Paul may have 3 PS3s, but the US Air Force has 2536 PS3s

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Re: Paul may have 3 PS3s, but the US Air Force has 2536 PS3s

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 30 Nov 2009, 01:12

Am I the only person who picked up on
The entire set-up runs on an in-house developed Linux-based OS.

Is Paul secretly running the US air force?
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
FFN
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming, I think

Postby FFN » 30 Nov 2009, 02:01

Ergo wrote:...I don't get it. I see this story every now and then - the US Air Force thinks they're the most awesome thing ever. Even with the unbeardedness of Paul it still doesn't make sense to me.

Paul is more awesome. I guess no-one told the US Air Force.
Does Paul have F-22 Raptors? *crosses arms*
http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 30 Nov 2009, 02:03

Mad Madam Mimm wrote:Am I the only person who picked up on

Well... They are secretly planning a violent takeover of the Escapist...
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 01 Dec 2009, 04:35

Ergo wrote:...I don't get it. I see this story every now and then - the US Air Force thinks they're the most awesome thing ever. Even with the unbeardedness of Paul it still doesn't make sense to me.

I've worked with Paul before, he's amazing at pretty much everything! Paul was always awesome, especially with his 3 PS3s - that's why the US Air Force is buying so many PS3s. Given that Paul is well over 10 times as awesome I'd seriously question the awesome factor of a PS3 cluster versus just basking in the radiated awesome of Paul.

In fact, working on a scale from 1 to awesome, a PS3 is OK, but Paul (with or without his beard) is super-great. In terms of awesomeness Paul is quite a margin ahead already. But when you consider that:

1) Paul has the ability to turn into Ulric, plus a bunch of other awesome characters.
    2) Paul doesn't require mains-power (as far as we know), so you're not wasting power on all those PS3s...
    3) The advantage Paul has over the PS3s will increase exponentially the more you think about it.
    4) Paul is DESTINED to be awesome, meaning that an attempt to compete with him is completely futile.

I mean they could be leveraging the PS3 GPUs to create a virtual Paul, but they'd run into more severe not-being-awesome problems there too! Besides which as I understand it virtual Paul would be pretty restricted in terms of being awesome (versus newer technologies like a Paul clone).

Still, maybe I'm missing some vital piece of information which procludes me from understanding their rationale. I've spoken to a number of people at conferences and such and they all say the same thing: Paul is more awesome. I guess no-one told the US Air Force.

This is my favourite post for a while. Thank you.
octopimpostor
First Video: Halo

Postby octopimpostor » 01 Dec 2009, 07:25

FFN wrote:

Paul is more awesome. I guess no-one told the US Air Force.
Does Paul have F-22 Raptors? *crosses arms*

Well he actually has 3
My total fail count: 6
Dubious_wolf wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:My total fail count: 7...8

[/quote]
Link to my desert bus video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrIfi2ORK8
my other video that will soon be a series is here. REAL VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2T7wIymsk
goat

Postby goat » 01 Dec 2009, 07:50

You have to figure that there are a lot of people in the military, far more people than PS3s, giving them a ratio of far less than 1 PS3 per person.

Whereas Paul has 3 PS3s, giving him a ratio of 3 PS3s per person.

I think it's obvious who is the winner here.
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 01 Dec 2009, 07:53

Also Paul has that cake.
Nothing to see here.
aurora.melody2
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby aurora.melody2 » 01 Dec 2009, 07:58

I'm surprised that the Air Force would do this. I mean, yeah, the PS3 is powerful, but it's a consumer product. They're the US Military. Why wouldn't they just buy a couple supercomputers which are significantly more powerful. They have access to that sort of stuff.
They must have done this just because they can, not because it's the best way.
"Be honest, you're a zombie."
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 01 Dec 2009, 11:18

ya know, i have heard that the PS3 is actually the best deal for its cost as far as computing power goes, I remember hearing about a different, private ps3 cluster comp used to simulate black holes... anybody know where there's more data on that?
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
epocalypse
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 01 Dec 2009, 11:19

Mad Madam Mimm wrote:Am I the only person who picked up on

oh, it's a secret now? why doesn't anybody tell me these things!?!?
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
aurora.melody2
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby aurora.melody2 » 01 Dec 2009, 12:40

