BREAKING NEWS: LRR + The Escapist = Success

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Re: BREAKING NEWS: LRR + The Escapist = Success

Postby Tim » 25 Nov 2009, 11:14

Digital Dolphin wrote:Whew that took a lot of reading!!

Well, first off, I'm really happy for the LRR crew, this is a big step for you guys and the extra support and funding will ONLY be a good thing.

That being said, I'm REALLY sad to hear about the exclusivity of your LRR videos on the Escapist site. I really dislike that webpage a LOT. I would have quit ever going to it a long time ago if it weren't for the fact that I love watching ENN, and generally enjoy Unskippable. The Escapist Magazine site is always hit or miss for me, and whether I am able to watch videos at all seems to depend on air currents, the waxing and waneing of the moon, and some other things I can't seem to readily predict. So this means I'm probably going to be spending a LOT more time fighting with the site just to see the content I want to see. So yeah, really not too happy about that side of things.

And *THAT* being said, were the escapist magazine to offer the same deal to me, I'd take it too :P (but I'd still hate their site).

Just for reference, I stopped watching There Will Be Brawl because it wasn't worth the trouble to fight with the webpage. I don't watch Zero Punctuation either, again because of the site trouble. I *WILL* watch LRR videos (or at least continue to fight with the site and my browsers in attempts to), I'm not quitting on you guys!

Easiest thing, I think, would be to bookmark the "show page", which has the list of all the episodes in the show. I know what you mean about the site seeming kind of chaotic.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 25 Nov 2009, 11:27

shamusyoung wrote:Hi. Joined the forums just so I could show up and congratulate the LRR's, and also to alleviate a few misgivings people might have.

I signed on with the Escapist in a similar way: I had a ~popular website, and the Escapist enabled me to turn that hobby (comics, in my case) into a part-time job. The users on my site had almost the exact conversation that's taking place here.

Yes, the Escapist forums are... lively. And the word "genteel" is never used to describe them. The folks at my site didn't want to jump into the shark tank either.

But it's worked out well. Instead of gutting our community, it's added a bit to it without changing the overall character of the discussion. My site has grown, our discussion threads are still friendly, and the income has let me turn out MORE content. Plus The Escapist gets some cool stuff on their site. It's win-win-win.

When I post a new comic, there's a thread at my site and a thread at The Escapist. It's a little sad when we have a cool discussion on one side and the other side misses out, but that's a really minor gripe for what is otherwise a wonderful setup that keeps everyone happy.

Since LRR is keeping the forums here, I don't see any reason why you guys won't enjoy the same beautiful symbiosis.

(Note that I'm here of my own volition. Not speaking in any official capacity for Themis et. al.)

Congrats again to the cast of LRR.

OH GOD YOU'LL BECOME POD PEOPLE JUST LIKE HIM!

(the preceding was a joke you humorless hamburgers)
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 25 Nov 2009, 11:51

I think one thing that makes these forums so great is that most of the crew post here regularly. The interaction with the crew is what makes me enjoy being a Runner so much; you actually care about your fan base. As long as you all keep posting here, I think the community will be fine. If not... well, that's my only concern.

Oh, and congratulations! It sounds like a great gig.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 25 Nov 2009, 14:56

Theremin wrote:Since it's not an 'official' LRR video, I can't see how they would.

I vote to make King Kool's fabulous X Ways to Tell if You're a Vampire (in Twilight) an official LRR vid since it used an actual LRR script.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 25 Nov 2009, 17:32

Nevrmore wrote:I feel like talk of keeping the forum and the archives and all of the supplementary video materials isn't going to work out as the crew intends it to. I mean, what is the turnout ratio of weekly, full-length videos to Phailhaus/Iron Stomachs/Loading Times/et al? Even with the best of intentions, which is what I am positive the LRR crew has, I think it's inevitable that sooner or later loadingreadyrun.com is going to start getting less and less attention paid to it through no fault of anyone, but just the necessity of having the duty to churn out 3 different videos a week for The Escapist.

I understand your concern, but feel it's unjust and unfounded.

Maybe the fact that they won't have to worry about actual day jobs means they can focus on making videos and not have to have a desk job or worry about hocking t-shirts to survive? Maybe this will let them go to more conventions, hold more viewings, submit to more film festivals. Maybe this will let them sell more, different merchandise, work on new projects, put out different types of videos.

Maybe his means MORE LRR, not less. You can worry about them (we all want them to do well!), but give them a chance. This might be push they need to make the big time.

Just because they're going to be licencing their content to the Escapist doesn't mean they're not going to be posting it on this site. I don't speak for them, but at least let them clarify this before worrying about it.

Besides, they're CURRENTLY churning out 3 videos a week, 2 for ENN, plus LRR, and they've never missed a LRR video at the expense of ANYTHING. Give them props.
infinite_guest

Postby infinite_guest » 25 Nov 2009, 17:55

I have an account on The Escapist forums, mainly so that I could comment on ZP videos. Personally I feel that they're a mixed bag, but congratulations LRR on being paid for videos!
Longwood: Location of Harvard Medical School where evil mad scientists and Jews create transgenic monsters.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 25 Nov 2009, 18:10

sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 25 Nov 2009, 18:11

metcarfre wrote:Image

That was low.

