BREAKING NEWS: LRR + The Escapist = Success

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Re: BREAKING NEWS: LRR + The Unskippable = Success

Postby sdhonda » 24 Nov 2009, 18:50

Tim wrote:
Arius wrote:My big fear is the Escapist forums pouring over.

Our nonsensical rantings and ravings are entertaining. Theirs are quite often insulting and childish, but not childish like us, childish like the elementary school bully.

And as much as they fight it over there, there is a *first* in pretty much every post.

I don't think we have to worry about that too much. The Escapist has a different community culture from the LRR forums, and I'm pretty confident we won't change their community culture too much, and anyone (more) who comes here from there probably won't change our community culture that much, either. Our community dynamic is pretty well established and would probably resist any change, unless literally dozens of new people from the Escapist forums signed up all at once and began posting 10 times a day each.

When someone comes over here as an individual, they'll likely post a bit, see how things work over here, and then start to conform to that, while adding a bit of their own flavour. And I welcome that.

I'm currently reading about the Indian and European relations in British columbia over the nineteenth century. Ya, thats exactly what some of natives said. Well, not really.

But ya, they have no reason to flood into here. Just makes no sense.

The only thing I'd worry about, and although it wont happen, I've seen the effects, is if escapist mods became mods here.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 24 Nov 2009, 19:02

Master Gunner wrote:
Kara wrote:NOOOOZ THERE'S ALREADY A 'KARA' ON THE ESCAPIST. =/

There is only one true Kara. I suggest a beheading of the Escapist forum.

I've made my name there MoreMegan (which is my name for YouTube and such). =( I suppose I'll gradually just start making all of my forum names and sign up names MoreMegan instead. That's never taken. =)
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Re: BREAKING NEWS: LRR + The Escapist = Success

Postby Arius » 24 Nov 2009, 19:04

But... You're Kara...
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 24 Nov 2009, 19:12

Change is good, I suppose. You have to take chances in life to be successful and there are worse chances LRR could take than contracting more work with The Escapist. Now they'll actually be getting paid to do this and Graham will have the option at least to cut down on some of his freelance work. One thing we can look forward to is no more late videos. :-P

My worry is that the LRR forums won't grow. Now that the main videos will be posted on The Escapist, I'm not sure if cool people are going to make their way to the main site, anymore. We'll see.

I lie. My real worry is what happens when G4 (Comcast Networks) buys The Escapist (Themis Group)? Who else here loved TechTV? :(
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Nov 2009, 19:22

Master Gunner wrote:
Tim wrote:unless literally dozens of new people from the Escapist forums signed up all at once and began posting 10 times a day each.

If that happened Lying, Gordon, and myself would crack our collective knuckles and show them how its really done.

I kid, that would be horrible.

Gordon!?!!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 24 Nov 2009, 19:35

ecocd wrote:I lie. My real worry is what happens when G4 (Comcast Networks) buys The Escapist (Themis Group)? Who else here loved TechTV? :(

Depends on the fine print of the contract between LRR and the Escapist. I would suggest that LRR seek legal advice.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 24 Nov 2009, 19:41

Arius wrote:But... You're Kara...

I know Arius, I know. I'll always be Kara on this forum. =) And like, on any MMO I ever play...Any video game with names that isn't like, Final Fantasy really....Yeah....

ecocd wrote:My worry is that the LRR forums won't grow. Now that the main videos will be posted on The Escapist, I'm not sure if cool people are going to make their way to the main site, anymore. We'll see.

Sadly this occurred to me too. =/
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 24 Nov 2009, 19:44

Zivlok wrote:However, I would recommend just signing up for the escapist forums (c'mon, you know it takes, like, 60 seconds, tops), if for no other reason than to leave a small comment on their forums for LRR videos.

Zivlok makes an excellent point. Because why wouldn't an influx of users who can write in complete sentences, comment coherently and politely, and raise the level of discourse there be a bad thing?

Also, an interesting point to make is that though the Social Entropy forum on the Penny Arcade site is like the Wild West, the other forums are rather well-behaved. Why couldn't we stake out our own little corner of the Escapist forums and make it our own?

Trisha Lynn
...mwahahahaha...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
Arius

Postby Arius » 24 Nov 2009, 20:03

Abwah?

Shamus Young just joined the forums.

If people like him join the forums, I have 0 problem with some of the Escapist spilling over.*

If you're not aware of Shamus Young, he makes Stolen Pixels and writes Experienced Points for the Escapist as well as doing quite a few other awesome things.

