Desert Bus – IRC Chat for Dummies (Is it DB6 already?)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Desert Bus – IRC Chat for Dummies (Is it DB6 already?)

Postby ecocd » 13 Nov 2009, 22:22

Hi All!

Edit: Desert Bus 6 is upon us and I'll admit, I haven't spent any time in the chat so this won't be all that up to date. I completely forgot this thread existed! The desertbus.org/live chat window flies by just like the ustream chat window used to, so a dedicated IRC client will be useful. I've adjusted the text of this post to reflect the new IRC server, though the images will remain of the old Ustream server. Follow the text of the post, not the text in the images!

--------------------

Step 1 is no longer relevant
Many of us discovered (or re-discovered) that the chat window on desertbus.org/live site is small. When there are 500+ viewers it’s practically worthless. Fortunately, the desertbus.org/live chat is actually an embedded IRC client (Internet Relay Chat for you young’uns). This means everyone can access the chat from an external application.

Step 1 - Edit for DB6: you don't need a UStream account anymore, but you do want a Desert Bus donor account! desertbus.org/donor

Step 2 – Download and install mIRC (it’s really small ~1.6MB)
If you have a Mac, Graham noted below that you can try "Conversation" or "Colloquy" instead of mIRC.

Step 3 – Define your nick (i.e., Chat User name)

When you first start mIRC, you’ll see a pop-up for mIRC Options and it defaults to the Connect Category. Until you've registered your nick on the IRC server (step 7 below), the only important piece here is the Nickname – this should be the ID you wish to use in the Desert Bus chat for the duration of DesertBus. The Full Name and Email Address can just be garbage. Don’t click OK.

Step 4 – Add the Desert Bus server

Still in the mIRC Options window, click down to Servers in the Category Box (on the left side). Now click the Add button.

On the Add Server window, you’ll need to fill in the details.
Description: whatever you want, I went with, “DesertBus”
IRC Server: irc.desertbus.org
Ports: keep this as 6667
Group: DB
Password: If you've registered your nick with NickServer enter it here, otherwise leave blank

Click OK when you’re finished

Step 5 – Select Server

You’ll end up back on the mIRC Options window with a big list of servers. Find the DB folder, expand it and Select your server Description (recall, I named mine “DesertBus").

Step 6 – Connect

Now you’ll be sent back to the Connect Category within the mIRC Options window. Click Connect. If all goes well, you will be presented with an mIRC welcome window and a #desertbus chat window behind the welcome window.

Optional Step 7 – Register your nick
If this is the first time you've logged in and you haven't registered your nick, you may want to do so now. In fact, do it ahead of time if you can to make sure everything is in order before the pre-show starts!

In the welcome window you'll see something like:

Code: Select all

-
-NickServ- This is a registered nick. Please use /msg nickserv login EMAIL PASSWORD to verify your identity
-

Your email and password are those associated with your donor account that you created through desertbus.org/donor. To register my nick I entered something like:

Code: Select all

/msg nickserv login [email protected] myLRR36pass

edit for DB6: stuff that was here doesn't happen anymore
I still haven't been able to get it to automatically log me in when I enter the chat. It can probably be done, but I don't know how.

Finally, you'll want to add your password to the Server settings which you originally set up in Step 4. Go to the File Menu and "Select Server." Find your DesertBus group (recall, I suggested group "DB" above), select the server (I used, "Desert Bus") and click the "Edit" button. Now you can fill in the Password field with the password you just registered and click OK. On your next login, you won't have to confirm your nick with any IRC bots.

One last piece of advice I’ll give is that to keep the window clean, you probably want to turn off notifications for people arriving and leaving the chat. From the main IRC window go to

Tools -> Options -> IRC -> Events

You’ll want to select the “Hide” option for at least “Joins” and “Parts”

If anyone has anything to add feel free to post. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I thought I'd give people a place to point next week when the inevitable, "how do I get IRC?" questions arise.

Edit: Added a picture that was missing.
Edit2: Updated for Desert Bus 5
Edit3: Some updates for Desert Bus 6
Last edited by ecocd on 17 Nov 2012, 18:43, edited 5 times in total.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: Desert Bus – IRC Chat for Dummies (Large Images Inside)

Postby Master Gunner » 13 Nov 2009, 23:30

I don't know why, but all IRC has stopped working for me (LRR IRC, any ustream IRC, Chatzilla, ustream embedded, mIRC). I don't know if my school has decided to block it for some stupid reason or what the problem is, but whenever I try to connect, it automatically disconnects. Fortunately, I managed to find a work-around that does somehow work.

Go to http://mibbit.com/ and click "Start Chatting Now". At the top of the topmost of the three boxes, where it says "IRC: *dropdown box* Server|Auth|Charset", press "server" and put in chat1.ustream.tv for the server address. Nick is whatever you want, and channel is #desert-bus-drivercam. Press "go" and it will connect you and pull up the chat client.

The downside of this method is you can't log into ustream with it as far as I know, so you'll need a mod to manually voice you before you can talk.

EDIT (where's that strikethrough when you need it?): Disregard that last part, when you're selecting the server click "Auth" as well. Set the dropdown box to "Pass", put in your ustream password, and have your nick set to your ustream ID. Then you'll join automatically voiced.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 13 Nov 2009, 23:55

thanks ecocd. getting rid of the joins and parts will save my sanity.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 13 Nov 2009, 23:56

Ustream's chat doesn't work for me. I don't know why. It might be a Windows 7 BETA issue.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 14 Nov 2009, 01:00

Unless you have a Mac, in which case I recommend "Conversation" or, my personal favourite IRC app, "Colloquy".
Basically the same from there onwards:
chat1.ustream.tv
#desert-bus-drivercam
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 14 Nov 2009, 01:16

Gordon Fearman wrote:Ustream's chat doesn't work for me. I don't know why. It might be a Windows 7 BETA issue.

the window is tiny anyway. way too hard to follow anything when it goes as fast as it does during DB. IRC is where it's at.
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 14 Nov 2009, 04:41

Shout out to all the hardcore terminal types who will be using Irssi in a screen session.

