The Big Relationship Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Re: The Big Relationship Thread

Postby JustAName » 14 Sep 2014, 16:22

Focus on the person's flaws. Are they arrogant? Do they do annoying things? Find something you dislike about them and focus on how much you'd hate to put up with it. Magnify it in your head. You'll get over them.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Sep 2014, 02:41

With me, I have a crush on someone that is still quite strong and I get sad from time to time. What I do is distract myself from time to time.
I'm not a fan of finding flaws and exaggerating them in my head.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Sep 2014, 03:38

Time away is helpful. And be prepared to wait. You will get over it eventually.

I had a deep affection for someone that ended messily for me. They were unscathed. I don't think they were aware. But I had to realise that they weren't that great. I suppose it's the flaws things. But they had bad flaws. I was in love with the idea of them, but not them as a person. So realising that helped me. Though it turned into frustration that we didn't remain friends. I wanted to, but they distanced themselves. This gave anger.

Only a few weeks ago when "I found God" that I got over that.
Sadly "finding God" is the most useless piece of advice to give someone. It's true, but it's as useful as "Get over it". It's not constructive. In fact with me, it's almost boastful to people who are not Christian. Kinda annoying.
-
Perhaps focusing on what you do have as oppose to what you don't have or wish you had might help? I'm trying to practise this with regards to a close friend being many many miles apart. It's challenging.

But maybe just spendinga little time every day thinking about the friends and family you do have will help a little bit?

Certainly a less destructive way of basically judging the person you were really into and mentally tearing them down from a plynth.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 15 Sep 2014, 04:09

My loneliness has been biting particularly aggressively over the last few weeks. Not sure why now in particular. Maybe I just need to wait till everyone's back from uni.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Balthasar_Wiseman
First Video: ENN Episode 1 Nerd Flu

Postby Balthasar_Wiseman » 15 Sep 2014, 07:03

Sorry to hear that Ix, if I had any advice for you I would offer it but I'm at a loss for things to make me feel less lonely most of the time.

Thanks Fayili, Elomin Sha and Merrymaker_Motalis.
I actually had thought I was doing well getting over her but these feelings just don't want to let go. It's probably because I let this crush go on for 8 months that it is sticking with me like this but I'm hurting because a friend of mine piped up with the latest gossip and told me who her boyfriend is and it just ripped my heart out. He is someone I've known professionally for a couple of years and having a name and a face on him just made everything seem so fresh.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Sep 2014, 07:07

I know a similar feeling, mine has been for over a year for two people.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 15 Sep 2014, 07:11

The advice I've heard to help getting over someone is to start working out. It helps provide a distraction, and is a useful place to put the energy you'd otherwise use fretting over things.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 15 Sep 2014, 07:15

Master Gunner wrote:The advice I've heard to help getting over someone is to start working out. It helps provide a distraction, and is a useful place to put the energy you'd otherwise use fretting over things.

I think any distraction would do.
Maybe take up a hobby, meet new people, the important thing is to get busy.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 15 Sep 2014, 09:25

Fayili wrote:Focus on the person's flaws. Are they arrogant? Do they do annoying things? Find something you dislike about them and focus on how much you'd hate to put up with it. Magnify it in your head. You'll get over them.

I'm surprised this came from you - this is a particularly bad idea, imo. One that, in my mind, leads down the road to the misogny/PUA hellhole.

Maybe it's just my perspective, being somewhat older with the benefit of having been in a long-term relationship for quite some time now - and having left the days of crushes and angst behind me. But it is far more healthy for one to work on oneself and their emotional maturity.

Initial distraction is a good idea - work out, start a hobby, hand out with friends (or find some new ones), play games, etc. After a while, though, you may have to come to a few realizations.

- That the other person is their own person, capable of making their own decisions, choices, and opinions.

- That they made their decision about whether or not to engage in a relationship based on information and feelings that may or may not be known to you. And that you must respect it.

- That if they didn't actually *make* a decision (you can't tell whether they knew you wished to have a relationship with them), that responsibility most likely falls on you.

- In the end, understand that they are just one person - as are you - and that sooner or later, if you put yourself out there, someone else will most likely come along.
Balthasar_Wiseman

Postby Balthasar_Wiseman » 15 Sep 2014, 09:42

Metcarfre,
I read Fayili's comment more in the spirit of not putting the person on a pedestal. I really don't want to hate or resent her. I've gotten that way when I was in my teens and twenties and I don't want to be that way anymore. Although I was somehow more outgoing and probably better adjusted (it may be the expectation of a 20 something is different than that of someone in their 30s)

I actually believe all of the things you say and logically I'm on board for it. It isn't a how could she do this to me kind of thing its different I guess it is just a situation where the less I know about her life going forward the better, I just can't stand the feelings that come out of no where and give me that system shock.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 15 Sep 2014, 12:30

Balthasar_Wiseman wrote:Metcarfre,
I read Fayili's comment more in the spirit of not putting the person on a pedestal. I really don't want to hate or resent her. I've gotten that way when I was in my teens and twenties and I don't want to be that way anymore. Although I was somehow more outgoing and probably better adjusted (it may be the expectation of a 20 something is different than that of someone in their 30s)

I actually believe all of the things you say and logically I'm on board for it. It isn't a how could she do this to me kind of thing its different I guess it is just a situation where the less I know about her life going forward the better, I just can't stand the feelings that come out of no where and give me that system shock.

