New Hard Drive? Or New Laptop?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
TorachiKatashi

New Hard Drive? Or New Laptop?

Postby TorachiKatashi » 30 Sep 2009, 17:20

Most of the people here are much more knowledgeable about technology than myself, so I'm looking for some advice.

A few months ago, the hard drive crapped out on my laptop (or rather, my father dropped the laptop on the floor and something cracked inside the hard drive). I ended up getting this desktop I'm on now mostly because I was getting sick of playing WoW on a laptop.

I still want to get the laptop repaired so that I can have internet access the two days a month I actually leave this room to go visit my aunt, and to have as a back-up should anything happen to the desktop and it need to be sent out for repairs.

The thing is, though, that the laptop is, I'm sure, three or four years old, and has had the hard drive replaced at least four times. So what I'm wondering is, given that I won't often be using the laptop but that it has so far had a bad track record, would it be more cost-effective to replace the hard drive (was priced at something like $250, but I may get a little shaved off by my father's cousin replacing it for me and my only having to pay for the hard drive), or to just buy a new laptop?

All of my stuff has been moved to this desktop, so all it would really need is enough memory and such to play WoW and get online, and maybe enough memory just to serve as a back-up for my more important stuff for school and such. What are the odds of my being able to find a relatively cheap laptop that I can do those things on?

I'd ask the guys at the computer store about it, but I'm entirely confident their opinion would be that I should just buy the most expensive laptop they have.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: New Hard Drive? Or New Laptop?

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Sep 2009, 17:23

If all you need the laptop for is to get on the internet, and nothing strenuous like gaming (except for older games, of course), then I'd say just get a new hard drive. That way if you ever do get a new laptop, you should be able to swap the hard drive over if its a larger one, and/or get an external enclosure, and give yourself an external HD for backup or what have you.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 30 Sep 2009, 17:27

Get a new harddrive.
I suggest a solid state drive, they are much faster than spindle drives.
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 30 Sep 2009, 17:32

Master Gunner wrote:If all you need the laptop for is to get on the internet, and nothing strenuous like gaming (except for older games, of course), then I'd say just get a new hard drive. That way if you ever do get a new laptop, you should be able to swap the hard drive over if its a larger one, and/or get an external enclosure, and give yourself an external HD for backup or what have you.

Does WoW count as strenuous? Other than some old silly game I got in a cereal box when I was six that I might play in the event my servers are down, that's the only thing I'd be playing on it.

iEatNinjaZ wrote:Get a new harddrive.
I suggest a solid state drive, they are much faster than spindle drives.

I have no idea what either of those mean, but I'll write them down and tell the guy that (and make it sound like I know what I'm talking about). xD
Last edited by TorachiKatashi on 30 Sep 2009, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Sep 2009, 17:36

A spindle drive is a traditional hard drive, with those spinning platters in it. A solid state drive is basically a massive flash drive.

EDIT: Here's a picture, the one on the left is a spindle drive, the one on the right is a solid-state drive.
Last edited by Master Gunner on 30 Sep 2009, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 30 Sep 2009, 17:37

The best course of action would be to buy the replacement hard drive yourself. Notebook hard drives aren't much money. NCIX has all sorts of them. And they do price matching, so you can get it for way cheaper than the 250 you were probably quoted by your manufactuter.

If you want, I'll help you pick one out.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 30 Sep 2009, 17:38

Also solid state drives are harder to break.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 30 Sep 2009, 17:41

They also cost a great deal more per gigabyte than conventional drives. Granted, they're also faster for read and write speeds. But still not practical for your average user.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Sep 2009, 17:53

TorachiKatashi wrote:Does WoW count as strenuous? Other than some old silly game I got in a cereal box when I was six that I might play in the event my servers are down, that's the only thing I'd be playing on it.

WoW came out about 5 years ago, and you played it on your laptop before. I don't think it'll be a problem.
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 30 Sep 2009, 21:23

TorachiKatashi wrote:Other than some old silly game I got in a cereal box when I was six that I might play in the event my servers are down, that's the only thing I'd be playing on it.

Are you talking about Chex Quest?
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 30 Sep 2009, 21:40

I LOVED CHEX QUEST.

That's all I really have to add!
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 30 Sep 2009, 21:49

Why does it cost $250 to put in a new hard drive? It should be like, $75 new, tops. Putting them in is easy enough as well. Open hatch, pull old drive out, put new drive in, close hatch. Yes, it's that simple. So buy a new hard drive, and replace it yourself. Geez, that's worse than charging $150 to reinstall Windows.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 30 Sep 2009, 22:35

Actually, its more like:
Pop off screw covers
Unscrew screws holding drive tray in.
Remove drive tray
Unscrew and remove drive from tray
Remove notebook HDD connector adapter thing from old HDD
Attach notebook HDD connector adapter thing to new HDD
Place new drive on tray and screw new hdd to tray
insert drive tray.
Put screws back in.
Put screw covers back in.

