Omni-Lingual

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
krzwis
Posts: 23
Joined: 14 Apr 2008, 18:02

Postby krzwis » 31 Mar 2009, 23:27

very good job guys. I'd say this is probably one of the best videos I've seen in a while from you guys
Smidge
Posts: 1570
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 06:47
Location: Amsterdamned

Postby Smidge » 01 Apr 2009, 07:37

Hi all my first post here. /wave

Found LRR six months ago, and finally I have a reason to sign up for the forums.

My question is, what method did you use to pick your languages for this video? For example, just totally random or based on forum members?

Greetz

Smidge
Canonfoder
Posts: 49
Joined: 24 Nov 2008, 11:03

Postby Canonfoder » 01 Apr 2009, 08:30

I feel this is being nit picky like my earlier mention of the glasses but in his bad Sean Connery accent Graham only tells Morgan what information is needed but not what language it is needed to be asked in.

I do want ot add a positive comment that the more I see Jer mime things to Paul the funnier it gets because I see the chef from the hat but not the Swedish part. still an amusing way to get it across.
Image
User avatar
Matt
LRR Crew
Posts: 9742
Joined: 14 Mar 2004, 00:19
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Postby Matt » 01 Apr 2009, 08:37

Canonfoder wrote:I feel this is being nit picky like my earlier mention of the glasses but in his bad Sean Connery accent Graham only tells Morgan what information is needed but not what language it is needed to be asked in.

I do want ot add a positive comment that the more I see Jer mime things to Paul the funnier it gets because I see the chef from the hat but not the Swedish part. still an amusing way to get it across.


as far as the video is concerned, it's entirely possible morgan only knows sketchy-sean-connry-impression and interpretive dance, so explaining the language he's translating to would be unneccessary.

-m
Image

I am not angry at you.
Crazyman UXB
Posts: 1
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 09:15
Location: NJ, USA
Contact:

Postby Crazyman UXB » 01 Apr 2009, 09:20

What? No Esperanto? Or is that to obscure?
User avatar
Graham
Super Moderator
Posts: 15038
Joined: 09 Mar 2004, 19:37
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Postby Graham » 01 Apr 2009, 12:44

Smidge wrote:My question is, what method did you use to pick your languages for this video? For example, just totally random or based on forum members?

Hi Smidge, welcome to the forums!

Totally at random.
Dutch, German and Spanish are all fairly common languages in the grand scheme of things. And then I went weird with it.
User avatar
Lecter
Posts: 15
Joined: 01 May 2008, 11:33
Location: Germany
Contact:

Postby Lecter » 01 Apr 2009, 13:55

I don't speak Spanish myself, so I wanted to ask whether the sentences in Spanish are correct or just sound that way.
User avatar
Graham
Super Moderator
Posts: 15038
Joined: 09 Mar 2004, 19:37
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Postby Graham » 01 Apr 2009, 14:07

Lecter wrote:I don't speak Spanish myself, so I wanted to ask whether the sentences in Spanish are correct or just sound that way.

As correct as I could make it.

Code: Select all

¿cual es se direccion atual?

<<What is your current address?>>
User avatar
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
Posts: 4376
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 07:41
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!
Location: Cambridge, Massachu~
Contact:

Postby AlexanderDitto » 01 Apr 2009, 18:54

Graham wrote:
Lecter wrote:I don't speak Spanish myself, so I wanted to ask whether the sentences in Spanish are correct or just sound that way.

As correct as I could make it.

Code: Select all

¿cual es se direccion atual?

<<What is your current address?>>


Definitely not a criticism of your Spanish speaking skills, Graham, but he asked, so I'll give a brief summary.

It's close... but a little off. It should hould be

Code: Select all

¿Cuál es su dirección actual?


"su" being the formal possessive equivalent to "your." Se is the formal pronoun "you" (as well as he or she), as in "se habla español," that is, "[Formal]You/He/She speaks spanish". It can also be used as a reflexive pronoun, but that's a little weirder.

Admittedly, I've never heard someone call it their "direccion actual," it's usually just "direccion," actual is usually not said. It's the difference between "What is your living address?" and "What is your address?"

Though I applaud Graham for correctly using the more formal "Ud." form when speaking.

The second sentence,

Code: Select all

¿Codigo postal?


is fine. The third sentence, as best as I can make it, is

[code]¿[SOMETHING] Es serio?[code]

Which means "Is he serious?" This gets tricky; I'd say the line should be "¿Esta serio?" which would also be translated as "Is he serious?" The difference is kind of hard to describe... the first describes a property of something, as though Graham were asking, "is Matt a serious person?" The second is more of a state of being, like "is Matt acting serious?" The difference between the two verbs, "ser" and "estar", both meaning "to be," is kind of difficult.

