The thread of win

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Re: The thread of win

Postby viscomica » 07 Nov 2014, 05:38

Kudos!
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 07 Nov 2014, 10:25

Its official. Got the keys and everything. I now own a house!!!
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 07 Nov 2014, 10:38

Woo! Congratulations!
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 09 Nov 2014, 13:11

Two of my friends got engaged to each other :D
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 09 Nov 2014, 14:21

Rolling in the cash! Gonna upgrade my computer and replace my brother's XBox. His died and he's been bored.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 11 Nov 2014, 16:07

Holy fuck, Paul Schrader is coming over for the film fest. What do I wear, what do I wear?!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 11 Nov 2014, 16:21

Bebop Man wrote:Holy fuck, Paul Schrader is coming over for the film fest. What do I wear, what do I wear?!

Birthday suit in french dressing and start practicing your 100m sprint.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 11 Nov 2014, 16:55

But what if he doesn't liiiiiiike iiiiiit.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 11 Nov 2014, 19:07

Lavish slathering lubrication of marmite?
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 11 Nov 2014, 20:17

Nah, Marmite is terrible.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 11 Nov 2014, 22:18

A super exciting event in my life is coming up very quickly. It's also kind of terrifying, but mostly exciting.

I wrote a book!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 12 Nov 2014, 01:09

Over a period of a few days during last week, a bloke apparently dressed in flowing robes did the rounds of the student quarter of the town where I live, posting a pamphlet entitled 'The Works of Darkness' through the door. This contained a level of religiously-inspired hate speech so vile and almost box-tickingly awful that it could almost be mistaken for parody; some edited highlights include:

-Fornicators are little better than whores in the sight of God
-The Devil delights in sterility, and revels in condoms, coils and pills
-Sperm banks, test-tube babies, birth factories and genetically engineered children are evils which belong to the world of Frankenstein novels and Nazi death camps
-Homosexuality is not ingrained. It is a developmental disorder... In the ideal of 'man-boy love' so desired by homosexuals, pederasty/paedophilia claims its historic place in homosexualism. It is a fact that 'Gays' [both inverted commas and capitalisation are direct transcripts] want no age of consent

I could go on; those are examples from a mere 4 of the 10 numbered sections on this list.

So why is this going in the thread of win? Answer- because of the student response.

It perhaps didn't help that one of the first doors this douchebag chose to throw his crap through was that of one of my friends, who also happens to be chair of the university LGBT association. She posted it on Facebook, as did a huge number of others, and every single one vehemently condoned everything contained within. I've walked past doors with these pamphlets nailed to the front, along with rejection letters saying the occupants aren't interested in this 'propaganda'. At least one person, if the student newspaper is to be believe, ended up running down the street after the guy to make him take his crap back (he scarpered before he was caught), and he has been reported to the police. Best of all, next to nobody appears to have blamed this on Christianity or religion in general- the uni's Christian Union were just as appalled as the rest of us, and everyone seems in agreement that this was just one mentally broken nutter rather than an example of 'why religion is terrible' (as it turns out, the real world is not in fact the internet).

Yes, the fact that this guy and his message exists is awful. But the fact that everyone was ready to dismiss it so readily and loudly, in its entirety, for being so horrible... I dunno, it makes me feel good that the one thing a town full of students can unite behind is the presence of such an undeniable ****stain.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
leapy
First Video: One of the old ENN ones, it was ages ago

Postby leapy » 12 Nov 2014, 09:43

Phailhammer wrote:Nah, Marmite is terrible.

Indeed. Vegimite all the way. :-p
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 12 Nov 2014, 15:10

leapy wrote:

I'll tell ya what's worse, Promite.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

leapy
First Video: One of the old ENN ones, it was ages ago

Postby leapy » 12 Nov 2014, 17:27

ZePancakes wrote:
leapy wrote:

I'll tell ya what's worse, Promite.

