Buttstallation

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Re: Buttstallation

Postby Zombaholic » 22 Jun 2009, 13:23

It's weird, it's a sketch then it goes into one about philosophy and question questions. While you question what you've just witnessed. It's, awesome, yet, not seen much before.

I approve, I also must make a scheduled appointment with my buttinstallers
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
Urdar

Postby Urdar » 22 Jun 2009, 13:27

Very.. special.
Nice play with expectionans, so it has some meta humor.
was funny indeed
Making the world a weirder place.
JSW

Postby JSW » 22 Jun 2009, 13:33

A participatory system of government doesn't necessarily mean that it's the populace that's doing the governing. Indeed, as the video points out, governing is too complex to be left to a general population that for the most part is too busy with their own professions to obtain the background necessary to govern effectively. However, what is needed is a system of government accountable to the populace, in which the people have a recourse if the government fails to act according to their best interests. After all, you don't need to be a chef to know when your steak is overdone.

The problem is that many democratic societies go to far and introduce things such as ballot propositions and term limits, which really much up the whole process.
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 22 Jun 2009, 13:44

I do so love meta humour. This one was great because it was so jarring and unexpected. I went "Wha?" then laughed and wondered "What the hell is the rest of the video about?"
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 22 Jun 2009, 13:51

To touch on the Monty Python thing:
There was one episode of the original series where a character called The Colonel repeatedly appeared and yelled at the actors to end various sketches for being "Too silly"*, but that was only the one episode.

Recently, there have been hour-long Python "episodes" made from re-cutting old episodes. However because of the often specific structure of the original episodes, these re-cuts would frequently cut to the same clip of The Colonel yelling to stop sketches, just as a vehicle for ending things. I think this may have made it seem more frequent.

Someone mentioned Mr. Show, and (while clearly Mr. Show and LRR take a lot of inspiration from Monty Python) I think this feels more like a Mr. Show bit.

What I'm saying is, I agree that it's not "new" territory, but it's new for us. Also, it's all in the delivery.

*Using the term "silliest" in this video was, indeed, a reference.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 22 Jun 2009, 13:53

His_Ryanness wrote:This one was great because it was so jarring and unexpected. I went "Wha?" then laughed and wondered "What the hell is the rest of the video about?"
Excellent.
bradleyrains
First Video: Phailhaus 11

Postby bradleyrains » 22 Jun 2009, 13:57

if only the news was like this...or shot half as well. ^_^
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 22 Jun 2009, 13:57

My only issue is that it went "This is one of the silliest things we've ever done" but then reused those same characters.

I was expecting either them to talk about "this sketch" which would be monty python, or "this job" in the context of the video. That hit me second, and actually seemed like it could have been exceptionally well done.

Graham: This is the silliest thing we've ever done. We're never going to hard sell to a WHITE GUY. Excuse me, sir, can you point me to the ghetto part of town?

Paul: What? Oh, yeah, sure, of course. That way *points*

Or something along those lines. Probably better, this is LRR we're talking about.

I did like the random switch to, excuse the reference, something completely different. It had that movies feel written all over it.

I think it was the end that killed the python like properties, but, because of the aforementioned feeling of incompleteness about the silliness, ruined, for me, what was otherwise a clever and unique (for LRR) vid.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 22 Jun 2009, 13:59

Upon filming my scene at the end of the video, the only part of the sketch I'd read was my own line.

Upon seeing the completed video, my first words were, "What the fuck did I just watch!?"

-m

I am not angry at you.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 22 Jun 2009, 14:04

theDreamer wrote:My only issue is that it went "This is one of the silliest things we've ever done" but then reused those same characters.

I was expecting either them to talk about "this sketch" which would be monty python, or "this job" in the context of the video. That hit me second, and actually seemed like it could have been exceptionally well done.

Graham: This is the silliest thing we've ever done. We're never going to hard sell to a WHITE GUY. Excuse me, sir, can you point me to the ghetto part of town?

Paul: What? Oh, yeah, sure, of course. That way *points*

Or something along those lines. Probably better, this is LRR we're talking about.

I did like the random switch to, excuse the reference, something completely different. It had that movies feel written all over it.

I think it was the end that killed the python like properties, but, because of the aforementioned feeling of incompleteness about the silliness, ruined, for me, what was otherwise a clever and unique (for LRR) vid.

