Stand-Up Guy

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Zivlok

Re: Stand-Up Guy

Postby Zivlok » 25 May 2009, 19:44

Firstly, LOVED this video. Great writing, Tim!

Secondly, what I actually liked about it:

Paul and James wearing all those shirts from Somebody Has To Change, and then them wearing the same shirt, and it not actually being a shirt from SHTC.

The montage of closing doors.

Bill.

The laugh tracks, and how only James was weirded out by them.

How AWFUL the jokes Tim made were.

Tim popping out in the closet.

The sound of the guitar breaking as Tim hit the ground (good sound editing right there).

And the laugh track at the very end of the video just really brought it all together, and made me love this video. That was just amazing.

My only problem with the video is that the Flash version isn't working for me, and in the lower left corner of the Quicktime version, there's a weird little purple man there.
forkbomb!
Location: Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill: the Nexus of the Universe.

Postby forkbomb! » 25 May 2009, 20:08

Me likey. My favorite part was Tim saying "don't laugh" to the laugh track. I had to listen to the phrase "Rhesus Danke-Schoen" three times to parse it, and two more to descramble it. The pirate costumes seemed out-of-character.

Also, do I hear ADR on the balcony scenes? If so, much improved since Nerd Fight.
None-hit wonder.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 25 May 2009, 20:13

forkbomb! wrote:Me likey. My favorite part was Tim saying "don't laugh" to the laugh track.

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

forkbomb! wrote:I had to listen to the phrase "Rhesus Danke-Schoen" three times to parse it, and two more to descramble it.

O_O

Not sure if there's sarcasm there or not. I was saying "resious doncition," which was supposed to be a terrible dyslexia joke for a scramble of the phrase "serious condition."

forkbomb! wrote:The pirate costumes seemed out-of-character.

That was the point. :) Read the Craig's List ad again.

forkbomb! wrote:Also, do I hear ADR on the balcony scenes? If so, much improved since Nerd Fight.

There's actually another scene in the video with voice dubbing. (I mean another scene other than the book-end shots of James and Paul on the balcony.) First person to accurately point out which cut had voice dubbing in it may get an award of some sort, if I can convince Graham and Paul to give one to you. :P
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 25 May 2009, 20:23

Tim you seem very much like yourself with the calm delivery and bad puns in this video which is not surprising considering that you wrote it.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
CygnusX1

Postby CygnusX1 » 25 May 2009, 20:34

Great video, at first I thought it would have been better if the guitar playing and jokes were done in a more rhythmic song structure with rhyming etc... but then I realized how the character would just be a recycled juicy fruit guy.
we sometimes catch a window, a glimpse of what's beyond
http://www.underaglassmoon.wordpress.com
teknotheef

Postby teknotheef » 25 May 2009, 20:54

I appreciate Paul wearing his glasses over his eyepatch.
Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 25 May 2009, 21:11

Aw man great video. Everything to say was already said but well done.
Zivlok

Postby Zivlok » 25 May 2009, 21:15

Tim wrote:
forkbomb! wrote:Also, do I hear ADR on the balcony scenes? If so, much improved since Nerd Fight.

There's actually another scene in the video with voice dubbing. (I mean another scene other than the book-end shots of James and Paul on the balcony.) First person to accurately point out which cut had voice dubbing in it may get an award of some sort, if I can convince Graham and Paul to give one to you. :P

The bit where James walked into Paul's room the first time, and he was wearing the same green shirt, amirite?

Also, yes, that is the correct way to spell that word. It's French.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 25 May 2009, 21:26

Tim wrote:There's actually another scene in the video with voice dubbing. (I mean another scene other than the book-end shots of James and Paul on the balcony.) First person to accurately point out which cut had voice dubbing in it may get an award of some sort, if I can convince Graham and Paul to give one to you. :P

"Cody", right after the syncing-the-iPod bit. (Before James leaves the room).

The "trying to download emo music" doesn't sound/look quite right IMO.

If that's wrong, I apologize. Maybe it's just the tiredness (currently 0130 EDT).
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 25 May 2009, 21:44

Very, very well done.

Every week I watch the video and then read the forums and realize how many things I missed! I think my eyes are going, but I loved it regardless.

Tim did very well, and Paul and James played off each other well. Also, James looks thinner in this one.

The legs over the balconay was amazing! It looked so real. And I can just imagine the pile of former roomates at the bottom, haha.

I actually stopped the video to read the ad, and thought it would be sillier. Sailing? That's an actual hobby! But it seems it was simply more subtle than I expected.

Credit for the poop joke. I was one of the ones who was a little grossed out last week (just in that it wasn't my taste in humour) but I give it to you for coming back with it this week. Made it doubly funny.

Other than that, just very well filmed and edited. Tim's guitar just seems to appear sometimes. I think everything else has been said.

Thanks for the smiles this week :)
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 25 May 2009, 21:49

I'd like to mention: Despite what some people have said, there is no filtering or other audio fiddling with Tim's voice or guitar.

