Do You Know Where Your World Leaders Are?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Woland

Do You Know Where Your World Leaders Are?

Postby Woland » 24 Sep 2009, 04:09

I do! They're (probably) right down the street from me! While Pittsburgh descends into burning chaos, I will be bringing you live updates from anything interesting that happens outside my windows, because I have no interest in actually going downtown or anything crazy like that. But if I start hearing explosions outside, or obvious lies from the media, I'll make sure to note them here.

And, for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, the G-20 starts now, in Pittsburgh, and goes until everyone goes away.
Bob The Magic Camel

Re: Do You Know Where Your World Leaders Are?

Postby Bob The Magic Camel » 24 Sep 2009, 04:48

Not entirely related, but: my personal favourite "G#" group is the G7, or the "Fuck off, Russia" group as it's also known.

Yes, I know that there's some substantial differences between them; but I do find it amusing to think that they created the G7 just so they could exclude Russia, after all the G8 is them and Russia.
This signature has been intentionally left blank.

No marks will be awarded for solutions written on this signature.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 24 Sep 2009, 05:31

Ugh, I go to PItt and I still have class today.... Yesterday there were about 5 state troopers patrolling each block and its not that close to downtown.

I heard Duquesne shut down and told the kids to go away
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Woland

Postby Woland » 24 Sep 2009, 05:40

Yeah, I was supposed to take the LSAT at Duquesne on Saturday and they told me it was canceled because of the G-20. I guess they think it's going to get crazy bad down there. I just keep thinking of Seattle ten years ago and hoping that no one tries to break my windows. I have had my xbox for over a year now without it red-ringing and I'll be damned if some imported protester is going to lewt it.
korri

Postby korri » 24 Sep 2009, 05:47

Hopefully they don't come to shadyside...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 24 Sep 2009, 05:56

korri wrote:Ugh, I go to PItt and I still have class today.... Yesterday there were about 5 state troopers patrolling each block and its not that close to downtown.

That's what Boston is like every time there's a Red Sox game.
Woland

Postby Woland » 24 Sep 2009, 06:13

They did a lot of closing down of things when we won the Super Bowl and (for the Canadians) the Stanley Cup, but that was all different. The atmosphere was just...better. Like, there's a big difference between setting a car on fire because you're happy and setting a car on fire because you're angry. Different fire spirits are summoned, or something. This is just much darker, and the overcast sky doesn't help.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 24 Sep 2009, 06:16

I heard a bunch of Greenpeace protesters were arrested. I'm not certain if it's related to the G-20 Summit (I think it is), but Greenpeace protesters getting arrested is always fun.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Sep 2009, 06:26

Woland wrote:Like, there's a big difference between setting a car on fire because you're happy and setting a car on fire because you're angry.

I know this from experience. On our front, we have the 2010 Olympics to look forward to. Yaaaaay...
Woland

Postby Woland » 24 Sep 2009, 06:26

Yeah, they unveiled a giant sign from one of our hundreds of bridges.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... g2cNW8vPlw

In general, I don't agree with Greenpeace, at least not with their methods, but they weren't actually harassing anyone with this one, so it rates a little higher in my mind. It's easily the least disruptive, visible protest in the city yet.

Compare it to the march yesterday that was fighting for free education and shouting "Fuck Coal, Burn the Rich". I don't think "progressive anarchists" understand the notion of a cohesive argument. At least, generally speaking.

@JesterJ. Were you in Seattle for the WTO in '99?
korri

Postby korri » 24 Sep 2009, 08:08

Woland wrote:They did a lot of closing down of things when we won the Super Bowl and (for the Canadians) the Stanley Cup, but that was all different. The atmosphere was just...better. Like, there's a big difference between setting a car on fire because you're happy and setting a car on fire because you're angry. Different fire spirits are summoned, or something. This is just much darker, and the overcast sky doesn't help.

yeah that was fun.... I might have participated in some of that but decided to leave when they started arresting people. Here is definately a difference when the people in the riot are celebrating something then if they are protesting

MrDys

Postby MrDys » 24 Sep 2009, 09:34

I've been listening to the Pittsburgh Police Radio as background music all morning. Interesting stuff going on. I'm very proud of my childhood city, and over the last couple hours found out how protective I am of it, even from afar.
Woland

Postby Woland » 24 Sep 2009, 10:36

Thanks for that link. I'd never heard of that site. Really puts the school bus of riot police up the street in context.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 24 Sep 2009, 10:52

My dad's contracted company, Sanofi Pasteur, is based in France, and apparently they invited a bunch of VIPs from the company to go to a soiree with the President of France. Of course my dad wasn't invited, but then again it was the night of my parent's anniversary.
MrDys

Postby MrDys » 24 Sep 2009, 10:58

Canada's bloody seals, representing.
Woland

Postby Woland » 24 Sep 2009, 11:30

Tear gas being fired off down the street. Protesters repeatedly breaking off and regrouping. Arrests starting soon, probably. Loudspeakers threatening all kinds of "police actions". Should get interesting soon.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 24 Sep 2009, 11:34

Have the tripods showed up yet?
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 24 Sep 2009, 11:38

No, but thank god the ogres are arriving.
Woland

Postby Woland » 24 Sep 2009, 11:44

The protesters outside are all screaming about beard hair.

...I think they called in the Texas Rangers
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 24 Sep 2009, 11:48

Wow, I just glanced over this before. I wish I had read it earlier. Holy crap.

Good luck, Woland. Hopefully your windows all stay intact.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Woland

Postby Woland » 24 Sep 2009, 11:49

Fingers = crossed.
Woland

Postby Woland » 24 Sep 2009, 11:51

Cops are back. Loud robotic voice telling people to disperse. More CS gas (tear gas). Wife and I are getting it intermittently. Tear Gas sucks.
Arius

Postby Arius » 24 Sep 2009, 11:55

Damned robots. Innocent residents: Does not compute.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Woland

Postby Woland » 24 Sep 2009, 11:59

They have this tank with a directable speaker that makes a sound so loud it hurts your head. And, guess what, when you're not directly in front of it, you can still hear it. And it sounds awful. Like what the alarmclock sounds like when you're asleep, only you're awake, and it doesn't go away. And its way louder.
Arius

Postby Arius » 24 Sep 2009, 11:59

I'd suggest running outside and hitting the snooze, but I'm guessing that could end poorly.

Return to “General Discussion”