The Big Relationship Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Matt
LRR Crew

Re: The Big Relationship Thread

Postby Matt » 21 Jan 2012, 16:25

Well, no.

But it was an unpleasant surprise

-m

I am not angry at you.
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 21 Jan 2012, 16:35

Ah, nobody informed me of that one, and nobody on my facebook has had such a status. What is it about? How do you pick the city and duration?

The first one was about bras so it made sense in some way. At this point it's just weird. But the point is to get people to wonder what's going on and therefore to get people talking about breast cancer. It's a hype thing.

Sorry it scared you, Matt.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 21 Jan 2012, 19:07

WHY DO WE NEED BREAST CANCER AWARENESS ANYMORE? ARE WE STILL UNAWARE OF IT'S EXISTENCE?
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 21 Jan 2012, 19:13

What is a breast?

In other news: people say being in a relationship is hard. I seriously think these people are fucking idiots. Life is so much simpler for me than all you single people. I wake up, know I love aubergine, go through my day loving aubergine, go to sleep loving aubergine (dream about "loving" aubergine AND a random alien lesbian chick who is very, very handsy with everyone), and repeat.

None of this "not sure" crap, or "going slow", or "OMG THE GIRL I LIKE IS LEAVING FOR A YEAR OH GOD!" So simple.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 21 Jan 2012, 19:14

Avistew wrote:Ah, nobody informed me of that one, and nobody on my facebook has had such a status. What is it about? How do you pick the city and duration?

The first one was about bras so it made sense in some way. At this point it's just weird. But the point is to get people to wonder what's going on and therefore to get people talking about breast cancer. It's a hype thing.

Sorry it scared you, Matt.
YEah I don't really see that.

"So Sarah is moving to Kazakhstan for 15 years."
"Yeah, that sucks."
"Mmmm-hmmm."
"Sooooooooo, how about them breast cancers?"

Is that a common conversation segue?
Image Image Image
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 21 Jan 2012, 19:14

The only hard part for me is the distance. The rest is sunshine and buttercups.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 21 Jan 2012, 19:35

Experience has taught me not to trust anything that seems certain, but I try to relax.

The Dude abides, y'know?
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 21 Jan 2012, 21:13

Nothing is ever certain, but at the same time, many things are much more certain that others.

~Alja~
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 21 Jan 2012, 22:46

Sieg Reyu wrote:YEah I don't really see that.

"So Sarah is moving to Kazakhstan for 15 years."
"Yeah, that sucks."
"Mmmm-hmmm."
"Sooooooooo, how about them breast cancers?"

Is that a common conversation segue?

No, I'm pretty sure the plan is more along the line of:

"what the hell is it with people posting colours/going to countries?"
"I have no clue! I was wondering the same thing"
Add a few hours of wondering to that, and by then some people really want to know.
At that point, they learn it's for breast cancer.

As for the awareness thing, yeah people know about breast cancer, but maybe it's in the hope that they'll donate.

EDIT: about relationships vs being alone, I'm reminded of a quote: "being in a relationship means trying to solve together problems you wouldn't have if you had stayed single".
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 21 Jan 2012, 23:50

No one is going to see something that fucking dumb and be like "HMM! guess I'll donte some money because Kara totally fooled me by saying she was moving to China for 3 months and got all her friends to post concerned messages on her status!" There are specific events or triggers that lead to people donating money and this is not a successful one. If it's in hope that they donate, please, for the love of God, post information and links. Not a colour, not a lie about a far away place, not a favourite recipe mixed in with the name of your first pet. Do something productive. All these people. All of my hate.

The proper way to get people to donate is to cut out all this awareness bullshit now and do some honest to goodness down and dirty fundraising. I have successfully made over $30,000 with 3 other girls for Breast Cancer in the past few years by APPLYING myself and not throwing around a fluffy facebook status or the word awareness ONCE. You could probably combine all the money that was EVER raised by this type of fillipant half assed self proclaimed awareness fad and not even touch that total.

It's sort of kinda of EXACTLY like Vouluntourism. Grahams rant gave me a boner. So. True. So. Painfully. True.

Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 22 Jan 2012, 00:42

I don't know. It's not exactly like voluntourism. Voluntourism is generally more motivated by the desire to improve one's horizons through the experience of kind-of-not-really helping.

This sort of thing... well, it's slacktivism. People patting themselves on the back for helping when they've exerted only a very small amount of effort and done a minimum amount of help - if any.

And really, if you feel daunted by the idea or you feel like you don't have the time to commit to organizing mass fundraising efforts, that doesn't mean you're a bad person or that you can't help - if you want to, there are smaller ways to contribute (support someone else's fundraising effort, donate money, spread a bit of information about upcoming events, self-examination, and so forth).
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 22 Jan 2012, 02:48

soooooooo, back on topic

Girlfriend get! confirming what pretty much all of our friends already were aware of :D

*Happy Dance*
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
WBAGNR

Postby WBAGNR » 22 Jan 2012, 03:12

Becoming facebook official any time soon, or not?
iamafish wrote:copping a feel is just the gentlemanly thing to do

My travel blog
Yoshi_Gal
First Video: Unskippable 01. On The Escapist.

