Action 9 Election Special

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
goat

Re: Action 9 Election Special

Postby goat » 11 May 2009, 19:26

Holy throwbacks, batman!

I keep forgetting you guys are in provincial elections right now. It really creeps me out to here "election season" and "candidates" whenever I'm watching CBC.

Thank you for lampooning something that so desperately needed to be made fun of. Sometimes, I swear they're just making shit up.

Also, nice work with the graphics... they're preeeeeetty
frog

Postby frog » 11 May 2009, 20:09

I just went to re watch the video and it came up with some errors and is showing a video of California's financial thing.
War. War never changes. Since the dawn of human kind, when our ancestors first discovered the killing power of rock and bone, blood has been spilled in the name of everything, from God to justice to simple, psychotic rage.
Pugio

Postby Pugio » 11 May 2009, 20:12

I have the same problem:

A PHP Error was encountered
Severity: Warning

Message: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: Couldn't connect to server

Filename: helpers/MY_string_helper.php(22) : eval()'d code

Line Number: 2

Message: simplexml_load_file(http://blip.tv/file/2097363?skin=api) [function.simplexml-load-file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Message: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "http://blip.tv/file/2097363?skin=api"

Severity: Notice

Line Number: 3

When Ahnold first came on I thought the video was going to cut to Action 9 in some sort of spoof. Instead I ended up with a 35 minute video on the Culver City budget crisis.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 11 May 2009, 20:21

I'm not having that problem.
Where are you guys based? It could be a regional screw-up.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 11 May 2009, 20:28

RytelCSF wrote:At first I thought the ending was kind of meh, but then I realized: much of the sketch was poking fun at unnecessary, extraneous technology.

And you close with Guy With Three PS3s.

BRILLIANT.

ha ha! Yeah! I knew that! Yeah! Ha! I, uh, figured that out all on my own. ... yeah.

How can one be so smart about some things and so ultimately clueless about others? :roll:

Great vid guys. Morgan was perfect for the role and the writing was very Paul-ie (Saunders, not OCC-Paulie)
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
snaz

Postby snaz » 11 May 2009, 20:42

im in manitoba, canada and i got the error thing to. only i saw a clip of a light and then a girl started stripping.
frog

Postby frog » 11 May 2009, 20:55

I'm in Florida and its working now so i don't know what was going on.
War. War never changes. Since the dawn of human kind, when our ancestors first discovered the killing power of rock and bone, blood has been spilled in the name of everything, from God to justice to simple, psychotic rage.
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 11 May 2009, 22:16

ecocd wrote:How can one be so smart about some things and so ultimately clueless about others? :roll:

I'm ultimately clueless about a lot more than some things, thank you very much.
rendelnep

Postby rendelnep » 11 May 2009, 22:20

I had an STV reference in there initially, as one of the captions, but it wouldn't have made any sense at all to those outside of the province,

I dunno, in New Zealand all our city council and health board election are done by STV. The most notable thing about them in My mind is that I never sent in a ballot paper with STV system because they do the ballot by mail.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 11 May 2009, 23:24

ench wrote:Nice to see Morgan featured in a video before he went galavanting around the countryside.

I believe the crew agreed that it was more "faffing about" than "galavanting around". At least Paul agreed and his opinion is pretty important if not the most...

So I'm confused about one thing: why is BC election night coverage being preempted by a French language cartoon about a little girl and her magical bike? I thought that only applied to Quebec...
GothicRomanNinjaPrincess
First Video: 1337

Postby GothicRomanNinjaPrincess » 12 May 2009, 00:06

ROFL @ paul

The "Guy" bit at the end made me laugh so hard i woke up my neighbors....
I Am The 5th James the Other 4 James' Warned you about!
Splunge

Postby Splunge » 12 May 2009, 02:54

Very nice vid. Can we get Action 9 News to cover Budget Night over here in Australia?
Also, just out of curiosity... Do you now have access to enough PS3s that you don't have to use photoshopping or fakes? Does the Guy, in fact, have 3 PS3s on the table in front of him?
Fun is the feedback the brain gives while successfully absorbing a pattern - Raph Koster
I'm think I might be indirectly responsible for Bagel Time!
Oxford
First Video: The Whatever Thing

Postby Oxford » 12 May 2009, 03:44

I don't really care, because, you see, I have 3 PS3s.

WIN.

I didn't catch all the throwbacks, but I got a couple. Guess I'm not as hardcore as some fans. Stay away from me, Scenesters!
9 out of 10 Americans believe that out of 10 people 1 American will always disagree with the other 9.
Charles

Postby Charles » 12 May 2009, 05:31

hmmm . . . I can't say I really liked this video.
I think matt was perhaps a little too much the straightman. I don't think he should be trying to shoot down his colleagues, and sticking to the broken parts of the show as long as possible, but rather try to switch the news to something else that actually works as quickly as possible. And failing, because he's matt/it suits the script.