The best way I've heard it described is using the cell phone analogy: anything that would be among the first things you'd ask when picking up a cell phone and chatting with a friend use "estar." For example:

"How are you?" (¿Como esta?)
"Where are you?" (¿Donde esta?)
"What are you doing?" (¿Que esta haciendo?)

Otherwise, you'd use "ser."

ANYWAY. I'm going to shut up now. You see the pandora's box you've opened? Don't get me started on languages! :lol:

Have I mentioned how much I like this video? <3
User avatar
Graham
Super Moderator
Posts: 15038
Joined: 09 Mar 2004, 19:37
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Postby Graham » 01 Apr 2009, 18:59

That's what I meant, I just forgot the accents.

The third line is

Code: Select all

¿vocé é serio?


Which should be "Are you serious?"
User avatar
ptitqui
Posts: 242
Joined: 27 Sep 2008, 13:00
Location: Delta BC
Contact:

Postby ptitqui » 01 Apr 2009, 19:31

I speak English, French and can write in Sendarin (or could at least, I'm probably very rusty)

So I really had to take your word on it for the other languages.

Except interpretive dance, as it's universal.
User avatar
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager
Posts: 1809
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 20:24
Location: A psychotic nightmare and loving it.

Postby Nevrmore » 01 Apr 2009, 22:06

AlexanderDitto wrote:Which means "Is he serious?" This gets tricky; I'd say the line should be "¿Esta serio?" which would also be translated as "Is he serious?" The difference is kind of hard to describe... the first describes a property of something, as though Graham were asking, "is Matt a serious person?" The second is more of a state of being, like "is Matt acting serious?" The difference between the two verbs, "ser" and "estar", both meaning "to be," is kind of difficult.

The best way I've heard it described is using the cell phone analogy: anything that would be among the first things you'd ask when picking up a cell phone and chatting with a friend use "estar." For example:

"How are you?" (¿Como esta?)
"Where are you?" (¿Donde esta?)
"What are you doing?" (¿Que esta haciendo?)

Otherwise, you'd use "ser."

I would explain it as "ser" describing a perpetual state of being that cannot be changed. Like if you were saying someone is tall, because they can't just make themselves short on a whim. Whereas "estar" was used for more ephemeral things like emotions.

Of course you seem to know a lot more about the language than I do, so whatever.
User avatar
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
Posts: 4376
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 07:41
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!
Location: Cambridge, Massachu~
Contact:

Postby AlexanderDitto » 02 Apr 2009, 03:44

Nevrmore wrote:
AlexanderDitto wrote:Which means "Is he serious?" This gets tricky; I'd say the line should be "¿Esta serio?" which would also be translated as "Is he serious?" The difference is kind of hard to describe... the first describes a property of something, as though Graham were asking, "is Matt a serious person?" The second is more of a state of being, like "is Matt acting serious?" The difference between the two verbs, "ser" and "estar", both meaning "to be," is kind of difficult.

The best way I've heard it described is using the cell phone analogy: anything that would be among the first things you'd ask when picking up a cell phone and chatting with a friend use "estar." For example:

"How are you?" (¿Como esta?)
"Where are you?" (¿Donde esta?)
"What are you doing?" (¿Que esta haciendo?)

Otherwise, you'd use "ser."

I would explain it as "ser" describing a perpetual state of being that cannot be changed. Like if you were saying someone is tall, because they can't just make themselves short on a whim. Whereas "estar" was used for more ephemeral things like emotions.

Of course you seem to know a lot more about the language than I do, so whatever.


No no, that's a great way of explaining it. I guess that's the point of the "cell phone" idea; things you ask people on the phone are inherently ephemeral?

As for "vocé é"...I've never heard that phrase before... it sounds more like Portuguese or French to me.

I wish I could speak interpretive dance as fluently as Morgan. *Sigh* He's so talented.
User avatar
JesterJ.
Posts: 6893
Joined: 12 Nov 2005, 23:00
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Postby JesterJ. » 02 Apr 2009, 10:31

Wow. Matt's....Postal code? Was one number off of my street address. Nifty.
I thought all of it seemed a bit more stretched than usual; I don't know what it was, but Graham's and Matt's acting just seemed sort of off and less believable than normal.

