Post your video criticisms. An LRR Joint.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Bananafish

Post your video criticisms. An LRR Joint.

Postby Bananafish » 08 Dec 2009, 10:57

As we all know, nothing is without it's faults. So in order to hopefully make LRR better I would like for us to provide some criticism to the cast. To me it seems like they don't get enough of it from their fans (I get this from reading some of the video discussion threads) and that a little more couldn't hurt.

Anyway. Here's my take on the latest CH and some retrospective stuff, I was going to do a writeup of the entire episode but oh well.

I think my main gripe was that the muffin scene, although good, went on a bit too long and almost made me forget what was actually happening in the scene before.

The other flashback with the AIDS pot, a decent and quick joke which could've been made shorter without the unecessary "Morgan 1, Kraft 0." which seemed pointless and awkward. And then you added another punchline, someone made noodles in the AIDS pot, a good joke followed up with Graham being unsympathetic towards someone having eaten AIDS noodles.

Length is a problem I have with some of your jokes. In ENN for instance, the joke about assuming the the people were their characters in real life. A decent joke but it basically composed the entire interview combined with a visual joke (Graham stumbling through his questions because he only just learned that they are not the literally their characters), and after it was made the first time it seemed like you were just beating it over the head. I feel like that running joke just became bloated because it didn't really accompany much else.

I know now I'm just nitpicking but this kind of annoyed me: At the end of the CH Graham says "Can I get a ride with you to the movie tomorrow?" If he had said 'movies' I could understand but throughout the entire episode they never mentioned anything about movies or making plans to see one. I realize it's petty and no one cares but although I really liked this episode that sentence just left a bad taste in my mouth and I just think it could've sounded better.

Summary: Edit your jokes to fit the scene, if it ends up being too long then do your best to shorten it. In the Time is Money skit the joke was taking the term too literally, but although the entire skit centered around that one joke it had a lot of other jokes to accompany it. what I mean is that the bare bones wasn't the entire content of the joke.

I realize it can be easy to dub a video perfect and without fault but I think there's always room for criticism, no matter how small. The thing I love about LRR is that unlike the Tim Buckleys of the universe, they are able to take criticism maturely and with a grain of salt.
Highlander
First Video: Mecha Jackson

Re: Post your video criticisms. An LRR Joint.

Postby Highlander » 08 Dec 2009, 11:07

A little bit lonely in this thread isn't it.
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 08 Dec 2009, 11:09

Ignore the sarcasm, it's actually a good idea.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 08 Dec 2009, 11:31

I think people don't quite know if it's 'okay' in these forums to reply to this thread, so no one is. I guess I'll toss out a few things.

Umm, when I have criticism of videos I tend to post in the video thread (though I admit I haven't lately at all), but there are certainly some videos on this site and on Escapist that I'm not a fan of. Admittedly though, a lot of people don't post about their gripes with videos, including myself a lot of the time (I don't really feel like going into it generally). For example, I do agree that I've found pacing in some videos to be a bit off in certain sections. My main gripe for pacing was Death From Above though there have been certain other ones where there have been a few off issues with pacing. It's comedy, what do you expect?

Moreso than LRR I honestly haven't really watched ENN. I saw the first one and marginally enjoyed it, but I just didn't find it all that funny.

This all being said, I loved this weeks CH and generally most videos that come through this site. But you can't love 'em all, right?

I may go more into my criticisms later, but I'm too tired right now. I'll probably go more deeply into my criticism later if this thread isn't dead.

Oh, and one more thing.

Last edited by Kara on 09 Dec 2009, 01:05, edited 2 times in total.
Newfie
First Video: Desert Bus for Hope 1

Postby Newfie » 08 Dec 2009, 11:32

I'll definitely agree that the Guild Chat segment of that ENN episode was too long and not that funny. The other stuff (especially the movie/movies thing) I'm just not seeing. I thought the muffin thing was pretty hilarious.

But anyway, the point of this isn't about commenting on your criticisms but forming those of my own. Here's one thing I could think of, and it's more technical than writing. I thought it was kind of funny how in the Guild Chat ENN it didn't seem like Jer was looking at the camera, then in the CH episode when he's talking to Matt in his apartment it kind of seems like he's looks right into it. That's probably really nitpicky too, but oh well...
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 08 Dec 2009, 11:43

I came expecting a picture of marijuana in the shape of the LRR logo and am disappoint.

