A+ Certification

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

A+ Certification

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 30 Sep 2009, 18:44

Ive noticed lately that most members of the forums know their way around the inside of a computer. I was wondering if anyone has taken any A+ Certification classes or tests.

If you don't know what A+ Cert is its a PC hardware, operating system, and maintenance certification. It is very useful if you are looking into a technology related field.

I have taken Aries version of the certification, there is also CompTIA version that is basically the same thing.

You don't have to attend a class to get the certifications either, with CompTIA you can just take the test but there is a fee.

Has anyone else taken A+?
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: A+ Certification

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Sep 2009, 18:55

I haven't taken A+ certification yet, although I probably will at some point. I am currently taking a CS degree though.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 30 Sep 2009, 18:55

I took A+ in high school in 2002. Supposedly I was in the first A+ class in a high school ever. I never actually took the cert, but I was among the highest scores in my class. Also took Server+, CCNA, and CCNP. Would have taken MCSE, but there was a conflict in scheduling in my final year.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 30 Sep 2009, 19:03

Ill be taking A+ classes until I graduate (2012) so I should be able to get all the certifications available before I graduate, then ill take CS classes in college.

Can't wait till I finish Networking+ I get to take a Linux course.
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 30 Sep 2009, 19:46

It's my impression that the Something+ certifications are only really useful if you are trying to get the sort of job the certifications are training you for, like technician level stuff. If you are going to get a CS degree from a respectable university then your time is better spent learning things that will help you in university. That being said the Linux course you mention is very valuable. Also the content of the + certifications are still fairly useful to know, its just the getting certified part that you don't necessarily have to do/pay for.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 30 Sep 2009, 19:59

Well ive heard that certs are just as if not more useful than college, but thats jsut what ive heard. Ive been looking to take CompTia for A+ and N+ for networking. but thats just me. still will be a few years off
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
nebelm

Postby nebelm » 30 Sep 2009, 21:23

I did a good deal with computer hardware and maintenance in high school, but never bothered acquiring A+ certification. I'm in college now working toward a Computer Science degree, and if your chosen college's curriculum is anything like mine, hardware doesn't come into things too much. Knowing your way around the different operating systems is certainly useful though, as jtaylor mentioned with Linux. I'm not sure how much an A+ certification will help if you already have a CS degree when it comes time to look for a job, but it certainly can't hurt.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 30 Sep 2009, 22:00

Fun fact: I am an MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) in Windows 2000 Professional.

I am also pretty sure that the last time I actually used Windows 2000 Professional was my certification test. Yay for useless bits of paper!
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 30 Sep 2009, 22:06

Reminds me of every math class I took in High School.
CygnusX1

Postby CygnusX1 » 01 Oct 2009, 05:26

jtaylor wrote:It's my impression that the Something+ certifications are only really useful if you are trying to get the sort of job the certifications are training you for, like technician level stuff. If you are going to get a CS degree from a respectable university then your time is better spent learning things that will help you in university. That being said the Linux course you mention is very valuable. Also the content of the + certifications are still fairly useful to know, its just the getting certified part that you don't necessarily have to do/pay for.

I agree. If you are getting a CS degree in all likelihood you would not be doing pc repair or tech support. To get an A+ cert on top of a CS degree would be a more hobbyist decision rather than professional.
we sometimes catch a window, a glimpse of what's beyond
http://www.underaglassmoon.wordpress.com
goat

Postby goat » 01 Oct 2009, 05:46

Paul wrote:Fun fact: I am an MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) in Windows 2000 Professional.

I am also pretty sure that the last time I actually used Windows 2000 Professional was my certification test. Yay for useless bits of paper!

Ah, but they're useless bits of paper that look good on a resume.
Link

Postby Link » 01 Oct 2009, 08:57

Took the tests back when I was 15. It's just a $500 line on my resume.

None of my employers have even bothered verifying if I am certified, so I probably could have saved a bunch of money.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 01 Oct 2009, 09:43

I am A+ certified. I was SO thrilled the day I got it. Two years later I was still working security at a warehouse store. Comptia certs and three bucks will get you cup of coffee. Go for your MCSE.
-Wraith
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 01 Oct 2009, 10:40

The schools around here are demanding that all tech teachers around here take the Cisco certification course, at their own expense, and with absolutely no benefit to the teachers or the schools.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 01 Oct 2009, 13:33

That seems...very pointless. I'm all for requiring teachers to have a basic understanding of the technology they use every day. But cisco? Having taken it, I know full well that it won't do your average user much good at all.

That was such a dry class.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 01 Oct 2009, 15:23

I took A+ certification back in hih school, along with a good majority of the Cisco classes. Overall, they did prove helpful in getting temporary work. Upon moving back to the US, I saved my school from a variety of virus and networking nightmares, that eventually landed me a position doing tech support for them until I left Minnesota to go to college.

It's been very helpful to get work by proving that you have an A+ certification. The MCP thing (which I also took), proved to be less helpful overall. I'm currently working at my dorm doing tech support as well, so it's definitely something that'll help you get a summer job a bit nicer than flipping burgers (which I also did...)

I worked a lot of weird places come to think of it...
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 02 Oct 2009, 13:27

I do want to stress the point that its not the A+ knowledge that is unimportant, it is getting certified. I know enough of A+ to pass the test and that knowledge has helped me a lot.

Return to “General Discussion”