Postby Yoshi_Gal » 22 Jan 2012, 03:13

Avistew wrote:EDIT: about relationships vs being alone, I'm reminded of a quote: "being in a relationship means trying to solve together problems you wouldn't have if you had stayed single".

This. This so hard right now.
I don't have a lot of friends, just my fans. And they are all I need.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 22 Jan 2012, 04:11

theDreamer wrote:What is a breast?

That's my line.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 22 Jan 2012, 06:53

TheRocket wrote:No one is going to see something that fucking dumb and be like "HMM! guess I'll donte some money because Kara totally fooled me by saying she was moving to China for 3 months and got all her friends to post concerned messages on her status!" There are specific events or triggers that lead to people donating money and this is not a successful one. If it's in hope that they donate, please, for the love of God, post information and links. Not a colour, not a lie about a far away place, not a favourite recipe mixed in with the name of your first pet. Do something productive. All these people. All of my hate.

The proper way to get people to donate is to cut out all this awareness bullshit now and do some honest to goodness down and dirty fundraising. I have successfully made over $30,000 with 3 other girls for Breast Cancer in the past few years by APPLYING myself and not throwing around a fluffy facebook status or the word awareness ONCE. You could probably combine all the money that was EVER raised by this type of fillipant half assed self proclaimed awareness fad and not even touch that total.

It's sort of kinda of EXACTLY like Vouluntourism. Grahams rant gave me a boner. So. True. So. Painfully. True.
It would be one thing of within a little while it was coupled with something like "JK Guys. But you know how upsety you were to find out I was leaving? Think how you would feel if I was gone for good. Breast cancer takes away x amount of people blah blah blah."

But NO! In my experience, all the people treat it as a game, or some sort of big secret and if you ask about it, they won't tell you. HOW IS IT SUPPOSED TO RAISE AWARENESS WHEN YOU REFUSE TO MAKE PEOPLE AWARE?!?!?!?! RRRRRRRAAAAGGGGHHH *brainspolsion*

Also, dudes totally get breast cancer to, so excluding them is kinda sexist. Does no one watch Archer?
Image Image Image
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 22 Jan 2012, 07:18

A friend of mine said that for reasons she wouldn't disclose online she can't be hugged for the next few months...this campaign now makes me wonder...
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 22 Jan 2012, 07:44

Either that or they're dabbeling in extreme asceticism for a few months. It's a fun way to pass the time.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 22 Jan 2012, 10:17

Duckay wrote:I don't know. It's not exactly like voluntourism. Voluntourism is generally more motivated by the desire to improve one's horizons through the experience of kind-of-not-really helping.

This sort of thing... well, it's slacktivism. People patting themselves on the back for helping when they've exerted only a very small amount of effort and done a minimum amount of help - if any.

And really, if you feel daunted by the idea or you feel like you don't have the time to commit to organizing mass fundraising efforts, that doesn't mean you're a bad person or that you can't help - if you want to, there are smaller ways to contribute (support someone else's fundraising effort, donate money, spread a bit of information about upcoming events, self-examination, and so forth).

This this this this this this I love you so much, this.

Srs. And SiegR, too!

Sorry for the rant. These "facebook awarenes schemes" really are a pet peeve.
Last edited by TheRocket on 22 Jan 2012, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 22 Jan 2012, 10:19

iamafish wrote:soooooooo, back on topic

Girlfriend get! confirming what pretty much all of our friends already were aware of :D

*Happy Dance*

D'awww! Yeeeeeeesssir congrats!

Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 22 Jan 2012, 10:45

I have all the awareness.

Also, still single. But, I'm aware of it.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 22 Jan 2012, 13:25

What gets me about the Facebook awareness campaigns is that it would take exactly the same amount of time to post a status and forward a message saying, "When did you last examine your breasts?" or "Spare a dollar for <charity of choice> today at theIr website <website of choice>".
TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 22 Jan 2012, 13:56

Exactly. Out of these 3 statuses, which do you think would have the least effective connection or capability to make a difference?

"Touch your bewbs. Touch your girlfriends bewbs. It could save your lives."

"I'ma derp-a-herpin to Antarctica for 6 months!"

"Have you had your period this month? Did you know the best time to check your breasts for lumps is a week after your period? THE MORE YOU KNOW"

TheRocket

Postby TheRocket » 22 Jan 2012, 13:58

I guess this thread is for relationships, though. Are we doing updates? I'm still happily married ^.^

WBAGNR

Postby WBAGNR » 22 Jan 2012, 14:00

Woo, go Rocket and Wraith! :)

As per my mega-post yesterday, I'm laying groundwork and seeing where things take me, but if I'm honest, I reckon there's potential in this one :)
iamafish wrote:copping a feel is just the gentlemanly thing to do

My travel blog

Return to “General Discussion”