Oh crap. (Need your help, people who do arts and crafts!)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Oh crap. (Need your help, people who do arts and crafts!)

Postby AlexanderDitto » 12 Nov 2009, 19:19

So, I've kind of made an oops.

I've been working on a scarf as part of the Desert Bus Craft-a-long, to donate. It is LRR themed, of course:

But it is not done. And I'm out of black yarn. This is bad! I actually have some black yarn, but it's not the same type, so I need to find some more of this same type of black yarn.

Which I bought at a Michael's craft store.

In Florida.

It's a type of yarn that the little local yarn stores don't carry (I've tried all of them, it's not "fancy" enough for them), so I need big box stores. I called the closest AC Moore to me, and they don't have it in black (just in baby colors, WTF?!). The next closest AC Moore or Michael's or Joann fabrics is 14 miles away... and I have no car. I need to call them before I make the trip, obviously, but can anyone think of any other "big box" stores that might carry yarn? Crafty-type stores, maybe? I didn't even know AC Moore existed until I stumbled upon it (we didn't have any in Florida), so I don't know if there are other stores in Philly (or anywhere, really) that do craft-stuff...

Help! D: I need to get this finished and shipped off before Desert Bus starts, I'm really down to the wire on this.

(Also what do you think of the scarf? :D)

EDIT: Also I should probably mention the scarf is simple because I wanted it to be unisex, something a guy or a girl could use daily, without looking completely goofy. It's really hard to find interesting patterns that work for guys.... so I kind of took a basic pattern and winged the LRR logo. And vertical stripe! Who doesn't love the vertical stripe?
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Re: Oh crap. (Need your help, people who do arts and crafts!)

Postby Timelady » 12 Nov 2009, 19:43

That is one gorgeous scarf. *Sigh* if only I had money for the auction... :(

Quick Google search for yarn shops in Philadelphia came up with 865 results. Does that city have room for anything else?

What's the brand/color name & number/weight?
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 12 Nov 2009, 19:49

walmart carries yarn, especially if its a generic type. If you can't find a place that sells the exact type, you might be able to find a yarn that is the same weight at the specialty shop.

Also what type of yarn is it specifically? I buy so much yarn at michaels and ac moore so I'm just curious
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 12 Nov 2009, 20:03

It's "Red Heart Soft Yarn," 4614 "Black." Worsted Weight, Medium 4.

Normal Red Heart is a horrible yarn, but their "Soft Yarn" is surprisingly soft and not at all crappy like the normal Red Heart. Plus, it's Machine Washable, which is why I picked it.

The blue is a very springy Schulana Supercotton that I picked up at Rosie's Yarn Cellar (first place on that list, Timelady, lol) which while chock full of very interesting, expensive yarns, does not carry the kind of "low end" Red Heart stuff. Also they were kind of not very welcoming to me when I first stopped in... Loop was better, the people were much nicer.

I didn't think of Wal Mart. I'll call them tomorrow, though I wonder if anyone on the floor will bother to check for me... D:

Timelady: that is a brilliant list, why did it never come up with that for me when I searched... I would always only get eight or so options.

Problem is that most of these are little stores that carry only the high end, ritzy, boutique yarns. Mentioning Red Heart in one of these places would be like going to a fine French Restaurant and ordering a Big Mac. D: Honestly, though, most of the yarns they do carry are way overpriced. 14 dollars for a skein?! I am a knitter, not Rumpelstiltskin.

And thank you for the compliment. :oops:
korri

Postby korri » 12 Nov 2009, 20:21

I'm fairly sure Walmart carries the red heart yarn, but I don't know if they have the soft version.

I agree, some of those yarn shops are super overpriced. I use Carron Simply Soft a lot its all nice and soft and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I"m using it to make a baby blanket for my sis, which is why I'm not making anything for desert bus because I would like to finish this blanket before the kid turns 15.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 12 Nov 2009, 20:25

List of Red Heart carriers in Philadelphia. Narrowed down to 92 results! First result is Wal-Mart, btw. Listen to Korri.

AlexanderDitto wrote:why did it never come up with that for me when I searched... I would always only get eight or so options.
Usually under the location results on a google search is a little link that says "More results near X" which brings you to the full page.

...And thank you for the compliment. :)
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 12 Nov 2009, 20:32

I think in general the "soft" versions of inexpensive yarns are pretty OK, since they're not scratchy like the regular types, and they're reasonably priced.

If I remember correctly, last time I was at the only Wal-Mart around here, they only had the regular Red Heart, which I think only old grannies use to knit things for their incosiderate grandchildren. Ach! Such ichiness, and from a cotton yarn, too! It's astounding.