I tend to offer criticism in the video thread, but often if my complaint is minor I won't mention it. Free content is free, after all. However, the blog really needs to be used more. My brother watches the videos every week but because he doesn't read the forums or listen to all the podcasts, he didn't know about Unskippable or ENN and that's not a good thing at all.
GHOVO
First Video: 1337. I think

Postby GHOVO » 08 Dec 2009, 11:45

Emperor Gum wrote:often if my complaint is minor I won't mention it. Free content is free, after all.

This.

I dunno about anyone else but I couldn\t do any better so unless I can offer a :You could do this..." I won't say anything
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 08 Dec 2009, 11:49

My biggest complaint about ENN is when the same person plays multiple roles in the same video. Lately, the fact that Jer (and sometimes Kathleen) are often seen walking by that same brick building after doing different reports, is beginning to distract me also.

cH feels a lot weaker in season 2, but I'm hesitant to comment on it, since I know the crew is trying to make changes to attract a larger audience. The episode about Matt that just came out was a lot better than the first ep of the season though.
#TeamKroze
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 08 Dec 2009, 12:18

I wasn't a big fan of episodes 7-11 or so. However, I think these last two episodes have been fantastic.
Image Image Image
Highlander
First Video: Mecha Jackson

Postby Highlander » 08 Dec 2009, 12:40

Highlander wrote:A little bit lonely in this thread isn't it.

I was indeed joking although I'm about to go to bed so I can't be bothered to find and type up my comments
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 08 Dec 2009, 12:50

GHOVO wrote:
Emperor Gum wrote:often if my complaint is minor I won't mention it. Free content is free, after all.

This.

I dunno about anyone else but I couldn\t do any better so unless I can offer a :You could do this..." I won't say anything

I think this is some pretty flimsy rationale, whether something is free or not I always try to make it better. I wouldn't have made this thread if I didn't consider it would help the website and the crew in some way.

I might as well stop criticizing mediocre health care reform bills since I couldnt draft several thousand pages of it, I shouldnt criticize terrible movies because I sure as hell couldnt make one that's even half as good.

Ultimately criticism comes because you care about something and you'd like to see it reach the peak of quality that you believe it's capable of.

e: I do appreciate you guys giving it a try at the very least.

e2: Feel free to point out the things you like and you'd like to see again if you want.
SecretsOfMoon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby SecretsOfMoon » 08 Dec 2009, 13:08

Emperor Gum wrote:I came expecting a picture of marijuana in the shape of the LRR logo and am disappoint.

You called?

By large, I shall retract any statement that may or may not have been issued within the contents of this post. Apart from the hemp, obviously.
Last edited by SecretsOfMoon on 08 Dec 2009, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
I am the bearer of Sitra Ahra, the one who stands at the gates of Qliphoth, I am Maskim Xul.
4861696c20536174616e21
Depressive Realism Now!
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 08 Dec 2009, 13:19

Unbelievers! Burn the heretics! How dare you criticize LRR!!!

*Foams at the mouth & tips over*
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 08 Dec 2009, 13:29

In reference to people having criticisms regarding the Guild Chat awkwardness:
Graham wrote:I completely agree with you. I actually had difficulty watching it during editing, it makes me so uncomfortable. Maybe that's why it didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped–if the people making the jokes don't like the style of jokes... well they shouldn't be making them.
We just wanted to capitalize on the chance to talk to The Guild, and that's the best we had on short notice.

As for my own criticisms, I generally leave them to the individual video discussion threads. This thread, to me, seems to be a place to place a generalized criticism towards LRR. Of which, I just don't have any.

And, I should say that criticizing humor probably won't get the desired results. Some people find things extraordinarily funny while others find the same things lame and boring. I've shown LRR vids to a couple of my friends who just weren't impressed. They've got different senses of humor, they didn't like the vids, but that doesn't mean LRR is wrong for having made them.