Promite is the weak of spine and flaccid of upper lip.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 12 Nov 2014, 21:32

Got my very first paying improv gig. It's only 25 bucks a week, but hey, I'll take it!
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 13 Nov 2014, 09:46

So this morning I head in to work. I'm feeling a little under the weather, and it's been getting worse. So I get in, my boss asks me how I am, and I say that my roommates are sick and I think I might be coming down with something.

"You really think you're sick?"

"I don't know."

"Pack up, go home."

"I just spent 40 minutes on the bus!"

"Yeah. Work from home. Take it easy. We don't all need to get sick here."

So I turn around and head out. Whatever; I was going to call in sick tomorrow for DB anyway, this just means I get an extra day from home. I get to the bus stop and hang around. There are two buses that go by there, one only goes to UCLA, and one goes past UCLA and over the hill to a couple blocks from where I live. So I wave the UCLA bus past, then finally the PCH comes... and goes right by me, while I wave at it and try to get the driver's attention.

A car pulls up to me a few seconds later, and a woman calls out, "Get in!"

"No, it's okay..."

"Coom on, get in!" Her Liverpool accent was so heavy, she sounded like Lister from Red Dwarf.

So I get in, and we spend a pleasant car ride talking about the perfidy of bus drivers (she's done this before, and the worst one she's seen was a driver go right past a veteran, who was trying to run for it on two crutches, while the driver waved at him), immigration, prices (her wife is from Arizona, and California prices are ridiculous to her), school, and her tattoos. She let me off a couple blocks from where I would have gotten off the bus and now, an hour from when I got into work, I'm home and having a cookie.

Interesting morning, really!
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 13 Nov 2014, 09:51

So I managed to get 68 on my first essay ("Very good" in the criteria boxes), which I'm very happy about, and means I've likely done well on my second essay too.

Although I did make one bad typo. I put "Honk Kong" instead of "Hong Kong"...Whoops!
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 18 Nov 2014, 22:32

A movie I worked on is finally getting its (limited) release!
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 19 Nov 2014, 05:49

Woot!!! :D
Congrats!
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 22 Nov 2014, 08:50

Film festival here we go!
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 26 Nov 2014, 13:45

So, I guess I just got a tweet favourited and retweeted by the author of my favourite book. :mrgreen:

I wrote a book!
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 27 Nov 2014, 22:52

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:She posted it on Facebook, as did a huge number of others, and every single one vehemently condoned everything contained within.

Please forgive me for this. I realize it's really minor, and it's one of my pet peeves - condone means to support or allow something. Condemn means to speak out against or express disapproval of something. It doesn't come up terribly often, and whenever I see someone use condone when they mean condemn I feel an overwhelming urge to speak up about it.

My own fiddly brain quirks aside, it's awesome to hear that your community is coming together so well on this issue, Ix. Here's to hoping this fellow can be found, or at least discouraged from bothering people with unwelcome propaganda.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 28 Nov 2014, 00:13

Atifexe wrote:
My pseudonym is Ix wrote:She posted it on Facebook, as did a huge number of others, and every single one vehemently condoned everything contained within.

Please forgive me for this. I realize it's really minor, and it's one of my pet peeves - condone means to support or allow something. Condemn means to speak out against or express disapproval of something. It doesn't come up terribly often, and whenever I see someone use condone when they mean condemn I feel an overwhelming urge to speak up about it.

My own fiddly brain quirks aside, it's awesome to hear that your community is coming together so well on this issue, Ix. Here's to hoping this fellow can be found, or at least discouraged from bothering people with unwelcome propaganda.

...the worrying thing is that I know this and get picky about it myself. Huh. Must've slipped my notice.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 28 Nov 2014, 08:50

This week I bought a hardcover, deluxe recopilatory book with all three 1Q84 novels by murakami...... at only 17 dollars. It's AWESOME!
(I realize this sounds like spam but it's just so.... ahhhh! Amazing. I started reading it yesterday after an exam. Go pandas!)

Return to “General Discussion”