Either way, it won't be long until those PS3s achieve sentience and try to destroy us.
"Be honest, you're a zombie."
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 01 Dec 2009, 12:59

aurora.melody2 wrote:Either way, it won't be long until those PS3s achieve sentience and try to destroy us.

look, I actually think I've realized part of the problem here: virtually every time in fiction or hypotheticals that man witnesses a machine gain sentience (intelligence, self awareness, survival instinct and all other things that that entails,) our first reflex is to antagonize them by attempting to destroy them. What if we try to compromise, and build towards a better tomorrow, recognizing the innate worth of an intelligent being? you know, like in wall•e. See how well things went there because when people and robots met the sentient robot, they in general learned from and befriended him instead of shouting "KILL, KILL, KILL!!"?

I guess what I'm trying to say is be kind to your PS3 brethren.
my personal site
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 01 Dec 2009, 21:27

aurora.melody2 wrote:I'm surprised that the Air Force would do this. I mean, yeah, the PS3 is powerful, but it's a consumer product. They're the US Military. Why wouldn't they just buy a couple supercomputers which are significantly more powerful. They have access to that sort of stuff.
They must have done this just because they can, not because it's the best way.

Cost

With respect to cell processors, a single 1U server configured with two 3.2GHz cell processors can cost up to $8K while two Sony PS3s cost approximately $600. Though a single 3.2 GHz cell processor can deliver over 200 GFLOPS, whereas the Sony PS3 configuration delivers approximately 150 GFLOPS, the approximately tenfold cost difference per GFLOP makes the Sony PS3 the only viable technology for HPC applications
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Ergo
First Video: Pimp My Chair

Postby Ergo » 01 Dec 2009, 21:59

Rikadyn wrote:
With respect to cell processors, a single 1U server configured with two 3.2GHz cell processors can cost up to $8K while two Sony PS3s cost approximately $600. Though a single 3.2 GHz cell processor can deliver over 200 GFLOPS, whereas the Sony PS3 configuration delivers approximately 150 GFLOPS, the approximately tenfold cost difference per GFLOP makes the Sony PS3 the only viable technology for HPC applications

But the Cell chip in the PS3 can only do 12.8 GFLOPS accurately. Fine for gaming, not for doing "real" computation.

Beyond a certain point (say 40 PS3 nodes), a cluster of QS22s is cheaper, more efficient at supercomputing, (much) faster, and has over 32x more memory at a minimum.

I still say this might've looked like a good idea on paper when they decided to do this, but the numbers don't add up once you really look into it.

I also realised - they're using Linux; the PS3 Hypervisor won't allow access to the GPU, so that's out of the equation. The Hypervisor also acts as arbitrator for the Gigabit ethernet, slowing things down drastically in a grid context.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Dec 2009, 22:13

I don't know much about computers, but I have heard many, many examples of PS3s being used in this way before. So it seems legit to me.
Ergo
First Video: Pimp My Chair

Postby Ergo » 01 Dec 2009, 22:33

Just because an idea is broadly implemented doesn't make it any less stupid.

I mean good luck to them - it'll work plenty well enough to be useful. On paper it looks like a nice saving - that'll win them some political brownie points too, for sure. But when it comes down to actually doing science; well, they could've done a lot better for their money. But that's beaurocracy for you.

(Also prior examples I've seen have tended to be concerned with far smaller PS3 clusters (i.e. less than 40), where there actually is a favourable cost/performance ratio).
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 02 Dec 2009, 06:15

One think that is poor about a PS3 is how little RAM they have - just 256 MB. The IBM blades come with at least 8 GB.

There is a big difference between server hardware and consumer hardware in terms of reliability. Server hardware is meant to run flat out for years with out breaking while consumer level equipment only needs to survive intermittent use. While buying cheap consumer hardware may seem like a savings it can end up being more expensive in the long run.

As other people have noted a large cost of running a supercomputer is the power and cooling for it. The cost to power and cool can exceed the total hardware costs. Again expensive server hardware has the edge.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 02 Dec 2009, 11:34

Isn't this a recurring /. joke?

Return to “General Discussion”