Precisely. Goodness knows I wouldn't recommend hating someone to get over them. It's just how I got over being attracted to one of my roommates last year - for all his attractiveness and intelligence, he's somewhat arrogant, and that can be off-putting. I love him dearly as a friend, but remembering that about him helped me realize that I would be miserable in a relationship with him.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

gcninja

Postby gcninja » 15 Sep 2014, 12:53

So a month into a nice relationship (Girl A) and today we talk, after having somewhat of a religious revelation and trying to go back to her God ways, along comes a talk. A few days ago she said something snapped and she doesn't feel how she felt two weeks ago. A couple weeks ago I informed one friend up in Oregon about this new girl and it went bad, like Girl A thought I'd stay with Oregon girl instead anyway and was really worried. Now two weeks later we're talking and she doesn't feel that way, that there's nothing right now. She says this happens a month into every relationship and she's always ended it. She doesn't want to do that with me right now but rather take a week off and see how it is.

The other part is her religion, she's Catholic, and that she doesn't feel since I am Catholic that we won't have the connection her sister and fiancee have. I told her I'd be there through everything, even waiting for sex til marriage but... Idk. It's been a month, my family knows of her and I feel like ending it now would be also rather embarrassing. I do like her and I'm more emotionally invested in this than she is, we're both aware, but... dammit. I'm so pissed I don't have my new required state ID yet.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Sep 2014, 13:25

I always wonder who would be interested in a relationship with me.

I'd be happy if a girl told me whether they would be interested or if I asked them they would consider one.
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 Sep 2014, 15:05

I always wonder if I'll end up marrying a man or a woman.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 15 Sep 2014, 15:34

What if you don't marry?
Merrymaker_Mortalis

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 16 Sep 2014, 01:49

I'd be really disappointed.

Marriage and a family is a goal of mine.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 16 Sep 2014, 12:34

I have a question.
Almost a month ago I started a new education and in my class there is a girl who i have been talking with alot and also texting with.
I think there have been mild flirting but i am not good at reading people so i am not sure.
Last friday at the bar that is at school on friday, she mentions that she has been seing someone since February but also mentions that they are not boyfriend & girlfriend.
As someone who hasn't had a lot of relationships and generally are bad at reading people i am not sure what to make of this can anybody help?
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Balthasar_Wiseman

Postby Balthasar_Wiseman » 16 Sep 2014, 13:01

Jenelmo
Did she bring up her relationship status or did you ask about it? Was the comment about them being not boyfriend & girlfriend in the same conversation or was it outside of that context?
I would probably be quite hesitant and confused if a girl brought up she had been seeing someone for 7 months but that they aren't boyfriend & girlfriend. But I am terrible at reading situations.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 16 Sep 2014, 13:06

"You've been seeing them for months but don't consider them your boyfriend? How does that work?"
Jenelmo

Postby Jenelmo » 16 Sep 2014, 13:13

She brought it up can't remember what the conversation was about before that, and it was in the same conversation, like almost the next thing she said.
And I have checked facebook to see what she had put her status as but she hasn't filled it out one way or another
Jenelmo

Postby Jenelmo » 16 Sep 2014, 13:17

Metcarfre wrote:"You've been seeing them for months but don't consider them your boyfriend? How does that work?"
I didn't ask at the time and as that is the only time she has mentioned it I am not sure how to ask.
But my only guess is that they are not comfortable with the term boyfriend/girlfriend but i am not sure why
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 16 Sep 2014, 14:24

Sometimes it amazes me how much geeks prefer to work with little-to-no data in the personal realm.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 16 Sep 2014, 14:42

Jenelmo wrote:
Metcarfre wrote:"You've been seeing them for months but don't consider them your boyfriend? How does that work?"
I didn't ask at the time and as that is the only time she has mentioned it I am not sure how to ask.
But my only guess is that they are not comfortable with the term boyfriend/girlfriend but i am not sure why

If I may take a rather crass approach, 'Facebook official or fair game' is a reasonable rule of thumb

EDIT: Assuming, of course, the subject in question is in fact a servant of Zuckerberg
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 16 Sep 2014, 15:31

Some people also take a longer time to feel comfortable to commit a relationship, if she's been seeing a guy since February it might very well be because it's not working out well, but it could just as easily be because both of them want to take it slow, since they have issues with commitment(or maybe just one of them has issues and the other is being respectful).

Either way I have one piece of advice; Respect the situation.
Hurp-De-Durp!
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 16 Sep 2014, 19:02

Deedles wrote:Some people also take a longer time to feel comfortable to commit a relationship, if she's been seeing a guy since February it might very well be because it's not working out well, but it could just as easily be because both of them want to take it slow, since they have issues with commitment(or maybe just one of them has issues and the other is being respectful).

Either way I have one piece of advice; Respect the situation.

This. So much

My piece of advice: stay at bay for now. Girls say a lot of things just to share, commeting about her personal life doesn't neccesarily mean she's into you or leading you on.

Return to “General Discussion”