The Dinner Party

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 21 Apr 2009, 02:50

Well I liked it. My mind can handle much more violence before it gets queasy, although that's not to say I thought this vid was particularly violent.

I am wondering about the need to both creep out the guests and blow them up, I mean, one or the other, surely? If they thought the creeping out would work, why blow them up? And if they knew the creeping out wouldn't work and set up the bomb anyway, why bother creeping them out? There are any number of other excuses that could have been employed to get either of the hosts out of the room to rig the car.

Unless... the creeping out was meerly to keep the guest off balance, so that they wouldn't suspec that their car was being tamperd with... cunning. Perhaps too cunning. I have my eye on you 8)

Also, is it just me, or did it take a rediculously short amount of time to set up that carbomb? Neither of the hosts were gone from the room for very long, and it was a bit of a walk to the car.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 21 Apr 2009, 03:35

Well first they need to get the guests over so they can plant the car bombs, then they need to get the guests to leave.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 21 Apr 2009, 04:24

The Jester wrote:Well I liked it. My mind can handle much more violence before it gets queasy, although that's not to say I thought this vid was particularly violent.

I am wondering about the need to both creep out the guests and blow them up, I mean, one or the other, surely? If they thought the creeping out would work, why blow them up? And if they knew the creeping out wouldn't work and set up the bomb anyway, why bother creeping them out? There are any number of other excuses that could have been employed to get either of the hosts out of the room to rig the car.

Unless... the creeping out was meerly to keep the guest off balance, so that they wouldn't suspec that their car was being tamperd with... cunning. Perhaps too cunning. I have my eye on you 8)

Also, is it just me, or did it take a rediculously short amount of time to set up that carbomb? Neither of the hosts were gone from the room for very long, and it was a bit of a walk to the car.

You are thinking entirely too much about this video. Turn off your brain and have a laugh.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
CygnusX1

Postby CygnusX1 » 21 Apr 2009, 04:42

It was a creepy video, but I didn't really find it funny.
we sometimes catch a window, a glimpse of what's beyond
http://www.underaglassmoon.wordpress.com
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 21 Apr 2009, 05:02

It was creepy but how couldn't you find Brad's facial expression funny, Cygnus?

I'm pretty sure Brad could have a video where all his lines are made by his facial expressions. I would watch that.
Last edited by Elomin Sha on 21 Apr 2009, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Isiah_Jenner

Postby Isiah_Jenner » 21 Apr 2009, 05:25

What? said:
Probably, in that I misused the term trend. It's just popped up a couple of times recently ("Crime and Punishment" was the other big one I was thinking of), when nothing of this sort has popped up in any of the other videos of yours that I've watched. It's not something I've particularly enjoyed, so having it show up twice in recent videos, combined with (IMO) a run of rather sub-par offerings (outside of cH) between the two probably meant it's taken up a larger part of my viewpoint of recent videos then it rightfully should. Sorry, should have thought a bit more.

On the whole I have to disagree with two of you're statements here. firstly the quality of the videos hasn't gone down (IMO) but rather has changed its style to something slightly more non-sequitur than past videos. On the violence front its only been used in a manner appropriate to the videos its been in. I really think it just makes it slightly more python-esq. To that end consider the following http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tmLvzubP3I
"The bureaucracy is expanding, in order to accommodate the needs of the expanding bureaucracy"
-unknown(civ 4)

"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh god, oh god, we're all going to die?"
-Mal and Wash, Serenity
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 21 Apr 2009, 05:54

In theory the hosts could simply have gone over to their house and killed them while they slept, this way the blame for the event is significantly shifted from the hosts.

I mean, the guests left the house and entered it of their own free will, the hosts were outwardly polite and cordial and had invited them to their wedding. Then the car exploded.
CaptainFish

Postby CaptainFish » 21 Apr 2009, 06:52

The explosion was totally necessary. I get the distinct feeling that these people know each other really well. "This won't creep them out enough to make them not RSVP, but it will distract them."

I think the pacing was good. It really played up the akwardneess of the situation. Even when no one's talking, there is amazing acting going on in the expressions, for me that doesn't equal dead air.

I would say this video might even have a quadruple-punchline. The delivery on "...Flooded?" was priceless, and to change it to the more sensical fire afterwards was great.
Wrong, sir! Wrong!
It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal!
You stole fizzy lifting drinks, you bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized so you get nothing!
You lose!
Good day sir!
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 21 Apr 2009, 07:33

This HAS to be a Kathleen video. The writing just screams her.

But this was great, one of my favorite videos in weeks. I couldn't tell where in the world it was going, and then when I figured it out, it went somewhere completely different.

