Your ideal nerf weapon

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Re: Your ideal nerf weapon

Postby Alja-Markir » 15 Oct 2009, 18:16

~Alja~
Last edited by Alja-Markir on 15 Oct 2009, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 15 Oct 2009, 18:18

Yes, the nite finder.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Bruze&Badder

Postby Bruze&Badder » 15 Oct 2009, 18:27

Nerf anti-personnel & anti-vehicle mine field. With cake in the middle. You want it. Caaaaake. Go get it.
<---- AVATAR IN VIOLATION OF GOOD TASTE LAW 603-Z4
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 16 Oct 2009, 04:21

Clearly, what we all need is a Nerf Death Star. Only, like, a proper Death Star with none of that exhaust port bullshit.

Failing that, a Nerf Gundam would be sweet. Big-ass nerf cannon - check, big-ass nerf sword - check, ability to fight nerf battles in space - check.
Whitmore
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Whitmore » 16 Oct 2009, 04:40

Nerf Gravity Gun.

...Wait
The answer to everything is always tubes.
TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You:"He's the kind that completes me.. he is a best friend for life... that's what kind he is"
Hottie:"OMFG UR SEW IN TOUCH WITH FEELINGS. I WANT UR PENIS IN ME NOW"
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 16 Oct 2009, 04:42

A gravity gun that can only pick up nerf would actually be pretty fun.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 16 Oct 2009, 08:49

Or a gravity gun made of nerf would be light.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

Highlander
First Video: Mecha Jackson

Postby Highlander » 17 Oct 2009, 04:00

my plan is to create 4 nerf FFAR's with like a 500psi air tank behind them as you come close to me you are hit by a cloud of darts travelling nearly as fast as real bullets.
Joshua
First Video: Dont remember

Postby Joshua » 17 Oct 2009, 04:25

A nerf ICBM looks like a big nerf dart and explodes sending waves of tiny foam bits for miles.
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 17 Oct 2009, 04:37

A NERF potlid?
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 17 Oct 2009, 04:38

What was that weapon in the Lensmen that throw stars? That one, but Nerfified.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 17 Oct 2009, 04:59

Alja-Markir wrote:Image

~Alja~

Yes. YES! YES!

Or a Nerf Harrier or Nerf Spitfire.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 17 Oct 2009, 14:54

Highlander wrote:my plan is to create 4 nerf FFAR's with like a 500psi air tank behind them as you come close to me you are hit by a cloud of darts travelling nearly as fast as real bullets.

As an avid player of paintball, I say good luck with that.

The fastest i've been able to clock a paintball was around 430 feet per second. That was using my A5 and a 3000 PSI air tank. 4500 PSI air tanks are available, but the regulators on them let out less air to account for the change in pressure. Also, nobody would fill it if you messed with the regulator.

A bullet will go much faster than that (slowest one I could find was a .38 Special @ 600 fps )

So given that a paintball is much more aerodynamic than any existing nerf projectile, I doubt you'd ever get the nerf to travel anywhere near 600 fps before air resistance kicks in and throws it all over the place.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 17 Oct 2009, 16:38

Nerf Union Tactical Defense HAWC!
G-NOME was awesome. 8)
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 17 Oct 2009, 17:12

GreigKM, I don't suppose you know where I can pick a copy of that game up? I remember playing it AGES ago at an old friend's place and I loved it. Never found a copy I could call my own.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
Highlander

Postby Highlander » 18 Oct 2009, 11:51

Lorithad wrote:
Highlander wrote:my plan is to create 4 nerf FFAR's with like a 500psi air tank behind them as you come close to me you are hit by a cloud of darts travelling nearly as fast as real bullets.

The fastest i've been able to clock a paintball was around 430 feet per second. That was using my A5 and a 3000 PSI air tank. 4500 PSI air tanks are available, but the regulators on them let out less air to account for the change in pressure. Also, nobody would fill it if you messed with the regulator.

A bullet will go much faster than that (slowest one I could find was a .38 Special @ 600 fps )

So given that a paintball is much more aerodynamic than any existing nerf projectile, I doubt you'd ever get the nerf to travel anywhere near 600 fps before air resistance kicks in and throws it all over the place.

tis still a work in progress but these sort of things will be worked out in the refinement process
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 18 Oct 2009, 17:42

Well, if and when you do figure it out, I demand video goodness.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 18 Oct 2009, 20:25

Highlander wrote:
Lorithad wrote:

tis still a work in progress but these sort of things will be worked out in the refinement process

How could you fix the fact that a nerf dart would suffer from air resistance so fast it would probably only land 10m away? Cause they're light as hell. And porous as hell. Also, I think the amount of impulse you'd put on a dart would make it explode. Because of the hole in it you see. If a real scientist like Lord Chrusher wants to contradict me then go ahead.
Last edited by Gordon Fearman on 18 Oct 2009, 22:11, edited 2 times in total.

Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 18 Oct 2009, 20:26

nerf mortar. arc large payloads of darts to land on the heads of my opponents.

And i thought i was the only one who knew the Maverick drinking game.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 19 Oct 2009, 03:30

Gordon Fearman wrote:How could you fix the fact that a nerf dart would suffer from air resistance so fast it would probably only land 10m away? Cause they're light as hell. And porous as hell. Also, I think the amount of impulse you'd put on a dart would make it explode. Because of the hole in it you see. If a real scientist like Lord Chrusher wants to contradict me then go ahead.

I imagine he'd learn the flaw of using pre-made nerf darts fairly quickly. I pictured darts using the slightly more dense foam that they make their ball projectiles out of.

I still think they could get more than 10m away. Depending on how much acceleration time they have, and what type of foam he does end up using, and the construction of the barrel in the launcher.

What I really think we need for this discussion, is Paul wearing the lab coat.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 19 Oct 2009, 05:50

Darts, esp. homemade ones, can easily do 100 - 200 ft.

Consult the experts, but be warned, there's a lot of uppity 12-year-olds there; http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?act=home
Highlander

Postby Highlander » 19 Oct 2009, 07:52

my plan was to create them using a denser foam and small plastic weights to keep them stable
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 19 Oct 2009, 07:57

The general plan is foam backing rod you can get at any Home Depot (or whatever) and some kind of weight (fishing weights, steel slingshot ammo, and small washers have all been used) plus hot glue. The FBR needs to be cut into lengths (1.5 in. is considered ideal) and heat treated to straighten. Put the lengths in a pillowcase, close it, and put in dryer for a cycle. That should do it.

They're called "Stefans" and you can look up methods and materials on the site I posted.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 21 Oct 2009, 18:46

Lorithad wrote:GreigKM, I don't suppose you know where I can pick a copy of that game up? I remember playing it AGES ago at an old friend's place and I loved it. Never found a copy I could call my own.

I actualy got a copy from Amazon, I'm almost positive it's 'abandonware' now, so it's probobly online. Suprisingly it runs on Win7 x64, can't say the same about Riven and Sim Tower :(
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Highlander

Postby Highlander » 04 Nov 2009, 09:57

nerf has gone a bit out of the window

but a paint ball gunship is still on the horizon

Return to “General Discussion”