Should I get a Twitter account

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Dempsas
First Video: ss

Should I get a Twitter account

Postby Dempsas » 13 Dec 2009, 10:50

Im kind of unsure, Is it really worth signing up for.
Always hearing about it and during desert bus I was very tempted to sign up but was flying out to Finland so didnt get around to it, and thanks to the flights missed out on a fair chuck of desert bus.

Well guys whats your opinion I currently have facebook, a blog, bebo(being deleted) and a very used deviantart account.

Is it worth adding another social networking outlet to my inventory?
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Re: Should I get a Twitter account

Postby Vigafre » 13 Dec 2009, 11:11

It really depends if you feel like following people's thoughts or if you know people who would follow your thoughts.
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 13 Dec 2009, 11:16

Think of it as stripped-down facebook.
JohnyMcmuffin
THERE'S Waldo!
First Video: The Stages

Postby JohnyMcmuffin » 13 Dec 2009, 11:30

I only made mine because of Desert Bus, and now never really post on it. I just use it to check on the twitter feeds of the LRR crew and a few other people with funny/interesting twitters. Oh, and Big Ben keeps me on top of the time.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 13 Dec 2009, 11:39

Sign up for it and play around with it for a bit. If it seems fun and like something you'd want to continue doing, keep using it. If not, stop. It's not like you have to use it if you sign up. Try it out and see for yourself.

-m

I am not angry at you.
octopimpostor
First Video: Halo

Postby octopimpostor » 13 Dec 2009, 12:24

DON'T ACCEPT THE COOKIE!!! DON'T GO TO THE DARK SIDE, DON'T GET A TWITTER ACCOUNT
My total fail count: 6
Dubious_wolf wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:My total fail count: 7...8

[/quote]
Link to my desert bus video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrIfi2ORK8
my other video that will soon be a series is here. REAL VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2T7wIymsk
Checky_Girl
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Checky_Girl » 13 Dec 2009, 12:28

I was unsure about it at first. I basically made mine because of Desert Bus and now I find it kind of fun.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 13 Dec 2009, 13:02

I'm surprised no one has mentioned getting a Twitter account & voting in the Open Web Awards. Loading Ready Run is in the finals for Funniest YouTube Channel.

You can also follow the Loading Ready Run crew & communicate with them. Find out what's going on behind the scenes of videos, know exactly when podcasts are taking place & see mysterious photos of parts of sets & costumes & things before you find out what they're for.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 13 Dec 2009, 13:17

If you're travelling around and can get it on your mobile (I can't for some reason :( ) it's perfect. Simple messages for your friends like "Hey I am in Oslo now!" or "Check out this giant bratwurst (NSFW) *twitpic*".

It's just another way of communicating, nothing more, nothing less.
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 13 Dec 2009, 13:24

I really appreciate the ability for me to take a photo with my phone & immediately update my Twitter stream. (Requires a TwitPic account but you use the same nickname.) It lets me capture those moments that I'd otherwise only note & pass by.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
iwashere33

Postby iwashere33 » 13 Dec 2009, 19:08

yeah, i only signed up because graham said i should. since signing up i have now 5 followers and i have since discovered various other tweeters (people or tweet?), like EGMNOW (the EGM magazine that 1up screwed over earlier this year - they are coming back in print with the orginal people), and for some reason i am finding new things all the time like there was a twitter account for some detainee in GITMO bay that would up date with the real log of what happend to him in the same time frame as the log. and of course i found felcia day.

but mostly i still use to watch the tweets from the LRR crew.
Ian McKellen, now!
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 13 Dec 2009, 19:11

Then you begin to find that people like @darthvader have a Twitter account & it builds from there.
Cap'n Jonny

Postby Cap'n Jonny » 13 Dec 2009, 19:43

Part of me really wants to get one, but I know I'd get bored of it after a month and let it slip. Even so, might do so yet.
It can be a very powerful tool, it's been used to break journalistic gagging orders (woo freedom of speech!) and when Stephen Fry recommended a book on his twitter feed its sales jumped 6000% (not an exaggeration that's the actual figure). While I'm not saying signing up to it will afford you this much power and influence, it certainly couldn't hurt :)
In soviet metajoke, fourth wall breaks you
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 13 Dec 2009, 19:47

I got one for DB. Now I use it for the same things I use the forums for.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 13 Dec 2009, 20:17

I do have one that I occasionally update. It has the added bonus of updating my Facebook status and showing up in it's own box on both my deviantART and my Escapist profile.

God, Twitter is like the Borg of social networking. It's assimilating itself into everything.

Anyway, I'd honestly update it more if there was more back-and-forth with some of the people I was following.

Hint, hint, LRR crew.
ImageImageImageImage
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 13 Dec 2009, 20:27

protip: follow and converse with LRR fans. Many of us have our accounts listed in the blog/twitter thread, and others have our accounts listed in our signatures. The really bold ones have done both!
iwashere33

Postby iwashere33 » 13 Dec 2009, 20:30

does any one know of a good twitter app for the iphone?

and i don't just mean safari.

i have been looking for an offical one (facebook has one, why not twitter). so any help is appreciated. thanks.
Ian McKellen, now!
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 13 Dec 2009, 20:32

I use Twitteriffic, which works pretty damn well. There's a free version of it that's essentially the same as the regular version, so I'd recommend you try it out.
ImageImageImageImage
Dempsas

Postby Dempsas » 15 Dec 2009, 11:47

Okay guys I bit the bullet. Got the twitter. :P same user name (dempsas) Am currently going through and following the crew and some friends, Any recomendations who else I should follow
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 15 Dec 2009, 12:25

@darthvader is always entertaining. As well as @JhonenV & @Johnny_C if you like Jhonen Vasquez's work.
JohnyMcmuffin
THERE'S Waldo!
First Video: The Stages

Postby JohnyMcmuffin » 15 Dec 2009, 12:32

I personally enjoy @shitmydadsays
Shinoki
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Shinoki » 15 Dec 2009, 14:16

I have one but I rarely use it. It's a side project from my blog, which has fallen into errant status in the last week. With finals and everything I just haven't had the time to polish some writing and post it.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 15 Dec 2009, 14:24

I've signed up but I've only one follower and barely ever any updates.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Dempsas

Postby Dempsas » 15 Dec 2009, 14:27

Yea Ive got it Ill see how it goes as matt said. How do u attract followers LOL im just gona rant about things, currently holidaying in finland. Have a blog about that but the twitter will be good for the micro-blogging things
Shinoki
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Shinoki » 15 Dec 2009, 14:33

Dempsas I'm not expert but I have had a couple randoms follow me when they see a random tweet of mine. But the few other followers I have seem to have gravitated from my blog. In the side bar I have a widget that shows my most recent tweets. So that may be a good way to connect the two.

Return to “General Discussion”