The thread of win

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Re: The thread of win

Postby MinniChi » 09 Sep 2016, 09:03

Silly win: Grapes are on sale for under 1$ per pound in my local grocery store. This hasn't happened in about 2 years. I'm going to be the best mother ever when my older son gets home from school. Also I am the baby's favorite right now.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Sep 2016, 11:56

The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
J_S_Bach
First Video: I honestly can't remember.

Postby J_S_Bach » 09 Sep 2016, 13:02

Last Friday I was suddenly offered a chance to audition at Mount Allison University for the Music Program there, to be performed on Tuesday. With such short notice I wasn't confident in my chances since I was preparing for the normal rounds of auditions coming March 2017. My audition was successful so I am now part of an extremely prestigious music program and get to take a couple of lessons with Serafim Smigelskiy the cellist for the Tesla Quartet, essentially a member of the second best young string quartet in the world (They placed second in the Banff International String Quartet Competition).
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 09 Sep 2016, 13:14

I'll admit to not knowing much about all that, but it sounds like a really big deal, so congratulations! That's pretty exciting.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Hekla
First Video: The Whole Story: Desert Bus

Postby Hekla » 09 Sep 2016, 13:31

Hey! You'll probably be the closest person from here to me, Sackville being the closest place of much note to the mainland end of the Confederation Bridge.

And that sounds like quite 'the win'. Congratulations.
I'm also QuintonDreaming. Stupid username availability prevents me from always being an Icelandic volcano.
MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 09 Sep 2016, 13:31

J_S_Bach wrote:Last Friday I was suddenly offered a chance to audition at Mount Allison University for the Music Program there, to be performed on Tuesday. With such short notice I wasn't confident in my chances since I was preparing for the normal rounds of auditions coming March 2017. My audition was successful so I am now part of an extremely prestigious music program and get to take a couple of lessons with Serafim Smigelskiy the cellist for the Tesla Quartet, essentially a member of the second best young string quartet in the world (They placed second in the Banff International String Quartet Competition).

That is awesome for you!!
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 03 Oct 2016, 09:44

Mailed my doctor about getting back on medication for depression and ADD.
Got off them by mistake, about 1½-2 years ago, was moving and busy at school, so I forgot to renew my prescription. And the anxiety about contacting my doctor, and saying i forgot grew the more time passed.
But being at an okay place right now, and realizing that it is already becoming dark early in the day so it could be a hard winter, i got myself to write and send the mail
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 03 Oct 2016, 12:18

I'm so proud of you! I hope that that goes well and things improve. :)
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Garwulf
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Garwulf » 05 Oct 2016, 10:24

So, after 8 long years, the full and uncut version of For the Digital Green Fields of Aldamar has finally come to The Escapist.

(This was the story that was originally published in a butchered version with a whitewashed character - one who had been based on my best friend from high school - so I'm REALLY happy that this day could finally come.)
Author, Editor, Publisher, and Researcher
Read Garwulf's Corner, on Medium: https://medium.com/tag/garwulfs-corner/archive

...and please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/RobertBMarks
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Oct 2016, 04:37

I seem to have made a new friend through streaming.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 17 Nov 2016, 18:18

Just won a competition with the Don Tony and Kevin Castle podcast. Sweet.
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 21 Dec 2016, 17:39

Yusssss. An A and two A+s in my first semester if university. I am okay with this.

I wrote a book!
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 22 Dec 2016, 12:04

I do not remember you being that young. Please reassure me that you are not a tiny child.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 22 Dec 2016, 12:49

Haha, no, I think we're pretty much the same age. I took some time off school between high school and university, so I'm the old man in my classes.

I wrote a book!
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 22 Dec 2016, 15:50

Okay, good. Well done, then!

Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 22 Dec 2016, 16:23

I wrote a book!
MinniChi

Postby MinniChi » 31 Jan 2017, 13:12

so since it is January, I assumed my order for the Desert Bus 10 shirts was lost in the mail.
I contacted fangamer and got the refund.