//former HP notebook tech support guy.
MarkVI
First Video: iPhone Alternative

Postby MarkVI » 01 Oct 2009, 00:57

If all you want the laptop for is the internet, then get a netbook. You can buy a decent one brand new for $300.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 01 Oct 2009, 08:31

Lorithad wrote:Actually, its more like:
Pop off screw covers
Remove drive tray
insert drive tray.
Put screws back in.

poor you i hate hp

but
A)not all have screw covers
B)you make it sound like so much work when ive done it enough times to say its 15minuts at most for a person whos never done it
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 01 Oct 2009, 11:02

Lorithad wrote:Actually, its more like:
Pop off screw covers
Remove drive tray
insert drive tray.
Put screws back in.

Or, if it's a Macbook, throw it away, and buy a new one. Modular/easy upgrade construction isn't in Apples vocab.

I know, I know, I said I wouldn't talk smack about Macs anymore. But the past few weeks I've actually had to WORK on them, which I thought would lessen my hatred of them as I came to better understand them. All it's done is make me go "wtf? I haven't exagerating all these years?!"
-Wraith
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 01 Oct 2009, 11:05

MarkVI wrote:If all you want the laptop for is the internet, then get a netbook. You can buy a decent one brand new for $300.

I hate netbooks. They're cool for a few things, but in general, they just make me feel like an ogre. They keyboard's too big to use my thumbs and too small to use my giant-assed hands. It makes me wanna just smash it while shouting "RAAAAGH! WRAITH SMASH PUNY NETBOOK!" like some kind of gamma-powered monster.
-Wraith
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 01 Oct 2009, 12:42

My brother got a netbook recently, and I've had larger/easier to use PDA keyboards. Then again, I also preferred the original xbox controllers, and can't stand the newer mini ones.

When it comes to Macs, I had to use in Media Pro, and the only advantage to them that I could find was the greenscreening in Final Cut was better than in Premiere. Which was completely undercut by the lack of functionality elsewhere.

That's neither here or there though. Replacing laptop hard drives is no more difficult than doing it on a desktop.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Oct 2009, 12:47

Wraith wrote:Or, if it's a Macbook, throw it away, and buy a new one. Modular/easy upgrade construction isn't in Apples vocab.

Haha, yeah, good thing my iBook's been going strong for four years now. Macs are for us that are averse to things like this thread.

Replace a hard drive? Whaaaaaa...!?
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 01 Oct 2009, 13:27

gcninja wrote:poor you i hate hp

but
A)not all have screw covers
B)you make it sound like so much work when ive done it enough times to say its 15minuts at most for a person whos never done it

I hate HP too. Hated them before I started working for them. Probably started to hate them even more once I started working for them. But those times are long over now. So I hate them just as much as any OEM.

As far as netbooks go, I bought one of the first generation Asus eeePCs. 4GB solid state hard drive baby. I've had it for about a year and a half now. And aside from the one stuck pixel on the screen, I haven't had any problems with it at all. Sure, i've had to relearn how to type on it. And sure, I wish that i'd have waited to get the slightly larger screen, as 800x480 resolution sucks ass. But it's still great for web surfing, email, music, and word processing. Which is exactly what I bought it for.
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 01 Oct 2009, 13:33

The problem with a netbook is that with being so small, it's bound to be a strain on my eyes and as such, yet another migraine-trigger I don't need. Besides, I sort of doubt I could play WoW on it. Believe me. I've been without WoW since last weekend while I wait for my parents to sort out the crap with their credit card and I'm half gone insane. It's definitely a deciding factor.

I have a friend who is always working with computers, so I imagine he could put a new hard drive in for me in no time. I'll have to ask him about this whole solid hard drive thing and see if he can't get me one and put it in for me.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 01 Oct 2009, 13:44

Speaking as a guy who is often called for things like that, can you change the batteries on a remote control? If so, you are fully qualified to change the hard drive in your laptop. If not, how the hell did you manage to get on the internet?
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 01 Oct 2009, 15:28

Master Gunner wrote:Speaking as a guy who is often called for things like that, can you change the batteries on a remote control? If so, you are fully qualified to change the hard drive in your laptop. If not, how the hell did you manage to get on the internet?

It's not so much not being able to do it as it is, y'know, being afraid I'd break it.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 01 Oct 2009, 15:31

I highly doubt you're any more at risk of breaking it than I or your friend would be. They're not something you want to drop, but most computer parts aren't exactly china.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Oct 2009, 15:32

COMPUTERS ARE SCARY

IS THAT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

Return to “General Discussion”