Plan 9 From Outer Space remake!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Plan 9 From Outer Space remake!

Postby Evil Jim » 08 Sep 2009, 20:46

Criswell wrote:Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future. You are interested in the unknown, the mysterious, the unexplainable. That is why you are here. And now, for the first time, we are bringing to you the full story of what happened on that fateful day. We are giving you all the evidence, based only on the secret testimonies of the miserable souls who survived this terrifying ordeal. The incidents, the places, my friend we cannot keep this a secret any longer. Let us punish the guilty, let us reward the innocent. My friend, can your heart stand the shocking facts about grave robbers from outer space?

In 1959 Ed Wood released his cult classic movie Plan 9 From Outer Space. Now, to coincide with its golden anniversary, Writer/Director John Johnson has created a remake of this fine piece of cinema history. Simply titled "Plan 9", it is a serious-minded retelling of the original story, paying homage to the spirit of Wood's film without resorting to camp or parody. The film focuses on the horror & science fiction aspects of the original but is also largely character-driven. He wanted to not only honor the original source material but Ed Wood's intentions when he made the original. Wood's plan was to make a very scary sci-fi/horror film, and Johnson wishes to do exactly that – create a film that Wood would have enjoyed, or perhaps even made himself, if not bound by the technological limitations placed on filmmakers 50 years ago.

You can check out more info at Plan9Movie.com. The new website went live today (9/9/9) & the trailer is available as well. It's a smaller, independent film so it probably won't get as wide a release as most movies but I'll update this post with more info as it comes.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Re: Plan 9 From Outer Space remake!

Postby Cade Antilles » 08 Sep 2009, 21:01

Sounds intriguing . . .
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 08 Sep 2009, 21:04

I like the concept, but I'm not quite sold on the execution.

After all, Plan Nine was a great movie because it was a terrible movie. And while I can certainly appreciate the refusal to make use of parody, if you take away the "terrible movie" aspect... what's left?
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 08 Sep 2009, 21:29

This sounds like a severely idiotic idea.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 09 Sep 2009, 01:11

see here's the problem: If the remake is a good movie, then it's not faithful to the original, and if it's a bad movie then it's faithful but still a bad movie....
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 09 Sep 2009, 01:27

The original wasn't intended to be a bad movie. There were just too many oversights & corners cut for expediency's sake for a good quality movie to come out of it. We love it now for all its flaws but for better or worse, John Johnson is attempting to make a good movie out of the original script & ideas. I for one am excited to see if he has succeeded.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 09 Sep 2009, 02:41

Terrible terrible idea....

Well it could be worse, it could be this:
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 09 Sep 2009, 02:47

Smeghead wrote:see here's the problem: If the remake is a good movie, then it's not faithful to the original, and if it's a bad movie then it's faithful but still a bad movie....

That's not a problem, as long as they make it faithful to the ideas behind the original, as stated, rather than the actual end result.
Evisr

Postby Evisr » 09 Sep 2009, 08:35

Nope. I am not excited about this one at all. I feel the execution isn't going to work. Ed Wood may have been a terrible director but he did have passion and some sort of style in his work. I do laugh at his movies today but the guy went though alot of crap when he was directing. If you don't know what I am talking about go watch Tim Burton's Ed Wood.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 09 Sep 2009, 21:47

I think it's a great idea.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 09 Sep 2009, 21:48

Evil Jim wrote:The original wasn't intended to be a bad movie. It's just Ed Wood was the director

I fixed that for ya
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 10 Sep 2009, 15:26

I'd like to see a remake of Plan 9 from Bell Labs.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 10 Sep 2009, 16:13

ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:
Smeghead wrote:see here's the problem: If the remake is a good movie, then it's not faithful to the original, and if it's a bad movie then it's faithful but still a bad movie....

That's not a problem, as long as they make it faithful to the ideas behind the original, as stated, rather than the actual end result.

Have you ever heard of Plan 9 From Outer Space? It literally has no merit beyond being so incredibly bad that it's entertaining to watch. Making a good version of it would stomp all over its legacy.

Return to “General Discussion”