

That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. I was trying to figure out if typical Squeaker-speak counted as monotone.
AwesomeAndrew

Postby AwesomeAndrew » 25 Feb 2009, 18:40

Is it wrong that I think the marshmallow rope looked tastier post-microwaving?
This signature is mediocre.
The R

Postby The R » 25 Feb 2009, 19:59

AwesomeAndrew wrote:Is it wrong that I think the marshmallow rope looked tastier post-microwaving?

You know what? we didn't taste that one... but I had my reasons for not eating anything that came out of that beast. I cannot describe the chemical/sweet/nausiating smell of that microwave after even microwaves 1.

I hope this easter I can find the same type of $1.49 discounted marshmallow rope twist.... but then again, it could have been one of those unique things, when I bought it from the easter clearance at a london drugs it didn't even have a price tag and they couldn't get a price check so they named a price.

Also, for those who mentioned game consoles, I don't know if that would go down very well... we'd probably get lots of nasty hate mail for that.
orn310
First Video: Daylight Savings

Postby orn310 » 25 Feb 2009, 20:21

I've got five suggestions for you guys!
One, Those Blasted Alarm Clocks, You know the one you loath your self for setting each night
Two, Neodymium magnets, as in rare earth magnets. They Should do awesome things when microwaved!
Three, RAM, not something current though, something old like SDRAM (which I have some laying around), RAM Bus, ect.
Four: Batteries, I want to see you guys microwave batteries!
Five: A CPU... I know, it's a wee bit weird, but honestly, DO IT! in fact, have the CPU Pins Up... in fact, there is one more suggestion that I have for you to do, not in a microwave:
Plug in a standard desktop computer, without the case,let it boot up, and run a Processor stress test. About half way thru, remove the processor cooler...
and watch what happens!
have fun :twisted: !
orn310
LS

Postby LS » 25 Feb 2009, 21:02

I actually have to admit that I didn't like this one very much. It was by no means bad, and it was certainly interesting and humorous. But, despite the new things that were microwaved, it really felt like a rehash. Then again, the first one is far from my favorite video, so it's clearly just a taste thing.

Matt's quip about 'not at all because of the (large number) of page views' did make me chuckle a bit.
Fancy Morgan: the Matt lover.
kramerr

Microwaving magnets.

Postby kramerr » 26 Feb 2009, 06:48

Magnets in a microwave oven won't put on any kind of show. Magnets attract microwaves, this may sound cool but it just means they will suck up the radiation and get very hot very fast instead of discharging the energy as a pretty light show. Magnets become demagnetized when they are heated so you'll end up turning a magnet into a very hot regular piece of metal.

It should be possible to focus the microwaves in the oven with a magnet to produce a super hot spot, then use that hot spot to super microwave something else.
I'm the best
Exachix
First Video: The Shavening

Postby Exachix » 26 Feb 2009, 07:33

As I said before; Photons don't have an electric charge, and aren't influenced by magnetic fields - only gravitation fields (producing lensing effects about stars/galaxies etc etc).

As such, the magnet wouldn't attract the microwaves, but it may still heat up if there is water in the magnet. Which shouldn't happen.

That said, magnets are still metallic, so you may get arcing.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 26 Feb 2009, 14:15

AwesomeAndrew wrote:Is it wrong that I think the marshmallow rope looked tastier post-microwaving?
When I was a kid, I covered Ritz crackers with peanut butter and stuck marshmallows on them. Then, I microwaved and ate them.
They were awesome.
The R wrote:Also, for those who mentioned game consoles, I don't know if that would go down very well... we'd probably get lots of nasty hate mail for that.
Good call. There would probably be some serious faneurysms. Not from me, though.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Re: Microwaving magnets.

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 26 Feb 2009, 15:41

kramerr wrote:It should be possible to focus the microwaves in the oven with a magnet to produce a super hot spot, then use that hot spot to super microwave something else.
Like Hershey's Kisses
hidn_shadows

nooooooo!

Postby hidn_shadows » 26 Feb 2009, 15:43

you should have sent those microwaves to me, I have some really awesome stuph to put in them! wait, iph I can phind some cheap 'waves, and put homorous stuph in them, would you put it on the site? also, make these longer, the people want moar!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 26 Feb 2009, 15:48

Rare earth magnets have very low Curie temperatures. If you heat a ferromagnet past its Curie temperature it loses its magnetic field. Beyond destroying the magnetic field of the the magnet heating a rare earth magnet may cause it to explode.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Re: nooooooo!

