Omni-Lingual

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
MrDys

Postby MrDys » 30 Mar 2009, 11:42

Awe. Some.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 30 Mar 2009, 11:42

Well I'll be a bit critical on the ending where everyone knows quite clearly by the end that Matt had been dicking around with them the whole time so that they can flip the bird in unison, (hilariously enough NOT a universal symbol as the video almost seems to suggest but still pretty dern funny) I can understand that it might have interrupted the flow a bit however I think you missed a great opportunity for Matt to tell them he didn't have a car in essentially every Language they had asked him questions in, perhaps including interpretive dance.

That in my mind would have made it better, but it was still a great sketch and one of your better videos.

I too love Matt walking right in looking straigt at Graham and then ringing the bell.

Edit: And no Swahili? I must say I'm a bit disappointed, though I understand.
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 30 Mar 2009, 11:46

Septavius wrote:Were you tempted to add a bit in Tolkienian Elvish?

I think doing one fictional-universe language was enough, and Klingon was the right choice.

Though Quenyan and/or Sindarin (Tolkien's two Elvish languages) would've been fun.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 30 Mar 2009, 11:48

Well done, gentlemen! Well done!
Goed uitgevoerde heren! Goed uitgevoerd!
¡Caballeros bien hechos! ¡Bien hecho!
Gut gemachte Herren! Gut gemacht!
QaQ ta'pu' ghotpu! QaQ ta'pu'!
:lol:

(edit: I couldn't get a good word for "gentlemen" in Klingon that would re-translate back into English properly. So I substituted it with "people".)
Last edited by Cade Antilles on 30 Mar 2009, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
nizno

Postby nizno » 30 Mar 2009, 11:50

Well, no offense to the Dutch, but Dutch and German can sound very similar to non-native speakers. For example, I thought Graham was speaking in German when he said "Zeer göd." (Hoping that's how it's spelled)

It's ''zeer goed''. But your right it sounds similar for non-native speakers but there is a huge difference. Maybe i will record a clip a let you here the difference.

It is a stupid language anyway. I'm dyslectic and Dutch but i got better grades for English than for Dutch.

Edit: Forget it I'm taking this way to serious. Loved the video
Last edited by nizno on 30 Mar 2009, 12:04, edited 2 times in total.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 30 Mar 2009, 11:53

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I Just realized the joke at the very, very end.

I didn't want to ruin the joke for those who haven't noticed it yet, though you might've noticed it right away.... wrote:"Thank you", after the binary "Pee?".

Graham your expression is absolutely perfectt right there!
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.

I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 30 Mar 2009, 11:57

Canonfoder wrote:Just pointing out int he Graham/Matt Closeup Graham forgot his glasses. Small continuity. Great vid none the less

If you watch the video again you can see Graham's character remove his glasses while talking & hang them on his coat pocket. He puts them back on again during the interpretive dance.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 30 Mar 2009, 11:59

Nice stinger.

Also, it seems like things are loading faster from YouTube than from previous hosts, and I like that.
Wonko

Postby Wonko » 30 Mar 2009, 12:00

Cade Antilles wrote:QaQ ta'pu'!
I love how this can be translated as either "good accomplishment(s)" or "good emperors".
This sig is haiku
There's no reason why it is
Other than it's cool.
Casandro

Postby Casandro » 30 Mar 2009, 12:01

Actually I don't like the 'binary' thing that much. It's overdone and after all, the interpretation of binary is not to well defined. It could stand for just about anything. I'd have used something less often used like morse-code:
dit daw daw dit
dit
dit

Or in the long version:
dit dit

dit daw daw
dit daw
daw dit
daw dit
dit daw

dit daw daw dit
dit
dit

Or in the German version:
dit daw daw
daw daw daw

dit dit
dit dit dit
daw

daw dit dit
dit daw
dit dit dit

daw dit daw
dit daw dit dit
daw daw daw
Cmdt_Carpenter

Postby Cmdt_Carpenter » 30 Mar 2009, 12:05

nizno wrote:
Well, no offense to the Dutch, but Dutch and German can sound very similar to non-native speakers. For example, I thought Graham was speaking in German when he said "Zeer göd." (Hoping that's how it's spelled)

It's ''zeer goed''. But your right it sounds similar for non-native speakers but there is a huge difference. Maybe i will record a clip a let you here the difference.

It is a stupid language anyway. I'm dyslectic and Dutch but i got better grades for English than for Dutch.

Damn. It was translated as zeer goed and I figured, "Oh. Babelfish has no umlaut letters?"

Oh you crazy Dutch and your somehow ambiguous spellings of cognates.
Last edited by Cmdt_Carpenter on 30 Mar 2009, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 30 Mar 2009, 12:06

Evil Jim wrote:
Canonfoder wrote:Just pointing out int he Graham/Matt Closeup Graham forgot his glasses. Small continuity. Great vid none the less

If you watch the video again you can see Graham's character remove his glasses while talking & hang them on his coat pocket. He puts them back on again during the interpretive dance.

Actually I put them back on before the dance, but there's no direct cuts to the closeup, so I could have easily taken them off between shots.

Unclever Title wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
I Just realized the joke at the very, very end.

