Pax [PRIME] 2010: Let's Plan this Shit!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lag
First Video: Ways to get a Ticket

Pax [PRIME] 2010: Let's Plan this Shit!

Postby Lag » 11 Sep 2009, 07:09

Yes, PAX 2009 just ended, and it was Fucking Epic, but seriously, let's start planing this now so we can be ready.

On a side note:
I don't know how many of you saw, but this was my first PAX, and to help with the trip, I created the PAX Bible so I could have everything ready and knew what to do, and when. It is currently in the hands of the LRR Crew (They can tell you what's happening to it if they want to) but what I'm interested in is would anyone else be interested in a PAX Bible? as a Pre compiled book you could pick up at the PAX Dinner, or have shipped out ahead of time, or as a PDF you could print off, or a web app for the iPhone/Android/Pre.

Anyone have any interest or suggestions?

Oh, and I hope to see you all there again next year
Telaril

Re: Pax [PRIME] 2010: Let's Plan this Shit!

Postby Telaril » 11 Sep 2009, 23:20

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here? A configureable PDF/blank journal for con-going? A guide to what's what at the cons, with scheduling suggestions and advice? A tour guide to a con?

I've considered con manuals before. It's a good idea... there are tourist guides to places, why not one for a con? There are a lot of bloggity things of this type that exist... I'm too lazy to google but I know I've seen articles on surviving Worldcon, San Diego, Game Developers Conference, E3 and some general anime con advice.

A whole book, though? It seems to me that it would be hard to make it predictive and universally applicable. Cons are changeable, and sometimes a thing becoming popular means it starts to suck. (I really hate to say this because it sounds awful). Case in point: "After Dark" panels at most anime cons. They used to be a few slightly hammered actors telling theatre stories to a handful of laid-back old con veterans, now they're a screaming ballroom filled with kids who just need to get off my lawn.

Ahem. Sorry, sorry.

Cons are weird things, and while I'd like a better way to know what's up and to structure my time I'm a bit unsure exactly what you're proposing here. Also, a lot of my best times at cons have happened on the fly with no pre-planning (see: Kathleen's birthday party, Morgan's Command Decisions, and innumerable nights wandering dangerous cities with strangers in search of a goddam open restaurant.)

In conclusion, I can has more details?
MarkVI
First Video: iPhone Alternative

Postby MarkVI » 12 Sep 2009, 02:33

I honestly don't have much idea what a PAX bible would actually contain. What else is there besides what's given in the standard issue printed schedule?

I suppose it would be quite useful to have a guide of all the competitions or prize events going on before the convention in order to be more prepared for them (and to be aware).
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 12 Sep 2009, 17:58

Funny Story: I was actually proposing this kind of idea on the PAX East thread on the PAX forum.

So if you could send it to me, I would love to take a look at it and see what tweaks I could make to be Boston specific.
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 12 Sep 2009, 19:08

Innoculations.

No longer your barrel-rolling monkey.
Lag

Postby Lag » 12 Sep 2009, 19:51

Telaril wrote:I'm not sure what you're suggesting here? A configureable PDF/blank journal for con-going? A guide to what's what at the cons, with scheduling suggestions and advice? A tour guide to a con?

All of the above. It would be free, each chapter would be a different PDF Document (some pulled from other resources (such as guides to games at Pax, Like the assasin's game) that way you would only have to print off the chapters you wanted/needed. All the info I used was pulled from the PAX forums the night before I left. if I were to do it again, I would plan it out much better, hence, why I'm starting now. It included maps, local locations (including Tourist attractions, shopping centers and stores, and restaurants), the schedule for the PAX Panels and Free play times, as well as write up's on various things.

The improvements I would make for 2010 would be:

-Actually write it my self instead of steeling everyone else's stuff
-Make sure the maps are readable
-Make it more universal instead of just tailored for me
-Have a Writeup/discription on everything, Including the Musical guests

Any one have some other idea's?

@tak197
I'll see if I can find the files for you, like I said, LRR has the physical one now

Here's a pic of the one I made for this year (sorry, only the cover)
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 12 Sep 2009, 20:37

isn't this essentially just the PAX program they were handing out by the trillion?

-m

I am not angry at you.
Lag

Postby Lag » 12 Sep 2009, 21:14

Yes, plus all the information from all the unofficial PAX event's as well.

I forgot to tell that part, didn't I
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 12 Sep 2009, 22:13

A-ha. Gotcha. Seeing as PAX East is still a bit of a ways away, and still in the planning stages, having the model would be a good idea. Send me what you have Lag!
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 13 Sep 2009, 01:14

Lag wrote:Yes, plus all the information from all the unofficial PAX event's as well.

I'd like to help with this, if you'd want any help.

At the very least I can track down all your greengrocers' apostrophes, and fix them for you. Hehe.
Lag

Postby Lag » 13 Sep 2009, 08:18

Telaril wrote:
Lag wrote:Yes, plus all the information from all the unofficial PAX event's as well.

I'd like to help with this, if you'd want any help.

At the very least I can track down all your greengrocers' apostrophes, and fix them for you. Hehe.