I wish I knew someone in this city who owned a car. I've checked the websites of a bunch of the other small yarn shops in the city, and they're definitely not going to have Red Heart...

TimeLady: That's definitely the map I need (I applaud your Google-Fu! It's better than mine!), but I know Wal-Mart doesn't have the soft type... I've never heard of "Vagabond," so I could try there. Hm. I'm a bit worried, though, Rosie's and Loop are both listed there, and I visited them, they definitely didn't have any Red Heart, unless it was in the back, hidden away or something.

I guess I'll have to go visit yarn stores again, and throw myself upon their mercy. Maybe if I bring my knitting, they won't be so hostile this time... maybe they thought because I'm a guy I couldn't possibly actually be a knitter? :(
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 12 Nov 2009, 20:43

I can throw more support to dealing with Sam Walton's empire - the wife crochets and uses exclusively Red Heart 'Soft Yarn' in her afghans and the like, and whether she was in rural Iowa or here in St. John's, Newfoundland, she'd get what she needed at Wal*Mart.

(You're right about the specific type, tho - it REALLY makes a difference; I've got one on my lap and another over my shoulders like a shawl right now)
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 12 Nov 2009, 21:48

Have you considered just using a different color completely? Not black but maybe the blue again. I'm sure the design wouldn't look bad with a blue bottom, and then maybe add blue to the top as well. Or you could use the blue as a stripe and put your other black on the bottom that way the blacks don't clash. Just a suggestion, if you can't get the right black.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 13 Nov 2009, 04:28

Genghis Ares wrote:Have you considered just using a different color completely? Not black but maybe the blue again. I'm sure the design wouldn't look bad with a blue bottom, and then maybe add blue to the top as well. Or you could use the blue as a stripe and put your other black on the bottom that way the blacks don't clash. Just a suggestion, if you can't get the right black.

THIS is a good, goddamn suggestion! If getting hold of more black seems to be too much work, just simply make a 'second line' of blue that just happens to stretch all the way to the side (end?) of the scarf!

Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 13 Nov 2009, 05:03

That first picture looks like a giant arse wearing a G-String. The pillow gaps are the crack.

Just sayin'
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 13 Nov 2009, 06:56

It does. Thanks for sharing, Unlucky.
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 13 Nov 2009, 21:05

I'm slow off the mark on this one, but I would definitely suggest WalMart as the first place to look for Red Heart. Since you're on Ravelry, you could also search for people who have the right yarn/colour in their stash and ask them if they would be willing to sell and ship rush, better still if they are in your area.

Don't hate the regular Red Heart too much, though. It is good for dolls and other projects where durability is more important than skin feel. (I'm trying not to become a yarn snob...but I'm not sure it's working) :P

The scarf looks great! I love the stripe with LRR logo, really classy.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 14 Nov 2009, 10:48

After DBFH3, I think I may need to commission a few pieces from you all. Granted I tried to learn how to knit, thinking I could knit a house scarf for myself, but I failed miserably (ie can't even get the cast on to work).
korri

Postby korri » 14 Nov 2009, 11:09

If you want to try again, you could always try crocheting. I learned how to do that before I learned how to knit and it seemed a little easier.

tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 14 Nov 2009, 11:12

I know how to crochet already, that's no problem, though all I can make are dishrags.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 14 Nov 2009, 17:23

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I managed to procure two more balls of yarn today. It took an hour train ride and nearly three hours of walking, but I got it.

Wal Mart didn't have any. I called a bunch of stores. No dice, they only have the normal Red Heart. The only place I could find it was a Michaels about 20 miles away, so that's where I went!

Irony? The yarn cost me 5 bucks. The train ride cost me 9 bucks. D:

Chemistring: I never thought of that. I've never knit any dolls (though I really want to after seeing the ones you did of the Warriors) so I didn't really think about that. It's just... so itchy when you put it on your neck! D:

Tak: My knitting skills are nothing special. It's a little challenging at first, but it's definitely worthwhile once you figure it out. Reading books does not help, I haven't found a clear one yet. No, the best way to learn how to knit? Youtube. Actually, this is going to sound crazy, but the videos that finally taught me how to do it? Joycenew's videos. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=joycenew They're all in Mandarine, so I can't understand a word she's saying, and yet she's so clear and concise, you can follow what she's doing, and learn in no time.

Isn't it crazy? I learned how to knit from a Home Ec teacher in CHINA. Holy crap, it's the future.

SO NOW I MUST FINISH MY SCARF SO I CAN MODEL IT AND THEN SEND IT OFF TO CANADAAAAA I mean THE MOOOOOOON.

