Hong Kong Man Imprisoned In Internet Piracy Case

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Bec

Hong Kong Man Imprisoned In Internet Piracy Case

Postby Bec » 15 Nov 2005, 04:54

This is the short blurb version:
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7000907802

Here in HK the papers insist on filling the pages with comments from local celebrities, the majority of which are probably contractually obligated by their record/movie companies to say stuff like "I'm glad that guy's going to prison, his sentence should be longer than the 3 months he got!"

Wow, arresting this dude for seeding Red Planet, Daredevil, and Miss Congeniality was such a great use for the police, when those scammers who scams old ladies out of their retirement funds are still at large and doing their thing. Bravo. And it certainly meets the objective of helping the Hong Kong movie industry to go after a guy who was infringing on American movies. *smashing head on desk*

I'm so sick of hearing big companies gripe and moan and get their collective panties in a wad over BT. Bitch, plese. Why would I even deign to download the large percentage of crap they churn out when there's quality free entertainment like the stuff here? 8)

Edited to say he was seeding Red Planet, not Electra. I have such flimsy memory when it comes to shit films!
Last edited by Bec on 16 Nov 2005, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.
Graham
Super Moderator

Re: Hong Kong Man Imprisoned In Internet Piracy Case

Postby Graham » 15 Nov 2005, 10:46

Bec wrote:...Electra, Daredevil, and Miss Congeniality...

Bec wrote:And it certainly meets the objective of helping the Hong Kong movie industry to go after a guy who was infringing on American movies.

Correction: Crap American movies.

-G
Unimatsuriku

Postby Unimatsuriku » 15 Nov 2005, 11:22

I was about to say, he coulden't have picked a worse set if he tried.

How did they even catch the guy? I thought the law stated the police can't trace IP's without the name and identity of the owner of the IP? Since that info can only be given out by the ISP, and most ISP's won't do that, they kinda hit a dead end. Although afaik thats european law so...

[edit] would help if I read it :D didn't see the link XD; saii[/edit]
Armand

Postby Armand » 15 Nov 2005, 16:50

So was he caught by distribution company in Hong Kong because as far as I know, seeding movies from other countries is the only way to do it and get around the ridiculous U.S. copyright laws. I mean, yes copyright is very important, but the guy wasn't making money off of it was he? Watching those movies was punishment enough. They're just pissed that all 3 of those movies bit the dust and this is thier way of trying to legitimize the fact that they made huge mistakes producing them. Notice how it's always the people who make shitty movies that get their panties in a wad. "No one wanted to see them in the theater," they say to themselves, "so they certainly won't get to see my crap-tastic, asinine, big budget spectacle for which I lost millions of dollars for free now!" Then they wipe thier mouths with some of the money they off one of thier other films and drive to thier mansions in thier million dollar sports cars to sleep with thier supermodel and/or hooker wives. Bastards!
This Baby tastes like a 4 year old!

-Armand Schmidt
www.thewastedpotentials.com
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 15 Nov 2005, 18:09

it feels like you might possibly have a smidge of biterness.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 15 Nov 2005, 20:20

Bitterness.

That's the same feeling I get when I read Megatokyo, and I'm like, "oh poor baby. It's so hard to do your dream job. I'll just sit here all day in the planning department and pity you." BASTARD!

Armand, we should start a club.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Armand

Postby Armand » 15 Nov 2005, 21:33

Bitter indeed.

So let the club be founded on this day, in this hour. All in favor of joining, please say "I"

I.

-Armand Schmidt

Kathleen
LRR Crew

Postby Kathleen » 15 Nov 2005, 21:35

Yo.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Armand

Postby Armand » 15 Nov 2005, 21:43

what, suddenly you're ethnic.

-Armand Schmidt

Kathleen
LRR Crew

Postby Kathleen » 15 Nov 2005, 21:52

Monks of Cool, Prattchet. I'm not ethic, just a nerd.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Armand

Postby Armand » 15 Nov 2005, 21:55

I'd be lying if I said I never called anyone Dawg, Home slice, or any other outdated term in the whitest possible way.

Still, the club of bitterness against corporate bastards remains, and I'm sure will grow quickley in spirit.

-Armand Schmidt

Dana

Postby Dana » 15 Nov 2005, 22:51

Armand wrote:Bitter indeed.

So let the club be founded on this day, in this hour. All in favor of joining, please say "I"

Aye. Arrr...

Here is what the BBC says about this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4413540.stm
Last edited by Dana on 16 Nov 2005, 00:14, edited 2 times in total.
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."

"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.

"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
Armand

Postby Armand » 15 Nov 2005, 23:40

And now we have a member that's a pirate! This is the greatest F***ing club ever!

BTW: Can't get the link to work for some reason.

-Armand Schmidt

Dana

Postby Dana » 16 Nov 2005, 00:15

There, fixed.
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."

"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.

"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 16 Nov 2005, 01:03

I.

-G
Armand

Postby Armand » 16 Nov 2005, 01:08

Dana wrote:
Aye. Arrr...

So I just realized the complete hilarity of the fact that you spoke as pirate. Sorry, we're a little slow down here in Texas, surrounded by all the cows, oil rigs, and heat.

-Armand Schmidt

Bec

Postby Bec » 16 Nov 2005, 04:41

I!

I think if the powers that be somehow succeed in stopping (or at least severely limiting) the big studio films from getting onto the internet, keeping them solely to theatres and discs, that's just going to drive the entertainment seeking hordes towards the many other forms of entertainment convienently available on the web. Like this site, for example. You guys are going to be kiiiings, man. Damn hell ass kings!

Hey, I already get most of my entertainment from free stuff (and I don't mean pirated stuff) on the web. It's totally the next logical step when most movies and TV suck.

Then they wipe thier mouths with some of the money they off one of thier other films and drive to thier mansions in thier million dollar sports cars to sleep with thier supermodel and/or hooker wives. Bastards!

I laughed my ass off for a full minute after reading that. And their wallets aren't big enough for their hundreds, and their diamond shoes are too tight! Hee.

Funny the english news translate his alias to "Big Crook". It's really more like "Sneaky God". Of course "sneaky" in Cantonese is also slang for "crook" or "triad member", so I guess they got it half right. The local radio talk shows here speculated that the authorities went after this guy because his alias is too ostentatious. I think they're onto something there.
Unimatsuriku

Postby Unimatsuriku » 16 Nov 2005, 10:46

hell yeah

Uni+
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 16 Nov 2005, 20:07

I. (with a . !!)
Johnny_Lunchbox

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 17 Nov 2005, 05:56

Armand wrote:And now we have a member that's a pirate! This is the greatest F***ing club ever!

Uhh... considering the club... technically, I'm sure the vast majority of our members are pirates.

They just don't all choose to showboat like Dana.

Yarr. (That be an 'I', says I.)
Armand

Postby Armand » 18 Nov 2005, 03:24

Now I know why Paul made out with my rum. "I'm just going to grab some napkins for the road," he says, next thing you know, I need a fix, the Canadian's run off with my rum, and I live in a city that doesn't allow alcohol sales within city limits or on Sundays, and wouldn't you know it, it's Sunday! Thanks a lot! Come to think of it, who the Hell needs "napkins for the road" anyway? Idiot! I'll have to be sure and hide my booze next time. Houseguest indeed! Bloody Pirates!

-Armand Schmidt

Return to “General Discussion”