The Big Relationship Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: The Big Relationship Thread

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Dec 2012, 20:48

I can assure you that you are not alone. Beyond that, I can be of no help as, well, I refer you to your own "0 experience" comment.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 27 Dec 2012, 22:53

I think different people just have different priorities. Right now, you are focused on school presumably, which is a good thing to be focused on.

But the big thing you have to think about is, even if you don't want a relationship now, will you want one later? Do you see yourself with a family or not? If not fine, but if you see yourself with a wife/husband and kids someday, you have to remember that one day it will be "someday" and if you don't do anything between now and then, you will still be alone. There's nothing wrong with that, unless you don't want that, in which case, do something about it.
Image Image Image
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 28 Dec 2012, 04:10

See that's the thing, it's not really a case of priorities. I just don't see the appeal of being in a relationship with someone. Apart from sex that is.

I think it's the case that I've spent so much time on my own socially that I'm used to doing things by myself. Now, don't get me wrong, don't think this as some horrendous sob story and everyone hates me, because that is totally not the case. I would consider myself to have way more people that like me then hate me, in fact I can't think of anyone who does hate me.

Although saying all that, if a nice girl asked ME out, I'd probably say yes. I'm not totally against relationships, I guess you could say I'm not fussed about not having one.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 28 Dec 2012, 04:33

"Emotionally self-sufficient" I think is probably the best way to phrase that, if I'm understanding you correctly.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 28 Dec 2012, 04:40

Haha! That's an awesome way to put it. I'm going to use that next time someone asks me about my lack of girlfriend.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 28 Dec 2012, 06:58

It seems a lot like you're judging yourself - and therefore rating your happiness - by the wrong criteria; you seem to be comparing yourself to what you think the people around you expect of you.

I think you should try and judge yourself by your own criteria; your own standards of happiness. Sure, you may want a relationship. Then again, you may not. To be honest, I'm getting kinda mixed messages about what exactly you want.

Do you actually want a relationship now? Do you only bring that up because your mum thinks you should be in one and you don't, and you're not sure who of the two of you is "right" for the way you're feeling? Are you undecided about whether you want a relationship in the long run, or what?
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 28 Dec 2012, 07:32

It would seem that he's perfectly alright with not being in a relationship, and therefore has little reason to pursue one, but would not object to being in one. He is as I defined "emotionally self-sufficient", that doesn't mean he's as happy as he could possibly be, just that he doesn't need a relationship in order to be happy. His lack of a relationship does not impact on his happiness negatively.
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 28 Dec 2012, 07:39

I'm not looking to be in one, but my mum wants me to be in one.

She keeps mentioning "WHEN" I have children, not "IF" I have them. So y'know, no pressure from my mum or anything like that. : /

At the end of day I'm not really fussed either way if I am or am not in one. I was just wondering if people thought it was weird that I didn't mind being single or being on my own all the time.

EDIT: What Lyinginbedmon said, they've basically summed up exactly what I wanted to say. Huh, maybe I need to hire you as my official spokesperson or something since you say what I want to say, but in a better way. : )

The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 28 Dec 2012, 09:28

Oh ok, fair enough. Well no, it's not weird that you don't mind being single or singular. I suspect that your mother is pressuring you on these things, and not really even concious of her choice of language, because she believes that these things will make you happy.

You could outline the fact that you do not feel you require a relationship to be happy, and that you rather suspect you will never have children, to her. Alternatively, if you have already tried these things, you could tell her to STFU.
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 28 Dec 2012, 11:39

Ohhhh, no. My mum knows exactly what she's saying. And I've told her that I'm happy a million and one times.

And if I told her to STFU, it'd be the last thing I'd ever do. She'd murder me, or at least it would be the equivalent of shooting myself in the foot. What I normally do is just ignore her, but this time I just wondered if she had a point.

AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 28 Dec 2012, 13:20

Reminder her that if she murders you, she is definitely not getting grandkids out of you. :D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 28 Dec 2012, 13:39

I wouldn't put it past her to try and either clone me or re-animate me, and have me in some sort of permanent Chibi-form.

Which is both terrifying and would be a damnation on the world.

Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 28 Dec 2012, 17:47

I'm kind of the same as you, Valkyrie. I mean, I have had relationships, and I am in one, and I am polyamorous, so on the surface I could seem to be your opposite.