Thanks for the help, everyone. Except you, Unlucky. Makin' fun of my sofa. :( I love that sofa! I bought it with my own money, it was very expensive. It is very comfortable, and I will not be having people calling it a butt! :x :x :x Lol
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 14 Nov 2009, 17:39

Man, I've never used a scarf in my life, but, I WANT that scarf.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Nov 2009, 17:41

I'm thinking of bidding on it myself.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
korri

Postby korri » 14 Nov 2009, 17:48

youtube does help to teach knitting. I didn't learn that way, but it has taught me new stitches and how to do continental.

You're right, it is the future

jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 14 Nov 2009, 19:14

AlexanderDitto wrote:GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I managed to procure two more balls of yarn today. It took an hour train ride and nearly three hours of walking, but I got it.

Wal Mart didn't have any. I called a bunch of stores. No dice, they only have the normal Red Heart. The only place I could find it was a Michaels about 20 miles away, so that's where I went!

Irony? The yarn cost me 5 bucks. The train ride cost me 9 bucks. D:

Chemistring: I never thought of that. I've never knit any dolls (though I really want to after seeing the ones you did of the Warriors) so I didn't really think about that. It's just... so itchy when you put it on your neck! D:

Tak: My knitting skills are nothing special. It's a little challenging at first, but it's definitely worthwhile once you figure it out. Reading books does not help, I haven't found a clear one yet. No, the best way to learn how to knit? Youtube. Actually, this is going to sound crazy, but the videos that finally taught me how to do it? Joycenew's videos. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=joycenew They're all in Mandarine, so I can't understand a word she's saying, and yet she's so clear and concise, you can follow what she's doing, and learn in no time.

Isn't it crazy? I learned how to knit from a Home Ec teacher in CHINA. Holy crap, it's the future.

SO NOW I MUST FINISH MY SCARF SO I CAN MODEL IT AND THEN SEND IT OFF TO CANADAAAAA I mean THE MOOOOOOON.

Thanks for the help, everyone. Except you, Unlucky. Makin' fun of my sofa. :( I love that sofa! I bought it with my own money, it was very expensive. It is very comfortable, and I will not be having people calling it a butt! :x :x :x Lol

You should have pm'd me about this, I could have made your three hours of walking ten minutes of walking! Sorry I don't read the forums more often. For future reference, there is a Michaels at Willow Grove Mall, not inside the mall but next to it. The Willow Grove train station on the R2 is only a few blocks away from the mall. Unless this Michaels closed in the 4 months since I moved it is the probably the easiest Michaels for you to get to. The Willow Grove Mall was the closest to where I lived, which is why I know this. Also if you need arts and crafts stuff in general there is Pearl on South Street around 4th or 5th, Dick Blick on Chestnut Street between Broad and 13th, and Utrecht on South Broad roughly across the street from the Kimmel Center. Pearl is the biggest of those stores and has a lot more craft stuff than the other two.
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 14 Nov 2009, 19:57

tak197 wrote:I know how to crochet already, that's no problem, though all I can make are dishrags.

Yeah, but just think of a scarf as a really loooooooong dishrag.

If you're really interested in knitting, there are a lot of good videos online that can show you (as other people have already mentioned). I learned from the internet using two chopsticks and a piece of ribbon...while avoiding writing my doctoral thesis. Then I went and bought yarn and actual knitting needles, and it's been downhill from there. :wink:

ETA: Also, don't worry if the physical process of how you knit doesn't look like pictures and videos, just do what's comfortable for you. As long as you get something you like out of it, that's all that counts.

AlexanderDitto, I would have suggested Michaels, but I thought that would have been one of the first place you would have checked. I'm glad you found the yarn, though, that scarf is sweet!
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 15 Nov 2009, 12:09

Chemistring wrote:
AlexanderDitto, I would have suggested Michaels, but I thought that would have been one of the first place you would have checked. I'm glad you found the yarn, though, that scarf is sweet!

Oh, I did, I did, but I thought all the Michaels were too far away for me to get to. Luckily, I found one that was close enough to a train station that I thought I could get there. The walk was a bit longer than I had estimated, though.

jtaylor: Damn, I should have asked. Didn't know there was an R2 station so close to that one.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 15 Nov 2009, 15:45

Okay, so jtaylor and AlexanderDitto are Philly area, Korri is Pittsburgh/Easton, I'm Stroudsburg/Poconos... why have we not figured out a meetup? Aside from the awkwardness, I mean...
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 15 Nov 2009, 20:49

I am also in Pittsburgh, and travel home to Harrisburg for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.

Return to “General Discussion”