The thread of win

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Re: The thread of win

Postby Metcarfre » 09 May 2011, 19:26

Quick tip, never accept even a beer or anything as thanks for things like that, it means you can be sued.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 09 May 2011, 19:40

why can one be sued?
And it was my bro, Im 99% sure he was kidding
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 09 May 2011, 19:45

If you accept something it can be considered payment. If you accept payment it means you performed a service. Which means you are liable. I learned this in my first aid course. Not worth the trouble.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 09 May 2011, 19:55

well both he and my mother were in red cross I'm sure they learned this too.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Trinhinn
First Video: uhh, most of them in a few hours?

Postby Trinhinn » 09 May 2011, 20:28

So I went downstairs and noticed I had a box of Whales, this just made writing my paper so much more bearable.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 09 May 2011, 23:29

I may have kinda derailed our D&D game last night to investigate the shit out of the death of a wizard. I really enjoyed it, but I don't think my brother did. :lol:
He's more of a hit-first-don't-bother-with-questions player, and when I DM'd for him that really bugged me. Now that I'm a player too I get to have my character grab his before he sets off traps for the second or third time in a row, or says something awful to a grieving father.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 10 May 2011, 06:28

Getting a massive tax refund is decidedly win! Barbecue, here I come!
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 10 May 2011, 18:22

The course I am attending in Oklahoma is pretty win. Very useful information, and well organized. Hooray for personal development funds!
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 10 May 2011, 18:44

Written on my essay:

"Erin, I didn't find this to be the simple rant you so offhandedly described it to be. I felt that it was very much aligned with the concepts of the persuasive essay we covered in class and in the text. It may have been a bit more challenging if you had chosen an audience with whom you weren't so intimately familiar, but you were not directed to do so. You wrote with compassion and conviction, and to do so isn't often done with as much balance as you demonstrate. I would have appreciated more voices integrated in your essay: If only they had been voices of the school mates you interviewed. As it is, your letter doesn't seem to be as well-formed as it could be. Still, though, very impressive work. I don't know how much effort you feel you put into the work, but I hope you know that your talent goes well beyond an adept ability to craft words and thoughts. You have a very well-developed emotional intelligence that I hope you continue to develop. Of the three classical rhetorical devices two are dependent on emotional intelligence. I hope you acknowledge that aspect of your gift and share it often with others."

And I got a 115/125. ^^
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 10 May 2011, 23:18

See? SEE? You are good at this stuff! You are good at creating with words! See?

Now stop being silly and write us a 1200 page novel. ;)
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 10 May 2011, 23:20

*scratches chin*

Could the pages be really, really small?

~Alja~
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 10 May 2011, 23:48

I'm an editor, not a writer! You want the book, you go to my brain-twin, or Path, or Sunshine, or Fox if he ever gets to writing those books I accidentally mused into him, or Sol once he pins his style down and starts writing more long-form, or... Man, I have a lot of writer friends.

Edit: Ooh, ooh, not to mention Fox and Ariel in conjunction! Man, I can't wait 'til I can start pimping out Aviary. Gonna be so sweet! (Seriously.)

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 11 May 2011, 00:36

Finished Deep Space Nine, all the way through. That's pretty awesome.

The finale wasn't as good as it could have been, Spoilers ahead some major issues of the series (Bajor and the Federation) were dropped, and the use of stock footage int he climactic space battle, while I understand why they had to do it, was still disappointing

Not to mention the Pagh-Wraiths story, which I though was good but had a terrible ending. It's built up to be this amazing celestial battle of good and Evil, and it just kinda peters out.. Also, how long were They in the Fire Caves? in the time they were down there, The War ended, Star Trek: Insurrection happened and the Dominion Federation treaty was signed.

Things I did like, the whole story of Cardassia, and it's parallel to Bajor at the start of the series, The goodbyes the character's got (though I wish They could have used Jadzia in the memory montages, and Dukat and Winn again were short-changed) and the sense that life goes on, And I did like the memory montages.

Oh, and though I have no preferences on Jadzia or Ezri, I agree with Matt though, Ezri is pretty good looking.

Over all, i think it was a great series, possibly the best Star Trek series, I enjoyed it's characters it's plots, and I loved that it tried new things... Voyager, Enterprise.