But I've never looked for a relationship, or longed for a relationship, in the vague or general sense. I've never thought "man, I'm alone, I wish I was in a relationship instead, I should do something about that". When I was single, I was fine being single. Now that I have a relationship, since I'm polyamorous it's similar in that I'm not longing for a second partner and thinking I should do something about that.

Instead, if I'm interested in a specific person, I pursue it, and if it doesn't work, that sucks, but you know, I don't really care about being alone (or having "only" one boyfriend), I only care that I can't be with that one person I like.

I don't know how old you are and it doesn't really matter, because maybe you're aromantic and will just never be interested in a relationship, or maybe (as cliché as it sounds) you will be interested in a relationship once you meet someone you actually want to be in a relationship with, but I know that compared to a lot of people around me, I was a "late bloomer", since I had my first boyfriend when I was 20, and a lot of people around me dated in school from the time they were 11 or 12 (so not too far from half the age I started).

If you're happy, that's what matters. When someone is alone and miserable because of it, it sucks for them, and I understand that they will try to find someone, but if you are fine the way you are, then just do stuff you enjoy. You might meet someone (and if you do through hobbies, at least you'll have important stuff in common), and you might not, but either way you'll probably have a more satisfied existence than most people, and that means you're luckier than them for working this way :)

Now, for getting your mother to leave you alone, I couldn't help you, I haven't talked to mine in years.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 28 Dec 2012, 18:06

I'm 21 if it's of any interest. Although once I got asked if I was over 16 to buy a lotto ticket, which was kinda flattering I guess.

But thanks for the advice guys, it's made me feel a lot more comfortable with my preferences of relationships(?).

It means I can stick with my, frankly corny and bad, motto of "I'd rather have a friend for a lifetime than a lover for a year." Though I guess you could have a friend for a lifetime that was also your lover for a year, but whatever, that's bring a layer of complexity that's too advanced for that simple (and bad) statement.

ex-Lurker
First Video: 'Skeeterpellant

Postby ex-Lurker » 28 Dec 2012, 19:51

Never let someone else tell you what makes you happy. Maybe letting your mother know that pushing you into a relationship would make you and your partner unhappy would help?
Totally accurate, except for all the times I'm not.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 28 Dec 2012, 22:56

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:I'm 21 if it's of any interest. Although once I got asked if I was over 16 to buy a lotto ticket, which was kinda flattering I guess.

But thanks for the advice guys, it's made me feel a lot more comfortable with my preferences of relationships(?).

It means I can stick with my, frankly corny and bad, motto of "I'd rather have a friend for a lifetime than a lover for a year." Though I guess you could have a friend for a lifetime that was also your lover for a year, but whatever, that's bring a layer of complexity that's too advanced for that simple (and bad) statement.
But that's what a true relationship is. A friend for life who also makes sexy times in bed with you.

I'm going to play devil's advocate for you since no one else will. Twenty years from now, what do you do when you get off work everyday?
Image Image Image
Valkyrie-Lemons

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 29 Dec 2012, 04:16

20 years? I have no idea what I'd be doing in 2 years. But if I had to give an answer I'd just largely do what I do now when I get back from uni every day.

Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 29 Dec 2012, 04:33

20 years from now I expect things will be roughly the same for me, except I'll have to recharge my robotic cat.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 29 Dec 2012, 04:52

And your sweet cybernetic implants.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
ex-Lurker
First Video: 'Skeeterpellant

Postby ex-Lurker » 31 Dec 2012, 14:19

As long the world doesn't go all Deus Ex I'm happy with that.
Totally accurate, except for all the times I'm not.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 31 Dec 2012, 16:01

I dunno, issues aside DXHR still had some pretty sweet cybernetics
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 31 Dec 2012, 16:52

I am totally pro-augmentation!
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wartjr2373 » 01 Jan 2013, 10:11

I remember posting in this thread several years ago, talking about how a girl rejected me. And then again a few months later when that same girl un-rejected me. Thought I'd put a status update.

In relationship for 2+ years. Happy. That is all.
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 01 Jan 2013, 11:08

Yay!
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 02 Jan 2013, 20:48

Does anyone else who's been in an LDR had "don't want to see them if you can't hug them" moods? Sometimes I just don't want to Skype because it'll make it worse, but I feel so guilty because that's unfair.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Return to “General Discussion”