I think referencing a joke that the video makes you think was abandoned at the very end serves as a good punchline.
Bartley Butsford
First Video: Ways to Ruin a Job Interview

Postby Bartley Butsford » 22 Jun 2009, 14:06

I loved this video. Totally unexpected, especially the wrap up. Felt like everybody really brought their A game for acting, and it was shot beautifully too.
a web comic
Science has one fatal flaw: it's stupid.
offkenter

Postby offkenter » 22 Jun 2009, 14:06

This episode is so good that I had to register for the board just so I could tell you how awesome it is. It has surpassed Crime and Punishment as my favorite LRR video. The silly intro bit made the more high brow philosophy bits funnier, which in turn made the buttstallation bit funnier in retrospect. This one is a winner.
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 22 Jun 2009, 14:07

So, an abrupt jump from a completely ridiculous concept to a more ridiculous, but still incredibly funny concept?

Such a startlingly strange video that it makes me question why...OHHHHhhhhhhhh.....
wedrinkritalin

Postby wedrinkritalin » 22 Jun 2009, 14:07

And now for something......
LS

Postby LS » 22 Jun 2009, 14:09

As a philosophy major, this video would have stung a lot less if the discussions and ideas of the 'philosophers' weren't so damned accurate. Then at least I could quietly mutter that you guys were way off base.

Funny video.
Fancy Morgan: the Matt lover.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 22 Jun 2009, 14:10

Pythonesque with a LRR twist.

Brilliant video, especially the ending. Fantastic!
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Sabre

Postby Sabre » 22 Jun 2009, 14:15

lol butts

Anyways, IMO I think the mixing of the two ideas left both sides underdeveloped. While I know people hyperventilate when videos hit the 5:00 mark, I think that both the philosophers and the butt installation were lacking in their 'final' punchline. I felt like there were basically only an introduction of the concept, and then a slight escalation, but no real climax for either of the two 'running' jokes.

By comparison, the Skeeterpellant video had very good escalation to the concept, particularly the running joke about the agent/lawyer, which left me satisfied at the end that the ideas had been used up well. This one makes me feel unsatisfied at the end.
Last edited by Sabre on 23 Jun 2009, 04:04, edited 1 time in total.
goat

Postby goat » 22 Jun 2009, 14:18

I...

yeah, I dunno. I'm going to go with "I liked it", but I think I'll have to watch it a few more times to get a full appreciation for it.

How'd you guys find that wall to paint? Is that the outside of the moonbase or something?
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 22 Jun 2009, 14:21

<reverb filter>MOOOOVIE MAAAAAAGIC</reverb filter>

-m

I am not angry at you.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 22 Jun 2009, 14:41

LS wrote:As a philosophy major, this video would have stung a lot less if the discussions and ideas of the 'philosophers' weren't so damned accurate. Then at least I could quietly mutter that you guys were way off base.

Funny video.

Ha ha! All my political philosophy classes in uni paid off!
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 22 Jun 2009, 14:51

That was good, but my sense of humour treated it as two distinct videos with an immediate reference to the first at the end of the second. I feel like we got two videos this week. No argument.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 22 Jun 2009, 15:06

I too can confirm that the philosophy debates were pretty accurate, one of my close friends loves to espouse and argue philosophical topics with me, who usually offers the "rational" and scientific point of view where she refutes it based on various theories of perception and reality.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 22 Jun 2009, 15:09

So this video was essentially underground philosophy wrapped in Butt... but in a good way.

Wow that ends up sounding far more horrible than I thought it would.

Definitely one of your weirder videos. Weird's not bad, but this was weirder than it was funny in my oppinion. Though the whole butt refurbishment stuff was freakin' hilarious.
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
icct hedral

Postby icct hedral » 22 Jun 2009, 15:14

Keith K wrote:That was good, but my sense of humour treated it as two distinct videos with an immediate reference to the first at the end of the second. I feel like we got two videos this week. No argument.

Yeah, same. As separate videos I enjoyed them on their own. I can't view it as one cohesive piece, though, despite the punchline at the end.
That said, the acting and shooting are superb in this video.
Arpijy

Postby Arpijy » 22 Jun 2009, 15:17

At some point I was expecting the philosophy part to cut off in the same way, as if that wasn't good enough either. I think that going from sketch to sketch trying to find one that "works" would be a great video, but regardless, it was some good stuff.

Also, when I first saw the title I misread it as "Buttstation". There's so many different directions that could go too...

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”