LOL, sure, that would be great. Some one who could spell would be a great addition to the team
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 13 Sep 2009, 13:19

I remember looking for the Triwizard Drinking Tournament at PAX 2008. Never did find it, but I did get to have some hot, greasy Dick's.
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 14 Sep 2009, 01:25

Another good thing to have is a reference map of restaurants that LISTS APPROXIMATE PRICES AND HOURS. GAH. (Ideally, this IS something you'd need someone who lived in the area to help with.... but I'd suspect you could do all right with Google maps, travel guides, and a lot of confirmation phone calls.)

This is something no convention booklet I've ever seen has managed to do. Otakon does a great job with an excellent map of all the restaurants, but you have to figure out own your own that everything but the crazy, greasy, soul food place closes at like 9pm.
Lag

Postby Lag » 14 Sep 2009, 08:10

Telaril wrote:Another good thing to have is a reference map of restaurants that LISTS APPROXIMATE PRICES AND HOURS. GAH. (Ideally, this IS something you'd need someone who lived in the area to help with.... but I'd suspect you could do all right with Google maps, travel guides, and a lot of confirmation phone calls.)

This is something no convention booklet I've ever seen has managed to do. Otakon does a great job with an excellent map of all the restaurants, but you have to figure out own your own that everything but the crazy, greasy, soul food place closes at like 9pm.

That's an amazing idea!
MarkVI

Postby MarkVI » 15 Sep 2009, 14:12

As a Seattleite myself, I would definitely list Palomino's as a restaurant to check out.

It's roughly located at 5th and Pike I think (address is 1420 5th ave), but you have to go inside the City Center Mall and then up to the third floor to get there.

Bottom line: They have happy hour from 9pm to close every night with good drink specials, $5 appetizers and $5 pizzas (regularly $10-13). I don't know of a better deal in the downtown area honestly, as very few places have late night specials that good. It's also a little less obvious to people who don't know where to look, and hence it might be a bit less crowded than other places.

Details: http://www.palomino.com/menu.php
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 15 Sep 2009, 14:23

regarding PAX: there are only two restraunts you need to concern yourself with.

The Taphouse, and The Hurricane

-m

I am not angry at you.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 15 Sep 2009, 14:48

Matt wrote:regarding PAX: there are only two restraunts you need to concern yourself with.

The Taphouse, and The Hurricane

-m

This is incorrect. Or at least incomplete.

- Cutter's Bayhouse (near Pike Place Market): expensive but excellent seafood
- Oceanaire's (downtown near the convention centre): similar to above
- Beecher's Handmade Cheese (Pike Place Market): try everything, gain weight, be happy
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 15 Sep 2009, 15:00

having eaten at cutyters this trip, I can vouch for it's raditude.

and the cheese place is amazing, but hardly a restaraunt.

-m

I am not angry at you.
PRCNet

Postby PRCNet » 15 Sep 2009, 15:11

Gotta throw out Beth's for that list.

Ain't done Seattle until you take a swing at the 12 Egg at 2 AM.
MarkVI

Postby MarkVI » 15 Sep 2009, 15:48

Some people might want to have more options just for the variety.

13 Coins is the best 24 hour restaurant in downtown in my opinion (Denny Way and Boren Ave I think)

The Tap House may be great for beer, but if you're willing to head over to Fremont there's a place called Brouwer's (420 N 35th Street) which has about 40 beers on tap and around 300 in bottles. I'm not kidding.

Also a great beer stop to check out is The Stumbling Monk in Capitol Hill. They carry exclusively Belgian style beers, which I really like.
Duncan

Postby Duncan » 15 Sep 2009, 19:06

Matt I think you're forgetting the pulled-pork sandwiches at the mall....mmmmmmmmmm.....
If you're good, pizza. If you're bad, poison.
What if one of us is good and one of us is bad?
Ooooh no, I'm not making two trips!
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 15 Sep 2009, 19:31

For a guy with four posts, I've sure seen Duncan change his avatar a lot.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Lag

Postby Lag » 15 Sep 2009, 19:48

Wow, this almost sounds like a LRR Forms project now, and I LOVE IT! We could all work together to gather the information and all contribute what we know best, and closer to PAX time, compile it into a usable "Bible"
Duncan

Postby Duncan » 16 Sep 2009, 20:24

haha, I've changed my avatar twice, it's my sig I've changed quite a bit. Plus I used to be on this with another name but I've long since forgotten my password and username, so I had to make a new one.
If you're good, pizza. If you're bad, poison.
What if one of us is good and one of us is bad?
Ooooh no, I'm not making two trips!
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 16 Sep 2009, 20:34

PRCNet wrote:Gotta throw out Beth's for that list.

Ain't done Seattle until you take a swing at the 12 Egg at 2 AM.

I was about to toss that in here.
If you're out late in Seattle, you HAVE to hit up Beth's. Delicious, delicious, filling food, open 24 hours, and it has a fantastic (if a little grimy) atmosphere. 10 bucks gets you a 12 egg ommelette and unlimited hashbrowns. And then you can just hang out for a few hours. Highly recommended.

..And Dick's, obviously.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009

Return to “General Discussion”