The statistician certainly shouldn't have been the one to cut that scene, for example. And the idea of him trying to get away with it with faked white noise wasn't ridiculous enough to elicit a laugh. From me.
Laurnil
First Video: Cannot remember

Postby Laurnil » 12 May 2009, 06:03

I liked the video. Reading other peoples comments, it is clear to me I have to watch it again so that I can read the script scrolling on the bottom. I liked the fact that Morgan was just using this really expensive technology to satisfy his sexual desires, which is probably what most people would end up using the technology for, or any technology for that matter. I have to admit, I'm a little fuzzy on my international politics and had no idea elections were occurring there in Canada. So, for like a whole minute of the first video, I was thinking I needed to google Canada's political system. But, I think upon a second viewing, I might take in more hilarity.

Also, loved the 3 PSP guy.
Laurnil

http://www.twitter.com/laurnil

FYI: Laurnil is short for Laura Nichelle
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 12 May 2009, 06:06

Laurnil wrote:I liked the fact that Morgan was just using this really expensive technology to satisfy his sexual desires, which is probably what most people would end up using the technology for, or any technology for that matter.

Food blender?
Fireplace?
V8 engine?

Wait...that last one actually happened...
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Laurnil

Postby Laurnil » 12 May 2009, 06:57

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
Laurnil wrote:I liked the fact that Morgan was just using this really expensive technology to satisfy his sexual desires, which is probably what most people would end up using the technology for, or any technology for that matter.

Food blender?
Fireplace?
V8 engine?

Wait...that last one actually happened...

I'm sure somewhere out there someone has used those very things to get off. I wouldn't put it past people.
Laurnil

RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 12 May 2009, 07:19

You'd think that by now we would've evolved out the capacity to use something so potentially... damaging to satisfy lust, but there you go.
Laurnil

Postby Laurnil » 12 May 2009, 07:22

I think people are evolving backwards, but then again, it might just be what I've seen living in "The South".
Laurnil

Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 12 May 2009, 08:58

My favorite parts were Morgan silencing Matt with that crazy head shake, and Morgan being cut off when he was about to say . . .
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 12 May 2009, 09:42

Laurnil wrote:I liked the video. Reading other peoples comments, it is clear to me I have to watch it again so that I can read the script scrolling on the bottom. I liked the fact that Morgan was just using this really expensive technology to satisfy his sexual desires, which is probably what most people would end up using the technology for, or any technology for that matter. I have to admit, I'm a little fuzzy on my international politics and had no idea elections were occurring there in Canada. So, for like a whole minute of the first video, I was thinking I needed to google Canada's political system. But, I think upon a second viewing, I might take in more hilarity.

googling canadian politics wouldn't do you much good, as it's a provincial election going on anyhow.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Laurnil

Postby Laurnil » 12 May 2009, 10:06

Matt wrote:
Laurnil wrote:I liked the video. Reading other peoples comments, it is clear to me I have to watch it again so that I can read the script scrolling on the bottom. I liked the fact that Morgan was just using this really expensive technology to satisfy his sexual desires, which is probably what most people would end up using the technology for, or any technology for that matter. I have to admit, I'm a little fuzzy on my international politics and had no idea elections were occurring there in Canada. So, for like a whole minute of the first video, I was thinking I needed to google Canada's political system. But, I think upon a second viewing, I might take in more hilarity.

googling canadian politics wouldn't do you much good, as it's a provincial election going on anyhow.

-m

See, I don't even know what that means, so I'm guessing it won't hurt to read up a little bit about Canada's government.
Laurnil

Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 12 May 2009, 10:06

I think if you can just take for granted that there is an election happening in Canada, or somewhere in Canada, you know enough about Canadian politics to get the humour.

Actually you need to know more about American politics, specifically their coverage of it.
Laurnil

Postby Laurnil » 12 May 2009, 10:10

Yea, the whole Will.I.Am on CNN as a hologram. Yea, neat, there is a hologram, but can't we talk to someone, you know, more into the political scene. Course, pundits aren't as popular, I guess.
Laurnil

Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 12 May 2009, 10:20

Canada is run very similarly to america - we have provinces instead of states, and political and lawmaking power is divided between the provincial governments and the federal government, with different responsibilities assigned to each. Elections for either level of government are run independently of one another, and provinces do not all hold elections at the same time.

in this case, citizens of british columbia are electing our provincial leadership and Preimer (the rough equivalent of a governor).

-m

I am not angry at you.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”