Brilliant guys, you make me love Mondays SO MUCH.
crazycatdesign

Postby crazycatdesign » 21 Apr 2009, 07:36

emma wrote:I found that the last punchline (was it supposed to be an explosion?) kind of took away from the humour of the "I hope they like toasters" line. That probably would have been a stronger ending.

I COMPLETELY agree!!!! Perhaps I would have enjoyed this strange and unusual video more so.
iceberg1972
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby iceberg1972 » 21 Apr 2009, 09:01

Kathleen looks.... quite different without her glasses. It's almost scary. She's like a totally different person without them. It's pretty cool!

It's Kathleen's alter-ego... I just know it is!!!
"Don't blink! Don't even blink! Blink and you're dead!"

- Doctor Who, "Blink"
CygnusX1

Postby CygnusX1 » 21 Apr 2009, 09:07

Elomin Sha wrote:It was creepy but how couldn't you find Brad's facial expression funny, Cygnus?

I dunno, just didn't find it funny. I'll have to try harder next time.
we sometimes catch a window, a glimpse of what's beyond
http://www.underaglassmoon.wordpress.com
maxman14

Postby maxman14 » 21 Apr 2009, 09:22

I didn't like this as much because i don't like awkward humor. videos where everyone is uncomfortable makes me uncomfortable.

But that's entirely me and nothing to do with LRR.
"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself,
and see if we may not eff it after all." -Douglas Adams
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 21 Apr 2009, 09:56

iceberg1972 wrote:Kathleen looks.... quite different without her glasses. It's almost scary. She's like a totally different person without them. It's pretty cool!

It's Kathleen's alter-ego... I just know it is!!!
Oddly it makes her look not too dissimilar to Mike, at least in the eye department.

Few things will ever make them similar in the nasal department though, sorry Mike.

Still, Kathleen sans glasses with hair pulled back is a scary sight. Warmer colours girl, warmer colours!
iceberg1972
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby iceberg1972 » 21 Apr 2009, 10:14

Lyinginbedmon wrote:Still, Kathleen sans glasses with hair pulled back is a scary sight. Warmer colours girl, warmer colours!

I totally agree with that. I'd like, for once, to see something, I dunno, that doesn't make you look like you just got back from a funeral...
"Don't blink! Don't even blink! Blink and you're dead!"

- Doctor Who, "Blink"
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 21 Apr 2009, 10:23

Iceberg, you're gonna want to change that avatar, or plan to be shunned by me from here til doomsday.

-m

I am not angry at you.
MrDys

Postby MrDys » 21 Apr 2009, 10:51

I liked this video alot. Bring on the weird. I'd like to see LRR try to match the level of weird of something like 12oz Mouse.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 21 Apr 2009, 11:02

MrDys wrote:I liked this video alot. Bring on the weird. I'd like to see LRR try to match the level of weird of something like 12oz Mouse.

let us never speak of this comment again.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Septavius
Location: The friends to the south of our friends to the north

Postby Septavius » 21 Apr 2009, 11:10

Be snippy with me! Go for the hat trick! I believe in you, Matt!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 21 Apr 2009, 11:16

Septavius wrote:Be snippy with me! Go for the hat trick! I believe in you, Matt!

I'm not some trained monkey, here to dance for your amusement.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 21 Apr 2009, 11:21

Dance not angry at all monkey, dance!
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Apr 2009, 11:48

I, for one, really liked the bomb punchline, and don't think it detracted from the previous one at all. In fact, with the toaster punchline, it makes "comedy-sense" with everything that was going on. The bomb makes it (to me at least) make "logical sense" in their actions. Such as why they had to leave (one to bug the car, and one to set up the carbomb should it prove necessary).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 21 Apr 2009, 11:57

MrDys wrote:I liked this video alot. Bring on the weird. I'd like to see LRR try to match the level of weird of something like 12oz Mouse.

Y'know... if you boil down that show to its plot. It's really not that weird. Just the presentation is.

But yeah.. the more absurd the better.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 21 Apr 2009, 13:38

iceberg1972 wrote:
Lyinginbedmon wrote:Still, Kathleen sans glasses with hair pulled back is a scary sight. Warmer colours girl, warmer colours!

I totally agree with that. I'd like, for once, to see something, I dunno, that doesn't make you look like you just got back from a funeral...

I like my wardrobe of dark clothing!
Fun fact: I'm not even remotely goth, but someone in university thought I was because of all the black I wear. Tee hee. I don't like colours.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 21 Apr 2009, 14:04

Hah. At first, I thought it was just going to be a mask gimmic. Then I thought it was going to be 'they're both crazy' gimmic.

But the ending made it truly hilarious.
I can't think of a signature.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”