I think that, if any of us have a problem, we'll make it known in the individual threads. This one here seems like it could lead to frustration and hurt feelings. Mostly because people are usually very bad at constructive criticism.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 08 Dec 2009, 13:37

Cade Antilles wrote:And, I should say that criticizing humor probably won't get the desired results. Some people find things extraordinarily funny while others find the same things lame and boring.

For example, I laughed my ass off during the Guild Chat segment that so many seem to be put off by.

Most criticism is best when put into the individual threads, because then it's easier to point out problems and ask individual questions.

For general things we don't like, we mostly just blame Matt. Streamlines things.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 08 Dec 2009, 13:50

I certainly blame Matt for this.

Bananafish, you say there's not enough serious criticism of LRR videos in the discussion threads? Then why not post your own criticism in those threads?

Actually, I do think it might be worth starting a thread for each of the recurring video styles like Hustle, RapidFire or X2Y, so that we can discuss their progression. There was kind of a post mortem on Hustle Season 1, but it's spread across the Episode 11 video and podcast threads.
Dempsas
First Video: ss

Postby Dempsas » 08 Dec 2009, 13:56

Im not gona click on that link...
*click*
I knew it but something drew me.. scary and hypnotic. The music, the colours, the bobbing Matt.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 08 Dec 2009, 14:48

I always know ykynozb as Fear of Matt. It's the end of the tinyurl when you hover over the link.

Anyway, I feel that any video criticisms should be in with the actual videos you're criticising to keep things under check.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 08 Dec 2009, 14:48

ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:I certainly blame Matt for this.

Bananafish, you say there's not enough serious criticism of LRR videos in the discussion threads? Then why not post your own criticism in those threads?

Actually, I do think it might be worth starting a thread for each of the recurring video styles like Hustle, RapidFire or X2Y, so that we can discuss their progression. There was kind of a post mortem on Hustle Season 1, but it's spread across the Episode 11 video and podcast threads.

I wrote that up specifically for the video but I thought I would try something else to get more people involved, people who don't necessarily look at the comments on the videos.

If anyone does want to start a thread like that be my guest.

For example, I laughed my ass off during the Guild Chat segment that so many seem to be put off by.

Goddamn. Really? Maybe it's because I know dick about Guild Chat but that was just completely unfunny to me.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 08 Dec 2009, 15:01

I don't know anything about Guild Chat either. Never seen it.

I just found the awkwardness hilarious.

Different humour.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 08 Dec 2009, 15:03

Children of the skyyyyyyyyyyyy...

my new favourite thing.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 08 Dec 2009, 15:10

Evil Jim's Twitter wrote:I"m watching "Pauly Shore is Dead" in the other room. I didn't pause it to come in here.

Not much later:
Evil Jim's Twitter wrote:Made it through ½ the Pauly movie then switched to audio commentary. Then turned it off. Instead I'll watch this: http://tinyurl.com/ykynozb
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 08 Dec 2009, 15:28

See: I didn't like the guild chat thing.

I loved the muffin (in fact, after only having seen that episode twice I now have the WHOLE THING MEMORIZED because I just love the whole freaking episode) thing, and the "movie" thing isn't a big deal cuz I know the crew is constantly going to movies (listen to a podcast. So many end with "well. we gotta leave now our else we won't catch the movie.").

I used to have gripes about specific actors, but really, they've all grown a lot. Little things like I sometimes feel that Jer smiles when he should be serious (Small Pox is a good example), but it only happens sometimes, and I'm finding he's doing it less and less. Yay Jer!

Also I think Bill underacts a bit, and Morgan overacts a bit. Nothing to big, but when they are in the same room, acting together? It becomes REALLY obvious. But again, nothing too bad, and they are also getting more balanced.

And for the looking at the camera thing of Jer...I know it isn't his fault, but maybe the camera should be on the other side for both gripes. In ENN if he was in Graham's spot, I know it would have ruined the joke, but he would have been looking into the camera. In cH, if the camera was on Matt's left shoulder, not his right, Jer would have been looking at him, not us. Just something to take into consideration.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 08 Dec 2009, 16:11

You do know that they do this in the Video Discussion threads right?
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 08 Dec 2009, 16:24

tak197 wrote:You do know that they do this in the Video Discussion threads right?

It's a one page thread, at least read it before posting.

Return to “General Discussion”