Low.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 25 Nov 2009, 18:58

AlexanderDitto wrote:Maybe this will let them sell more, different merchandise, work on new projects, put out different types of videos.

Maybe his means MORE LRR, not less.
This.

This deal will allow everyone to spend more time on the site, so we plan to produce more stuff.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 25 Nov 2009, 19:03

You mean that we will no longer have to wait over a year for the DVDs?

Also more Phailhouse?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 25 Nov 2009, 19:05

Let's not get crazy Chris. It's still LRR.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 25 Nov 2009, 19:07

Graham wrote:
AlexanderDitto wrote:Maybe this will let them sell more, different merchandise, work on new projects, put out different types of videos.

This.

This deal will allow everyone to spend more time on the site, so we plan to produce more stuff.

Honestly, were you guys any other group, I would not be as confident in this change. Changes like this can prove disastrous for some people. But you guys are so truthful, so real, so invested and connected with your fans (are we even fans? I don't feel like a 'fan'. The way you treat us is more like friends than fans) I really can't see you doing anything but using this as an opportunity to do more of what you love, and we tend to love the work that you love.

Whoa, sorry, getting mushy there. I feel like I should post a picture of a lolcat now.
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 26 Nov 2009, 00:56

Graham wrote:

This.

So there won't be less focus on the site?
Nothing to see here.
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 26 Nov 2009, 01:19

AlexanderDitto wrote:[Y]ou guys are so truthful, so real, so invested and connected with your fans (are we even fans? I don't feel like a 'fan'. The way you treat us is more like friends than fans)

This is a big reason why I love LRR so much.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
D-Darsh
First Video: The Quantum Documentary

Postby D-Darsh » 26 Nov 2009, 01:31

I still have to ask if the videos will be embedded onto the site.

Although I'll admit I still get the "OMG CELEBRITY" syndrome whenever I go to a LRR event when people like Lyinginbedmon, Evil Jim, and Kroze are so easily able to just go up and hang with you guys....
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 26 Nov 2009, 01:32

I'd probably end up sleeping with Morgan. It's not a gay thing, just who could turn down that chance?

So, I'm not allowed to go to conventions with LRR.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 26 Nov 2009, 02:03

D-Darsh wrote:I still have to ask if the videos will be embedded onto the site.

Although I'll admit I still get the "OMG CELEBRITY" syndrome whenever I go to a LRR event when people like Lyinginbedmon, Evil Jim, and Kroze are so easily able to just go up and hang with you guys....

Believe me, I would probably be starstruck immediately upon meeting LRR, & it's been some time since I was actually starstruck by anyone. But then I'd ask Graham to show me his wallet & it would probably get less weird from there.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 26 Nov 2009, 06:33

I think this is an excellent move for you guys, you're finally getting the opportunities you deserve.

I do have one question though, is this why we're seeing the awesome sequel videos at the moment, so as not to alienate the new viewers you'll get when this takes effect?
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 26 Nov 2009, 11:45

We don't know yet. The Escapist does have embed code for their videos, so it is possible in technical terms, but I'm not sure that they'd want us drawing that many clicks away from their site and, thus, their advertising. And it's that advertising that will be paying us.

It's something we'll figure out before January.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Alterran
First Video: How to talk like a Pirate

Postby Alterran » 26 Nov 2009, 12:26

Tim wrote:

We don't know yet. The Escapist does have embed code for their videos, so it is possible in technical terms, but I'm not sure that they'd want us drawing that many clicks away from their site and, thus, their advertising. And it's that advertising that will be paying us.

It's something we'll figure out before January.

On the subject of video, I assume Russ' comments on the new video system mean that they will FINALLY be showing stuff in HD. It would be a serious kick in the Bus if LRR went back to old SD.
It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 26 Nov 2009, 12:42

See, I start hanging around lurking, then join the forums months after I discover the site, and a few months later, you guys are getting paid... No need to thank me.

Harr, harr.
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 26 Nov 2009, 13:08

Whether the videos are embedded here or if they're links that take me to the video page on the escapist, I don't really care. It would be nice to post something here though, so that I don't have to find it on the escapist.
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 26 Nov 2009, 13:35

this thread is turning into a bit of a love-in, isn't it?

To be honest, I'm just gonna put my faith in you guys and roll with it. You're all intelligent (if slightly mad) people who wouldn't rush into somethign without any consideration. Well done, guys, this is huge!!
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
Hawkaris
First Video: 1337

Postby Hawkaris » 26 Nov 2009, 14:09

I'm usually one of the last ones to hold out against change, but you've alleviated my fears quite well. It sounds like this licensing deal is going to end with nothing but good for us loyal lrrites.

Thanks for the years of entertainment, and here's to many more.
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 26 Nov 2009, 14:12

His_Ryanness wrote:Whether the videos are embedded here or if they're links that take me to the video page on the escapist, I don't really care. It would be nice to post something here though, so that I don't have to find it on the escapist.

Or our General forum.

Return to “General Discussion”