The Interrogtion

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Kzap

The Interrogtion

Postby Kzap » 25 Nov 2009, 11:13

Hey LoadingReadyFans.
Sorry I haven't been on the forums in a while (I only posted a couple of times after I joined), I've been very busy with my media course, anyway I'm still a big fan of the videos just haven't had time to comment on them here.
One of the reasons is because of my first real film project; to create a short scene designed to build tension.
I wrote the scene, directed in it and acted (not very well) in it.
Anyway I thought I would post it here to see what you guys thought and get feedback for later projects.
I'm pretty proud of it, I do think I over used the digital zoom but as I was not behind the camera it was the only way to get the shots I wanted in post-production.
Here's the link and I hope you enjoy it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-xcAANNIWY

P.S. The best thing about college is I'm friends with another fan of ENN and Unskipable and am getting him into ENN. Also our next project is a documentary, which me and him are doing on video games and video game culture, and hopefully getting Graham for a quick Skype interview.
Linux enthusiast, film director, avid Twitterer and full time geek.

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away." - (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Kzap

Re: The Interrogtion

Postby Kzap » 27 Nov 2009, 07:17

Yes, if anyone was wondering there is a bit of inspiration from 'Secret of the Sauce' in the video.
I started working on it before that video came out and it had heavy Film-noir influences anyway but the way 'Secret of the Sauce' looked was one of the things that gave me the idea to shoot it on a completely black background.
On a full circle note the original '30 minutes or less' is what got me researching Film-noir in the first place, funny old world isn't it.

For anyone interested in the behind the scenes of my video, there was actually only one black wall (curtain really) we shot against, I kept the camera in the almost exactly the same place and just moved the light and rotated the table.

"I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away." - (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
GHOVO
First Video: 1337. I think

Postby GHOVO » 27 Nov 2009, 11:21

Right, first off, that was actually pretty good. I think you did use some effects a wee bit too much and specifically the cutting to the CU of the eye was used once too much. Thats really all I didn't like about it production wise, anything I didn't mention I enjoyed.

Writing wise I didn't feel any tension until he started running in the end, and then that went when you showed the guy with the gun. Possibly if you hadn't done so much dialogue from the interrogator would of made things seem more creepy and mysterious. And Matthew's mood changes really suddenly, so either thinking about that in future scripts could help

I don't mean to sound really mean here, I'm a hard guy to please, and I realize I sound like I'm just taking pot shots and putting you down, I don't mean to sound like that, hell I really enjoyed short, but if people just gave you praise you'd never learn anything new.

But like I said, anything I didn't touch upon I really enjoyed and I'll be watching your YouTube channel and hope to see more of your work!

Good luck!
Kzap

Postby Kzap » 28 Nov 2009, 02:00

GHOVO wrote:Right, first off, that was actually pretty good. I think you did use some effects a wee bit too much and specifically the cutting to the CU of the eye was used once too much. Thats really all I didn't like about it production wise, anything I didn't mention I enjoyed.

Writing wise I didn't feel any tension until he started running in the end, and then that went when you showed the guy with the gun. Possibly if you hadn't done so much dialogue from the interrogator would of made things seem more creepy and mysterious. And Matthew's mood changes really suddenly, so either thinking about that in future scripts could help

Thanks a lot a I really like constructive feedback.
I was actually tempted to take one of the shots of the eye out at the last minute but I was using them to cover up cutting two takes together :oops: If I'd realized in the first place I would have used something else but this is meant to be a learning experience so it's good to know for next time, which is why feedback is important.
Dialogue wise I completely agree with you, I'm not going to write anything like this again, I just don't think writing is my thing but for this project I didn't have the time to get someone else to write it and the dialogue itself wasn't being graded.
You should see the original script though it REALLY was awful:
The Interrogator: What is your name?
Matthew: Screw you asshole!

Anyway thanks again for the feedback, I'll keep it in mind for later projects.

Kzap

Postby Kzap » 03 Dec 2009, 10:11

My friend doing the same course ended up with a very different piece to mine, which I think is better (although he thinks mine is).
I am really jealous of him because I spent almost the full 12 weeks working on mine, storyboarding it, researching, doing lighting tests and he just messed around for a couple of weeks, storyboarded and scripted his idea then changed it with a week to go and made his entire film in under 7 days and it's as good if not better than mine!
You can see his here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN1RlVOPZSA
Please don't compare them, I think they are both really good but very different.

Return to “General Discussion”