That's just how he sounds.
forkbomb!
Location: Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill: the Nexus of the Universe.

Postby forkbomb! » 25 May 2009, 22:05

Tim wrote:
forkbomb! wrote:I had to listen to the phrase "Rhesus Danke-Schoen" three times to parse it, and two more to descramble it.
I was saying "resious doncition," which was supposed to be a terrible dyslexia joke for a scramble of the phrase "serious condition."

Yep. To be clear, "rhesus dankeschön" was my Mad Gab'd version of your line; at no time did I think you were speaking of gracious German monkeys. On paper I'm sure the joke is straightforward, but the added mondegreening proved a challenge.

Tim wrote:
forkbomb! wrote:The pirate costumes seemed out-of-character.
That was the point. :) Read the Craig's List ad again.

Ah! That ad was visible just long enough for me to scan it and come to the conclusion that I was not missing anything pause-worthy. Turns out I actually missed a couple things, as I also didn't notice the "unless they're really funny" line either.

Tim wrote:
There's actually another scene in the video with voice dubbing.

Paul's "mlugh!" as he's pulled into the closet seems the most likely candidate, if only because it's disguised by the cut. I'd be very impressed if any of the actual dialogue was dubbed; if so the sync and tone-matching are impeccable. Looping is hard!

After all this ADR talk, I really crave a Wilhelm scream as you go over the balcony, Tim. It seems wrong without it.
None-hit wonder.
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 25 May 2009, 22:07

Vaughn wrote:Yay for a video Allen is in thats actually on the site? =D

I am sure you are hallucinating, as I have never been in, or near, or imagined in, a video, ever. You must be insane, I tell you.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
What?

Postby What? » 25 May 2009, 23:25

He is, but that doesn't make him wrong.
Kdz
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby Kdz » 25 May 2009, 23:32

There's also an overdub when Cody does his bit in the closet.

I don't want this to come off as superior or anything, but I listen to all these videos with headphones on, which makes it much easier to notice the little things like that.

It also explains why I was wondering what everyone was talking about with the "reverb." All I could hear was natural room reverb (which really makes the overdubs stick out). You'd be surprised what a small room can do with sound.

edit: Also, it's a great video. Hilarious, especially as a musician who sometimes tells jokes. Really made it hit home(BA-dum tish!) for me.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 25 May 2009, 23:40

Kdz wrote:There's also an overdub when Cody does his bit in the closet.
No there isn't.
So, don't worry about looking superior because... well, own'd.

Obviously Paul and James' lines on the balcony are dubbed (we can't record from that distance) but the only other instance of ADR is Tim's entire speech (and guitar) when he talks about emo music, but in the close shot only.
MrDys

Postby MrDys » 26 May 2009, 00:07

Aces all around.

micahman212 wrote:my friend likes a comedian that does the same thing in his act he was in Bubble Boy his stuff is alright its hit or miss

Come on, Zach Galifiankis has been in (and been funnier in) other things than Bubble Boy. ...such as Warner Bros.'s The Hangover starring Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, and Heather Graham. From the director of Old School comes a comedy about how some guys just can't handle Vegas. The Hangover, opening June 5.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 26 May 2009, 00:49

props tim. that was really funny and well written.
Godzpunchingbag
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Godzpunchingbag » 26 May 2009, 01:20

Alja-Markir wrote:I like how in the one scene, Paul "leaves the room" by walking into the corner of the room off camera and standing there.

~Alja~

Yeah, i loved that part too. Was that an intentional joke?
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 26 May 2009, 04:20

[Emperor Gum tips his hat at Tim] Yeah, its all been said, very funny. Whoever walked in front of the light during Tim's first guitar playing bit fails, by the way.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 26 May 2009, 04:44

That was great :D

Just wanna say though.. I didn't notice that Paul and James were wearing the same tee when James left the first time I watched it :P
Isiah_Jenner

Postby Isiah_Jenner » 26 May 2009, 04:49

Oh laugh track, thank you for leaving your horrible sit-com job to help make real comedy.
Last edited by Isiah_Jenner on 26 May 2009, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
"The bureaucracy is expanding, in order to accommodate the needs of the expanding bureaucracy"
-unknown(civ 4)

"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh god, oh god, we're all going to die?"
-Mal and Wash, Serenity
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 26 May 2009, 05:14

It is a testament to the quality of the writing that in a sketch about bad stand-up comedy, the joke that seems to be referenced most in the comments is the unspoken t-shirt gag. It manages to stand out despite being only about 2 seconds of the clip.

Well done.
Septavius
Location: The friends to the south of our friends to the north

Postby Septavius » 26 May 2009, 07:22

too bad you couldn't get one with inverted colors. Also:

This is what we like to call a "full circle"!
micahman212

Postby micahman212 » 26 May 2009, 07:23

BTW i didn't notice it before but tim you said hurarious(spelling?) i commend you on being this word into the light me and my friends started saying stuff was hurarious after one too many drinks maybe someone say that was hurarious instead of hilarious so i that you for bringing a tearful awesome memory back to mind thank you so much!

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”