Also, while I know that Ron Moore in part made Battlestar Galactica to show what Voyager could have been like, I think at some point, it was also to tackle mistakes that were made by DS9, (and there were a few) as I kept noticing similarities between the two shows. It was a fun Journey, and Perhaps later, i will enjoy that Journey again. (Also, I feel like noting, the DVD covers have an interesting Colour scheme... TNG had each season be a colour of the Rainbow for each season, But SS9's is weird, but still neat to look at)
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
Henrietta

Postby Henrietta » 11 May 2011, 08:00

Yesterday was the final exam for one of my electronics classes. On the last page, there was a bonus question worth 10 points; a half-page circuit diagram followed by a series of questions about the purposes of various parts of the circuit and of the circuit as a whole. The entire thing hinged on identifying the function of a single component which we had never studied, and had never once even been mentioned in class...

... but, out of sheer, random, dumb luck I had read the article about it on Wikipedia the night before. Final score: 104%.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 11 May 2011, 12:14

I'm done with all of my exams, and they weren't even that bad.

And I get to do nothing for the rest of this week, until Saturday, when I'm going to the Magic shop with some friends to buy the hell out of some new cards.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Kirkygirl
First Video: Son Of A Bitch

Postby Kirkygirl » 11 May 2011, 17:40

The person I wanted to do a study on, but never expected to be able to be available, is!! I was almost worried sick over the fact that I would never be able to work with her due to scheduling conflicts, and the times I have work for her. So relieved! Next job: giving kick-ass treatments that work and are easy to remember!
-Kirkygirl
Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there!
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
OMGItsSarah
First Video: Offensisensitivity

Postby OMGItsSarah » 11 May 2011, 18:47

My school just had a Senior Tribute, because graduation is next Sunday. People were going up on stage and saying a little memory that they had prepared and rehearsed. I wasn't aware of this, and so didn't have anything ready and hadn't gone to any practices, and felt really bad because I knew that this was something my mom would love. So I randomly came up with a memory, figured out how to phrase it, and begged them to let me tag along when my friend went up so that I could say what I wanted to say.

And I did it.

I spoke in front of most of the Senior class and tons of people that I didn't know (that room was PACKED). And I managed to do it in a calm, steady, loud voice without shaking or crying or being obviously nervous.

I'm really proud of myself.
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Postby nonjabiru » 11 May 2011, 19:00

After putting it off for way to long I started cleaning my room. In the first ten minutes I find a liberty dollar I've been looking for incase I ever do/finish my Harvey Dent/Two Face cosplay. $20 when I got it, very good condition for a 1922 coin, and all I need to do is destroy the tails side. Sure, I have the replica of it but it doesn't have that satisfying 'ding' when flipped.

Also managed to toss out a bags worth of garbage of useless junk, figured out a more space efficient set up for my desk, and fixed the slide out keyboard thing that's been broken since I set up the desk a few years ago.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 11 May 2011, 19:56

A double, a single and a walk and catching two fly balls on a sunny evening is quite win.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 12 May 2011, 14:44

An awesome evening of stand-up is going to turn into an awesome video of stand-up.

Plus, intimidation though talent has motivated me to better myself.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 12 May 2011, 15:30

Haven't slept in three days. Finished my thesis. Turned it in. Will pass unless they really hate it.

~Alja~
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 12 May 2011, 15:42

Gonna get to see my girlfriend for three weeks this summer
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 12 May 2011, 21:32

Did not expect a final today, 'cuz I forgot that next week we have Thursday off and the week after is our "party". Think I did alright; two and a bit pages on a passage from Midsummer, nearly two on one from Othello (all handwritten), five points on how to better understand Shakespeare, and a quiz. All in 2 1/2 hours. Also, the train arrived a couple minutes after I got to the platform, and the bus seconds after I got to the stop, which was lovely timing.

2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 13 May 2011, 17:53

Grades posted today.

Four Point Oh Baby!!

WooHoo! I have a 4.0 GPA for my Master's Coursework. Still have to write and defend a thesis... and decide if I'm staying for PhD... but dang! FOUR POINT OH!!
Echi
First Video: CHustle

Postby Echi » 14 May 2011, 13:23

Got some new fish to add to the tank a few days ago. I was worried because everytime I fed them they would just sit in their spot and not do anything while everyone else ate up the food. After some light research my solution for dinner time was a simple one. They like to eat in the dark. So all I have to do is turn off the light. Hurray!

Return to “General Discussion”