Today I check the mail and my shirts arrived. Needless to say I will be contacting Fangamer back and returning the money. I'm just happy I got the shirts and they weren't lost in the mail.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 01 Feb 2017, 18:02

That's a bit fortunate.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 24 Jun 2017, 07:04

The thread of win is not on the first page of the forum? This shall be rectified at one!

I just fixed my old Logitech MX1000 mouse with a fresh battery and resurrected the wheel click (middle mouse button) with liberal application of contact spray. Its got some new skates/slidey things too so it slides around like new too.

I'm soooooooo happy with this. Logitech or anybody else have in my opinion never made anything as good as the MX1000 since it stopped production eons ago so I didn't really want to replace it, but it was starting to die on me (wheel click stopped working, the fast scroll buttons where sticking, the battery barely lasted a few hours and the scroll wheel was starting to malfunction)
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 27 Aug 2018, 02:34

I know this is a necrothread (if not a necroforum) but I needed to talk about this kinda crazy thing.

So, I had this term paper due, as you would think at the end of term. It's worth 30%, Of course being me, I put it off as long as I could because I always do and then have to pull some really late nights to type my butt off. So, my last final was on Monday, the 20th, and I think, "great, I've got a week, till the 26th to write this paper." I could start now, but I'm going to chill for a bit, recharge myself, then work on it all weekend. So, it's the 23rd, well technically it's the 24th since it was 1 AM that I thought, "okay, better get ready to write this thing. Let's pull up the syllabus to see what is expected of this paper." So I do. And I see the due date. August. The 23rd. The day that just passed. Well I know I'm pretty much f'ked.So I shoot an e-mail to my prof explaining the fkup and go to bed, cause there ain't no way I'm writing a 3000 word paper when I'm that tired and freaked out.

He gets back to me in the morning, I have till the end of the 25th. Great. So I go and look at all the sources I picked on my proposal. Some of them are more helpful than others. I find a few more. Then I find a really nice one I didn't expect. I spend the day pulling quotes and saving them in a separate document. The 25th rolls around. I wake up later than I should. It's Saturday, My Hero Academia day. There's no way I'm holding off on that. I end up wasting more time than I should and once again it occurs to me that I should really follow the heck up with my doctor about potentially having a form of ADHD, cause I've been in this position too often.

Finally I start writing. Set up in my room, on my bed where there's no people around. It's going slow. Like, I mean glacially slow. I dunno if I was just that distractible or tired or what, but I end up pulling an all-nighter and only have maybe a third of what I need to write down. During that time, my quote document gets corrupted. I do a recovery. The most recent quotes I pulled that I needed to reference right off the bat are gone. I despair for a half hour at 3 in the morning. Then I pull the article back up and grab the quotes I need. I keep writing. It's morning, everyone else wakes up, I take a break and chat with my mom for a bit. I'm like really tired at this point, Then I do something stupid. I decide to rest for a bit, and snuggle under the covers. I fall asleep for four hours. it's now 2 PM on the 26th. I'm boned. Super boned.

My Prof e-mails me asking if he should expect a paper. The deadline for his marks to be in are probably coming up. I e-mail back explaining how slow it's been and the problem with my citations. He gives me till 5 PM to hammer away at it then hand in what I have. I go like ham for 2 and half hours. I get another thousand words down. I finish the second of my three main points. It's 4:50. I have no choice. I slap together a work cited page (luckily when looking up sources, I already put them in a citation format along with all the quotes I pulled) I can't finish it. I upload my unfinished paper, the document containing all 5 pages of the quotes I pulled (I wasn't planning on using them all, but you know, safety net) re-upload my proposal to give an outline of where I was planning to go and give context to the paper and the rest of the quotes and I also upload the source I unexpectedly found cause I think it's a great resource. I can do nothing now but wait. I email my prof, thanking him for his understanding and patience and apologizing for possibly wrecking his weekend. He writes back that it's okay, but don't expect a ton of written feedback "lol" Yeah, he used lol. That's a good sign, right? Honestly I dunno what to make of it. It's out of my hands now.