That said, Morgan's hair was fabulous, and the synchronized flip-off was pretty great.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
User avatar
danpete6
Posts: 228
Joined: 02 Jul 2008, 14:53
First Video: Installation Anxiety
Location: Minneapolis

Postby danpete6 » 02 Apr 2009, 11:51

01101001 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100011 01101000 01100101 01100101 01111010 01100010 01110101 01110010 01100111 01100101 01110010 00111111

ben, translate this.
fbuh wrote:both mario 64 and portal taught me that cake is bad for you
User avatar
Tim
proudfoot
Posts: 4213
Joined: 22 Nov 2007, 19:10
First Video: Something funny.
Location: Victoria
Contact:

Postby Tim » 02 Apr 2009, 12:55

danpete6 wrote:01101001 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100011 01101000 01100101 01100101 01111010 01100010 01110101 01110010 01100111 01100101 01110010 00111111

ben, translate this.

lawl
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
User avatar
ptitqui
Posts: 242
Joined: 27 Sep 2008, 13:00
Location: Delta BC
Contact:

Postby ptitqui » 02 Apr 2009, 18:21

danpete6 wrote:01101001 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100011 01101000 01100101 01100101 01111010 01100010 01110101 01110010 01100111 01100101 01110010 00111111

ben, translate this.


Translates to : i can has cheezburger?
User avatar
billymuyo
Posts: 1
Joined: 02 Apr 2009, 18:41
Location: Houston, Texas
Contact:

I love Lucy?

Postby billymuyo » 02 Apr 2009, 18:49

Not to be picky ... but didn't "I love Lucy" do this already?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OACIfwkg7ns
(but frankly, I like yours better!)
Terin
Posts: 34
Joined: 08 Feb 2009, 20:09

Postby Terin » 02 Apr 2009, 19:07

A question for the LRR crew - I remember when you starting using YouTube for the X ways to Y video, the view counts on the YouTube page were significantly lower than the actual views, according to this site. Graham (or someone else) said that they probably didn't allow views to be added through embedded videos due to view fraud or something else.

However, the X ways to Y now has views that almost match that of the ones on this site, and this video has matching views with the YouTube page. What happened so that the views get counted on YouTube, and why didn't it happen before?
User avatar
Septavius
Posts: 241
Joined: 16 Mar 2009, 13:27
Location: The friends to the south of our friends to the north

Postby Septavius » 02 Apr 2009, 19:10

Views aren't counted for embedded video that's set to autoplay (so like someone embedding some video on their homepage to get free views any time someone visits). They turned autoplay off so that the views off of LRR get counted as well as the views it gets on youtube.
User avatar
Graham
Super Moderator
Posts: 15038
Joined: 09 Mar 2004, 19:37
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: I love Lucy?

Postby Graham » 02 Apr 2009, 21:12

billymuyo wrote:Not to be picky ... but didn't "I love Lucy" do this already?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OACIfwkg7ns
(but frankly, I like yours better!)

I have never ever seen I Love Lucy, so I claim innocence.
User avatar
Joshua
Posts: 1091
Joined: 09 Feb 2009, 19:06
First Video: Dont remember
Location: TN, USA

Re: I love Lucy?

Postby Joshua » 02 Apr 2009, 21:26

Graham wrote:
billymuyo wrote:Not to be picky ... but didn't "I love Lucy" do this already?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OACIfwkg7ns
(but frankly, I like yours better!)

I have never ever seen I Love Lucy, so I claim innocence.


Then you sir are lost.
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
User avatar
Matt
LRR Crew
Posts: 9742
Joined: 14 Mar 2004, 00:19
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Postby Matt » 02 Apr 2009, 21:48

I am of the opinion that while the concepts are similar, the execution and set up are sufficiently different to aviod being called "the same" sketch.

-m
Image

I am not angry at you.
User avatar
Graham
Super Moderator
Posts: 15038
Joined: 09 Mar 2004, 19:37
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Postby Graham » 02 Apr 2009, 22:01

Especially consider (probably my favourite part of the whole thing) that Matt's character (in the script referred to as "MAN", btw) is not the sketch comedy straight man trying to deal with all these crazy characters, but rather that he is the instigator, and the rest of the characters are actually just trying to do their jobs as best they can.

The nice part about that is, (unlike the Monty Python police station sketch) with all those people speaking various languages, the business itself could actually totally function, without problem. Someone comes in and needs German? They've got a guy for that. It only breaks down when some asshole abuses it.
User avatar
Jillers
Posts: 3006
Joined: 14 Oct 2008, 19:26
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate
Location: Somewhere on top of garbage
Contact:

Re: I love Lucy?

Postby Jillers » 02 Apr 2009, 22:21

Graham wrote:
billymuyo wrote:Not to be picky ... but didn't "I love Lucy" do this already?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OACIfwkg7ns
(but frankly, I like yours better!)

I have never ever seen I Love Lucy, so I claim innocence.


I didn't know that was possible...

Anyway, I really liked this one.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]


~End Transmission~

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest