Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Oct 2009, 02:08

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8298580.stm

Not bad for someone who has been in power for less than a year. Well done. Now, if all peace was this easy.

In other news Sarkozy wins it for Economics, I'm not entirely sure why, I think it should go to the Australian PM (I might be wrong), I'm sure he was the first to get his country out of the recession by giving everyone AU$400 (I have a colleague at work who is an Aussie citizen and was given the money even though he lives in Wales.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Re: Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 09 Oct 2009, 02:11

I'm seriously thinking he's some sort of hypnotic being right about now. Mind control.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Oct 2009, 02:15

If it works it works. If the health reforms come through then we will have prove he has hypnotic super power. It must be something to do with his ability to speak with a soothing tone.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 09 Oct 2009, 04:22

Okay. What?

I really like B.O. and all, and he's a fantastic orator. And, yes, he's 'pursuing significant peace initiatives' and all, but...

...maybe we should wait until he's accomplished something first? Hammered out a peace treaty or an accord?

We give out the (arguably) highest honour in the world for planning and promising to do something, but not actually doing it yet?

I'm kinda with Mimm on the mass hypnosis; guess I'm afflicted, too. :?

...but this also makes me wonder - how close was the rest of the world from ganging up on 'Shrub's America'? Getting this guy in might've averted a global conflict? ;)
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 09 Oct 2009, 04:23

Mad Madam Mimm wrote:I'm seriously thinking he's some sort of hypnotic being right about now. Mind control.

Read this if you've got some time.

I'm only going to say that the used car salesman that is Obama does NOT deserve that.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 09 Oct 2009, 04:30

Elomin Sha wrote:I think it should go to the Australian PM (I might be wrong), I'm sure he was the first to get his country out of the recession by giving everyone AU$400 (I have a colleague at work who is an Aussie citizen and was given the money even though he lives in Wales.

typical. i didn't get shit because i'm unemployed. makes sense.
on topic: bollocks.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Oct 2009, 04:36

Sorry masamune.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 09 Oct 2009, 04:41

empath wrote:Okay. What?

I really like B.O. and all, and he's a fantastic orator. And, yes, he's 'pursuing significant peace initiatives' and all, but...

...maybe we should wait until he's accomplished something first? Hammered out a peace treaty or an accord?

We give out the (arguably) highest honour in the world for planning and promising to do something, but not actually doing it yet?

These were my first four thoughts, almost exactly.

Then I remembered that the Nobel prize awarding committee is a politically motivated joke.

If you look at the list of people who get the prizes, especially the Peace prize, it's almost NEVER who it should be.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Oct 2009, 05:21

Yeah, what? I'm just... wha? At a loss for this.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 09 Oct 2009, 05:25

AlexanderDitto wrote:If you look at the list of people who get the prizes, especially the Peace prize, it's almost NEVER who it should be.

You'll pardon me if I don't believe you're the ultimate source on who should win a Nobel Peace Prize. Can you make a definitively more convincing case for anyone else nominated this year? I'd love to hear it. No one ever said the Nobel Committee wasn't political. By its very nature, the Nobel Peace Prize is political.

Obama was just as surprised as everyone else, I'm sure. His presidency may not be even a year old, but the decision to halt the planned nuclear missile shield in Poland is huge in international politics and worthy of a Peace Prize on its own. It's the first time the Russians have ever given a hint that they may be interested in putting pressure on Iran to shelve their nuclear weapons programs.

The Obama administration says the decision wasn't politically motivated to improve relations with an increasingly hard-line Russia, but the Kremlin certainly seems to feel appreciative even of eastern Europe does not. Keeping Russia active in the international community and tone down their belligerence could be very important while the world economy awaits recovery.

From what I understand, there was no clear front-runner this year which is always the best time to give a nudge to a dark horse candidate. Of all the candidates nominated, however, it was given to Obama because of the publicity for both him and the Nobel committee. That said, he's not undeserving even this early in his administration.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 09 Oct 2009, 05:38

You mean Ig-nobel, right?
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 09 Oct 2009, 05:59

empath wrote:Okay. What?

Pretty much my thoughts when I heard. Or to actually quote myself: "*facepalm*".

I can understand why he might be in the running for it, but he shouldn't have run it this year. Maybe next year when he's actually something (or enough smaller things) to actually warrant the award.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 09 Oct 2009, 06:16

I heard this on the radio almost as soon as I woke up. . . and I wasn't sure if it was nothing more than a very realistic dream. My first response: 'Whaaaaaaat?' I mean, I do like Obama, but, y'know, [what everyone else said].

Oh well, at least it will be interesting to see the fallout.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
goat

Postby goat » 09 Oct 2009, 06:29

CNN wrote:Some analysts have speculated that the prize could give Obama additional clout as he forms a strategy for the war in Afghanistan and attempts to engage Iran and North Korea. Another senior administration official told CNN he hopes the White House can "use it for the positive."

Further down:
CNN wrote:The committee wanted to be "far more daring" than in recent times and make an impact on global politics, said Kristian Berg Harpviken, director of the International Peace Research Institute.

That sounds like pretty legit reasoning. Interesting, though, is the timeline of the nomination and awards process compared to where he was.

I think it may have been a little premature (especially considering how bad he's fumbling around right now), but if it was done for political reasons, well I guess I can back that.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/10/09/nobel.peace.prize/index.html

ps. I would LOVE to see Glenn Beck's face when he hears this news.
Arius

Postby Arius » 09 Oct 2009, 06:42

Gotta love the crazy.

---

Anyway, the Nobel Peace Prize has often been given to people based on their efforts rather than their successes. I think it's fair to say that Obama has made an effort. The biggest hurdle right now is Congress. The democrats aren't used to being in power, so they're still letting the republicans call the shots. At least that's the only reason I can come up with for it.

I agree that giving him the prize was definitely premature. But I wonder how many people are going to say bad things about Obama because he won it. "Obama shouldn't have gone our and won the Nobel Prize. This is why we should impeach him. He's stealing away from people who have worked their whole lives to create peace."

You might think it's crazy to believe that people would do that, but you'd be surprised.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 09 Oct 2009, 07:29

As for hypnosis: Professional hypnotists have failed to get me to do simple things (while having great effects on others). Admittedly, it was part of a group thing, so on a more individual basis he'd likely have had more effect. I tried to go along with it, and I could recognize what he was doing, but my mind just wasn't responding to it.

Its the same thing when hearing Obama speak (and perhaps to a lesser extent, Clinton and other professional speakers I've listened to), including many of the same techniques (again, used by most good speakers). I can recognize how they're trying to influence the audience (which is what you want to do when you give a speech), but a part of my mind is always detached and looking at it from a cynical "outside" point of view, which prevents me from just enjoying a speech or getting swept up in the hysteria. I could tell from fairly early on in the election that Obama was going to win (even though I didn't support him), just because of how he spoke and how he interacted with his audience.

He's an amazing orator, but I can't help being cynical when listening to him.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Oct 2009, 07:40

Cynical or critical though?

Obama IS a gifted orator - but I remain critical of a lot of his viewpoints and actions. Though I support his attempts to get universal health coverage (finally) for Americans, I think he has gone about it the wrong way (even though the momentum may be swinging in his direction). Furthermore, during his campaign I was opposed to a lot of his protectionist rhetoric, but now it seems it was oversold.
steelfox

Postby steelfox » 09 Oct 2009, 07:52

My thoughts were: At least he's trying to do something about peace not just throwing a dart at his "My first world map" and making an enemy out of whatever country it hit.

Also, Barak himself said it's undeserved.

ALL HAIL HYPNO-BAMA!
Matt wrote:AND IF SHE'S DEAD SHE CAN'T SAY NO.

-M
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 09 Oct 2009, 08:38

I kinda saw this coming.

I mean, right now what competition does he have?
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 09 Oct 2009, 08:39

I was unconvinced of his worthiness for it at first. Mostly for the same reasons as everybody else, lets wait to see the results of his plans first.

But then I heard him saying that he didn't deserve it and thought, well in that case maybe he does a bit.

And you're right, the Nobel committee for peace does tend to be highly motivated by politics. But that doesn't take away the fact that he won it, and will almost certainly deserve one at some point, so lets call it a pre-emptive win and leave it at that.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Arius

Postby Arius » 09 Oct 2009, 08:42

Lyinginbedmon wrote:I mean, right now what competition does he have?

I haven't killed anyone yet, and I live in an area where people think traffic laws are more like vague suggestions.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 09 Oct 2009, 09:12

Barack Obama wrote:"To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize, men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace."

So yeah, when the man himself doesn't think he should have won it, it makes sense that a lot of other people would think the same way.

Still, I have no idea who else was even in the running, so I can't say if it was deserved or not. Maybe it was just a lousy year for peace.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Oct 2009, 09:13

From the CBC;

Zimbabwe's Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, Colombian Senator Piedad Cordoba, Chinese dissident Hu Jia, French-Colombian politician Ingrid Betancourt and Afghan women's rights activist Simi Samar were considered key contenders for the prize.

Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 09 Oct 2009, 09:33

I'm going to have to agree with President Obama that I don't believe that he deserves the award. Not because I think he's a bad person, but because I think there needs to be more time given towards looking at his efforts. He's certainly made some good steps towards highly peaceful goals, however, he's got three more years of this term.

So, what I'm saying, is that I think he's on the path to deserving it, but only time will tell. I can only hope that, as analysts are speculating, this becomes a boon to him and his administration as he moves forward with his foreign and domestic policies.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Oct 2009, 10:07

"Hey guys I just won the Peace Nobel! Who wants MORE TROOPS IN AFGHANISTAN!!?"

*YAAAAAAAYYYYYY*

Return to “General Discussion”