I call my friend to vent about what a failure I am. Since we've known each other since we were six, he's not exactly understanding - sarcasm is our language. We talk for a while about stuff, to get my mind off of that disaster of an essay. I hate writing essays. Always have since the first one I wrote in middle school. After we hang up, I doze for an hour. I haven't eaten yet. I have breakfast at 7 in the evening, where did the time go. I watch an episode of The Simpsons since I've been going through that. sometime between 9 and 10 I decide I should take a nap, even though I'll have to get up at some point later to eat again since my meds are a two times a day with food thing. my rhythms are so messed up at this point. I wake up at 1 feeling like I woke up after a full night's sleep. Kinda disorienting, going through your morning routine at 1-2 in the morning, but here we are. I make something to eat, watch another Simpsons episode, and check Twitter.

It's time. The mark has to be up on the university site by now. I should just look at it and get it over with. Since it's the middle of the night I can just go back to bed. I did okay in the course, a bad mark isn't going to fail me, but I really don't want another D on my report after that joke of an archeology course last semester. I'm allowed two of them, but even the one is shameful to me. Oh well, better suck it up. I sneak into the living room where I left my work computer. I pull up the website. I log back in. Go to the grade section. scroll down...

I can't quite process what I see. How. How is that even possible. There's some feedback provided. I can't quite believe that either.

80%. I got an 80% on an unfinished, unpolished paper. The feedback says that with some polish and completion it would easily have been an A+. I can't believe it. I've had a ton of extensions in other classes for other papers, and even handed some in late because sometimes it's a slog and I just don't care about the reasons something is late as long as it's done. And I've always done really well despite those. Once got a B on a paper that was a week late, and this was from a prof who knocks a grade point off for each day.

But this. This is unbelievable. 80% on an unfinished essay. There's some other suggestions in the feedback, and my prof suggests a free scheduling app. But he also says how talented I am. I mean, I guess I am, if I pulled an 80% out of my butt for something I didn't even finish. But I hate essays. How can I be talented at something I hate? Something that always causes me a ton of stress and literal sleepless nights? I'm amazed. I'm happy. Strike that, I'm elated. it's 4 AM in the morning, all my friends and family are asleep and I gotta tell someone this frankly shocking news. my Twitter timeline is also asleep it seems. And I know the forums aren't a popular place anymore, but I know if there are any people who would appreciate this tale, it would be the people on here. 80% on an unfinished paper? That is definitely Win. Thank you for your time.
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 01 Sep 2018, 14:41

Well over 5 years after making a post on this forum stating I really needed to replace my current desktop PC as it was getting old I've FINALLY bit the bullet and ordered a new system. It should be here somewhere next week!

CORSAIR Carbide Series 330R Ultra-Silent - Blackout Edition case
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - Processor
Arctic Freezer 33 CO - CPU cooler
ASUS PRIME X370-A - Motherboard
Kingston HyperX FURY - Memory
Samsung 970 EVO MZ-V7E500BW - SSD 500Gb
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM006 - HDD (2Tb)
MSI Geforce GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1 - GPU
Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 - PSU
LG GH24NSD1 Super Multi - DVD-RW station

It's decidedly mid-range, but hopefully it'll last me as long as my current system has. I've had this since roughly 2008 or so, and even then it was sort of a hand-me-down. I replaced the GPU and added 2 Gb of RAM at some point, but it's just not hacking it anymore with modern programs.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Feb 2019, 22:47

I consider it a win when I get trolls to block me for being annoying instead of the other way around. :-D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 15 Apr 2019, 17:20

Melancholy win....

Knowing that my time on this forum and amongst my friends near and far through LRRums and the DBIRC, through finding support and encouragement from like minded folk... they all led me to who and what I am today. You all have been such a WIN to my life, I hope you come back and read this, and know you are and have been loved. <3
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 15 Apr 2019, 17:52

Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 22 Apr 2019, 02:18

When you cannot sleep because you are simply too happy to sleep.

Return to “General Discussion”