Postby Nevrmore » 26 Feb 2009, 16:36

hidn_shadows wrote:you should have sent those microwaves to me, I have some really awesome stuph to put in them! wait, iph I can phind some cheap 'waves, and put homorous stuph in them, would you put it on the site? also, make these longer, the people want moar!

Please God tell me you're not planning on keeping up the "ph" substitution thing.
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 26 Feb 2009, 18:35

Lord Chrusher wrote:Rare earth magnets have very low Curie temperatures. If you heat a ferromagnet past its Curie temperature it loses its magnetic field. Beyond destroying the magnetic field of the the magnet heating a rare earth magnet may cause it to explode.

That's all I need to know, fire 'em up!
hidn_shadows

Re: nooooooo!

Postby hidn_shadows » 26 Feb 2009, 21:06

Nevrmore wrote:
hidn_shadows wrote:you should have sent those microwaves to me, I have some really awesome stuph to put in them! wait, iph I can phind some cheap 'waves, and put homorous stuph in them, would you put it on the site? also, make these longer, the people want moar!

Please God tell me you're not planning on keeping up the "ph" substitution thing.

yeaaah, no. even though i'm a loading ready retard, i'm never going to do that again. rest assured!
Switch_Blaze

Postby Switch_Blaze » 26 Feb 2009, 21:21

Fun times, gotta go watch a whole lot more. Heard the Penn & Teller hijinks, sounds like a good time (for us voyeurs, lol). Thanks for entertaining, entertainers!
Lady_Noire

Postby Lady_Noire » 28 Feb 2009, 00:17

LS wrote:I actually have to admit that I didn't like this one very much. It was by no means bad, and it was certainly interesting and humorous. But, despite the new things that were microwaved, it really felt like a rehash. Then again, the first one is far from my favorite video, so it's clearly just a taste thing.

I wasn't too fond of it either, although it was interesting, especially the grapes. But I've spent this whole week without a proper LRR fix, and my life feels so empty because of it.

I'm not against a return of the 'Fun with Microwaves' but please, please do it as a bonus, not a Monday update.
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 28 Feb 2009, 09:02

Not to worry, next week's video is another CHustle. Fifteen minutes of LRR goodness.
HomerTheBrave

Postby HomerTheBrave » 28 Feb 2009, 19:54

I think Junk In Microwave needs to be combined with Man Cooking and Iron Stomach Challenge.

Cook it.

Reheat it.

Eat it.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 28 Feb 2009, 19:55

HomerTheBrave wrote:I think Junk In Microwave...
I think we have our next Man Cooking AND Iron Stomach
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
kramerr

Magnets in microwave

Postby kramerr » 28 Feb 2009, 20:39

Lord Chrusher can you explain how heating a neodymium magnet will cause it to both lose its magnetic field and explode? I understand how a low curie point will cause it to lose its field at a low temperature, but how does this result in an explosion?

When a magnet is cracked in two the poles of the molecules don't change direction, so the two magnets pull together instead of repelling, so wouldn't it be even harder to magnet a magnet explode than a basic piece of metal?
I'm the best
Yukikaze

Postby Yukikaze » 28 Feb 2009, 21:26

Heating magnets in general causes them to lose their magnetism. Ferromagnetic materials are so because the atoms are inherently magnetic. Immersion in a strong magnetic field causes a majority of these atoms to become magnetically aligned with the inducing field, which is what causes something to be magnetic.

Heating a magnet causes the atoms and molecules to vibrate, which is what heat is. Too much vibration will cause them to pop out of alignment, weakening and eventually destroying the magnetic field.

Similarly, striking a magnet causes the field to weaken.

I don't know about explosions.
ExplodingSims

Postby ExplodingSims » 06 Mar 2009, 20:15

I wonder what would happen if you microwaved a microwave oven...
Nonetheless great video.
He who would sacrifice a little liberty for a little security deserves neither.
Currently Failing my way through college.
Terin

Postby Terin » 12 Mar 2009, 16:16

They talked about that on the podcast, and they couldn't find the right mix of a small enough microwave and a large enough microwave to put inside one another.
ExplodingSims

Postby ExplodingSims » 13 Mar 2009, 18:54

Then they weren't trying hard enough!!!

Okay, in all fairness, small microwaves are easy to find, but a larger one might be hard to find. At least, one big enough to fit the small one.
He who would sacrifice a little liberty for a little security deserves neither.
Currently Failing my way through college.
Megas3300

Postby Megas3300 » 15 Mar 2009, 13:23

How about an old hard drive with and without the cover, I've got a couple here that are expendable.

All the metal and magnetism should be an interesting combo.
If you know what CE OS stands for please let me know!

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”