Seeing as the forum has grown a bit since last year, I'm sure the irc will be twice as frenetic as DB2 :)
"LRR för 4 av 5 toasts"
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 14 Nov 2009, 04:50

I haven't used IRC for about 3 years, when I used to use Windows. Any favorite Linux IRC clients?
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 14 Nov 2009, 05:01

Cheers for the help, ecocd.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 14 Nov 2009, 06:33

Thanks for this, ecocd. I'm definitely going to try running dual monitors with chat on one screen and Driver Cam on the other.
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 14 Nov 2009, 09:16

Thanks for the feedback. There's plenty of time to make changes if things are unclear. Anyone else can put up recommendations for their favorite like like Graham did above.

As far as not being able to access IRC, it's probably because the network administrators are blocking the port of the IRC chat. Someone can explain it in more detail, but essentially a port is the pathway information goes from the internet to your computer and vice-versa. There are many good reasons for blocking ports so it's hard to argue with them.

What Master Gunner found above likely gets around that issue by running the IRC traffic through a different port. I know FuzzyFreaker's college ISP blocks IRC so I'll pass along that link to see if it works for him, too. Mind you, if it works that means anyone using it is circumventing the IT security protocols on their network. They might anger a few IT Gods if the network traffic is closely monitored (not likely, but you never know). It could be a great find.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Nov 2009, 10:43

It worked earlier in the year, its only being a problem for the last couple weeks, so I don't know. In any case, I doubt they have the manpower to watch the network traffic that closely. From personal experience, watching the network traffic of just 5-10 people is both incredibly boring and rarely useful (to my untrained eye anyways), so they'd need about 50 guys just to keep track of my res, much less the whole campus.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 14 Nov 2009, 10:53

Master Gunner wrote:The downside of this method is you can't log into ustream with it as far as I know, so you'll need a mod to manually voice you before you can talk.

You should be able to do this by doing /nick YOUR_USTREAM_ID then /msg authserv login USTREAM_PASSWORD

... maybe... I don't remember exactly.
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 14 Nov 2009, 10:54

Cake wrote:I haven't used IRC for about 3 years, when I used to use Windows. Any favorite Linux IRC clients?

irssi. If you don't use irssi you aren't a man.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 14 Nov 2009, 11:02

I think I will try to use Pidgin.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Nov 2009, 11:11

TomBrend wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:The downside of this method is you can't log into ustream with it as far as I know, so you'll need a mod to manually voice you before you can talk.

You should be able to do this by doing /nick YOUR_USTREAM_ID then /msg authserv login USTREAM_PASSWORD

I explained how to login right below that in my edit. I just left that up there because I'm lazy, and to let people know that they can still join in if they don't have a ustream account, they just need to ask for voice before they can talk.
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 14 Nov 2009, 12:54

Master Gunner wrote:
TomBrend wrote:

I explained how to login right below that in my edit. I just left that up there because I'm lazy, and to let people know that they can still join in if they don't have a ustream account, they just need to ask for voice before they can talk.

Yeah I saw that, I couldn't figure out how to say that my directions weren't for people on mibbit but for people who didn't want to configure a client without going into the menu's and such.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 14 Nov 2009, 13:10

If you don't want to register mIRC and plan on keeping it on your computer (even though the Eval trial is 30 days), I found Ice Chat (http://www.icechat.net) to be a great client as well.
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 14 Nov 2009, 13:18

I hate icechat. If you want a good client that isn't mIRC, I use Xchat2, which is free and GTK+!

http://www.silverex.org/news/
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 14 Nov 2009, 13:25

Master Gunner wrote:I don't know why, but all IRC has stopped working for me (LRR IRC, any ustream IRC, Chatzilla, ustream embedded, mIRC). I don't know if my school has decided to block it for some stupid reason or what the problem is, but whenever I try to connect, it automatically disconnects. Fortunately, I managed to find a work-around that does somehow work.

Go to http://mibbit.com/ and click "Start Chatting Now". At the top of the topmost of the three boxes, where it says "IRC: *dropdown box* Server|Auth|Charset", press "server" and put in chat1.ustream.tv for the server address. Nick is whatever you want, and channel is #desert-bus-drivercam. Press "go" and it will connect you and pull up the chat client.

The downside of this method is you can't log into ustream with it as far as I know, so you'll need a mod to manually voice you before you can talk.

EDIT (where's that strikethrough when you need it?): Disregard that last part, when you're selecting the server click "Auth" as well. Set the dropdown box to "Pass", put in your ustream password, and have your nick set to your ustream ID. Then you'll join automatically voiced.

Oh. My. God. It worked! IT WORKED! I can get to the Desert Bus IRC! I... I can't believe it! You are amazing. I can't thank you enough.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Nov 2009, 13:25

Glad I could help.
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 14 Nov 2009, 13:31

Master Gunner wrote:Glad I could help.

Marry me.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Nov 2009, 14:03

Only for the children.
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 14 Nov 2009, 14:43

What is the ops situation going to be this year? I know last year the Almighty Overlord Kroze stepped in to help the crew out. Will the crew be making some of the LRR IRC / AAAL IRC ops DB ops?
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 14 Nov 2009, 16:52

Words has it, Kroze is flying in. Banhammer will be wielded locally.

Return to “General Discussion”