*By some, I mean just the cool people. Not the ones who sign up just to be a dick. Allen! is the resident dick here, and I'll be damned if I let anyone try to take his crown.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 24 Nov 2009, 20:15

I think this is a good thing. I really like to see LRR doing so well :)
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 24 Nov 2009, 20:20

Hawkaris wrote:Will this change the content of the videos? I've only given it a cursory glance, but the escapist doesn't seem to have anything but video games on their site. I always enjoy your video game related videos, but that's only a small portion of what is LRR.

The content of our videos won't be changing. We had specific conversations about this with the Escapist, and they want us to keep making videos about the variety of themes we do now.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 24 Nov 2009, 20:34

i just imagined how long Lavos would last over there on the escapist, i would give it about a week then he'd be banned. or if people came here wondering "Who the hell is lavos?" hehehehe
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 24 Nov 2009, 20:39

Kara wrote:I've made my name there MoreMegan (which is my name for YouTube and such). =( I suppose I'll gradually just start making all of my forum names and sign up names MoreMegan instead. That's never taken. =)

I will always call you Kara, even over there. I still refer to Annchan as Kawaiicaps, since that's how I know her and you.

ecocd wrote:I lie. My real worry is what happens when G4 (Comcast Networks) buys The Escapist (Themis Group)? Who else here loved TechTV? :(

In that case, the new owners of The Escapist will be contractually obligated to host the LRR videos, with all other stipulations that may be in the licensing agreement. After the agreement expires (likely the agreement will be in 1-year periods, like the Unskippable and ENN), LRR can, if they don't like their treatment by G4, choose not to renew the agreement and take their business elsewhere.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 24 Nov 2009, 23:07

You guys also realize there's (probably) no reason the videos couldn't be embedded here on the LRR page, just like they are now embedded from Youtube, only likely with higher quality.

I'm guessing nothing much is going to change, aside from more monies for the crew, which means more cool stuff for us to watch.

Besides, there are links to LRR under all the Unskippable and ENN videos. Have we experienced a flood of new users from Escapist? I haven't seen much change. I doubt LRR videos are going to change that. People are... surprisingly stubborn when it comes to forum loyalty.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 24 Nov 2009, 23:10

As long as you're still active in the forums and what not then I'm beyond pleased on your behalf!
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 24 Nov 2009, 23:53

AlexanderDitto wrote:You guys also realize there's (probably) no reason the videos couldn't be embedded here on the LRR page, just like they are now embedded from Youtube, only likely with higher quality.

Yeah, I was wondering about that since we didn't get an official note on about it.

And if that is possible, could Unskippable and ENN possibly be linked/embedded here? Or does that break contract?
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 24 Nov 2009, 23:57

It would be kind of a dick move on the part of the Escapist to make a contract with LRR that wouldn't allow them to embed their videos into their own website.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 25 Nov 2009, 01:12

Im gonna adopt my default reaction to everything which is: Cautiously Optimistic. Like everyone else I'm worried about the Escapist forums though.

Guys theres no point speculating and wondering. James specifically said that they're gonna explain everything a couple of days after DB is over. So lets just keep our eyes on the blog and see what happens.
Nothing to see here.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 25 Nov 2009, 02:38

Our agreement would carry to the new overlords, but our editorial control is part of the agreement as well.
No worries.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 25 Nov 2009, 02:41

Evil Jim wrote:I'm actually way behind on ENN & Unskippable because I keep forgetting to check over there for new stuff. It would be nice to at least have an official linkback from the LRR main page for new vids.
We plan on doing this with ENN and Unskip when this all goes ahead.

The video content won't change. The variety of videos we make is why The Escapist is interested in us.
Arius

Postby Arius » 25 Nov 2009, 02:47

The big question is: Will the videos be embedded on the site or will new videos have external links?
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 25 Nov 2009, 03:15

How does this affect fan-made tribute stuff? As long as we're not making money off it, no one's going to have any beef, right?
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 25 Nov 2009, 03:27

Since it's not an 'official' LRR video, I can't see how they would.
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 25 Nov 2009, 03:31

Yeah they're still keeping the behind the scenes stuff. All none official weekly videos are going up on here.
Nothing to see here.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 25 Nov 2009, 03:34

Since everyone else is defaulting to cautiously optimistic, may I just say:

YYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

You guys rock. The Escapist rocks. Rocking chairs rock.

Return to “General Discussion”