It's subtle, I'm glad you noticed!
Daco
First Video: can't remember

Postby Daco » 30 Mar 2009, 12:06

nizno wrote:It is a stupid language anyway. I'm dyslectic and Dutch but i got better grades for English than for Dutch.

let me second this >_>

loved the video & the binary :D :D :D :D

nice job
DOOR STUCK DOOR IS STUCK
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 30 Mar 2009, 12:07

Easily my favorite "short" sketch this year and excluding the Rapidfire videos, my favorite since I SAW What You Did There. It really hits on every single character and really every single line so major props to Graham on the script.

I find it especially amusing that in a sketch all about talking, Morgan (who has had only 1 line in 2 months of "shorts") gets the interpretative dance role.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 30 Mar 2009, 12:07

I don't know if this is just me, but, speaking as a Canadian, I do enjoy exploiting our country's bilingual status. I have gone in and introduced myself in french at the ministry of health, only to tell them that I don't, in fact, SPEAK french when they replied. That's as far as I've gone though. I'm too nice a person to do otherwise.

Epic video though. And am I the only one who noticed that the "what have we learned from THIS video" is like almost always the last post on the first page?

Matt was also by far the most perfect person for that role. By far.
gryffinp

Postby gryffinp » 30 Mar 2009, 12:08

This video was FANTASTIC, but I'm going to limit my comment to one thing in particular.

The timing on the "Jamaican Patois" line was absolutely perfect, because there was JUST enough time for me to go "Wait, wha-" before Graham started in.

Also Morgan's dance.
RAIC
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby RAIC » 30 Mar 2009, 12:09

Honestly when I first saw this vid, I was afraid you guys would screw this vid up, by trying too talk Dutch. Because in every movie where people talk "Dutch" they just talk German and call it Dutch... Which always fails horribly.
Ok, the Dutch kind of failed, but atleast you actually tried to talk the correct language (and it could have been much worse), so props for that. Also the rest of the vid really made up for the tiny fail in pronounciation.
I loved it, especially the little things, like morgan flippin' the bird with a very dancy-move, the charades, and the fact that the middle-finger is pretty much a universal language in it's own.

Cmdt_Carpenter wrote:Well, no offense to the Dutch, but Dutch and German can sound very similar to non-native speakers. For example, I thought Graham was speaking in German when he said "Zeer göd." (Hoping that's how it's spelled)

Well, I thought Graham was speaking German too, even though I'm Dutch myself.
The pronounciation sounded German, but that's also because we don't really use that phrase in that context, the Germans do (not entirely sure about that though).

(P.S. it's spelled "Zeer goed." in Dutch and "Sehr gut." in German. :wink: )
tak197 wrote:Guys! A Good Looking Ginger DUDE! We have the internet equivalent of a unicorn in our presence.
birdman911

Postby birdman911 » 30 Mar 2009, 12:12

AWSOME VIDEO GUYS!
And it just goes to further prove that Matt is an asshole! (we still love you tho) This video was really well done and gotta give you guys props for attempting the laguages! Loved the sean connery joke, as i am a big sean connery joke fan, nice job with the fliping the bird at the end. Also well done having the binary actuly say something that made sense too!
What you do does not define who you are, who you are defines what you do.
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 30 Mar 2009, 12:28

Wow the ending is epic!
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 30 Mar 2009, 12:29

Wow the ending is epic!
Fox

Postby Fox » 30 Mar 2009, 12:30

i really like the fact that you pulled out binary at the end. i was going to go "what the nerds and geeks you are and you didn't use binary?!?! WTF?" but again you pulled it out of the fire at the end. as another note but a bit more loose you could have had jer communicate in some sort of DnD slang or could have had gram referenced a pig latin book from the vest guy OR there could have been a 1337 speek one with lots of pownzor lolololol kind of thing. i dont know just some other loose ideas :wink:

But excellent job!!!

Fox
"traditional?! what about this is traditional? you're not a 8 year old girl trying to sell me a cup for a nickel, you're a mid twenties predatory sales fiend trying to accost me with second rate citrus beverage!"

my Photography
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 30 Mar 2009, 12:36

birdman911 wrote:And it just goes to further prove that Matt is an asshole!

:\

-m

I am not angry at you.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Mar 2009, 12:38

You pull it off well Matt, and that's not always easy. Most people can do the ignorant/arrogant asshole, but you do the more classy asshole (although not necessarily to black-hat-guy-styled classhole standards) who knows exactly what he's doing, and is proud of messing with others so much. Mix into that your small undertones of bitterness and anger problems that come to the front in the "roommate" videos, and it's a winning combination of an interesting, assholish, character.

Also, you also pull off far more sympathetic roles quite well too (see, well, your avatar for one example).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 30 Mar 2009, 12:42

Master Gunner wrote:You pull it off well Matt, and that's not always easy. Besides, you also pull off far more sympathetic roles quite well too (see, well, your avatar for one example).

I'm not actually a brain surgeon, I just play one on TV!

-m

I am not angry at you.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 30 Mar 2009, 12:50

I have to agree with Master Gunner that Matt plays a great classy asshole. That said, I think it's about time Matt writes, directs and stars in a video of him helping little old ladies across the street and getting kitty cats out of trees called, "Matt's Not An Asshole." At least that video thread shouldn't have people calling him an asshole.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”